Bolster - Do you even need to grind the new gear?

WannEras

After seeing how much of a boost bolster is giving, it seems regardless of gear everyone is pretty much sitting around the same HP and stats.

So is it even going to make much of a difference whether you upgrade your gear? How much of a boost on top of the current bolstered stats is min/maxed tier 3 gear going to give?

45% crit, 70% surge, 15% alacrity, 3.5k bonus damage and 130k HP with mostly 208 gear but fully augmented with the 228s seems a bit over the top as it is.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would help if someone with 208 and 224 could post their stats while bolstered in a warzone. (Augments, stim needs to be similar of course.)

The thing is u have to rip your 224 stuff from other gears in order to get a good load out for PVP as you have too much accuracy. Frankly i dont want to bother with doing that atm :)

It would help if someone with 208 and 224 could post their stats while bolstered in a warzone. (Augments, stim needs to be similar of course.)

I could do this once I'm at home in the evening. :)

On topic: so far I think bolster is actually doing quite a good job. I haven't really noticed a big difference between someone in 208's and someone in 224's. If there won't be a big difference between 208's and the new top tier gear either, then I would be quite happy, since then actual skill we be a much more important factor then gear. As it should be. :p

Edited by AmarantKando

208s vs 224s isn't the issue. It's akin to wondering whether 190s were better or worse than 164s pre 5.0.

The big deal is going to be how much better lvl 70 tier 3 gear is going to be.

This is true. Could be akin to before where you were bolstered pretty good so long as you didn't go over a certain gear level.

That and its about the sets. Fine if you had the sets already but not so much if you have a new toon.

208s vs 224s isn't the issue. It's akin to wondering whether 190s were better or worse than 164s pre 5.0.

For that you'll have to wait several months at least.

For that you'll have to wait several months at least.

So several months of a bolster system that seems to be working quite well...good deal. At the very least it is not the predicted disaster of gear deficit galore, so that is a good thing.

Even if top tier 3 gear will be an issue this will be a gradual problem not an overnight problem...people will slowly grow in power and that will at least give BioWare time to adjust the bolster.

Posts like this one keeping tabs on the system in a positive fashion will likely get their attention regardless if they respond in the thread or not.

So several months of a bolster system that seems to be working quite well...good deal. At the very least it is not the predicted disaster of gear deficit galore, so that is a good thing.

Even if top tier 3 gear will be an issue this will be a gradual problem not an overnight problem...people will slowly grow in power and that will at least give BioWare time to adjust the bolster.

Posts like this one keeping tabs on the system in a positive fashion will likely get their attention regardless if they respond in the thread or not.

You do realize that the main reason for the "predicted disaster ..." was the lack of communication from BW. I've seen the question about bolster at least several times on the forums and on the livestreams too. I haven't seen an answer to that question.

In the end it's good to know that at least for pvp the gear grind won't be a problem.

You do realize that the main reason for the "predicted disaster ..." was the lack of communication from BW. I've seen the question about bolster at least several times on the forums and on the livestreams too. I haven't seen an answer to that question.

In the end it's good to know that at least for pvp the gear grind won't be a problem.

I was one of the people that suggested Bolster was a potential solution....Regarding their communication I thought the streams were a nice touch albeit a controlled and safe environment for them...

They did not touch down on many PvP topics though to be sure....However when they get something right rather than complain or scorn about a different issue It should be said....It seems they got this particular thing right.

Edited by Soljin

I suggested 208 vs. 224 as it can be tested right now. If we saw a huge discrepancy, then it would be reasonable to assume that 208 vs. 240 (with set bonus) would be even bigger. If bolster makes the difference negligible then PvP is at least not worse off, but I fear that will not be the case.

Not sure if this is related OR true :confused: but i just found this question on reddit

But I saw a post suggesting that the bolster is static to slightly below lowest level gear for the current level, which sounds kind of(not really) right for PvE but definitely not PvP...

Can anyone clarify this, please?

:confused:

Edited by Glower

I suggested 208 vs. 224 as it can be tested right now. If we saw a huge discrepancy, then it would be reasonable to assume that 208 vs. 240 (with set bonus) would be even bigger. If bolster makes the difference negligible then PvP is at least not worse off, but I fear that will not be the case.

I'm getting the "they got it right this time, but we will be ready for them to mess it up!" vibe from this thread.....Hopefully Bolster is fine all the way through the curve.

