How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

L-RANDLE

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember guys, the only real difference is maybe a few deltas is HP/Main and secondary stats that we have been well past the DR on since 2.0.

Also, because if the way the EXP equations work, you technically could get max EXP damage reduction, without going all the way up to 2018EXP. The numbers don't line up perfectly, so as I tank I can carry less by intentionally nerfing buy using 186 on a few slots to knock my EXP down from 2018.

Randle are you saying using a 186 OH in PVP instead of Dark Reaver OH with comparable stats allocation will generate higher damage even with lower expertise? Or does this only apply to damage reduction / tanking.

Randle are you saying using a 186 OH in PVP instead of Dark Reaver OH with comparable stats allocation will generate higher damage even with lower expertise? Or does this only apply to damage reduction / tanking.

Both kinda.

1. Specifically bolstered MH damage for weapon damage based classes is still broke as far as I can tell. I haven't looked at it closely, but my tooltip damage was better using 186 hilts with EXP mods/enh/crystal, than it was wi h BiS Brute when 3.0 hit. Ms. Cleo predicts that Dark Reaver is probably better, but by how much? On par, my child..

2. Last I calcd, my EXP was at 1958 and I had 36.7% mitigation. Since mitigation is hard capped at 37.5%, so theoretically, I only need around 2000EXP to get full mitigation, not the full 2018EXP, so I carry a bit less by "intentionally" nerfing my EXP on my MH, and still get a ton of extra damage due to the "bug". This part is all based on me being a "tank" (I call myself a "battle tank", tank spec/stance, balanced gearing for offense and defense).

Edited by L-RANDLE

Randle, if you have a minute, I have a rather interesting problem I'm running into with bolster:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=801335

So far, no one I've spoken with on fleet has the first clue.

Hey man, I answered you... The issue is the weapons

You can have 162/156 hilt/barrel/armor, 148 mod, 148 enhancement or this set up 162/156, 148, 140

Your current setup is -

MH - 156 / 150 / 156 / 136

OH - 156 / 150 / 156 / 136

Hey man, I answered you... The issue is the weapons

You can have 162/156 hilt/barrel/armor, 148 mod, 148 enhancement or this set up 162/156, 148, 140

Your current setup is -

MH - 156 / 150 / 156 / 136

OH - 156 / 150 / 156 / 136

Answered in the other thread, and thank you - very much appreciated.

Testing the information about bolster in the original post, I've found it to be wrong.

Some background. Up through 59, I was able to frequently be near the max on damage, kills, etc. When I hit 60, I used this thread to gear up (along with the pvp video). I got absolutely CRUSHED in 162 gear using bolster to get to the maximum of 2018. No contest at all. I was dead last in damage and kills.

Some people said in ops that bolster isn't as important as it's made out to be, so I switched to my full 186 pve gear mid-warzone, ending up with ~1100 expertise. My survivability quadrupled and I was able to kill and do damage once again.

It may not make sense with math, but in real time in game, it's how it works. It's best to use maxed 186 gear at Level 60 while you replace your pieces with the pvp gear, and you just replace each piece the second you have comms for it. Granted, it may depend on class (I'm a sorcerer fully spec for pve ops), but that's my experience in actually doing this stuff in game.

It makes no sense to me either. The math doesn't add up. My theory is that there is a bug somewhere that changes the numbers, a bug that I can't see. All I know is that with full 162 gear bolstered to 2018 expertise, I got my *** handed to me. When I changed to my 186 gear, my performance increased enough to survive and do objectives and kill anyone else not in pvp gear.

Testing the information about bolster in the original post, I've found it to be wrong.

Some background. Up through 59, I was able to frequently be near the max on damage, kills, etc. When I hit 60, I used this thread to gear up (along with the pvp video). I got absolutely CRUSHED in 162 gear using bolster to get to the maximum of 2018. No contest at all. I was dead last in damage and kills.

Some people said in ops that bolster isn't as important as it's made out to be, so I switched to my full 186 pve gear mid-warzone, ending up with ~1100 expertise. My survivability quadrupled and I was able to kill and do damage once again.

