Can we get a developer dialogue going on why class stories are not in the cards?

ZionHalcyon

Yes, $10 for subs (which is what I paid)...and $20 for non subs. Funny eh? :mad:

It isn't worth 20 bucks in my opinion. 15 is even a stretch. I like the Makeb storyline but it is too short. The only redeeming value it brings imo is you get 5 levels and have access to 55 content.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the worst part about the lack of class stories is the disincentive to play subsequent alts through Makeb. I’m expecting that it’ll still be OK with my 2nd Imperial character and my 1st and 2nd Republic characters, but after that it’ll likely be too tedious to bother with any more alts (I have 12 so far). For me, that has essentially cut the scope of this game by 2/3 .

But there’s an implication to this that I haven’t seen discussed yet. That is, what happens when BioWare brings out Levels 55+? The only characters of mine that I’ll be able to take into the new levels above 55 will be the ones that have already gone through Makeb. I’ve only got one partly through Makeb, which happened to be the one character that had reached 50. Now I’ll have to carefully pick which other alts I’m going to take into Makeb, because I’m going to be stuck with them forever if BioWare keeps to their policy of no class stories.

A disturbing thought… maybe this is a sneaky way for BW to introduce P2W – You pay to get your remaining alts up to 55 without putting in the tedium. Machiavellian or what!? :(

I recently beat all 8 class stories and cancelled my subscription. I've been subscribed to SWTOR from the earliest possible point using the 6 month sub plans and still have some time left. I might pay for a month every now and then if I want to play one of my alts, but it certainly won't be the amount of money they'd get if I was subscribed 12 months a year. Alone the money I pay doesn't really have any impact on Bioware, but I'm sure there's tons of people like me out there.

The answer is simple: Because they can't sell the class advancement stories on the cartel market.

I rarely use the Cartel Market, but I'd buy all 8 expansions!

It isn't worth 20 bucks in my opinion. 15 is even a stretch. I like the Makeb storyline but it is too short. The only redeeming value it brings imo is you get 5 levels and have access to 55 content.

You'll get no argument from me. I didn't feel it was worth my $10...There should have been more there.

Edited by Lunafox

Regardless of what you think about Makeb, the point is they charged people for 2 faction storylines and people bought it, seems like most people did actually enjoy it. So I think it's not out of the question that they could produce class stories and charge a bit more for them. I'm not saying they will, just that it goes against the idea of "well, they can't put it on the Cartel Market so they won't do it".

Simply, if they don't have more class story and plot advancement regarding it, I'll just do my 8 class stories, Makeb twice (one for Republic, one for Empire... like I guess it was designed), and then leave. *clap clap* way to go Bioware.

I'd like an answer too. If not, whatever, I'll do what I just stated, and then leave.

Regardless of what you think about Makeb, the point is they charged people for 2 faction storylines and people bought it, seems like most people did actually enjoy it. So I think it's not out of the question that they could produce class stories and charge a bit more for them. I'm not saying they will, just that it goes against the idea of "well, they can't put it on the Cartel Market so they won't do it".

I enjoyed it, but it really irked me in spots story-wise....

I enjoyed it, but it really irked me in spots story-wise....

I didn't really mind Makeb. I ran it twice on 2 Imp toons but I'm struggling with my Trooper. There are parts of the planet that are so annoying (endless trash mobs with high-agro range), I am considering just leveling via PvP and wrapping up the faction story as quickly as possible.

Personally, if Bioware wants to "wrap up" class stories, that's fine with me. The problem is 1. They didn't make it clear from the outset that they were closed story lines (because they weren't, obviously) and 2. Many of the stories have loose ends. I think what a lot of folks are hoping for in this thread is that EA/Bioware realizes the error they've made regarding class story and choose to release another chapter (or 1/2 a chapter, whatever) that ties up some or most of the loose story ends (Agent, Warrior, JK, come immediately to mind).

I don't think that's too much to ask. Let's say for instance, they don't want to do full chapters. They could certainly send each class a datacron or holo vid. There are ways to do it. EA just has to want to.

Never mind an official response on the matter, which is yet to be seen...

I didn't really mind Makeb. I ran it twice on 2 Imp toons but I'm struggling with my Trooper. There are parts of the planet that are so annoying (endless trash mobs with high-agro range), I am considering just leveling via PvP and wrapping up the faction story as quickly as possible.

