Regarding Lucas' treatment of the franchise

Petrus

For anyone who’s crushed about the ret con that’s occurred in parts of the SW franchise, I suggest checking out a story by Philip K. Dick (the author of Bladerunner).

The book is called The Man in the High Castle. In it, several characters are obsessed with a popular “alternative history” where America actually won the Second World War (I know, the book’s a mind trip).

In the end, some meet the author and discover an important lesson about putting too much faith in one man’s vision.

Now, some things I've learned from Philip K. Dick and applied to Star Wars:

--A counterfeit can be better than the original (see The Phantom Edit).

--Creators ply their craft for money; you are the sucker who pays them for it.

--Finally, as Dick asks, “Who, and what, are the agents behind the interpenetration of true and false realities?”

Answer that question for yourself, and time spent in Lucas' universe will be much less frustrating.

Edited by Petrus

If you haven't read Philip K. Dick's assorted works at this point I honestly don't know what to say to you besides..."really?"

The man was clearly paranoid delusional and possibly schizophrenic with a psychotic break, but so much of his writing is seminal.

As for Lucas' treatment of the series, it all stems from two things: one, Lucas is a perfectionist. Like Coppola, his mentor, he is capable of shepherding great visions just as easily as he can crush them with his filmmaking OCD. Two, Lucas never felt like he had gotten to tell the story he wanted to with Star Wars. He probably still doesn't. That's not a good feeling, and when you're a multi-billionaire who owns the rights, you're allowed to change things. Which isn't to say that you ought to, simply that you can.

The book is called The Man in the High Castle. In it, several characters are obsessed with a popular “alternative history” where America actually won the Second World War (I know, the book’s a mind trip).

America, along with allies such as Britain, actually did win WW2. I think you meant Germany.

America, along with allies such as Britain, actually did win WW2. I think you meant Germany.

No, it's an alternate history in which the characters ponder an alternate history of their own, which would be our history where the Allies won the war.

This is Phillip K. Dick we're talking about, here.