It may not make sense with math, but in real time in game, it's how it works. It's best to use maxed 186 gear at Level 60 while you replace your pieces with the pvp gear, and you just replace each piece the second you have comms for it. Granted, it may depend on class (I'm a sorcerer fully spec for pve ops), but that's my experience in actually doing this stuff in game.

It makes no sense to me either. The math doesn't add up. My theory is that there is a bug somewhere that changes the numbers, a bug that I can't see. All I know is that with full 162 gear bolstered to 2018 expertise, I got my *** handed to me. When I changed to my 186 gear, my performance increased enough to survive and do objectives and kill anyone else not in pvp gear.

You know your damage output is 50% less... You take about 30% more damage and higher Crit damage and you reduce all healing done to you by healers... When I am healing I rarely waste my resources healing people with low expertise when properly geared people take less resources to heal

My guess is your teams were different and you compared weekend play to week day play... Im also guessing your healers had to keep you alive... Sure you can put out decent damage if you wear higher gear... But you can put out more if you wear the right gear... I've tested this theory on 7 characters now... Not only on the dummies doing parses but also in WZs and single combat in Outlaws den against friends

Lastly you stated you can kill other people, in PVE gear... That's not hard if they aren't skilled or also have the wrong PVE gear equiped... What you have to realise is a lot of people in PVE gear may not be that skilled at pvp

You are using anecdotal evidence and hyperbole. There is only a few and certain ways HP/Main>EXP, pure 186 builds isn't one of them.

I posted these formulas to show the difference. This is just output now:

y=1.6x

Or

y=1.4(x+200)

Where x= tooltip attack rating

Which slope you want to be on?Edit: this type of formula assumes you have +1000 willpower over bolstered willpower which is in the 3000 range iirc.

And you are harder to heal since your mitigation is too low.

Edited by L-RANDLE

So if i am lvl 15 and just started lvl'ing a toon for PvP how should i go about getting over 1900. Should i use all lvl 11 greens or use my lvl item mods?

You won't be able to get 2018 expertise until lvl 20 at the earliest... Most can get it at lvl 21 once you fill every slot

Always try to use the highest gear you can afford for your lvl... Blues are always better than greens... Also don't let your gear lvl fall below 5 lvls under you (max)... You miss out on some secondary stats as well as health

I'm seeing lots of people in the mid bracket using green lvl 21-27s... Even at lvl 40... They have less then 29k health and are the first to complain that everyone is OP

Obviously once you get to 55 things change...

The Devs have announced a update to the Bolster system when 3.2 comes out... I will update my thread once it does

Also don't let your gear lvl fall below 5 lvls under you (max)... You miss out on some secondary stats as well as health

I did not realize that... In the past, that hasn't been an issue since I've done a lot of PvE, but one of my toons I'm leveling almost exclusively be PvP, and he has definitely had lower level gear. I'll correct that immediately, before I queue again.

Thanks for the tip!

Hi, I have a question... been playing the game since start day, but kinda new at PVP haven't done any in over a year,

just now started a PVP toon, it was doing good till I hit level 41, now it seems is instant death and opposite team are immune to everything I throw at them even level 31s.. with bolster I have 2018 exp, all level 41 blue armoring, mods, and enhancements, and augments with power, I guess my question is what numbers should I be running for lighting on a sorc?

Hi, I have a question... been playing the game since start day, but kinda new at PVP haven't done any in over a year,

just now started a PVP toon, it was doing good till I hit level 41, now it seems is instant death and opposite team are immune to everything I throw at them even level 31s.. with bolster I have 2018 exp, all level 41 blue armoring, mods, and enhancements, and augments with power, I guess my question is what numbers should I be running for lighting on a sorc?

As you get closer to 60, bolster will slowly reduce your secondary stats... So it is important to keep an eye on those...

Percentage wise you should aim for this, even at lvl 60...

