Patch 1.6 and the frustrated PVPer

Velanoss

ive been through the wh/recruit grind on 2 characters (1 recently before the announcement of 1.6) and through the bag RNG crap back in the day. I personally think that this is the best thing that BW has done for PvP since launch and i think that an overwhelming majority feel the same way. WZs are more competitive and therefore more fun. I am also more willing to level up new characters now because i know that i can get wh relatively quickly.

It has been a long time since i thought i would say this but THANK YOU BW for making the PvP experience of this game more enjoyable.

I agree a lot with this post. I get tired of playing the same toon again over and over; which the old gap really would force you to do until geared. I like that you still have some time investment in WH; even if it is small; but then can compete.

The only thing I would suggest would be for the more "hard core" players who want to grind for an edge. It should remain slight as to maintain the baseline (WH) armor staying viable, but yet should show some reward a little better than EWH gear does now. Maybe the next tier above what we have for armor would be PvP mods (actual modifications rather than armor sets) that allow a character to min/max more optimally than the easier to obtain WH gear.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been through the wh/recruit grind on 2 characters (1 recently before the announcement of 1.6) and through the bag RNG crap back in the day. I personally think that this is the best thing that BW has done for PvP since launch and i think that an overwhelming majority feel the same way. WZs are more competitive and therefore more fun. I am also more willing to level up new characters now because i know that i can get wh relatively quickly.

It has been a long time since i thought i would say this but THANK YOU BW for making the PvP experience of this game more enjoyable.

Absolutely right they did!!! Great reply!!!

To those of you that "didn't know" it was coming, you're only 2-weeks behind, big deal. I knew it was and I bought 2 WH and 2 EWH pieces on Tuesday because I was patient.

As for this removing incentive...bull lol. EWH, even with it's modest stat boosts, IS a carrot to PvPers.

PvP for fun not for points! Having said that, I wish they had kept Battlemaster gear, maybe put price of War Hero between that and Elite. I also liked the Champion gear, they needed to change the terrible random loot system, but I didn't see the logic in removing the armor.

As for the token grind, Elite War Hero will probably be cheaper than Recruit a year from now, if it even still exists. Its an MMO and a poorly designed one at that. So if it is a grind to you, don't bother with it or you will be back here whining again in 6 months.

There is a middle ground. The problem with the old progression was that each tier gave a big jump in stats AND expertise. If you kept expertise relatively flat across the gear progression but gave moderate stat bonuses, you would still see an improvement with better gear, but not so much that it made most warzones laughably uncompetitive.

Is there a reason the Elite War Hero gear couldn't have given real stat increases?

The WH->EWH differences are on the same scale as the Campaign -> Dread Guard gear in PvE, so it makes sense from that perspective. But I see your point about the cost. It is really the same argument about the Hazmat implants for PvE...350 BH comms each for very small increases.

The WH->EWH differences are on the same scale as the Campaign -> Dread Guard gear in PvE, so it makes sense from that perspective. But I see your point about the cost. It is really the same argument about the Hazmat implants for PvE...350 BH comms each for very small increases.

It's not really the same scale as campaign to dread guard. The hazmat implants are a good example because the improvements they offer are smaller than most of the dread guard pieces, in the single digits on most stats. But all of the elite war hero gear is that way, and the implants and ears are arguably a downgrade. The elite war hero implants and earpiece are one point better than regular war hero, and in some cases you are trading out power for crit, which is arguably worse. 600-something comms to trade power for crit and get one more point of crit than you had power. It makes no sense.

Plus, and this is important, you pick up the dread guard gear just by playing the operations. Even on the implants, you can pick them up off raid bosses. The only way you can get the elite war hero gear is through comms. Forcing people to grind, grind, grind with no carrot at the end of the stick is really annoying.

It's not really the same scale as campaign to dread guard. The hazmat implants are a good example because the improvements they offer are smaller than most of the dread guard pieces, in the single digits on most stats. But all of the elite war hero gear is that way, and the implants and ears are arguably a downgrade. The elite war hero implants and earpiece are one point better than regular war hero, and in some cases you are trading out power for crit, which is arguably worse. 600-something comms to trade power for crit and get one more point of crit than you had power. It makes no sense.

