[BUG]: nightmare mechanics implemented in SM & HM DF/DP !

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I quit this game.

The freaking silence is deafening from BlatherWare, whether or not it is "working as intended"... just stupid. I can't wait for Wildstar as I am getting more and more fed up with these bugs. Something is up with the AOE's now also... I get a reticle ready to place and if I don't need it anymore, I used to extend this reticle beyond its max limit and click it off... but it won't click off anymore! If it is a cybertech grenade then it instantly casts where it is (usually where it does no good) or if it is a salvation with 3 stacks of resplendence then it instantly casts even while moving. UGH. Having to change gameplay is aggravating for simple SM and stupid mobs in dailies. You expect it for HM but simple crap like this for casual players makes one want to uninstall like I did GW2. Hurry up Wildstar!

The freaking silence is deafening from BlatherWare, whether or not it is "working as intended"... just stupid. I can't wait for Wildstar as I am getting more and more fed up with these bugs. Something is up with the AOE's now also... I get a reticle ready to place and if I don't need it anymore, I used to extend this reticle beyond its max limit and click it off... but it won't click off anymore! If it is a cybertech grenade then it instantly casts where it is (usually where it does no good) or if it is a salvation with 3 stacks of resplendence then it instantly casts even while moving. UGH. Having to change gameplay is aggravating for simple SM and stupid mobs in dailies. You expect it for HM but simple crap like this for casual players makes one want to uninstall like I did GW2. Hurry up Wildstar!

For your AoE "bug" read the damn patch notes.

Hey could we get a response? We know you guys are busy...but many of us are subs and buy a lot of cartel coins. HA!

soooo letting your consumers know what is going on is just good business practice.

Edited by nnaydolem
spelling error

unless 2.7.1 is tomorrow - it is too long.

yes the fights can be cleared, but we went from 2 hours clear of both on hardmode, to having split nights due to adopting to new mechanics. since we're also trying to progress through NIM while still getting gear for the last few spots our group needs (damn implants and earpieces, at least Nefra NIM drops implants reliably now)

Grobthock also seems to have a much more random times in addition to magnet moving faster. we've been clearing that fight for a long time, to the point where our tanks can pretty much kite him in their sleep...except last night. haven't noticed changes on Bestia other than pink circles, all the issues with Tyrans have been described already (missing tiles, debuff although it also felt to me like affliction was put out more often, but my favorite was putting simplification on both healers in rapid succession - is it just me or did he send it out more often as well?) Raptus seems more annoying than usual, with his attacks hitting 4 times as hard as they should.

yes, everything can be adopted to. but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. worst part is - all of these bugs are not just in hardmode. they are also in storymode and THAT needs to be patched and patched fast.

Edited by Jeweledleah

Hey could we get a response? We know you guys are busy...but many of us are subs and buy a lot of cartel coins. HA!

soooo letting your consumers know what is going on is just good business practice.

They confirmed it was a bug here

This is correct. It is a bug and is going to be addressed in 2.7.1. :tran_smile:

I get that it's not sev 1 issue (down systems), but it's at least sev 2 impact 1. I would think it should warrant an out of cycle patch. Not really a big fan of having to wait 2 more weeks since they've moved the minor patch release to 3 weeks cycles (to "extend QA" no less).

I'm just confused how NiM DP mechanics managed to be delivered... it should've been on a completely separate stream...

2.7 PTS branch-------PTS complete, deliver↓
Integration stream (production) -----------↑↓-------------------------------------------------------2.7 Release---↓----------->
                                                                      2.8 Internal branch---------------------------------------------------Rebase

A very rough diagram (missing sustaining streams, etc). The 2.8 stream shouldn't have posted any deliveries anyway. I dunno how their streams are setup, but it seems wonky if 2.8 code touched 2.7... did the 2.8 stream get branched off the 2.7 stream? Then 2.8 code got delivered into 2.7 mistakenly?

Even worse, does it mean that it's all just sub functions that don't check for conditionals? Shouldn't the constructor for these boss objects be checking the difficulty before it creates them?

• 3 weeks later...

As of Game Update 2.7.1, the issue with the Nightmare Mode mechanic being present in the Corrupter Zero encounter in Hard Mode Dread Palace remains. Specifically, all the Elite/gold adds (one in each wave during the encounter, as well as the first two in the initial pull) have the buff that prevents them from CC'd. This was definitely not the case prior to Game Update 2.7, and would appear to be a Nightmare Mode mechanic that has "leaked" into Hard Mode.

Please fix ASAP! As I stated in my earlier reply, while I'm all for trying the Nightmare Mode mechanics eventually, I'd rather do it the old fashioned way until we're ready.

A very rough diagram (missing sustaining streams, etc). The 2.8 stream shouldn't have posted any deliveries anyway. I dunno how their streams are setup, but it seems wonky if 2.8 code touched 2.7... did the 2.8 stream get branched off the 2.7 stream? Then 2.8 code got delivered into 2.7 mistakenly?

