built in VOIP please.

dancezwithnubz

the main problem I got with this is A: not everyone has a mike, someone would complain the other team all has mikes and their team has only one or two with mikes and start yelling about a "mike imbalance", B: with all the trolls and pretentious people already in chat shouting random crap just imagine what would happen if those people were allowed to yell on mikes, I am imagining it now :"you are all noobs go **** yourselves you supid ***holes go to **** I am better than all you scrubs **** you you *********** ********es!", mute may fix that but still it had to be mentioned, and C: people talking all at once, at least in chat you can see each individual message, what happens if several people are talking at once and no one can understand it? and D: what kind of effect would it have on the game engine, would it cause lag or anything ( just a question not sure what it would do) Edited by Sangrar

I always post in these threads to say:

No. Awful idea.

But first, a word about your "doesn't have a life" thing- the amount of time to download and patch and log in to SWTOR far, far exceeds all the time to get Skype, Ventrilo, Mumble, and Teamspeak combined. The ability to type in about 40 characters worth of login info is also trivial. If you are losing to premades, it's not because you magically have a life. Heck, if you can't even be arsed to speak to someone in a chat program, you're more likely to be the one without one.

Now, on to telling you why this idea sucks.

1- Existing COTS Solution = Reinventing the wheel.

There's several free solutions, and some are even free software. EVERYONE already uses these. This is a PC game, so it doesn't require special hardware or some odd condition or setup. If you find a group to run with, they are already using voice much of the time. So, what does this buy the community? NOTHING. But what does it cost Bioware? A LOT! First, Bioware has to start coding from scratch, meaning they have to task several people with this feature. Second, this feature, once added, will have to keep kicking around, so it will have to be updated with future features. Third, Bioware has to monitor or check this data path through their system, so it adds a whole other dimension to their live support / customer server, so that ENTIRE BACKEND needs to be programmed, and voice is not a cheap data stack to keep around. Fourth, they have to ensure that the features offered and quality offered are competitive with the existing set of free solutions which already work in the general case. This is awful. This reason alone is why this idea is bad and will never ever happen.

2- If you can't be bothered to download a couple megs today, the odds of you being worth talking with are really low.

If you step from "casual" to "hardcore" by downloaded any of the many free options to do team speak, and that strikes you as insane, the odds of you having anything resembling communications are low.

3- The voice channel is only as useful as its least racist member.

It took me all of half an hour to realize that open party chat on the Xbox is ludicrous. Of course, I still play with my friends. I'm sure you CAN find a good group, but at some point, you will run into a bunch of total asses, and then what? When some kid comes in there and spams the voice channel full of awful, not only does customer service have to be spun up on it, but no one will stay in the voice channel at all.

4- The voice channel is only as useful as its least skilled member.

More subtle, if you put a bunch of random people in the channel, one of them being abusive or moronic is enough to keep the good players silent, or they will just leave- but even if everyone has their head in the game, wants to win, and isn't trying to burn the house down, a bad player giving bad advice ("fly in formation! everyone follow me to B!") will be very disruptive compared to other chat forms.

5- Voice chat failed in WoW

Maybe you don't play WoW, but it's a safe bet that way over half of SWTOR players have. I mean, the game is mostly based on it in every way imaginable. GSF is actually most notable for being entirely independent of any WoW offerings, in fact. In any event, voice chat was added to WoW back in like Burning Crusade (2006 or something). Literally no one uses it.

Here it was broken for like several months:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593622934

Note the single pageness of that topic. Note how they IMMEDIATELY tell them to use a third party app, because that is how this problem is solved.

No one wants reinvented the wheel voice chat. No one will use it. It's a bad idea. If it matters to you, buy a public vent. Or use any of the existing public vents, such as oqueue, pick a channel, and spam the info before the match. Or do anything at all except ask Bioware for an expensive bloated feature that will be opted out of by every skilled player the moment some prepubescent voice joins channel and starts calling everyone chuweros.

( Chuwero is from http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/10 , which has some curse words if you are seeking to avoid that).

No. Awful idea.

The current problem, though, is that your average joe has no obvious incentive to coordinate with his allies. In a team game, that's kind of an issue.

(Well, as much as GSF is a team game, anyway.)

In game VOIP would not help pugs become more coordinated. Immature players would spam and abuse VOIP just to be funny. Those who are seriously trying to use VOIP to help their team win would get frustrated because no one would listen to them. It would probably end with them cursing out the team for being uncoordinated and then quitting group.

I do wish there was more communication in the group. At least on my server I rarely see anything in chat besides and occasional 'hi' at the beginning and 'gg' at the end.

I wouldn't mind having it available. My two predictions are:

1) It will manage to break my Relaxed Vestments Chestwraps again.

2) Nobody will use it anyway (just like ME3 multiplayer's (yes, people still play that)).

best way of summarizing this :D

...as long as it's not some auto broadcast xbox style garbage.

Some musts :

I want to have to click a button to turn voice on, and when on, I want an option to mute people as I please, and I want people on my ignore list auto-muted.