101% accuracy (means not equipping any)

24-25% crit

70% surge

5-6% alacrity

Then stack as much power as possible and use overkill augments

The other thing is to work out what your Crit rotation/priority is... At lvl 41 you should have lightning strike (replaced by lighting bolt at lvl 57) and chainlightning...

In pvp it's difficult to get crushing darkness off all the time... But you should try to as much as possible after you use Lighting flash (increases the speed of casting crushing darkness)

Start the rotation/priority with affliction, (polarity shift/recklessness if on cool down) thundering blast... This procs chainlightning as an instant cast (chainlightning also refreshes afflication), then lightning strike and possibly chainlightning will Crit again... You can do all of these while you are moving... Then cast lightning flash and crushing darkness if you are able to... Thundering blast should be off cool down by then, so use it again, then lightning flash, chainlightning (refreshes afflication) and then lightning strike... Rinse and repeat... If you have had to switch targets, remember to drop afflication on them first...

For defences, try dropping unnatural preservation and dark heal on yourself in between some casts to keep your health near maximum

Use Force Storm Sparingly... But before you use it or in between FS casts (don't spam), make sure you cast chainlightning, this will Crit your FS and then FS has a chance to Crit chainlightning again... Use it to put pressure on the healer while they are grouped together... Stop people rush capping... Drop on Bads all in a group when they continue to stand in it (lol)... Use Polarity shift while doing so

Remember to keep Static barrier up always

Lastly, if you don't already do this, learn how to LoS around obstacles to avoid damage, but also time it to continue your rotation without being interrupted

They're the basics... The rest is practice and knowing the enemy... Each class you come up against will require a slightly different approach... Remember you have Force Slow, stun, interrupt and overload to keep them at a distance or from escaping

Edited by Icykill_

• 4 weeks later...
So what does it take to be a ranked lv Commando healer...I don't see many of them.

You have to enjoy being the only heal class with a heal that points them out to everyone in eyesight while playing a class that is easily dominated by Ranked players of other classes.

At least, that's what I get from the forum postings on it.

• 2 weeks later...
After all this time, and STILL the highest ranked pvp gear is still not BiS. I find it hard to believe a group of people working on a game in this day and age can be this incompetent. This needs to be their number one priority. Inexcusable....

After all this time, and STILL the highest ranked pvp gear is still not BiS. I find it hard to believe a group of people working on a game in this day and age can be this incompetent. This needs to be their number one priority. Inexcusable....

It is sad... But what would you spend all the rest of your ranked comms on once you were geared... It's not like you can send them to other toons now that they have closed the strong hold decoration work around... Guess that's why they don't BiS

It is sad... But what would you spend all the rest of your ranked comms on once you were geared... It's not like you can send them to other toons now that they have closed the strong hold decoration work around... Guess that's why they don't BiS

Well you can send everything over except relics/ear/implants, assuming you got the legacy MH/OH, along with the other legacy gear slots. They really should open it up fully so you can choose to equip other toons and not have to be subjected to a comm or credit grind. We need players and forcing players to do either of the grinds prevents then from queuing...

Well you can send everything over except relics/ear/implants, assuming you got the legacy MH/OH, along with the other legacy gear slots.

That works for jedi / sith. For trooper / bountyhunter and scoundrel/operative, legacy MH/OH are worthless as the mirror classes can not wield the same weapon types.

• 4 weeks later...
I just turned 60 on my jugg and want to PVP. I'm wearing all 162 gear and my expertise rating is just barely over 1800. How do I get to 1900?

1) Check your PvE gear to make absolutely sure it's rating is 162, not 168 or some other combinations in there. It's easy to forget you put a 172 blue mod in a different piece of gear.

2) No PvE gear should ever contain +expertise item. This is a common mistake by putting a +41 expertise crystal in a weapon that has PvE mods.

3) When you go into a warzone, it will tell you which pieces of gear are below the recommended expertise. Look at that gear specifically in regards to points 1 and 2 above.

If you do these basics, and you purchase 1 or 2 PvP items, you should be around 1950 expertise very easily.