Even worse, does it mean that it's all just sub functions that don't check for conditionals? Shouldn't the constructor for these boss objects be checking the difficulty before it creates them?

I doubt they're using Git. :-)

Most "industrial" development houses that I've seen use a single-branch model for nearly everything and mask in-progress work behind feature flags. These feature flags have a tendency to get insanely convoluted over time. In this case, I think the problem was actually a mode flag. Specifically, the Nightmare Power buff (which has always been present, just hidden). Certain elements of the boss scripting probably didn't check the flag appropriately. As we've seen, Bioware's QA process is often woefully negligent and simply doesn't try certain content before release, which is how something like this would slip through.

As of Game Update 2.7.1, the issue with the Nightmare Mode mechanic being present in the Corrupter Zero encounter in Hard Mode Dread Palace remains. Specifically, all the Elite/gold adds (one in each wave during the encounter, as well as the first two in the initial pull) have the buff that prevents them from CC'd. This was definitely not the case prior to Game Update 2.7, and would appear to be a Nightmare Mode mechanic that has "leaked" into Hard Mode.

Please fix ASAP! As I stated in my earlier reply, while I'm all for trying the Nightmare Mode mechanics eventually, I'd rather do it the old fashioned way until we're ready.

We've run into this as well. Members of our guild and others have posted on this. No one seems to have gotten a reply. The adds during the laser phase also seem to hit like a truck sometimes, bursting 3K+ hits 8 or 9 times a second on some players. We had 15 of 16 up going into the phase and everyone got dropped.

The fights are somewhat bugged but you can still clear them.

Draxus: CC the Despoiler

Tyrans: as soon as you get Simplification, jump down and click the Holocron

Grob'Thok: moar deeps.

I know that sudden new mechanics can be annoying... But you can still work to clear it.

As of Game Update 2.7.1, the behaviour of the Despoiler in the Draxus encounter still seems to be different to what it was prior to Game Update 2.7. During our raid today, with two DPS beating on him, they had the Despoiler to below 30% at which point he managed to heal himself to full in one cast.

Is this intended? While we can deal with it, I'd like to know whether this is a permanent change or a bug that was introduced along with the addition of Nightmare Mode mechanics to DF.

During our raid today, with two DPS beating on him, they had the Despoiler to below 30% at which point he managed to heal himself to full in one cast..

Well there's your problem. 2 DPS hiting one target and letting him get a cast through even with two interrupts and a presumed multitude of stuns, mezzes and knockbacks to interrupt the cast. :p

Well there's your problem. 2 DPS hiting one target and letting him get a cast through even with two interrupts and a presumed multitude of stuns, mezzes and knockbacks to interrupt the cast. :p

Given we weren't expecting any change in hard mode, it took us a while to work out what's going on. The point is that the Despoiler's behaviour changed. If that was intended, fantastic. If not, it should be reverted to its old behaviour.

And should a single cast really refill its health bar, healing itself to full? Only Sages/Sorcs can do that! :)

The 2.8 stream shouldn't have posted any deliveries anyway. I dunno how their streams are setup, but it seems wonky if 2.8 code touched 2.7... did the 2.8 stream get branched off the 2.7 stream? Then 2.8 code got delivered into 2.7 mistakenly?

A couple things that could have happened (and I'm not saying that they're likely or I think they did):

• DP NiM was supposed to be in 2.7 at some point and not all pieces of the code were removed
  • DP NiM was patched in 2.7 but there is no way to access it until 2.8
  • Someone really ****** up

Okay, so we're all pretty damn sure the last one is true :)

Tait, can we get an official reply from you guys as to whether or not the Corruptor 0 adds being immune to CC is supposed to be in HM or not? I fully expected the change to be reverted in 2.7.1 but, alas, it is not.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumpity bump.

To summarize:

Draxus: Despoiler is healing much faster.

Grob'Thok: Magnet is moving much faster.

Zero: Gold adds are now boss immune. Can't be CCd or interrupted.

Not in the patch notes anywhere as being implemented for HM. If this change was intentional, PUT IT IN THE NOTES.

If not... TELL US AND FIX IT.

I'm now wondering if they're studying the metrics to see how many groups have been blocked by the unintentional (or so we think) changes... and if people are still getting them down, may just leave them as is.

The Despoiler change was unexpected, but strategically easy to deal with (stun and nuke the guy). Took us a bit to work out what had (unexpectedly, without warning) changed. We didn't actually notice any change to the magnet's speed (it's faster?), but that's an easy fight anyway. We finally got Corrupter Zero down, and honestly dealing with the gold without CC was simpler overall.

I suppose 2.7.2 should be out on Tuesday, so I guess we'll soon know if there'll be any change before 2.8...

Yes, it is unfortunate that some changes occurred to DF HM that were not specified in the patch notes, but in my opinion, the changes are appropriate for hard mode difficulty.

Previously the Dispolier in DF HM did nothing. The fact that it now actually heals something likely means that these mobs are finally operating as intended.

The magnet in the Grob'thok fight in hard mode is still moving at the exact same speed that it always has. I've seen no change in that fight.