Do something like that and it will rock.

Guild premades need a taste of pugs who can communicate just as fast as they can, and avid premaders only cry about in game voip because they know they are nothing without their advantages and just want to try and keep the farming going.

Otherwise they would simply accept the answer: "If you don't want to use it, just turn mute on/opt out, and your problem is solved", but no, they grab pitchforks and torches for another reason devs.

Signed.

I played Battlefield 2 for a long friggin' time. It came with built in VOIP for when you were in a squad & a radial button style prefab message spammer. All the squad leaders had a separate channel for comms with the commander. I don't *ever* remember an issue with a problem like is being described. If you think that society "can't handle" the less than 1% of the population who will be *****hats, then unplug yourself from the internet...

You cannot call that "nobody uses program X's VOIP", but that in this game we'd have immature racists using it to spread grief. (Either people don't use it at all or they use it improperly, you cannot call both!) We're not playing X, and overall OUR game population is really good at being humans.

And it is a mic, not a mike. (short for microphone)

I played Battlefield 2 for a long friggin' time. It came with built in VOIP for when you were in a squad & a radial button style prefab message spammer. All the squad leaders had a separate channel for comms with the commander. I don't *ever* remember an issue with a problem like is being described. If you think that society "can't handle" the less than 1% of the population who will be *****hats, then unplug yourself from the internet...

You cannot call that "nobody uses program X's VOIP", but that in this game we'd have immature racists using it to spread grief. (Either people don't use it at all or they use it improperly, you cannot call both!) We're not playing X, and overall OUR game population is really good at being humans.

And it is a mic, not a mike. (short for microphone)

I have played battlefield games with built in VOIP as described above, Planetside 2 has built in voip and can even be utilized as "area chat". never had a problem with either of these, literally never. I have however experienced the BS that is xbox VOIP, so I know what your talking about.

I think it has to do with the median age of people playing the games and in this case (correct me if I am wrong) but most of us here are not kids..... most ive seen are somewhere between 20-50. Anyways it could be a great way to help pug players understand more about playing the game well, and with a working mute function you could silence the tools.

I use TS3 and mumble on a daily basis, so im not in the "wont use it" crowd. I just think that if properly implemented could give a lot of value to the game with little to no drawback (at least nothing you cant handle with a mousclick or two)

Edited by DamascusAdontise

Guild premades need a taste of pugs who can communicate just as fast as they can,

Puggies are food. What would they communicate faster, their utter confusion about component choices, their poor selection of copilots, their tunneldps instead of objectives, and maybe strats to chase gunships into cap ships turrets more effectively?

"Ok, go in a straight line. All of us at once. Ok the cap ship turrets should finish us all... NOW. Ok everyone, quick tab out and make a GSF forum thread about how this was his fault!"

and avid premaders only cry about in game voip because they know they are nothing without their advantages and just want to try and keep the farming going.

Yes, I'm sure that's it, and not years of experience with this kind of crap.

If it's such a big deal to you, why not just go to any of the dozens of regulated and free ventrilo servers, hop in a channel, and then spam info every time you zone in? Why not? Costs you nothing, right? Why doesn't ANYONE do this, ever?

What makes you think they'd talk with VOIP? Or listen? The last game I was in, some super awesome king of poop spammed ops chat with dumb questions, while doing 0 damage the entire match, and namecalled people. How lovely it would be if he was in VOIP!

If this game was gonna gave voice, it would have been put in for the story modes, or the warzones, or all the things that are just like the wow things that no one cares about there. It would be a huge expense, and for no gain at all.

If it's such a big deal to you, why not just go to any of the dozens of regulated and free ventrilo servers, hop in a channel, and then spam info every time you zone in? Why not? Costs you nothing, right? Why doesn't ANYONE do this, ever?

Because it is unrealistic. And if the game had built in support (BF2, et. al.) it would get used.

You really think that people would tab out to load some random Mumble/TS3/Vent info and that they'd be back in a minute? I don't, since that is too much of a hassle. What about the late joiners who back filled someone's vacant slot? You honestly think that anyone is going to post the info for a late comer while they're dog fighting? How about lost time for the back fill to get into the proper channel/client/etc.? Bet you'd be happy if that guy was on YOUR team, huh?

Dude... be realistic. What is your issue with built in VOIP (assuming that *YOU* can opt out)? (In other words - Why don't you want other people to have this?) Is it that you will get called out as a gunship to hunt constantly? Both a compliment and a frustration at the same time no doubt... People can abuse chat the same way you have claimed they would abuse VOIP... zero difference.

Because it is unrealistic. And if the game had built in support (BF2, et. al.) it would get used.

WoW's doesn't.

You really think that people would tab out to load some random Mumble/TS3/Vent info and that they'd be back in a minute?

Maybe they could do it right after. Remember, you always play with the same small team anyway.

Why don't you want other people to have this?

It's just a stupid thing to have, it's that simple. It's like, everyone already HAS this, ok? It's a thing. On the internet. For PC and MAC! Everyone who wants this has it. Everyone who doesn't, does not.