Personally, if Bioware wants to "wrap up" class stories, that's fine with me. The problem is 1. They didn't make it clear from the outset that they were closed story lines (because they weren't, obviously) and 2. Many of the stories have loose ends. I think what a lot of folks are hoping for in this thread is that EA/Bioware realizes the error they've made regarding class story and choose to release another chapter (or 1/2 a chapter, whatever) that ties up some or most of the loose story ends (Agent, Warrior, JK, come immediately to mind).

I don't think that's too much to ask. Let's say for instance, they don't want to do full chapters. They could certainly send each class a datacron or holo vid. There are ways to do it. EA just has to want to.

Never mind an official response on the matter, which is yet to be seen...

If they want to wrap up class stories, then fine, but don't do it in a sloppy quick manner. The game was built on the quality of story and it should be maintained.

What I'd prefer, honestly, is them to map out a total complete story, plan ahead how many levels they plan on going up to, and then conclude the story and the class stories at that level. Once that's done, instead of continuing to add levels and tacking more to a finished story, go BACK to the near beginning, and add all new planetary stories happening in the same time frame as the class story and planet stories.

This way, those class people get the joy of a complete story, and the devs once done can just do planet stories to their hearts content in the same timeframe.

That way, you don't have a neverending story that just ends up stale. Instead you have a set time frame you get to ENRICH because you can allow your character to, in addition to the class story, be a part of some bigger arc planetary stories or even galactic stories that give the universe depth.

The question has been fired at the devs at nearly every community cantina event, and they have given us similar answers each time. Citing budget and time constraints, but also pointing to a change in their philosophy for presenting story driven content to players (more group orientated).

Considering one of the main criticisms when the game launched was that it felt like a single player game, this is in part a move towards making the game feel more like an mmo. I hope that the devs can eventually reach a middle ground between a group focused planet arc implementation and a more contextual, class driven narrative.

Those who want more class story, want resolutions and more recognition for their choices and events from the 1-50 chapters. We don't need entire new class exclusive chapters to provide that, but we do need a more class specific approach to the planet arcs for future digital expansions.

Edited by Marb

Considering one of the main criticisms when the game launched was that it felt like a single player game, this is in part a move towards making the game feel more like an mmo.

What part of the design of Makeb achieves this then? The whole of the story arc can be (and is) solo'd by all classes. There's a few H2 and H4 missions, but these aren't essential to the story, just like on other planets. There's nothing in Makeb that makes the PVE experience any less single player and more focused on grouping. So for the devs to hide behind this as a reason for not providing any class-specific content is a total red herring.

Edited by Cernow

The question has been fired at the devs at nearly every community cantina event, and they have given us similar answers each time. Citing budget and time constraints, but also pointing to a change in their philosophy for presenting story driven content to players (more group orientated).

Considering one of the main criticisms when the game launched was that it felt like a single player game, this is in part a move towards making the game feel more like an mmo. I hope that the devs can eventually reach a middle ground between a group focused planet arc implementation and a more contextual, class driven narrative.

Those who want more class story, want resolutions and more recognition for their choices and events from the 1-50 chapters. We don't need entire new class exclusive chapters to provide that, but we do need a more class specific approach to the planet arcs for future digital expansions.

Your last paragraph is the most important one. Yes, your previous paragraphs are true, but they don't address your last paragraph which is the EXACT same as my second item.

The problem is that whenever you approach the devs at the community event, no matter how you phrase it, the looks on their faces and the way they respond indicate they really aren't clearly hearing the question, and instead have auto-programmed themselves to think that whenever someone brings up class story, that person is automatically asking to continue doing the class stories as-is.

There has been no recognition that they understand the difference between extending the class story as it was done 1-50, and just continuing the class story as a part of the interwoven planetary story (as I suggested in item 2) during the few times they have dialogued on story since the staff restructuring.

My hope was to provide some clarity and to shake the development team from any sort of misperceptions of what the community as a whole seems to be asking, as I am not the only one who proposed limited class stories mingled with the planetary stories, but they all seem to get lazily lumped under the same response umbrella.