Not being able to CC the Gold mobs in the Corruptor Zero fight also appears to be an appropriate mechanic for hard mode difficulty. The Mercenary Snipers and Demolitionists in the Thrasher HM fight have boss immunity, and the Demolitionists do have cast bars.

While these are not perfect examples, as the mobs are actually Champions in these fights, Boss Immunity is given to the Jealous Male with his knock-backs in The Writhing Horror HM, the Dread Guard adds with the Mass Affliction cast in the Dread Guards HM, and the Regulators casting End Of Line in Operator IX HM.

That's all well and good that you think these things should occur in HM, but here's the thing...

They are also in SM.

Which makes me think this is nightmare mechanics bleed, just like the bugs they fixed for Dread Palace.

Yes, it is unfortunate that some changes occurred to DF HM that were not specified in the patch notes, but in my opinion, the changes are appropriate for hard mode difficulty.

The point is that they appear to be unintended. As pointed out, they're in story mode too. Personally, I don't care if they keep them all, but at least acknowledge them in some patch notes somewhere. And take them out of story mode.

I'm always willing to give BioWare the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes a mistake is just a mistake, and needs to be fixed. No need to try to justify it!

Ran a 16 man SM DF last night, full run for comms/weekly. Noticed these things as well in there, along with either new or broke mechanics on Brontes. Fingers were spawning at different times, one time she bugged on the lightning sweep phase. As we were killing the droids, on my screen along with a few others, she was not rotating clock-wise as usual, as in not rotating at all. On a few people's screens, she was rotating counter clock-wise.

Was definitely some weird stuff going on last night.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a few noticeable issues in HM Brontes encounters recently:

1) In 16M, the orbs spawn extremely rapidly on some pulls. Survivable but annoying

2) One pull the Hands were hitting for inordinate amounts on the opening phase. One slam that killed me hit for 38K with hits before that hitting in a similar range. This happened on one, and only one pull, but every slam was hitting for abnormal damage

3) Slams were not destroying the Orbs during the rowed finger phase. The orb was out in front of the wave, the wave went out, the orb survived

4) Orbs were behaving erratically, moving forward, then backwards, then forward again

5) Orbs were not always showing up on radar or on screen

I guess only the first two would have been the only possible NiM leaks, but it seems that the Ops are becoming more buggy in general

They fixed the Simplification issue, but seeing that the Disruptor's heals and the unstunnable Golds for CZ have remained, it doesn't appear that they are intending to correct them.

1) In 16M, the orbs spawn extremely rapidly on some pulls. Survivable but annoying

2) One pull the Hands were hitting for inordinate amounts on the opening phase. One slam that killed me hit for 38K with hits before that hitting in a similar range. This happened on one, and only one pull, but every slam was hitting for abnormal damage

3) Slams were not destroying the Orbs during the rowed finger phase. The orb was out in front of the wave, the wave went out, the orb survived

4) Orbs were behaving erratically, moving forward, then backwards, then forward again

5) Orbs were not always showing up on radar or on screen

I guess only the first two would have been the only possible NiM leaks, but it seems that the Ops are becoming more buggy in general

They fixed the Simplification issue, but seeing that the Disruptor's heals and the unstunnable Golds for CZ have remained, it doesn't appear that they are intending to correct them.

We had one pull in 8M last night where it seemed the orbs spawned really fast. I think one of us two tanks just missed one and it seemed like it spawned extras.

No idea what's going on if you saw extra damage, maybe just really really unlucky on mitigation?

As far as the slams not destroying the orbs that's due to the server not updating your position quickly enough to register that the cone is in the correct position. The best way to deal with this is to jump as soon as you get in position to force a position update.

Orbs stuttering in position sounds a lot like some hardware issue more than anything else.

Orbs not showing up could be due to memory leak issues. How long was your game running without a restart before you saw this happen? If my game has been on for a while, sometimes it takes a while for spawned objects to show.

Was one, or both, of the Hands attuned the second time (i.e. pushed to 60%) very quickly? If the Hands are pushed to 60% too quickly, the debuff the tanks picked up from the original Hand they were tanking will not have expired yet. Therefore when the tanks pick up their original Hands again for the push to 40% they will take the massive damage hits that you saw until that first deduff they picked up falls off.

Easy problem to correct. Just be patient in pushing the hands to 60% to allow the original debuffs to fall of the tanks.

Was one, or both, of the Hands attuned the second time (i.e. pushed to 60%) very quickly? If the Hands are pushed to 60% too quickly, the debuff the tanks picked up from the original Hand they were tanking will not have expired yet. Therefore when the tanks pick up their original Hands again for the push to 40% they will take the massive damage hits that you saw until that first deduff they picked up falls off.

Easy problem to correct. Just be patient in pushing the hands to 60% to allow the original debuffs to fall of the tanks.

Good point on that one. I just figured he was talking about the hands during the 6 finger phase. If it was the initial hands, then yes, the tank had his attunement still and will get his face rocked.