Plus, and this is important, you pick up the dread guard gear just by playing the operations. Even on the implants, you can pick them up off raid bosses. The only way you can get the elite war hero gear is through comms. Forcing people to grind, grind, grind with no carrot at the end of the stick is really annoying.

I agree with no carrot at the end it makes a lot of people start thinking about doing other things. I do understand that BW want to get away from verticle gear progression but you can't take it away and then give nothing but a black and white piece of gear that you already have. A lot of people play to get there character stronger now not so much.

It's like a huge rug you spent months weaving being pulled out from under your feet the minute you put it on the floor to admire.

Let's be honest. If it took you "months" to get full BM (remember we are talking about non rated commendations here), it would have taken years for them to get WH. So this change made it easier for them to get WH.

I agree with no carrot at the end it makes a lot of people start thinking about doing other things. I do understand that BW want to get away from verticle gear progression but you can't take it away and then give nothing but a black and white piece of gear that you already have. A lot of people play to get there character stronger now not so much.

Maybe a re-skin would be worth it if the gear wasn't almost universally hideous. That's another problem. The last new tiered armor looks we got were months ago. How many more re-skins are we going to get before they release some good looks for the gear people actually have to earn? They've actually designed some decent looks lately, but they are all on the cartel market. Meanwhile the top PvE and PvP tiered gear is a third re-skin of looks they released months ago that most people hated.

FYI, there was a change that is not widely talked about. You can convert ranked comms to regular 1:1. Some may disagree but I think your game play experience would be better getting fully decked out in regular war hero gear, than using these ranked comms for the non-turn in elite WH stuff. Just my opinion.

This sounds like a fair compromise even though I'm out about 9000 standard coms from my purchase of some WH gear a few days prior to 1.6. I can't find the vendor though for the 1:1 switch back. That'd help a lot.

Please let me know.

This sounds like a fair compromise even though I'm out about 9000 standard coms from my purchase of some WH gear a few days prior to 1.6. I can't find the vendor though for the 1:1 switch back. That'd help a lot.

Please let me know.

Vendor is to the left of the kiosk that gives the PvP daily and weekly.

I don't think there's any need for a full refund but it would be a good change if once you were done with old PvP gear you could trade it in for maybe a quarter or so of the comms cost of buying it. My guardian and gunslinger are now in BM that's barely better than recruit with very few comms. I'm gonna have to do a lot of grinding on them to get them competitive again.

I think they should just remove the ability to queue for ranked and complete in regular warzones at the same time. If the gain from ranked is great enough, they wont play regular ones. That alone would improve parity to some degree.

I think they should just remove the ability to queue for ranked and complete in regular warzones at the same time. If the gain from ranked is great enough, they wont play regular ones. That alone would improve parity to some degree.

That would TOTALLY kill ranked.

I don't even know where to begin when complaining about PvP gearing in this game.

I agreed with you till 1.6. Now I'm having a great time. Under geared you have a fighting chance. The grind is only a few weeks instead of months. Skill skilful players rank high, not just people who sucked but let the gear carry them to the top.

It's all the benefits of playing 1-49 PvP level playing field but the players are slightly more likely to know how to play.

I remember playing my Knight at level 20 and being happy that I was still able to contribute to a team of lv 48s. I get the same thing now from my lv 50 sniper with 3 WH. He's not #1 but he actually gets a few kills before going down. I actually have to watch my energy now because I have a chance to burn through it before dying.

Edited by Kerensk

Thats why they need to incentivize ranked warzones so that more people will want to play it over the non ranked. As it is, a group waiting on ranged just mows down non ranked groups and that is no fun at all. I dont even want to get into playing against groups that are known pvp hackers. between those two some days its not even worth PVPing.

Vendor is to the left of the kiosk that gives the PvP daily and weekly.

Thanks. They were the same color as Warzone adrenals and I'd been skipping over them. This'll help quite a bit but I'm still stung. :/ Thanks though! Thanks a lot. This'll get me back going.