Adegan vs. Kyber. Questions

PadawanWill

So, on Ilum the Empire and Republic are fighting over the planet's Adegan crystals. Are Adegan crystals just weaker forms of Kyber crystals? Has Kyber not been discovered yet? Also, I always thought that without a crystal a lightsaber couldn't function. the color crystals in lightsabers in the game are easily removable and seem to provide only coloration and a minor power boost, is this an example of mechanics=/=lore or is this significant? Id love to hear from better lore researchers than myself.

According to wookieepedia http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Adegan_crystal and http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyber_crystal. The short version is that...

Adegan crystals come from the Adega system. While there are other star systems where force users can acquire focusing crystals for their lightsabers - like Ilum - Adegan crystals are special. However, the phrase "adegan crystal" is often used as the name for ALL focusing crystals, even though not all crystals are Adegan crystals.

This is akin to real world brand naming for generic items. When someone has a headache or other pain they ask for Tylenol or Advil not Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. When someone has to blow their nose they sometimes ask for a "Kleenex", they are not asking for the specific brand of facial tissue, they are just asking for facial tissue.

So in the Ilum story when they are talking about "Adegan Crystals" on Ilum there are a few possibilities:

#1 - like someone asking for Advil, the NPCs are using the "brand" "Adegan crystals" like Tylenol to represent all lightsaber crystals

#2 - they may have encountered deposits of focusing crystals on Ilum that are indeed special like the focusing crystals from the Adega system.

However the most likely answer is...

#3 - BW (randomly) decided that Adegan Crystals are the ancient form of Kyber Crystals; that 3500 to 3000 year BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin) Jedi and Sith used Adegan Crystals. And then later at some point before the PT, the Jedi discovered "Kyber Crystals" and started using them because they are more abundant than Adegan crystals.

From a game mechanics standpoint...

At launch there were far fewer variations of color and they would have different stats. However, this lead to "problems with lore and immersion"; too often (while leveling) a color crystal with "better stats" would drop but it would be an "undesirable" color; e.g. a Jedi would get a red crystal with "better stats" than the green crystal they were using, from a game mechanics perspective it was beneficial to use that red crystal but a LS Jedi running around with a red lighsaber was "weird". or vice versa: a sith would get a blue/green crystal that was "better stats" than the red they wanted to use. I vividly remember my LS5 JK Guardian (tank spec) using a Red endurance crystal and Scourge having a Blue power crystal, and I laughed my ***** off

So with one of the expansions - I forget which one - BW made the decision that all "color crystals" for weapons would all have +41 to a stat and would only require level 10. Furthermore all weapons come with a generic no stat crystal (so they can function). This allowed the player to choose a color they liked and be able to stick with it; From a game mechanics perspective the "color crystals" for weapons are purely cosmetic; they are not Adegan nor Kyber crystals from lore :)

I thought the idea that all lightsaber crystals are kyber crystals is a recent retcon by Disney?

I remember earlier lore talking about kyber crystals in jedi sabers, that kyber is naturally light sided so Sith have to dominate them, causing them to be red.

I remember earlier lore talking about kyber crystals in jedi sabers, that kyber is naturally light sided so Sith have to dominate them, causing them to be red.

That's a Disney canon thing, I'm pretty sure. From The Clone Wars, probably.

As others have said, Kyber crystals (not to be confused with Kaiburr crystal) are a new addition to the canon that would have happened after the Illum arc would have been written.

And the idea that dark side lightsabers are red due to being corrupted by the force user (a process called "bleeding") is even newer, first mentioned I believe in the Ahsoka novel last year. Prior to that they were red because the Sith like them red, so the natural crystals they sought and synthesized were red.

Prior to that, there was no connection at all between saber colour and alignment. Ex. the lightsaber Luke gave to Leia prior to the Corellian incident was red. It wasn't until the prequels when everyone start going, "hey all the bad guys have red lightsabers..."

As others have pointed out the Kyber crystal being the determinant for color is a new canon thing. In legends there were many types of focusing crystals, heck even in KOTOR you're able to use a Krayt Dragon's pearl as a focusing crystal. However Adegan Crystals seem to be a catch-all term, Kyber crystals could've been discovered later as some have pointed out as TCW is part of legends.

It's also worth mentioning that back in the early days, the focusing crystal was just any old crystal, so long as it was pure enough, it would work.

Ex. Corran used a regular old diamond in I, Jedi, which actually goes into a fair amount of detail in regards to lightsaber construction. Of course, it's all been changed since then.