Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

The problem? That is NOT true.

Your problem solved?

The problem is that you are all asking for something that is such a minor detail, that quite a few people do not even know it exists, or care what happens in their story. I keep saying that you should sit down and let the Devs deal with it, they heard you guys and will do what they can to get you all what you all deeply desire.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that you are all asking for something that is such a minor detail, that quite a few people do not even know it exists, or care what happens in their story. I keep saying that you should sit down and let the Devs deal with it, they heard you guys and will do what they can to get you all what you all deeply desire.

You think it's a minor detail, but it may be a big deal for someone else. To me, a new operation is a minor detail, but more SGR would be a huge improvement.

You think it's a minor detail, but it may be a big deal for someone else. To me, a new operation is a minor detail, but more SGR would be a huge improvement.

And Bioware sees it as simply something they put into an expansion to placate the masses. again, let it go, as the Ball is still in Bioware's court.

And Bioware sees it as simply something they put into an expansion to placate the masses. again, let it go, as the Ball is still in Bioware's court.

So is all the other things people are talking about here. I.e. more species, more wzs, fixing bolster, TTK, new this and new that. Are you suggesting that people that would like to see more SGR should be quiet, but the people who want those other changes should not? Or do you think everyone who has an opinion on how they'd like the game to improve should be quiet and let bw to decide?

So is all the other things people are talking about here. I.e. more species, more wzs, fixing bolster, TTK, new this and new that. Are you suggesting that people that would like to see more SGR should be quiet, but the people who want those other changes should not? Or do you think everyone who has an opinion on how they'd like the game to improve should be quiet and let bw to decide?

I am saying that people should not make a big fuss over stuff like this. IT is Bioware's turn to deal with whatever they want.

Edited by stormdrakelord

All current companions are hero-sexual and discriminate only based on gender. No companion cares about your character's personality, their actions in the storyline, how they look or what species they are. Your attempt at an argument is rendered invalid by the current game mechanics.

Yup. It seems the only really discriminatory people are the players themselves!

Yup. It seems the only really discriminatory people are the players themselves!

I am not saying it is right, but saying "WE WANT THIS!" or "WE WANT THAT!" makes it sound like the people on this thread only want SGRs in their game and nothing else. There is more to an MMORPG than Same Gender Romance stories.

I am not saying it is right, but saying "WE WANT THIS!" or "WE WANT THAT!" makes it sound like the people on this thread only want SGRs in their game and nothing else. There is more to an MMORPG than Same Gender Romance stories.

Oh, wasn't even talking about that. I've always thought it was good for people to speak up and say "I want this!" it gives the devs an idea of what to put in.

What is bad, isn't that anyone says "I want this" or "I don't want this", what's bad is when people start claiming unfairness. Since when does an MMO have to be fair? Never!

Also, they never did the backing up with what they want, by taking their money and going to another playground. :p Devs will think they can do what they want, for what they think is best, as long as people stick around.

Y'know, I was always a proponent of SGRs on the principle of fairness and opportunity for everyone, but after experiencing the mini-arc on Makeb and the few flirts outside it, it's now much higher on my list of priorities.

More than ever I finally feel connected to my character, like it's not such an automaton, even as cheesy as it might have been. The fact that I don't have a marriage option now genuinely feels like a void that needs to be filled in my character's history, now that I see what everyone else has gotten.

If I want Romance, I read fanfictions of games I play or shows I watch. If I want a good story with the character I made, I play this game.

I would rather it be a MINOR aspect, something there but not all that I want in a story. I would be okay if Romance was not in the game at all.

People make too much of a fuss over something that is supposed to be inconsequential to the real story.

That’s one point of view.

Another point of view is that there should be more romance content. In other words, stories that do not revolve around galactic politics and strife, but instead revolve around the love between two characters (your PC and a companion). Under that premise, there could still be all kinds of adventure and fighting enemies and so on. For myself, I would love that, especially if it could be a lesbian love affair.

