The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

CelCawdro

That's pretty much the only thing that has been completely and clearly ruled out by the developers. They consider the companion stories to be complete, as is.

When did they say that they consider companion voice acting complete? Last thing I remember reading regarding companions was this from Damion Schubert in September:

Q: Are there any plans to advance on current Companion story lines? Some of us have developed intimate relations with our Companions, and even married them and now they won't talk to us!

A: I will put this as 'on our radar screen but not imminent'. Building companion content is very, very expensive for us (most people only play one of their companions heavily, so there is a one-in-forty chance that any companion content will be consumed). Also, the benefits of companions once you hit level 50 isn't great since you don't use them for operations or warzones. I'd really like to address the utility problem before we jump on creating more content for them. That being said, we know you guys love your companions and we know it’s something that's unique to SWTOR, so it’s definitely something that will get attention.

Edited by chuixupu

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This not suprising in the slightest, nor do I think it matters at all.

It is not a given that the story is the best thing about this game, I pretty much space bar through the story to get to the end game with my guild and the pvp.

Not that I dont enjoy the story, but I dont think it matters if a few hours on the end in the entire story chain is the same for all.

Besides, this is all complete speculation, so this thread has devolved into nothing but internet ranting.

Did anyone stop and think: Perhaps a "content patch" such as the Makeb patch isn't designed to propel the individual class stories? Perhaps they are waiting to release an expansion to the game before they continue with the individual class stories? That's what I would speculate on.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just because the next "Story Patch" doesn't include a class specific story line. One year is not that long for a game to be out. Especially in MMOs. Give it some time and see what really happens.

This is my thinking as well. I do not remember reading anything that said Makeb would advance the individual class stories. It was my understanding from the start that Makeb would be a planetary type story involving all classes and that the NPCs would know about "us" due to our exploits during the inital chapters. Maybe one of the doomsayers can provide official qoutes stating that Makeb was intended to advance the class stories just like chapters 1-3. As far as I have read this was never the case.

Individual stories will be added when a expansion si released. It has been stated by several people from BW that class stories have been written well beyond chapter 3. Class story is not dead. We will see more of it.

This is my thinking as well. I do not remember reading anything that said Makeb would advance the individual class stories. It was my understanding from the start that Makeb would be a planetary type story involving all classes and that the NPCs would know about "us" due to our exploits during the inital chapters. Maybe one of the doomsayers can provide official qoutes stating that Makeb was intended to advance the class stories just like chapters 1-3. As far as I have read this was never the case.

Individual stories will be added when a expansion si released. It has been stated by several people from BW that class stories have been written well beyond chapter 3. Class story is not dead. We will see more of it.

I agree man. But until such time as an expansion comes out, I will be unsubbing from when I finish the class stories until the new class story content is released.

This not suprising in the slightest, nor do I think it matters at all.

It is not a given that the story is the best thing about this game, I pretty much space bar through the story to get to the end game with my guild and the pvp.

Out of idle curiosity, if you're essentially just blazing to the get to the end game as fast as possible, are you one of the players that has issues with the fact there's little to no end game as compared to WoW or other 'Professional Raiding' game?

Not meant as any kind of judgement. If that's the kind of game you like, hey, it's your 15 a month. Just curious.

That's pretty much the only thing that has been completely and clearly ruled out by the developers. They consider the companion stories to be complete, as is.

Yet we got HK-51.

(The derelict spaceship part was my favorite swtor content in a long while, btw)

Edited by Karkais

Out of idle curiosity, if you're essentially just blazing to the get to the end game as fast as possible, are you one of the players that has issues with the fact there's little to no end game as compared to WoW or other 'Professional Raiding' game?

Not meant as any kind of judgement. If that's the kind of game you like, hey, it's your 15 a month. Just curious.

Last night someone in general chat said "End game sucks" and I responded that I rather enjoy it, and he responded back "most people who say that haven't cleared it yet". Now, I'm sympathetic to the idea that if you're done with everything, you're going to be bored with the game. However, I'm quite certain that the vast majority of SWTOR players have not yet cleared NiM EC, in fact probably a whole lot haven't even cleared HM EC. But that same problem always existed in WoW too, the top raiding guilds would clear content in a week or two, then all the threads I'd see on the forum was "OMG Blizzard is making the content way too easy, A guild cleared it already!". :rolleyes:

Yet we got HK-51.

(The derelict spaceship part was my favorite swtor content in a long while, btw)

Which is not additional story content for the existing companions. :rolleyes:

And the HK-51 questline was actually the most enjoyable post-release content I experience. Oddly enough, however, Hk-51 has been in the game's files long before the game even hit open beta. A lot of old testers, myself included, were pretty surprised that he didn't make launch. So I don't even count HK-51 as post-release content...

