Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please remove forced cover

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Please remove forced cover

Gassygunslinger
12.07.2012 , 10:51 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Andge View Post
I appreciate the comments, but again, I'm not suggesting to remove the cover ability. I'm talking about not forcing the cover ability onto players half the time. It should be a defensive ability you can use whenever you want to. And not something which is used as a penaly for being allowed to use certain abilities. It's the wrong kind of penalty in a game.

The forced cover affects the feel of the class in a very defining way. Which is stupid. If the cover ability was not forced on players, the players who like the feel of a character who constantly has to use cover can do that. And the players who don't can avoid it and just use it when they need the defensive bonus.
Every class (or in this case, AC) needs an Achilles heel. In our cases, it's lack of mobility. Jedi Knight have to deal with short range, Scoundrels have to deal with lack of a gap-closer, and DPS troopers can't retreat like classes with either stealth or cover...

We're pretty dang effective as it is. Our handicap is a heck of an asset. If you take away the necessity of cover to use most of our abilities, then you're just asking to be whammied with a balance nerf. Consider me the Cover Advocate. It may be our Achilles heel, but it's made of solid steel, and you can bludgeon people to death with it.
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

bahdasz
12.09.2012 , 04:39 PM | #22
tl;dr

Cover is what makes smugglers and agents unique. It's that class quirk that makes it stand out. If you don't like cover you should roll an BH or a trooper... or a (ick) glowbat swinger

Nythain
12.09.2012 , 09:26 PM | #23
While I can at least understand where the OP is coming from, I really have to add some pennies to the jar here.

First, as others have said, cover is in fact what makes the smuggler "unique". So removing it's requirement from a majority of the gunslinger/sniper skills just seems silly.

Next, I honestly thought I was going to hate cover. It seemed like such a clumsy system when I first rolled my smuggler the other day. Honestly though, it grew on me. A lot. So much so that I find myself playing my smuggler (intended as a "I'm bored" alt) more than any other toon. So much so that when I got to the fleet, there was no hesitation clicking on the gunslinger advance class.

A few points making cover awesome...
Gap closer! While not the most efficient gap closer, once you get the hang of maneuvering you can roll great distances in the blink of an eye. You can even start charging your first shot while entering into cover.
Cover. Ok, I know that sounds weird but I like 100% damage mitigation. Since I play almost entirely PvE, ranged damage is a large portion of what I'm up against so natural cover is pretty slick for my survival.
Appearance. We have some of the best animation in the game with our duck and cover assault style. The wife constantly comments about how fun and cool it looks when she glances over and sees me having a cops and robbers type "shootout" with a group of mobs from cover.
Portable Cover. It might not be as awesome as natural cover, and might not look as cool but it definitely removes a lot of the clumsiness of the cover system in more hectic situations.

To counter the OP, this is where I point out that, even as a Gunslinger, I've found I have more than enough abilities that don't require cover to throw around if I'm feeling lazy or in a hurry. Sometimes I'll run around pretending I'm a scoundrel and start kicking people and whatnot. Other times I'll just run around throwing out bleeds, then quick shot and lobbing grenades at anything with a pulse. While I wouldn't suggest this for serious raid content, I haven't feared for my life yet in story content while just running around acting silly.

tl;dr: as others have said, cover is what makes our class so having it as a requirement more than makes sense, but even as a cover dependent gunslinger i find we have more than enough abilities that don't require cover.

KryloKillian
12.09.2012 , 11:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Nythain View Post
Sometimes I'll run around pretending I'm a scoundrel and start kicking people and whatnot.
Sometimes, when I get bored, I'll run up out of cover, and kill people with blaster whip just because the animation is hilarious.

Or put my companion on passive, throw a sab charge on them, then run up and use dirty kick.

Same reason.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good kick to the balls, kid.

Nythain
12.10.2012 , 02:16 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by KryloKillian View Post
Sometimes, when I get bored, I'll run up out of cover, and kill people with blaster whip just because the animation is hilarious.

Or put my companion on passive, throw a sab charge on them, then run up and use dirty kick.

Same reason.
Exactly, lots of fun to be had without using cover!

Gassygunslinger
12.10.2012 , 06:26 PM | #26
(OP, note that I understand that the elimination of cover is not your proposal, just the requirement, but the following is simply amusing anecdotal cover-related experience)

It's funny. After going all the way to level 50 with my Gunslinger, then rolling a new toon (Trooper), I found that I was still locked into the "cover" mindset. It was around the final volcano dungeon on Ord Mantell where I fought a group that was too difficult to tackle alone (well, at least with a massive amount of lag). Once I knew that there was too many of them shooting me to survive that encounter (or at least figure out a plan of action), my first instinct was to hit 'F', leap to cover, and give me a few seconds to come up with plan 'B'.... Then I went, "OH ****" and died. Honestly, I felt so vulnerable.

I've played pretty much every AC to at least 35, and I honestly don't find myself going, "WOW! This is FREEING!". As an Operative I either have to attack from stealth, or get really close to my enemies. As a commando, in order to dish out my gnarly attacks, I have to stand still to let channel, and as a healer I have to stand still to heal (the only difference with Gunslinger, I'd have to click middle-mouse button to roll into cover before unleashing my best abilities). For Jedi Knight, I have to stick close to my enemies like orange on Snookie, as does my Bounty Hunter and Assassin.

The point is, removing the cover requirement would be like removing the stealth requirement on a lot of Operative/Scoundrel abilities. Or letting Jedi Knight hack at you with a lightsaber from 30m. We've all got our Achilles heels, but like I said before, our Achilles heel is made of pure adamantine, and we can bludgeon people to death with it.

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

NoTomorrow
12.10.2012 , 06:38 PM | #27
Here is a tip how ti make your cover usage easier and simpler:
You can use F to be binded in preference to take cover, however
You can place the take cover (or crouch) ability from your ability window onto your slot bar. Since you've got a cover bar too you can comebine these pretty nice, for example:
1. Put crouch on #2.
2. Put Snipe on cover bar #2.

Now you press #2 twice and you get an insta snipe if you are SharpShooter with snapshot
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Gassygunslinger
12.10.2012 , 06:56 PM | #28
I put "Take Cover" to the middle mouse button, that way it's always at the easiest access. For my sneaky-sneaks, middle-mouse is stealth. For my healers, it's toggle focus target. I highly recommend it for Gunslingers.

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

feliix
12.18.2012 , 08:39 AM | #29
Sorry OP, I really, really like that sabotage charge, and other skills automatically
trigger a cover mechanism reposition. As a smuggler healer, that becomes an
awesome tactic in pvp, still great in pve. Throw some heals out in certain areas
of a map, as your green healy actions generate player hate, and they reconvene
on you, throw a sabotage charge! If you're positioned well, you get a super fast
reposition.

Throw your charge, invis/dodge, then reposition for more heals or attacks.

The forced cover animations and repositioning can be a huge advantage.
Just play around with it a bit.