This thread discusses some ideas along that line.

And while we're on what we'd like to see in the game... where are the cats ! ! ! !

Edited by markcymru

Y'know, I was always a proponent of SGRs on the principle of fairness and opportunity for everyone, but after experiencing the mini-arc on Makeb and the few flirts outside it, it's now much higher on my list of priorities.

More than ever I finally feel connected to my character, like it's not such an automaton, even as cheesy as it might have been. The fact that I don't have a marriage option now genuinely feels like a void that needs to be filled in my character's history, now that I see what everyone else has gotten.

What you saw on Makeb, was what everyone else got. Seriously, the companion flirts and marriage isn't much more than that.

That said, it would be nice to have some companions SGR if they should be. New ones added period (OGR and SGR) with the companions actually following up.

The Makeb followup to the flirting, was equal to the companions following up...nothing :p

That’s one point of view.

Another point of view is that there should be more romance content. In other words, stories that do not revolve around galactic politics and strife, but instead revolve around the love between two characters (your PC and a companion). Under that premise, there could still be all kinds of adventure and fighting enemies and so on. For myself, I would love that, especially if it could be a lesbian love affair.

This thread discusses some ideas along that line.

And while we're on what we'd like to see in the game... where are the cats ! ! ! !

Still, Romance should NOT be the focus of any story, especially if it is the only thing in the story and means that not everyone is going to play it.

What you saw on Makeb, was what everyone else got. Seriously, the companion flirts and marriage isn't much more than that.

That said, it would be nice to have some companions SGR if they should be. New ones added period (OGR and SGR) with the companions actually following up.

The Makeb followup to the flirting, was equal to the companions following up...nothing :p

'bout what I figured. At least OGRs included companions, and that's really what I want to see. It would be nice to have my significant other not live on the other side of the galaxy from me. Makes it rather difficult to plan dates. Especially with the whole General Relativity thing making watches run out of sync.

For both OGRs and SGRs, I'd like to see relationships fleshed out a bit. A few lines here and there. Sending and receiving gifts to/from them (significant ones, like maybe a mod you could actually use, though not terribly often so as to not be unbalanced). And maybe a kiss once in a while.

Edited by ZoeTuah

'bout what I figured. At least OGRs included companions, and that's really what I want to see. It would be nice to have my significant other not live on the other side of the galaxy from me. Makes it rather difficult to plan dates. Especially with the whole General Relativity thing making watches run out of sync.

For both OGRs and SGRs, I'd like to see relationships fleshed out a bit. A few lines here and there. Sending and receiving gifts to/from them (significant ones, like maybe a mod you could actually use, though not terribly often so as to not be unbalanced). And maybe a kiss once in a while.

Now I'm curious...do you actually go off to a spot, stand/sit there with your companion hovering over you, so RP these dates? Or all just in your imagination? Because the latter can still be done! :)

Or does date equal "lets kill things together"?

Makeb made me realize even more how little the relationships are. Seriously. Andronikus doesn't acknowledge my Inquisitor and Lemda (Makeb) and my Smuggler have no real way to contact each other! :(

I like the suggestion made in another thread, to have them have new lines when you're characters get to dating/marriage part.

Not holding out any hope for the first SGR story flirts to actually become companions tho. Not after one of them can be killed.

My problem is that we (and our character) probably won't see the Makeb romance characters again in game. It's hard to imagine the Makeb romances as anything more than a short-term thing.

With companions, even if they don't talk after their dialog is over, they are still at least there with your character.

Edited by stuffystuffs

My problem is that we (and our character) probably won't see the Makeb romance characters again in game. It's hard to imagine the Makeb romances as anything more than a short-term thing.

With companions, even if they don't talk after their dialog is over, they are still at least there with your character.

Wouldn't be any different than any other planet quest npc flirt, and some of those you can actually get married to.

That's not completely true. For one thing, if you have a romance with a character that is your first or second companion, you get a lot more time with them, and they even have quests you can do with them. When the romance is a companion acquired at the end, it tends to be less complex, but even then, you do at least get more private conversations with them, find out more about who they are, etc..