I really don't see how making 2-3 quest per planet be class related would make a huge difference in cost. The dialogue is already slightly different per class in Makeb, starting the planet should be a class quest and a continuation of the storyline:

SI: Talos found links to an ancient artifact in Makeb which is the real reason we agree to help Dart Marr. (2 lines of dialogue as Talos stops the SI from flat out rejecting Marr's roders)

SW: The Emperor's Hand tell us to play along with the whole "dead Emperor" bit to see who will try to take his place and stop them when the time comes. (again, a couple of lines in between the actual ones)

Agent: A long thought dead member of the Star Cabal resurfaced as a resistance fighter in Makeb. (a quick communication with the former/current SIS handler)

BH: a rival BH is after the price on the Archon's head and we need to take him out before he does.

and so on. (Mako could explain this in a single line right before leaving the ship)

It would have required a different 1st quest, a quest once we stabilized the planet to gather info and a last confrontation with a guardian/antagonist right before taking on the Archon, doesn't seem like too much to ask...

Agent: A long thought dead member of the Star Cabal resurfaced as a resistance fighter in Makeb. (a quick communication with the former/current SIS handler)

Agent spoilers ahead:

In a way, the Agent already has a reason to be there in Makeb as is: the retired Intelligence Agent whose family you either brutally murder or send back to Makeb. At once, that is an Agent's duty under the now dissolved Imperial Intelligence and - had it been created specifically with Cipher Nine in mind rather than "generic story" - would have been a point of contact (like through coercion, Cipher Nine is good at that) for Makeb and the political climate there, as well as post-Intelligence life or the lack thereof. An SIS defector (aka Cipher Scum), would have had the option to not only relocate the Retired Agent to the Republic, but also convince him to aide SIS against the Empire, while Cipher Nine could have sent the Retired Agent back to Dromund Kaas or set him up on another planet, with mechanisations to ultimately re-create Intelligence in a more Sith-independent form.

Any members of the Star Cabal would likely be those of the sub-organisations that belonged to the various individuals that Cipher Nine murdered/defeated and, while their information might be useful, nothing compares to the Black Codex.

Agent spoilers ahead:

In a way, the Agent already has a reason to be there in Makeb as is: the retired Intelligence Agent whose family you either brutally murder or send back to Makeb. At once, that is an Agent's duty under the now dissolved Imperial Intelligence and - had it been created specifically with Cipher Nine in mind rather than "generic story" - would have been a point of contact (like through coercion, Cipher Nine is good at that) for Makeb and the political climate there, as well as post-Intelligence life or the lack thereof. An SIS defector (aka Cipher Scum), would have had the option to not only relocate the Retired Agent to the Republic, but also convince him to aide SIS against the Empire, while Cipher Nine could have sent the Retired Agent back to Dromund Kaas or set him up on another planet, with mechanisations to ultimately re-create Intelligence in a more Sith-independent form.

Any members of the Star Cabal would likely be those of the sub-organisations that belonged to the various individuals that Cipher Nine murdered/defeated and, while their information might be useful, nothing compares to the Black Codex.

Makes sense, specially given the state of Imperial Intelligence.

So, I listened to the podcast of Q&A on Tor wars, and the question comes up AGAIN in part 1.

There seems to be finally a minor budge - the question was answered a little differently in that they stuck to their group mentality, but said class elements - specifically, that han solo might tackle a problem differently than luke skywalker.

The one thing that remains is that some class stories are not finished. Would love that discussed and brought up.

The one thing that remains is that some class stories are not finished. Would love that discussed and brought up.

Trust me, if I could get someone to actually take me seriously for five seconds, I'd ask the Writing Team a lot of questions, as it is... well, I'm the crazy lady that everyone hates.

Trust me, if I could get someone to actually take me seriously for five seconds, I'd ask the Writing Team a lot of questions, as it is... well, I'm the crazy lady that everyone hates.

The thing of it is, I think the original team fully intended to continue class stories.