All this would do in game is make people want to play less, because some dumb kid will call them names vocally. They'll either not queue GSF or turn it off.

And then there's the huge dev cost, which could maybe fix any of the other tech fixes.

Lemme break this down, since you still don't get it:

You will never have in game VOIP in SWTOR. I guarantee it..

Is it that you will get called out as a gunship to hunt constantly?

You caught me, I'm secretly petrified that the zero people who would use this will suddenly get coordinated. Oh wait, chasing me endlessly is already on their list. I guess I could be afraid that someone would mock them for flying into cap ship turrets and dying.

People can abuse chat the same way you have claimed they would abuse VOIP... zero difference.

The chat is worth very little as well, but, just like the BG chat in WoW, it is actually used. And just like the VOIP in WoW, the VOIP that will never be added to this game, would never be used if it were.

Edited by Verain

It's just a stupid thing to have, it's that simple. It's like, everyone already HAS this, ok? It's a thing. On the internet. For PC and MAC! Everyone who wants this has it. Everyone who doesn't, does not.

you're missing the point and frankly, i don't feel you're thinking rationally.

*******s who swear & curse are going to get mass ignored. they'll start finding it hard to get into matches. so, they'll have to get an Alt and start being a decent person.

sure, we can all GET voip comms, building it into GSF just marries what we've all got with the GROUPFINDER system.

He's saying everyone will opt out because that's what everyone does on the game that is the closest analogue to this one. It was a complete flop and a huge expense for no benefit - it's no wonder they aren't chomping at the bit to implement it. :rolleyes:

I can only hope that nobody at Bioware gives in to your whining that they make the same mistake Blizzard did almost seven years ago.

Edited by FridgeLM

No. Awful idea.

But first, a word about your "doesn't have a life" thing- the amount of time to download and patch and log in to SWTOR far, far exceeds all the time to get Skype, Ventrilo, Mumble, and Teamspeak combined. The ability to type in about 40 characters worth of login info is also trivial. If you are losing to premades, it's not because you magically have a life. Heck, if you can't even be arsed to speak to someone in a chat program, you're more likely to be the one without one.

Now, on to telling you why this idea sucks.

1- Existing COTS Solution = Reinventing the wheel.

There's several free solutions, and some are even free software. EVERYONE already uses these. This is a PC game, so it doesn't require special hardware or some odd condition or setup. If you find a group to run with, they are already using voice much of the time. So, what does this buy the community? NOTHING. But what does it cost Bioware? A LOT! First, Bioware has to start coding from scratch, meaning they have to task several people with this feature. Second, this feature, once added, will have to keep kicking around, so it will have to be updated with future features. Third, Bioware has to monitor or check this data path through their system, so it adds a whole other dimension to their live support / customer server, so that ENTIRE BACKEND needs to be programmed, and voice is not a cheap data stack to keep around. Fourth, they have to ensure that the features offered and quality offered are competitive with the existing set of free solutions which already work in the general case. This is awful. This reason alone is why this idea is bad and will never ever happen.

2- If you can't be bothered to download a couple megs today, the odds of you being worth talking with are really low.

If you step from "casual" to "hardcore" by downloaded any of the many free options to do team speak, and that strikes you as insane, the odds of you having anything resembling communications are low.

3- The voice channel is only as useful as its least racist member.

It took me all of half an hour to realize that open party chat on the Xbox is ludicrous. Of course, I still play with my friends. I'm sure you CAN find a good group, but at some point, you will run into a bunch of total asses, and then what? When some kid comes in there and spams the voice channel full of awful, not only does customer service have to be spun up on it, but no one will stay in the voice channel at all.

4- The voice channel is only as useful as its least skilled member.

More subtle, if you put a bunch of random people in the channel, one of them being abusive or moronic is enough to keep the good players silent, or they will just leave- but even if everyone has their head in the game, wants to win, and isn't trying to burn the house down, a bad player giving bad advice ("fly in formation! everyone follow me to B!") will be very disruptive compared to other chat forms.

5- Voice chat failed in WoW

Maybe you don't play WoW, but it's a safe bet that way over half of SWTOR players have. I mean, the game is mostly based on it in every way imaginable. GSF is actually most notable for being entirely independent of any WoW offerings, in fact. In any event, voice chat was added to WoW back in like Burning Crusade (2006 or something). Literally no one uses it.

Here it was broken for like several months:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593622934

Note the single pageness of that topic. Note how they IMMEDIATELY tell them to use a third party app, because that is how this problem is solved.

No one wants reinvented the wheel voice chat. No one will use it. It's a bad idea. If it matters to you, buy a public vent. Or use any of the existing public vents, such as oqueue, pick a channel, and spam the info before the match. Or do anything at all except ask Bioware for an expensive bloated feature that will be opted out of by every skilled player the moment some prepubescent voice joins channel and starts calling everyone chuweros.

( Chuwero is from http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/10 , which has some curse words if you are seeking to avoid that).

Here is a solution to all of your proposed problems. 1 word.

MUTE.

Thanks.