Gunship problem

I come from star wars galaxies, but that does not mean I do not like gsf. Allot of good solid components to it. People like myself stay away from it, because as soon as dog fighting starts to pick up, out comes the swarm of gunships. Bombers are not an issue, all you need is ion cannons for them, and they can not boost very far.

So my question is this, I am looking for an engine design for strike fighters, that can get you to and from the gunships. I do not even know if that is possible.

Any of the engine components can work really

turning thrusters are probably the weakest in that regard but evne they can be helpful by enabling you to corner and LOS easier

power thrusters means a larger pool which the ion rail has to use more shots to burn off

speed thrusters means you close the gap quicker

and regen thrusters means as long as you have even a short reprieve via LOS you can have full protection from the rails shots and a full fuel tank to attack with

Regen thrusters are my personal choice since they allow near constant boosting if you're smart about your use. LOS is the big key to gunship hunting though. making use of cover and coming at them from below or above or behind to keep them from turning their full firepower on you

yup. sneak up on them - so you can get close as possible. - Wait until they start lining up on their target - and rush in to unload - from the side or behind or above or below. - Blow your offensive and defensive CDs if you can - and don't linger for the kill. If you don't destroy them on the first pass, then come around for another go.

In fact, keeping them chasing you or running from you keeps them from shooting your team-mates.

Only thing to watch is when there are a number of GS - since LoS one might bring you into full view of another.

- Or you can jump in your own GS and snipe at them as well.

Keep well clear of GS in DM modes when they have damage power-up ( red) - since they can easily 1-shot someone who is even slightly damaged.

Don't be afraid to run back to your own side to heal up if you have support ships offering repairs and reloads.

GL

I like regen thruster for hit and run attacks.

For gunship killing I use Star Guard/Rycer with HLC and quads. A while ago, someone figured out the "pile driver" technique ( http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=944782). This method involves switching rapidly between HLC and quads while shooting. This gives high burst damage. It is much easier to do this against stationary targets, so if a gunship does not instantly start moving you can hit him pretty hard. On a gunship it is all too easy to tunnel on your target and miss an attacker coming from another direction until it is too late.

The T1 Strike is great at taking out gunships with Piledriving. Have a look here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=944782

And another one advertises the exploit.

As far as gunships go never liked the sniper nor do I feel it has a legitimate place in the game.

I have flown them and got high kill scores don't get me wrong.

I had a low detection setup and it never seems to work. So just put all your points into the gun skills first. Armor pen is your friend. After that if your in a group they have to defend you or you just have to hope your in a spot nobody will notice you.

And another one advertises the exploit.

Why are you calling it an exploit? The devs have had this information for over a year now and they haven't said anything about an exploit once.

All this technique does is the same thing you do with Railguns and Missiles on ships that have the ability to swap between both, it let's you fire a different weapon while the other one is on cooldown.

Why are you calling it an exploit? The devs have had this information for over a year now and they haven't said anything about an exploit once.

All this technique does is the same thing you do with Railguns and Missiles on ships that have the ability to swap between both, it let's you fire a different weapon while the other one is on cooldown.

Exactly. You'd have to call the use of EMPm followed immediately by Clusters on a Pike/Quell, or an ion rail shot followed immediately by a slug on a Quarrel/Mangler, both to avoid reload times, exploits as well.

Furthermore, piledriving has a natural counter in the game: system ability disables from EMPf and EMPm.

Exactly. You'd have to call the use of EMPm followed immediately by Clusters on a Pike/Quell, or an ion rail shot followed immediately by a slug on a Quarrel/Mangler, both to avoid reload times, exploits as well.

Furthermore, piledriving has a natural counter in the game: system ability disables from EMPf and EMPm.

Don't forget everyone's favorite Remote slicing! It also disables your System ability!

I vies swtor as this. The major mistakes were this, first not nailing home before launch we would be seeing old republic style armor, second not fixing the ranked warzone exploit, third bring arenas to the game, fourth getting rid of faction pvp, and fifth bringing snipers long range into a mode called gsf. Swtor does have allot more to offer in content now then it did before.

Anyways tried the regen engines, you probably pointed this out, but going to bring this up. They seem to be about short burst, as opposed to long range burst. Am I getting this right or just using them wrong?