That's not completely true. For one thing, if you have a romance with a character that is your first or second companion, you get a lot more time with them, and they even have quests you can do with them. When the romance is a companion acquired at the end, it tends to be less complex, but even then, you do at least get more private conversations with them, find out more about who they are, etc..

True...but the actual flirt aspects...not much different. And like you said, it depends on how late you get them for how big it is and how much you get out of it.

So will my new female merc (already have a male powertech) have a chance to flirt with

Lady of Pain on Tatooine. Asajj Ventress/Nika Futterman ? ; yum.

Mako's comment : "Is that really what you're into?"

No, SGR/A was not applied retroactively. Currently all SGR [Flirt]s are level 50+ only.

And we have people telling us that's "fair".

No, SGR/A was not applied retroactively. Currently all SGR [Flirt]s are level 50+ only.

Yep. No doubt they'll continue to do so with no basis to their arguments. We also had people telling us it was 'fair' before there was any same-gender content at all. No doubt there's people vehemently against it but guess what? Minor same-gender content is in and the game hasn't collapsed under the weight of cancelled subscriptions.

Who'd have thunk?

Oh well. The Lady of Pain encounter is still too brief for what I consider to be a very memorable NPC.

She will just have to play it straight until level 50.

Kaliyo was desingned a bi, but there was no SGR in SWTOR when it launched. As I already mentioned, if the reason that Kaliyo cannot be romanced is that Kaliyo is not interested in female agents, I'm fine with it. However, if the reason simply is that they didn't want to make this kind of exception, it's a poor reason.

Also, people can always ask whatever they wish for.

Last time I checked, this was considered MMORPG. I especially bring up the RPG part. I'd love to be able to RPG characters that are not heterosexual, and do it by some other way than not [flirt]ing with anyone.

(My bolding.)

I have argued about Kaliyo a lot in my time on these forums, as I'm sure a lot of the older posters will be aware of. Here's my argument -

1) Kaliyo never says she's bisexual.

2) The writers have never said she is bisexual.

3) We don't know the intentions of the writers, we are not mind readers.

4) Until one of the three above points is true, we can't really make any concrete assumptions about her sexuality - not even on the basis of what is in the game already (and that one Companions 101 article that's careful with pronoun usage).

On a more personal note, I don't personally like the idea of Kaliyo being the only option for female Agents for a f/f relationship - this is because my main character is a female light side Agent, and doesn't find the idea of Kaliyo romantically appealing. She'd rather romance Rania Temple.

(My bolding.)

I have argued about Kaliyo a lot in my time on these forums, as I'm sure a lot of the older posters will be aware of. Here's my argument -

1) Kaliyo never says she's bisexual.

2) The writers have never said she is bisexual.

3) We don't know the intentions of the writers, we are not mind readers.

4) Until one of the three above points is true, we can't really make any concrete assumptions about her sexuality - not even on the basis of what is in the game already (and that one Companions 101 article that's careful with pronoun usage).

On a more personal note, I don't personally like the idea of Kaliyo being the only option for female Agents for a f/f relationship - this is because my main character is a female light side Agent, and doesn't find the idea of Kaliyo romantically appealing. She'd rather romance Rania Temple.

We meet a woman who claims to be Kaliyo's ex-girlfriend and Kaliyo doesn't deny it, which does easily lead to the assumption that she is more or less bisexual. BUT, since that 1 ex-girlfriend is the only thing leading to this assumption, it might be possible that Kaliyo is in some way bisexual, but prefers men and only takes women in special cases - i.e. this girl was rich and it seemed that Kaliyo anyway wanted her money more than her. Until this is confirmed, I will keep my assumption that Kaliyo is bi and likes both genders. Even if that is confirmed, I think it would make more sense if a female player could flirt with Kaliyo (especially after finding out about her ex) and then get turned down.