Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lack of performance patches - disappointing

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Lack of performance patches - disappointing

Nitrosnwbrdr
03.14.2012 , 09:41 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by booroco View Post
You know a lot of people do this and I'm not saying you guys have but check this out . Check the amps on the 12v rail of your PSU and then check and see what your GPU requires for amps on the 12 V rail . I was having fps issues and realised my Power supply was the right volts but not the right amps on the 12v rail . When i fixed that all my fps issues went away.
Just saying it might be worth looking into.
So very true, people believe a computer is only the GPU, CPU and Ram, but they always forget to list what

1. Make
2. Model
3. Wattage
4. 12v Rail amps + how many there are

their PSU is/has...

Even having something causing other power issue else where in the machine can cause other issue. USB peripheral not being recognized or even a defective device can draw a lot of power from your machine.

TheOnlyKyrenS
03.14.2012 , 09:41 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DigitalPrime View Post
I totally understand. Im not moaning in anyway. I know engines take time to become a companies own product. I know its gonna take time with BW to optimize this engine. I know this. Im just pointing out. Its easy to say "it must be your computer" when none of these posts have posted a video of there system running a massive open world PVP battle which has a high end frame rate. And i doubt they will!
I'm aware of the engine problems too. I in no way said that it was strictly a pc issue. Part of it is but I just wanted to point out that a guy was only getting 10 fps in ops fights and i was getting more so that there is a pc issue.
Quote: Originally Posted by corbanite View Post
oh great more constructive criticism.. god knows why some people think there are haters on this forum

RadricTycho
03.14.2012 , 09:45 AM | #23
Everything in computing has limits, including massive PVP battles. Just because 200 people on screen at one time is possible in this game, doesn't mean that all machines (or any machines) have to handle that kind of load. The game and engine designers cannot create a game where every load no matter how tough is handled flawlessly. So long as 200+ Ilum players need to compete against each other at the same time, there are going to be FPS drops, there just isn't a way around that.

Rest assured that if you are getting 20 FPS in the Ilum scenario, there are probably 199 other folks getting 20 FPS or less too. I think that many people try to compare FPS/console games with MMOs and are disappointed when the game slows down under heavy loads. MMOs are never going to always function perfectly unless the designers limit the number of people on any one shard.

The real solution is to do a sort of Instanced Ilum, or maybe something like Wintergrasp in WoW. Does anyone remember what it was like before Wintergrasp had a maximum player limit? Good Lord that was stupid.
Perhaps you think you're being treated unfairly?

sjmc
03.14.2012 , 09:46 AM | #24
There have been several patches which have improved my performance. Some of them improved performance in specific areas (such as Taris), and others improved overall performance (including the new "very low" texture option).

Tenceriker
03.14.2012 , 09:50 AM | #25
We can scream how much the Hero engine sucks but it won't make Bioware fix anything while they are still in denial about how bad 64bit SWTOR runs for many people.
Relabeling future patches as Expansions, just like EA Louse said a year ago. Who got the last laugh?

MajikMyst
03.14.2012 , 09:51 AM | #26
So your tell me, both them systems when on ilum. in a big open world battle with more then 40ish people dont drop at all?
I never said my FPS doesn't drop.. Please read my post..

Also, you only need 24 FPS for motion to look totally smooth.. That is the FPS of a movie.. Sure.. Our FPS drops in some areas and in some situations.. But never below about 35 to 40 fps.. Again all you need is 24 to be smooth as silk..

My only point was, there are other things people could be doing besides blaming the engine, which seems to be a main stay for any video game.. Even back in the days of the Quake engine.. People that couldn't run it said was the worst engine in history.. The Unreal engine got much of the same reviews from much of the same people.. As did the more recent Cry engine.. Seems that if your computer can't run it well due to lack of specs.. Blame the engine is the way to go.. Has been for years..

There is nothing wrong with the Hero engine.. No.. It is no perfect.. No engine is.. But it isn't the cause of all the FPS issues that people are having.. For that, people need to look no further then their own laptop or desktop computer.. I am sure that doing some upgrades or optimizations there will go a lot further in your gaming performance than it will to complain about the engine..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

MajikMyst
03.14.2012 , 09:54 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenceriker View Post
We can scream how much the Hero engine sucks but it won't make Bioware fix anything while they are still in denial about how bad 64bit SWTOR runs for many people.
Both my computers are 64 bit.. One is Windows 7 and the other is Vista.. No issues here.. There is no 64 bit version of the game so any statment about how bad 64bit SWTOR runs is incorrect to begin with..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

Stormnut
03.14.2012 , 09:56 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenceriker View Post
SWTOR is 32 bit not 64 bit.
I've got a bad feeling about this forum.

Phaedrynn
03.14.2012 , 09:57 AM | #29
LOL - Kid, its the engine, I have a 2700k @4.6 system with an XFX 7970 black edition. 16gb of corsair vengane memory, win7 64bit. When i go to illum (PVP area) id be lucky to get 20fps. Its the engine. Im not sure if you know about PCs, from your post, I doubt it, But a ATI 7970 and a 2700k should be able to eat up anything this game has to offer. Anyway....

Stop been a fanboy! this is a major problem.

What I would like you to do now is go to ilum, record your gameplay on fraps. Come back here and post the link to the video. Prove us all wrong !

Anyone who says its fine. record your gameplay and post back here.
If you are getting 20 FPS just *going* to Ilum, it IS your computer.

I have the same system (CPU/RAM/SSD), except I don't OC (it isn't needed with that system at all) and Im running a pair of GTX 560 Ti's. I get 50-60 FPS on Ilum.

First, I would suspect your OC isn't as stable as you think it is. Have you run Prime95 to ensure that OC is stable? OCing can actually degrade performance if you push too far.

Second, almost every single post I have seen claiming poor performance is using an ATi/AMD GPU. Most people running nVidia have few problems (though there are always exceptions).

Baracca
03.14.2012 , 09:59 AM | #30
it's not 200 vs 200. It's more like 10 vs 10 in Ilum. It's not the graphics card or CPU or anything on my system. Proof? Yea. With graphics turned all the way down, I can tell when I'm going to get jumped by 10-20 people in Ilum (FROM BEHIND) just by the game slowing down to a slide show. So tell me, why does that happen? Oh, I see, my PC is rendering all those polygons that are not even on screen that must be it.

Also, find a 100 FPS area like a tiny corner in your ship and mash the "b" on your keyboard or the character screen for that matter. Enjoy the slide show.

EDIT: PS, if it's an AMD issue, that really no excuse.