Disappearing Crafting Recipes!

SithKoriandr

These are both great questions! First, every bug that we know about will not make it to the Known Issues, and there are a few reasons why we may not put something on the list right away, even when we know about it:

Exploits.
Even when we know about them, we certainly want to keep players from abusing these bugs before we are able to fix them.

Bugs we are actively investigating but don't have a definitive "who, what, when, where, why" for.
Often, these types of issues will end up in their own thread or post where we are gathering information. To answer your first question, this particular issue is one in this category. Yes, we know that schematics are disappearing for some players after they learn them. However, we are still trying to get more information about the topic, so acknowledging it here and asking for more information is the first step. When we know enough to confidently say what the issue actually is, then it will be added to the Known Issues list, because it effects gameplay.

Performance issues.
Because we will always need to be collecting data from players about anything performance related, these types of issues will generally get their own thread in the Customer Support forums where we can get players to post logs, dxdiags, etc, to help the developers.

It doesn’t affect gameplay enough, and the list needs to be kept to a reasonable size.
This is the reason that the second example you gave is not listed. Generally, this will include bugs with art (floating rock), typos, voice overs, sound effects, and other small things. However, there will always be exceptions to this, especially when the bug is related to combat.

Hopefully this helps you understand how we decide what goes on the Known Issues list, and we are happy that you look to it as a resource!

1. Exploits ... this bug is something that no one could exploit so ...?

2 Who, what, ... You had several of us posting information about this in several threads in several sub forums (crew skills, general, customer support). What more do you need?

3. The same as No.2

4.Doesn't affect gameplay enough ...? Are you kidding?

Like I mentioned, there were several threads with many players reporting this bug. I reported it on the 18 th of November. It took you 10 days to acknowledge this bug to be deemed your intention. 10 Days!!!

And for those 10 days you ignored every other section but "customer support".

Sorry to say it but you are just a sorry excuse of a Customer service. It's obvious you see cartel market bugs as priority. Quick money is all this company is interested in. And this CS is their flagship of incompetence.

I replaced biochem, bioanalysis and diplomacy with synthweaving, archeology and underworld trading. I lost every single blue and purple schematic in level range from 15 - 20. It happened 3 times (had to test it myself before I believed it was a bug and not my imagination), so I would say I lost around 5 blue and 3 purple schematics.

I wonder how long it will take you to fix this. It took you 10 days to acknowledge it :).

Oh ... and english is not my primary language, but I thought that the word "known" means something that is known to exist. But this is obviously PR talk, which uses entirely another form of English. So, would you be so kind and teach us this new and exciting form of English. Maybe many of our frustrations with your work will vanish once we understand why you "appear" to be so .... incompetent.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Exploits ... this bug is something that no one could exploit so ...?

2 Who, what, ... You had several of us posting information about this in several threads in several sub forums (crew skills, general, customer support). What more do you need?

3. The same as No.2

4.Doesn't affect gameplay enough ...? Are you kidding?

Like I mentioned, there were several threads with many players reporting this bug. I reported it on the 18 th of November. It took you 10 days to acknowledge this bug to be deemed your intention. 10 Days!!!

And for those 10 days you ignored every other section but "customer support".

Sorry to say it but you are just a sorry excuse of a Customer service. It's obvious you see cartel market bugs as priority. Quick money is all this company is interested in. And this CS is their flagship of incompetence.

I replaced biochem, bioanalysis and diplomacy with synthweaving, archeology and underworld trading. I lost every single blue and purple schematic in level range from 15 - 20. It happened 3 times (had to test it myself before I believed it was a bug and not my imagination), so I would say I lost around 5 blue and 3 purple schematics.

I wonder how long it will take you to fix this. It took you 10 days to acknowledge it :).

Oh ... and english is not my primary language, but I thought that the word "known" means something that is known to exist. But this is obviously PR talk, which uses entirely another form of English. So, would you be so kind and teach us this new and exciting form of English. Maybe many of our frustrations with your work will vanish once we understand why you "appear" to be so .... incompetent.

That list is for bugs in general not this specific bug

I think the main reason people are upset about it is indeed that it took 10 days to get an official response. This is just unacceptable in today's industry. Especially for a bug thats gamebreaking like this one.

I have had this issue on Armormech, and have dropped it in the mean time and replaced it with Bioanalysis. Just doing gathering skills is the only option I have at the moment.

