built in VOIP please.

dancezwithnubz

Puggies are food. What would they communicate faster, their utter confusion about component choices, their poor selection of copilots, their tunneldps instead of objectives, and maybe strats to chase gunships into cap ships turrets more effectively?

"Ok, go in a straight line. All of us at once. Ok the cap ship turrets should finish us all... NOW. Ok everyone, quick tab out and make a GSF forum thread about how this was his fault!"

Yes, I'm sure that's it, and not years of experience with this kind of crap.

If it's such a big deal to you, why not just go to any of the dozens of regulated and free ventrilo servers, hop in a channel, and then spam info every time you zone in? Why not? Costs you nothing, right? Why doesn't ANYONE do this, ever?

What makes you think they'd talk with VOIP? Or listen? The last game I was in, some super awesome king of poop spammed ops chat with dumb questions, while doing 0 damage the entire match, and namecalled people. How lovely it would be if he was in VOIP!

If this game was gonna gave voice, it would have been put in for the story modes, or the warzones, or all the things that are just like the wow things that no one cares about there. It would be a huge expense, and for no gain at all.

Problem with your "just use vent argument" is that people have to predetermine to meet in vent, and can't do it on the fly, which is the very reason swtor-voip would be nice to have.

Yes, if this is a feature that you can turn on and off globally, and has its own little pop up toggle, then I would hope it would let me have voip with flashpoints, ops, and warzones.

If it has its own box, much like the operations frame with a toggle key, you wouldn't have to mess with anything else other than giving it proper filter settings for where you are, and who you are currently grouped with.

If this was good for nothing else, it could allow half-mades to properly run the show.

-Power outage in Portland where 1/2 of tonight's op just happens to live?

Now there is half a pug you all have to nab ASAP to keep this going.

Ops leader can just speak instructions on the fly to all players with speakers, and get the ball rolling the second the op has been filled vs having to go through the "must have XYZ program, then join room 6654859445 vocxx.com/org.net, pass = broni-jedi" routine.

If I was in a gsf pug with built in voip and I had noticed a few other aces in the team, I could toggle my mic on and call out to one because I noticed that 4 opponents were all darting at them from across the map, for example.

I could also use it to let "gangslanga14" know that the rest of us would like them to stop trying to dogfight the capital ship.

Noobs are food, and mostly go in pugs, I'll give you that.

Maybe the noobs will become supernoobs though?

They may start calling out inc because they can just toggle a button vs "shift+z + enter + A inc + enter + shift+z", you never know.

I don't see why people who already plan to not use ingame voip care if it gets put in or not?

Why are you so sure the devs can't pump out a nice interface that other players actually do like?

Because WoW sucks?

I'll bet the good people at teamspeak for one example, could do an integration for a bowl of soup and a hot shower as far as big money is concerned, in the event that a chat engine is too much for EA to handle ;)

You said "What makes you think they'd talk with VOIP? Or listen? The last game I was in, some super awesome king of poop spammed ops chat with dumb questions, while doing 0 damage the entire match, and namecalled people. How lovely it would be if he was in VOIP!"

That is why I want people on my ignore list to be auto-muted in the event that I join a group they are in, and also have selective mute toggles beside player names on the interface, so that I can mute/ignore anyone who deserves it, painlessly.

That is an example of what I meant when I said "as long as it's not xbox style"

Without just "poo-pooing" the idea, is there something hurting your experience as a result of it's existence?

Tell that to Blizzard circa 2007.

Using 7 year old programming errors to justify you not wanting something (that has worked WELL in OTHER games) is like saying the Cowboys will win the Superbowl this year because of what they did in the 90s.

Its existence would cost resources that I would rather go to virtually any other project. Even the cartel market.

That is a very fair answer.

Unfortunately, only the devs themselves know exactly how much of their resources this would consume.

From a design standpoint, all the visuals are already created, the assets and all that is there, so if the implementation of VOIP through the engine turns out to be an easy cookie cutter endeavor, then these resources may turn out to be quite minimal.

Code nerds can crunch numbers much faster than designers and artists can pump out content(minus those dreaded re-skins), after all.

The work could be simple customization tweaking more than something made from scratch, as VOIP is really old and familiar stuff.

I think it is safe to say that if this were a major project, we would never see it, but if it turns out to be more simple than you realize, why the hell not?

Using 7 year old programming errors to justify you not wanting something (that has worked WELL in OTHER games) is like saying the Cowboys will win the Superbowl this year because of what they did in the 90s.

My example of adding VOIP to an already completed theme park MMO is about ten times more relevant to this discussion than any other example stated in this thread (as all of them were released with VOIP already integrated).