I wouldn't mind if the stories merged together at the end. The story quests were certainly entertaining and what got me hooked to the game in the first place, but I'm mostly into PVE endgame content so merged stories are far from a game killer for me. Edited by Radzkie

I wouldn't mind if the stories merged together at the end. The story quests were certainly entertaining and it is what got me hooked to the game in the first place, but I'm mostly into PVE endgame content so it's far from a killer for me.

Granted, as class stories ended,

... they all dealt with the re-ignition of hostilities between the factions, but in very different ways.

The role the classes play cannot be generalized. BioWare was very innovative in establishing the classes as something other than simple mercenaries wgo will do anything for a quick buck (as we see in virtually every other MMO). Your character was defined. Developed. Guided, but still developing a personality unique to your personal playthrough. The narrative standard set by the game at launch cannot be achieved with a blanket storyline.

I fully believe the class stories are abandoned, I think it's a huge loss to the industry and we're losing something truly great and unique by losing future class stories. I've now finished 6/8 class stories, and have played something on the order of 20 alts through different levels.

I'm done with the vanilla class story content, it took about a year. The only thing that would get me to come back after December (which I had already planned would be my last month as a subscriber to coincide with me finishing up my last class story) would be if repeating class story quests was made possible. Otherwise the only thing that will get me to come back to SW:TOR would be more class story content.

6 week patches, new WZs FPs and OPs, cash shop galore...all of this is irrelevant to me. The only thing I care about, the only part of the game I think is worth paying for is the class stories. Makeb is not good enough. Rise of the Hutt Cartel is not good enough. If I want typical MMO-crap I'll go to an MMO where they do it better. No one does story like BioWare and it will be a shame to see it disappear.

I'm not sure what I'm seeing here. All the OP referred to was a datamined icon tooltip that simply said that there was an unlock for the Chapter 4 content on your account.

So what?

There is nothing in this that means the stories are done, or that they have been cancelled, or that they will never continue.

To me, it seems like F2P is only going to get you to Level 50 and then that's it, which to me, isn't a bad stopping point for "free". It basically takes you up through the genesis of your character in the larger scope of the SWTOR world and takes you all the way through to the end of peacetime and the beginning of war.

Seems like a perfectly valid spot to make the freepers pay a little coin to access the continuing story.

I am not under any delusions that BioWare ever planned to allow free players to access every bit of story content ever made for the game in perpetuity for free. I think it's only going to 50, and beyond that, the F2Pers must pay.

Again... so what? Just chill out and wait for the story to continue. Continually guessing and saying "it's over" is fruitless and errant. You may come up correct when it's all said and done, but it will still just be luck on your part.

Again... so what? Just chill out and wait for the story to continue. Continually guessing and saying "it's over" is fruitless and errant. You may come up correct when it's all said and done, but it will still just be luck on your part.

Well you're going to be waiting a long time I think. BioWare is never, ever going to outright say "No more class stories." because they know that a large percentage of their remaining subscribers who have stuck around for story would leave.

The spin now is that Makeb is a continuation of "your story." Or that it is going to be "Avengers style". That's all code for "no more class stories."

We already knew this particular piece of information that Chapter 4 was going to be Makeb and the same for every class, so you're right in that this doesn't really change where we are now.

I fully believe the class stories are abandoned, I think it's a huge loss to the industry and we're losing something truly great and unique by losing future class stories. I've now finished 6/8 class stories, and have played something on the order of 20 alts through different levels.

I'm done with the vanilla class story content, it took about a year. The only thing that would get me to come back after December (which I had already planned would be my last month as a subscriber to coincide with me finishing up my last class story) would be if repeating class story quests was made possible. Otherwise the only thing that will get me to come back to SW:TOR would be more class story content.

6 week patches, new WZs FPs and OPs, cash shop galore...all of this is irrelevant to me. The only thing I care about, the only part of the game I think is worth paying for is the class stories. Makeb is not good enough. Rise of the Hutt Cartel is not good enough. If I want typical MMO-crap I'll go to an MMO where they do it better. No one does story like BioWare and it will be a shame to see it disappear.

You mean no one does story like the old Bioware, right? All the old guard from Baldur's Gate, NWN1, KOTOR, Jade Empire, DA:O etc, have left the company and/or industry. What you see here isn't the BioWare we all know and love, just an entity that uses the logo to try and pass off as BioWare for brand recognition based sales. Kinda like that John Travolta and Nicolas Cage movie, Face-Off.

It's pointless to speculate based on incomplete information. It serves no purpose other then to get people worked up on rumor and speculation. If that is your goal.. then please proceed onward.