This was on Jonelle, Commando on The Tomb of Freedon Nadd

I have the same problem the recipes that I learn the lost on reboot or when performing any load in the game please help :(

Sith-Marauder

* Synthweaving

* Schematics lost when i reloaded or logout

Edited by salazaro

To start with,I agree 100% with poster "symke" (couldn't have said it better :D). This isn't the first time I react on this

thread, so to stay polite I repeat ,I'm a SUBSCRIBER , and recipes missing in action ALWAYS AFTER RE:

1)not documented ( so before I realised something hit the fan....);3 or 4 blues and purples

2)documented:-Blue:-Redoubt Reinforced Fiber Belt

-Overkill Reinforced Fiber Belt

-Critical Rugged War Waistcord

-Overkill Rugged War Waistcord

-Redoubt Reinforced Armguards

-Redoubt Savant Bracers

-Purple:-Redoubt Synth Assault Belt

-Overkill Synth Assault Handgear

-Critical Assault Handgear

-General's Reinforced Fiber Belt

-Fervor Acolyte Sash

For some odd reason 2 recipes stayed ON the list :-Critical Acolyte Sash(Blue)

-Critical Reinforced Fiber Boots(Blue)

In the game I am a Jedi-Knight. Originally I took as craft-profession Armortech what I changed very quickly to Synthweaving.Other 2 professions(Archeology+Underworld Trading)stayed from the beginning the same. I started

crafting with this Jedi Knight AFTER the release of patch 1.5 . I hope this is enough information . Let me point out that I have been very cousious in crafting (for obvious reasons)......So what the loss is for other people...........?

Edited by Kengas

1. Exploits. Even when we know about them, we certainly want to keep players from abusing these bugs before we are able to fix them.

thanks for the lol. If that were true the market wouldn't be flooded by mods,enh,armorings,hilts,barrels like it is now. Also, people are still abusing the bug because you still haven't fixed it! Pretty much ruined 1.4,1.5,and 1.6 because everyone is already geared out. Now we have nothing to farm for. You guys really dropped the ball on allowing people to abuse the system and get away with it. Should have banned all the players or at least removed all credits from all the abusers, but now that you let everyone get away with it they think they can do whatever they want in game with no consequences. That is becoming more evident with the other rules being broken especially in public chat channels.

What class are you? Commando

What is your crew skill? Armortech

What was the name(s) of the specific schematic(s) that you lost? Every single RE from the first items craftable up to current level items at 270 skill

I too changed my crafting from Armstech to Armortech before F2P patch, it has failed since.

This might have been an adequate response five or so years ago. However, this is 2012, and your customer base is used to a knowledge base approach rather than a list. Please create a section of the knowledge base for known issues and relabel the "known issues" as "hot issues" and refer people to the knowledge base for what are truly "known issues."

It will save you and the player base a lot of grief, and retain significant player good will over what you've squandered on this sort of thing in the last year.

You don't need to let us into your scrums or bugtracker, but put *something* in a section of the knowledge base in concert with what you describe above, and you'll save in CSR time, forum heat, and retention.

Respectfully and with great love for the game,

Shava Nerad

30 yrs on the net

former indy game CEO

probably running CSR groups before you were born

still somewhat regretting not getting the game testing/QA position at INFOCOM in '79

Lulz. Gotta love that self-aggrandized posturing. :p

These are both great questions! First, every bug that we know about will not make it to the Known Issues, and there are a few reasons why we may not put something on the list right away, even when we know about it:

Exploits.
Even when we know about them, we certainly want to keep players from abusing these bugs before we are able to fix them.

Bugs we are actively investigating but don't have a definitive "who, what, when, where, why" for.
Often, these types of issues will end up in their own thread or post where we are gathering information. To answer your first question, this particular issue is one in this category. Yes, we know that schematics are disappearing for some players after they learn them. However, we are still trying to get more information about the topic, so acknowledging it here and asking for more information is the first step. When we know enough to confidently say what the issue actually is, then it will be added to the Known Issues list, because it effects gameplay.

Performance issues.
Because we will always need to be collecting data from players about anything performance related, these types of issues will generally get their own thread in the Customer Support forums where we can get players to post logs, dxdiags, etc, to help the developers.

It doesn’t affect gameplay enough, and the list needs to be kept to a reasonable size.
This is the reason that the second example you gave is not listed. Generally, this will include bugs with art (floating rock), typos, voice overs, sound effects, and other small things. However, there will always be exceptions to this, especially when the bug is related to combat.