Is it just me, or is there something funky going on with bolster?

As I replace my 208s with 230s (into augmented shells) my tech bonus damage (bolstered in warzones) is actually going down.

Edited by Jherad

Is it just me, or is there something funky going on with bolster?

As I replace my 208s with 230s (into augmented shells) my tech bonus damage (bolstered in warzones) is actually going down.

Hmm, that seems like the old bolster except there is no more expertise to compensate.

Hmm, that seems like the old bolster except there is no more expertise to compensate.

So basically here is the summary if this is accurate...

1- Regular WZ's give between 500 and 600ish CXP per match (By some considered to be the best way to grind CXP in the game currently)...

weeklies and dailies give minimal returns so they are more of a conquest/command bonus than anything now....Not a priority to complete really....

2- Gearing up actually lowers your stats in 70 WZs AKA gear is not needed to PvP and matter of fact is a bad idea......

Isn't this basically what "The PvP community" was asking for? Kinda seems like it.....Keep your 208 gear, tune out the rest of the game.....

Perfect world for the self proclaimed PvP community advocates.......

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess someone is going to come back with a complaint regardless......

Edited by Soljin

1- Regular WZ's give between 500 and 600ish CXP per match (By some considered to be the best way to grind CXP in the game currently)...

weeklies and dailies give minimal returns so they are more of a conquest/command bonus than anything now....Not a priority to complete really....

2- Gearing up actually lowers your stats in 70 WZs AKA gear is not needed to PvP and matter of fact is a bad idea......

Isn't this basically what "The PvP community" was asking for? Kinda seems like it.....Keep your 208 gear, tune out the rest of the game.....

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess someone is going to come back with a complaint regardless......

Yes, if this is the case the system would be perfect. The only problem I have with it is that we don't know if that' intended behavior or a bug. And even if that's the intended behavior it would still be better this change to be communicated and not make us reverse engineer again how bolster works.

Yes, if this is the case the system would be perfect. The only problem I have with it is that we don't know if that' intended behavior or a bug. And even if that's the intended behavior it would still be better this change to be communicated and not make us reverse engineer again how bolster works.

In all seriousness though....this may be the bolster struggling to hold an average....as you continue to gear the curve may come back around some.

I doubt we will get specifics on the bolster from BioWare to be honest....I think they are trying to keep a curtain up to limit criticism when adjustments are made.

Basically they likely are not disclosing that information on purpose....

Hard to say. BW's idea of stat allocation for PvP is very different from the best allocation in practice. Their bolstered stats could potentially be higher overall while being worse than what the proper allocation from wearing gear may offer.

Hard to say. BW's idea of stat allocation for PvP is very different from the best allocation in practice. Their bolstered stats could potentially be higher overall while being worse than what the proper allocation from wearing gear may offer.

Fine, but if it confines everyone to the same stats then PvP is in fact fair from a gearing perspective...Optimization becomes irrelevant when everyone has the same stats....It then becomes about what you can do with what everyone else playing the WZ has.....

It looks as though different pieces behave differently. As I've upgraded armor, bonus damage has taken a hit. However I just replaced both my weapons on my merc and bonus damage jumped again.

Someone may find that it is advantageous to maintain very specific item levels on very specific pieces. AKA we *may* be back to early bolster magic formula shenanigans (I still have some crafted blasters in my bank from that ridiculous state of affairs heh). Or I may be completely wrong about everything. Someone with more patience than me should check. :p

Edited by Jherad

Fine, but if it confines everyone to the same stats then PvP is in fact fair from a gearing perspective...Optimization becomes irrelevant when everyone has the same stats....It then becomes about what you can do with what everyone else playing the WZ has.....

So why wouldn't you just do this? Take the GW2 approach. When you enter instanced PvP, you are max level regardless of your actual level. You can choose any gear you'd like to equip, so everyone can choose their gear from the same pool.

Instead, SWTOR uses a mathmatical equation to calculate your stats based on factors that they don't release to players. So the only way to actually figure out the best way to gear is trial and error in warzones. And as I seriously doubt they made any changes to accuracy to make it useful in PvP or useless in PvE, two sets of gear will still be needed and anyone who is PvEing that needs accuracy, will be worse off in PvP where they don't.

So why wouldn't you just do this? Take the GW2 approach. When you enter instanced PvP, you are max level regardless of your actual level.

I have been saying that for years. Never going to happen here, but nice to know better games does this.