Non-Force classes: Do you find...

DarthRhaze

It harder to play them within the constraints of some type of universe/game lore.

Like, for example I am dying to play an IA Sniper, but every time I start to play I realize I am a little respected insect compared to my Sith overlords... :(

I know it's logically and realistically stupid, but it never feels worthwhile to play a non-force user in a SW game knowing that you will never be anything compared to a Jedi/Sith.

Anyone have the same weird notion stuck in the back of their brain?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played some (like 10 levels) of the imperial agent and I think it is nothing compared to a bounty hunter. My bounty hunter is a lv 22 and I love him. I like the rockets and the hit and run shooting technique. I was not missing the force or a lightsaber for one second. I felt like I could take down a Jedi or two

Well as a non-force user your character is exceptional, like head and shoulders above every other mere mortal. Sure the jedi and sith are playing force volleyball, but you can keep up simply because you're that good. I don't feel intimidated by Sith/Jedi, unless I'm in character, then I show respect but not fear.

Well as a non-force user your character is exceptional, like head and shoulders above every other mere mortal. Sure the jedi and sith are playing force volleyball, but you can keep up simply because you're that good. I don't feel intimidated by Sith/Jedi, unless I'm in character, then I show respect but not fear.

Quite true. Imperial agents are biologically bred, cybernetically enhanced, and trained from a young age to fulfill their role. They are the best in the galaxy at what they do.

The troopers you play as are the elite, the special forces. You have nearly the amount of training the imperial agent would, and just as ****** of equipment.

Bounty hunters have their experience, clawing from the small time paydays and gradually earning their equipment, along with gaining valuable combat experience along the way. The bounty hunter you play is in this game is already an experienced fighter. Smugglers are the same way, It's all experience.

Not really, bounty hunter is the only non force user i have, and he treats the empire like dirt tbh. Its all about the pay day, they need him more than he needs them kind of thing and it works really well. You can also go down the imperial angle as well but its not as much fun for me.

If you're looking at it it from an RP angle, it can definitely be crushing. But if it's bothering you then you need to access the character you're playing and why it's getting to them so much.

My main is an Imperial Agent (sniper) and my boyfriend plays a Sith Inquisitor (sorcery). At one point while we were questing together my character called another Sith "my lord" and when she and my bf's character left that area she turned to hs character and said, "You know, every time I call one of them 'My Lord' I really mean 'You idiot'. Because they must be stupid to take my face value words as genuine respect when they've done nothing to earn it."

I think that in part, especially since this is a hugely story based game that involves playing with other people, the weight of Jedi / Sith v.s. non-Jedi / Sith, especially in the Empire, can make an actual player feel uncomfortable in some RP situations. Because of the way my character plays with other people in this regard, and my reasoning for her 'correctness' in cutscenes, I have no issue with her background / place in the empire / etc. at all.

Anyway, that's my two cents. :)

I would say the thing to remember is Jedi and Sith are faily common, and thus the number of ways and means of killing them, and the number of people who know how to will be many.

Remember that Jawa Shaman, whose existance could have ruined the Sith Orders place.

The Sith were worried aboyt being overthrown by the Non-Force users

I'm surprised you feel like this!

You see the main draw for me to play Imperial Agent was that exact reason! She's no Sith force wielder wizard zap zap swoossch, but rather she's a common human being (albeit perhaps enhanced with technology).

I always did like the thought of having a normal person taking down Jedis and Sith due to fantastic skill and practice, showing that the universe isn't all about who has the most amount of lightsabers.

She likes the Empire, but not the Sith. All the "My Lord" is just because it'd be rather dumb to piss off a Sith Lord- but then again, it's also a dumb idea to piss off a Moff!

Some of the fun is earning that respect :) I play a BH and my friend plays an IA; we're running through the game together so I get to see two non-Force-users and how they respond to Jedi and Sith, and how they're treated.

The BH is often looked at with disdain by high-level officers, but she's had plenty of opportunities to voice her opinion to the effect of, "you're not the boss of me (and where's my money?)". She can smartmouth Imperial Intel and military officials because they need her guns and they know it. I don't remember a lot of her actual interaction with Sith (probably hasn't had much); Darth Malgus doesn't seem particularly prejudiced against her in FP briefings, and generally treats her with the sort of respect you'd expect for talented hirelings. Maybe a tiiiny bit of contempt for her payday mentality... :D ("I've worked with bounty hunters before; you'll get your payment.")

My friend plays his IA as a loyal Imperial, but he occasionally gives a little lip to those above him who aren't exactly in his chain of command (random sidequests, FPs, Darth Jadus...). Don't want to mention anything too spoilery, but he seems to get his share of respect as well.

Both characters are utterly contemptuous of Jedi, probably for slightly different reasons. XD

I will say, it's a lot of fun to run around somewhere like Balmorra, where a fair number of the Imperial quest-givers are basically like, "we've heard how awesome you are," "it's an honor to work with you," "heard you do good work", and so on -- makes it feel like you really are building a reputation, and you don't have to keep proving your worth from the ground up everytime you go somewhere.

Never feel that a Non-Force User is inadequate. My Commando can fearlessly step in to a fight against a Sith. Hell, look at the Hope video where the soldier tackled in to Malgus without fear and nearly whooped his ***. And look at the Number 1 contender, Boba Fett. He has killed more Force-Users than most Jedi or Sith and has a collection of lightsabers himself. Boba Fett, a non-Force User, went in to a lightsaber fight with Darth Vader, the black engine of destruction, and WON. He has wit, he has experience, cunning, and everything you need to get by. Bounty Hunters and Agents in this are no different. Both of them have the tools necessary to take down their adversaries. I could seriously sit here and provide an extensive list of Non-Force Users who have kicked Jedi and Sith ***.