Hopefully this helps you understand how we decide what goes on the Known Issues list, and we are happy that you look to it as a resource!

Thank you very much for the response.. I recommend perhaps including this on the known issues list so it helps more of us understand how the list works, it certainly will increase the short term tolerance for issues not making the list.

As a comment why keep the list short? as a Tech support rep this seems illogical to me, on bugs like GFX issues and such, as long as its known and will eventually be fixed then you move on but are satisfied its being dealt with. It also gives the community the satisfaction of seeing it go away when its fixed.

May I also request you discuss when an issue is identified and requires more information, you make a specific thread and request the information, especially any details your looking for such as in your original post where you asked for clarification on if its a general or class/skill specific issue.

This would both let the community know you are aware of the issue, Soliciting information to isolate and solve the issue is the valid first step on any troubleshooting path. It also should cut down on the # of threads on a topic making your gathering of data faster which then gets us a faster resolution. I believe as a community we want to help, we want less bugs in the game and are willing to help in that regard.

Oh FYI: ghost corpses can affect combat.. they can block the view and therefore mouse targeting of others, there aren't too many spots that is critical but a few places you can draw in larger groups and end up with 3-4 standing view blockers making it difficult to see past the tank to target efficiently.

Again, thanks for the response, thats the first really positive CS interaction I have had in months.

Hey Ansalem,

I am unfamiliar with what you mean? Can you elaborate? Was there an exploit with mods etc?

yes there was a major exploit that we saw with 1.4 launch that they addressed and you can probably see on the dev tracker from last month. The mod/enh/armoring/barrels/hilt system was set up so you couldn't RE boe items crafted by other players. Well the exploit is that you slide the item into your piece of equipment making it bind and then remove it from the item. It destroys the crafted by and makes it so you can then RE and learn the schematic. On my server Prophecy of the Five pretty much every guild has most of the schematics and it caused a huge influx in the market for the first few weeks. Now the system is crashing because most people are geared out already in full 63 mods. Many players opened bug reports and other reports about people who were knowingly abusing this and since bioware took its sweet time investigating it there were so many players who assumed it was okay that many many players did it. Now Bioware afraid of losing so many customers to bans etc just rolled over and said sorry our bad we will fix this before the next tier of gear comes out and then did not punish any of the offenders. Because of that at least on my server people think they can get away with anything they want now. General chat has turned into a worse version of barrens chat from WOW. The people that ask others to obey the rules get bullied out of chat and off the game because the players think they can do whatever they want now. Complete snowball effect that Bioware should have nipped in the bud.

What class are you? Jedi Shadow

What is your crew skill? Cybertech

What was the name(s) of the specific schematic(s) that you lost? Every single earpiece I've RE'd since the F2P patch.

I had changed my crafting from Biochem to Cybertech before the F2P patch.

Every single RE'd schematic I get from earpieces will disappear like clockwork if I zone or re log.

just started playing and at second day lost 2 purple and 4 blue schemes.

looks like (very hope) it UI bug and schemes still "known" on server side. reasons:

1. i can't learn same schemes again. lost 2 blue schemes from one item, RE like 100 same items, quickly got 1 blue and nothing more. of course it can be random, but looks like schemes still marked as known and therefore can't be got again

2. purple schemes on top of ui list (augments) do not disappear

3. ui schemes list definitely damaged. sometimes i see [+augments],[+heavy armor],[+medium armor] and after all sections several heavy armor schemes, not grouped into [heavy armor]

questions (except when it will be fixed) are:

1. is there a way to use crew skill via command line in chat? like "/craft "Critical Military Belt". maybe schemes accessible this way

2. is there a way to reset UI, remove all local settings? like /ui_reset command or maybe remove all local data from disk and registry (where it located?), maybe it 'cache' ui data and then cleanup can helps

Edited by rustot

What class are you? juggernaut

What is your crew skill? synthweaving

What was the name(s) of the specific schematic(s) that you lost? all blue recipe from reverse-engineering.

as far as i know it has only happened on a toon to whom i ve changed the crew skill since F2P

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we're still heavily investigating this issue and your reports have helped. If you are currently experiencing this issue, please refrain from reverse engineering items until we provide a solution to this. This issue only occurs when learning schematics from reverse engineering. You can still learn schematics from trainers and items without any problems.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Wow, this really sucks. I lost a bunch of purple quality recipes. I was specifically crafting and RE'ing a pile of gear to do this. I lost all my schematics I discovered on top of the resources I used to get them. I really hope this is fixed soon. This is a huge bug and it looks like it's been going on at least a couple weeks. :(

EDIT: For the record, it seems to happen when or after I log out. When I login, anything I discovered through RE'ing in my last session is gone. This is through Synthweaving.