Personally, I take a wait and see on MMO content. When/if an MMO takes content in a direction I do not like, at that time I will evaluate and make a personal decision if I want to continue playing. I really do not need you spoon feeding me doom and gloom speculations.

This person is fascinating. Has this person ever said anything, even remotely disparaging about EA?

I mean, to embed such a personality into your own forums EA-ware...bravo. It even comes with a condescending remark via signature regarding forum users. Haha, how completely adorable.

given the budget and staff cuts the SWTOR team got in recent months, and the switch to F2P, BW/EA can't afford to continue the class stories individually.

coming up with 8 different stories again requires a huge amount of time and money. it's not feasible anymore. they no longer have the initial budget they got nor the time (they had 5 years).

going forward, i think everyone will just be going on the same path/stories.

given the budget and staff cuts the SWTOR team got in recent months, and the switch to F2P, BW/EA can't afford to continue the class stories individually.

coming up with 8 different stories again requires a huge amount of time and money. it's not feasible anymore. they no longer have the initial budget they got nor the time (they had 5 years).

going forward, i think everyone will just be going on the same path/stories.

^ This 10X. Its time to come to grips with reality folks. The days of fully voiced individual class stories are over. Enjoy what you have, and prepare yourselves for something considerably less engrossing than what we currently have. I hate to admit it, since its the only draw this game has for me, but, this games state is what it is. The budget necessary to continue down the full VO individual class story route simply doesnt exist.

EA has, (for all intents and purposes), all but said so, given how theyve stated, on numerous occasions, that this game simply isnt a high enough priority for them. Not nearly as much, as say, Tiger Woods golf.

Right now, its a cash grab to line EA's pockets, and soothe their deflated egos regarding this disappointment, and keep what few diehards remain happy, somehow.

So long as its cost effective, naturally.

Right now, its a cash grab to line EA's pockets, and soothe their deflated egos regarding this disappointment, and keep what few diehards remain happy, somehow.

So long as its cost effective, naturally.

This is the 2nd largest subscription based MMO after WoW, I know... Crazy right? But its true, despite all the doomsday and crap about this game, its still in 2nd place with rift and gw2 following behind.

So yeah.. the few diehards, might be hard for you to grasp but me and my friends actually play this game because its fun, not the story, not the setting, but the gameplay feels fun.

This is the 2nd largest subscription based MMO after WoW, I know... Crazy right? But its true, despite all the doomsday and crap about this game, its still in 2nd place with rift and gw2 following behind.

So yeah.. the few diehards, might be hard for you to grasp but me and my friends actually play this game because its fun, not the story, not the setting, but the gameplay feels fun.

2nd largest sub based mmo after WoW huh... ----->

(Casting aside, for the moment, the fact that this game no longer, officially qualifies as a "sub based" mmo. Or atleast, its shouldn't, right EAware?)

<-------Interesting, thats a whole lot of players. So tell me, given how this game only houses 8 servers, where, pray tell, are these amazing subcriber numbers, hmm? Where are they all hiding, per se?

It might have been the "2nd largest sub based mmo" at some, brief point between Dec, 2011, and February, 2012, however, I will go out on a limb and state that, it is no longer there. Just a hunch.

Not that any of this frivolous, empty chest pounding nonsense has any bearing on the fact that this game no longer enjoys the near limitless budget that, *IT ONCE HAD*.

* (past tense).

Which, of course, is the whole point of this thread.

2nd largest sub based mmo after WoW huh... ----->

(Casting aside, for the moment, the fact that this game no longer, officially qualifies as a "sub based" mmo. Or atleast, its shouldn't, right EAware?)

<-------Interesting, thats a whole lot of players. So tell me, given how this game only houses 8 servers, where, pray tell, are these amazing subcriber numbers, hmm? Where are they all hiding, per se?

At least get the numbers right, there are 20 servers, all but the 3 APAC being megaservers. Trying to guess how many people subscribe based on servers is tough since not everyone who is subscribed, or even plays at all, is logged on all the time every day. But indeed, as EA even said themselves, since the game is now F2P, sub numbers aren't what they're looking at anymore.

Edited by chuixupu

I'm a slow player and a founder and I am personally done with this game once I have completed my class stories.

Effectively losing quests forever with the single (okay, two) click of a button is bad, plus of course all the other meaningless bugs I can live with. But if they decide to do away with the class stories at level 50, that's where I'll go and that is when I'll quit. I'm sorry to say BioWare, in the past I would go with this game because it was developed by you. Now I'm only here for Star Wars.

/Whine done, /equip flame shield.

Hi Goretzu, I'm gonna take back what I said about Jump to Lightspeed. Not happening. :p

I hoped that the old new space missions was a hint at a possible new expansion but I don't believe they will redo all of space by now. Hoped for it though! :)