Open ended items include:

• Revan (actually confirmed by Hal Hood as still alive)
  • Malgus (originally you dropped him into a pit, but never actually saw him die - more recently they let you straight up kill him, probably because they tried to half-*** closing that plot point)
  • Imperial Agent (can be a blacklist op for the Empire, a free agent, or an SIS doubleagent based on choices. And Watcher X is still out there.)
  • Sith Warrior (You are the Emperor's Wrath. The Emperor was never meant to be dead. Jedi Knight Killed his voice, but not him. Since the new team came on board they're trying very hard to convince people this isn't the case, even calling Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior endings a contradiction - I prefer the Obiwan term of a certain point of view).
  • Sith Inquisitor (You're now a dark council member - doing grunt work should be beneath you)

And thats just a start.

Would be nice to continue these stories, or if the writing team is THAT desperate to end those storylines, at least do it in a believable fashion that doesn't feel rushed or half-assed.

By the way, if it were me?

I'd continue Revan and Malgus's story by developing a bigger story for both of them - a massive intertwining story - and make BOTH of them available as companions. :D

As nice as I'm sure it would be to see Revan again (I never played the KoToR games), I'm finding that the constant "Oh, there are the Dread Masters... and then the Hutts... and then this evil business mwaherr" in relation to end-game and expansion, is driving the focus away form the supposedly giant galactic war that's apparently raging across the galaxy. Yes, each side suffers loses and weakens while another strengthens and it would be ludicrous to assume that a war on this scale is a series of constant battles, but the lack of mention makes it seem like an after-thought. Or to excuse the PvP crowd.

People have asked for class-based dailies before and something like that could work. Darth Nox doing field work across various parts of the galaxy (known and new) to find old Jedi and Sith and earlier-era secrets and lost knowledge. The Wrath spreading terror in the Emperor's name and emboldening the troops with her presence (also finding lost pieces of His power to give to the Hand to rebuild him). The Bounty Hunter could recon military targets, officials, bodyguard for Imperial diplomats and generally be an all-round Mercenary.

And the Agent... espionage on Republic bases, spying on Sith Lords. Protecting the interests of the Empire both at home and abroad. Destroy a Republic lab, take their technology, slice into their internal-holonet, upload a virus, deliver goods to a small, but slowing growing, elite band of Imperial loyalists working underneath Kaas City itself, to rebuild Imperial Intelligence independent of Sith meddling. Find new vaccines to protect the troops, new hyperspace routes for better delivery of resources, new armour and weapon designs.

Sorry, I just love Cipher Nine.

Cipher Nine <3

I would love new class stories to be released... even if it's just one small story. It would give me reason to take multiple same faction characters through Makeb and whatever other planet quests are in the works. I dont need to have new quests if that's the issue... just make the conversation be different and unique.

And please let my companions talk to me again... either that or have them at least say they hate me and will be taking several months off lol.

Edited by TW-Cool

As nice as I'm sure it would be to see Revan again (I never played the KoToR games), I'm finding that the constant "Oh, there are the Dread Masters... and then the Hutts... and then this evil business mwaherr" in relation to end-game and expansion, is driving the focus away form the supposedly giant galactic war that's apparently raging across the galaxy. Yes, each side suffers loses and weakens while another strengthens and it would be ludicrous to assume that a war on this scale is a series of constant battles, but the lack of mention makes it seem like an after-thought. Or to excuse the PvP crowd.

People have asked for class-based dailies before and something like that could work. Darth Nox doing field work across various parts of the galaxy (known and new) to find old Jedi and Sith and earlier-era secrets and lost knowledge. The Wrath spreading terror in the Emperor's name and emboldening the troops with her presence (also finding lost pieces of His power to give to the Hand to rebuild him). The Bounty Hunter could recon military targets, officials, bodyguard for Imperial diplomats and generally be an all-round Mercenary.

And the Agent... espionage on Republic bases, spying on Sith Lords. Protecting the interests of the Empire both at home and abroad. Destroy a Republic lab, take their technology, slice into their internal-holonet, upload a virus, deliver goods to a small, but slowing growing, elite band of Imperial loyalists working underneath Kaas City itself, to rebuild Imperial Intelligence independent of Sith meddling. Find new vaccines to protect the troops, new hyperspace routes for better delivery of resources, new armour and weapon designs.

Sorry, I just love Cipher Nine.

Cipher Nine <3

I think having Malgus and Revan as companions could actually bring the focus back around to the greater war at large and the Emperor - it could tie everything back in to a greater power play by the Emperor to become a diety again, this time getting all the classes and not just Jedi Knight involved in stopping him.