Edited by GrmFaust

Class: Inquisitor/Sorcerer

Crew skill: Synthweaving

Created a Customer Service Help Request in game.

Lost 1 green purchased schematic.

1. Heavy Thermal Belt (green)

Lost 4 blue schematics learned through RE.

2. Critical Heavy Thermal Belt (blue)

3. Redoubt Heavy Thermal Belt (blue)

4. Overkill Heavy Thermal Belt (blue)

5. Critical Combat Synth Waistcord (blue)

I think they were lost at logout time.

If you are experiencing this issue, please post with the following information:

Two cases, both probably with more than the listed schematics lost, but only able to verify these based on what I actually have equipped on self or companion that says "Made by <character name>" on them.

What class are you? Mercenary

What is your crew skill? Armormech

What was the name(s) of the specific schematic(s) that you lost? Critical Tempered Mesh Armguards

What class are you? Jedi Guardian

What is your crew skill? Synthweaving

What was the name(s) of the specific schematic(s) that you lost? Redoubt Reinforced Fiber Armguards, Redoubt Heavy Thermal Handgear

Thanks for your work in investigating this problem. :)

• What class are you?
  • What is your crew skill?
  • What was the name(s) of the specific schematic(s) that you lost?

• What class are you?
    Bounty Hunter - Mercenary "Vexton"

Armortech

Redoubt Heavy Military Body Armor
    Redoubt Hardened Assault Belt
    Redoubt Tempered Mesh Belt
    Overkill Durable Combat Gloves
    Veracity Hardened Assault Belt
    Commanders Durable Combat Gloves

Any chance of getting these "Lost" recipes restored once the problem is fixed??

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we're still heavily investigating this issue and your reports have helped. If you are currently experiencing this issue, please refrain from reverse engineering items until we provide a solution to this. This issue only occurs when learning schematics from reverse engineering. You can still learn schematics from trainers and items without any problems.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

This is not entirely correct. Let me provide my details as an example:

Class - Jedi Shadow

Crew Skill - Artiface

Lost Schematics - all RE'd focus and generator schematics I got a blue for, and Red Sharp Crystal, a schematic I purchased from the GTN and learned manually. I didnt even notice this problem until I lost Red Sharp Crystal, and since then have started to watch, which was when I noticed I lost the blue RE obtained schems. I have not changed crew skills and this character new from the time of F2P launch. I have a red sharp crystal I made before I lost it, and when I activate RE and hover over it, it shows that I cannot learn anything from RE-ing it. I havent seen this schematic again on the GTN, so Im not sure whether or not it shows that I still know the schematic or need to relearn it.

Also, since the time I noticed these issues, I have also learned Blue, Green and Yellow Sharp Crystal from schematics purchased on the GTN. I will update if they disappear as well.

We appreciate your reports about this issue, and we are actively researching the problem.

• What class are you?

While we are working to ensure the fix for an upcoming patch, there isn't a definitive time frame for the fix. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Class: Bounty Hunter/Mercenary

Crew Skill: Armstech (originally accidentally picked Armourtech then switched)

Schematics Lost:

Reflex Barrel 3 (Originally bought from trainer, have rebought this)

Overkill Ion Sniper

Hawkeye Ion Sniper

Critical Ion Blaster

Tempest Ion Blaster

But the latest one that really caused me to rage was the the

General's Sonic Ripper

because a friend was waiting for this as we've just hit the right level and it took a lot of time and resources to get it.

In addition, I had lodged a customer support ticket a week ago when the first occurence happened, but I've had absolutely no response. I've even updated it with additional comments since but I've still received absolutely nothing. It's nice to show you really care about your subscribers... or is it that you already have my money you feel I can be cast aside?

This is happening to me also - level 23 shield generator - learned 2 RE's for new generators, logged out and then back in and the new schematics are gone.

Juggy

Artifice

level 23 shield generator (no clue what I lost but both there defensive shield types)

Edited by Aleeha