I know it's logically and realistically stupid, but it never feels worthwhile to play a non-force user in a SW game knowing that you will never be anything compared to a Jedi/Sith.

My first Character was an agent and I found how they've approached the Sith-Imperial relationship is brilliant.

You learn, whether they realise it or not, that Sith rely on you. With that reliance comes a certain amount of power, which you can use for your own purposes.

I think what I'm trying to say is that people in the Star Wars Universe have this pre-defined view on force-users, through the story, of at least the Imperial Agent, you learn that these are just views and behind the force they are still people, people who make mistakes, have obsessions and can be hurt.

I hope you'll consider playing other classes as they are worth playing.

Edited by Explosivity

I think one of the main reasons I personally like the Star Wars games is the fact that force users are also sword users. This is usually a choice in other games, sword or spellbook, but rarely a jack of all trades.

That said, I agree with Bounty Hunter being an equal to a Sith or Jedi in both lore and selfworth. Great CC, and abilities that make you feel like you have a definite place, also IMHO the best troop of companions.

The cool thing about this subject is that Force Users are considered more powerful in the Star Wars Universe. This consideration has leaked into the "real world." This shows how story telling really effects a game and the character one plays. Edited by Skeedodemus

On the contrary, my vision of the Jedi have always been a powerful person. When I made a jedi (padawan) I felt like I was in diapers. The story keeps pushing you down instead of up, the choice a way too self-righteous and there is sadly no gray line, everything is dark or light.

When I played my Trooper, he was always praised, he is saving the republic. The padawan has to fight weaklings while all the jedi sit by and tell him how violence is not the answer. Go kill 30, but don't have fun! I am sorry, but the jedi knights on Tython are so weak it makes me puke. They get pushed by creatures that should be dispatched in a swift stroke by anything more than a civilian, let alone by a group of teaching jedi... These guys can't dispatch those creatures and tell me I have to learn from them, yeah right.

Sure the jedi are powerful, but the way the story is told, it just feels like they are weak, obsessed and not able or morale choice. They are bound by their righteous religion and aren't able to think for themselves, they are drones.

I haven't played the sith, but I am sure they empower your, not destroy your credibility.

I always figure, as an Agent, that I'll lie to anyone, including my superiors, right up until I have enough dirt on them to toss them to the wolves. Calling a Sith "My lord" is smart since it sets him at ease and makes it easier for your to cast him aside/blackmail him later.

At least so I imagine it.

For my Bounty Hunter, I get tons of options to give lip right back, so there's not much of that Sith Superiority going on. But these guys are signing my pay stubs. I just charge extra for courtesy.

Well in the Sith Empire, yes as an Imperial Agent or Bounty Hunter you are inferior to the Sith, at least from a social standpoint. This has nothing to do with combat powers or anything else, it's purely a social standing.

But in any sort of feudal system you always had the avg citizen being socially inferior to the nobility, which is what the Sith really are in this case.

One thing is Bounty Hunters aren't actually Imperial Citizens so they're going to behave differently and have different options.

Republic side it's a bit different, Jedi aren't considered the nobility and aren't treated as being quite so socially superior to the common citizens. They will typically treat you with a large degree of respect, but my Jedi has never been refereed to as "My Lord".

It harder to play them within the constraints of some type of universe/game lore.

Like, for example I am dying to play an IA Sniper, but every time I start to play I realize I am a little respected insect compared to my Sith overlords... :(

Not me. Every time my operative gets one of those posturing sith talking about how awesome they are, and how they're so superior, she just thinks to herself "I could destroy you in sixteen different ways, and you'd never see it coming..." and tunes out their blather.

Sure, she's not on the dark council, and can't throw rocks with her mind. But she is one of the most skilled, highly-trained, and lethal assassins in the Empire. She can infiltrate places that even sith lords hesitate to set foot, kill people who are considered "unkillable", and with a flick of her wrist (and a few choice words) topple council members due to what she knows.

Why should I care about the respect of the pajama-wearing flashlight-wielders? The people that MATTER respect me. And fear me.

I am an imperial agent. I might smile and bow and nod when you're posturing, but just keep this in mind: There are at least sixteen different ways I could destroy you...

So yeah, my imperial operative doesn't feel less important. ;)

Edited by LyriaFrost

There's is something to be said about the power of wielding force and infamie that comes with being a sith lord. I mainly role with my assassin, but in beta I played mainly BH and I still think it was the most enjoyable class I played because of the story and sheer coolness of the weaponry. I just didn't want to go back to it at launch because I didn't want to retread the same ground all over again so soon. But I can definately feel the class beckoning me back. There is something about being beholden to no one. As another poster said, the empire really needs you more than you need them.

As an Imperial Operative I view my role as one of immense power. She has tons of dirt, secrets, and other information that the Sith would loathe to let out into the public. It gives her a huge upperhand when negotiating with the Sith or dealing with missions from various sources. She's the reason the Sith Empire thrives. Plus, the Sith Marauders/Juggernauts/Assassins would fail miserably without her adroit healing skills on various missions.

Even a Sith or Jedi can die if you blow up their ship is all I am saying, and that doesn't take all that much more than a thermal detonator in the right spot.

All you have to do is be twice as sneaky, twice as devious, and be willing to use every cheap, down, and dirty trick you have to take them down. Even if it means strapping a bomb to an ewok and telling it to go hug a Jedi!