Morriban and korriban The differences between TOR lore and Star Wars canon lore

why is the main sith homeworld in all other lore that isnt kotor related named Morriban , and not korriban. does it have somthing to do with bioware having to create there own content for the game? cause alot happend to this game since g lucas sold star wars. one little thing.. they added the music from the movies to the game. and it use to only play the music they made for this game only.

i know lucas was really pissed about what soe did to SWG, that game was all about the original movie's content and having stuff in it, i wonder if that is one of the reasons there wasnt more canon stuff , but this game, doesnt have much, except, coruscant , corellia , ord mantel and nar shada, theres no droids at all that look like any from the movies in this game. I think the 3k years ago thing is a cop out or they had to at first development when lucas still owned it. now i think they are slowly adding stuff,

for instance a couple items theyve added that look like there from the movies.

The humble hero armor set. if dyed black/black, looks like luke skywalkers garb from return of the jedi

the exterminator's robe is is the first jedi/sith cloak that doesnt look like a short sleeve dbag jedi robe

anyway discuss, theres alot more but cant think of it off the top of my head.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korriban

When Bioware was developing the game and when it launched Star Wars was still owned by George Lucas. It wasn't until later the George Lucas sold the franchise to Disney and since then there has been some changes.

When it was released the game was set about 300 years after Kotor and 3k years before any of the movies so no it is not a cop out when people say this game is set 3k years before any of the movies.

Korriban had originally been the birth place of the Sith as that is where the True Blood Sith were. It was changed to Moraband due to a Clone Wars movies just recently if I recall correctly.

SWTOR Development: Not sure on the Date but a friend of mine has been on the forums since 2008 and there may be some that can tell you better than me.

I didn't join the forums until June or July of 2011.

SWTOR: Release Date: : December 20. 2011

Disney Buys Star Wars: October 30, 2012

Edited by ScarletBlaze

AWESOME... THX FOR THE INFO.. YA... it seems we might be getting more of real star wars content soon. i think they made a good decision selling star wars to disney... i recently watched a new show called "lego star wars' yoda chronicles... its awesome... its stuff that lucas wouldnt have done. and it takes place before a new hope and empire, check it out its on disney xd, but ya... so that makes sense... korriban is the actual sith race home world. not the sith order home world. was just wondering. hope more people chime in on this

Actually, I think it's been said that George Lucas actually changed the name because to him Coruscant & Korriban sounded too similar. Personally I pronounce them as kora-sint & kori-bin so I don't see that problem, but meh. Whenever George changes something, he never goes back. So while it's a stupid name change and Morriban makes me think of Morrowind, the blame lies with George.

why is the main sith homeworld in all other lore that isnt kotor related named Morriban , and not korriban.

The planet is/was named Korriban in ALL kinds of lore.

Moraband was mentioned only in that Clone Wars episode and then it's official name changed cus of it.

Only recently it was changed to Moraband.I doubt real Star Wars fans will ever start calling it Moraband.

i recently watched a new show called "lego star wars' yoda chronicles... its awesome... its stuff that lucas wouldnt have done. and it takes place before a new hope and empire, check it out its on disney xd,

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Edited by Kaedusz

The planet is/was named Korriban in ALL kinds of lore.

Moraband was mentioned only in that Clone Wars episode and then it's official name changed cus of it.

Only recently it was changed to Moraband.I doubt real Star Wars fans will ever start calling it Moraband.

I am a real Star Wars fan and I have adapted to the change. It is now canon as Moraband. No biggie. Not only was the planet mentioned in that story arc, but Yoda visited it.

It is pretty epic set of episodes. You should check it out.

I am a real Star Wars fan and I have adapted to the change.

how?

Korriban is every day on my Star Chart, i have epic Korriban nostalgia memories from the Kotors.Korriban is in all the books.+Korriban is an awesome name.The name is too emblematic,to just change.

The planet was called Moraband in some animated crap and Lucas expects me to change the name ''Korriban'',which my brain immediately makes an association with red sand,desert,mysticism,tombs,sith and the dark side, something different out of the blue.This is bul...

+ Moraband sounds so very casual and Disney/Dreamworks(in a bad way) like.Moraband sounds like the homeworld/home of some platitude villian of some Disney product for kids.It's just bad.

Edited by Kaedusz

how?

Korriban is every day on my Star Chart, i have epic Korriban nostalgia memories from the Kotors.Korriban is in all the books.+Korriban is an awesome name.The name is too emblematic,to just change.

The planet was called Moraband in some animated crap and Lucas expects me to change the name ''Korriban'',which my brain immediately makes an association with red sand,desert,mysticism,tombs,sith and the dark side, something different out of the blue.This is bul...

+ Moraband sounds so very casual and Disney/Dreamworks(in a bad way) like.Moraband sounds like the homeworld/home of some platitude villian of some Disney product for kids.It's just bad.

I guess that you can choose to pout about it forever and even ignore it. Your choice. The fact remains is that it is done and it is canon. I am a very real (I would even consider myself to be a hardcore) Star Wars fan. My adapting to and even enjoying what took place does not change any of that.

They are still good episodes and I still recommend them.

Enjoy your day, sir.

Edited by TheBBP

I don't see it as a problem. It's not hard to believe that the name of a planet could change over the course of 3,600 years, especially when that planet is frequently lost (forgotten about and then rediscovered).

The Sith were wiped out, perhaps the name was changed because the planet was shunned for thousands of years, or renamed because they wanted to wipe out all traces of their species.

Edited by Pingonaut

• 2 months later...

Korriban and Morriban or Moriband (it sounds like Morriban in the Clone Wars episode).

I see them as two different planets.

Korriban is the birthplace of the SIth, whereas Morriban is the homeworld of the Sith. Sith were all over the place, even on Yavin IV where they enslaved the Massassi.

The two can exist together without any problems.

If they renamed the planet all i can say is screw you Disney stop messing with the stuff i love. To me every Star Wars books, game etc is canon because they deemed it canon at some point. They can't just say now that only the movies are canon. Yes you can say it but it doesn't change a bloody thing for the fans. The new movies should be part of the entire universe not just the movieverse. It would be smart if they make it a part of the universe because they will piss off a lot of people if they don't. It is a huge risk for such a big license that they should not take if they are smart from a marketing point of view.

Korriban and Morriban or Moriband (it sounds like Morriban in the Clone Wars episode).

Korriban is the birthplace of the SIth, whereas Morriban is the homeworld of the Sith. Sith were all over the place, even on Yavin IV where they enslaved the Massassi.

If they renamed the planet all i can say is screw you Disney stop messing with the stuff i love. To me every Star Wars books, game etc is canon because they deemed it canon at some point. They can't just say now that only the movies are canon. Yes you can say it but it doesn't change a bloody thing for the fans. The new movies should be part of the entire universe not just the movieverse. It would be smart if they make it a part of the universe because they will piss off a lot of people if they don't. It is a huge risk for such a big license that they should not take if they are smart from a marketing point of view.

Well technically the homeworld of the Sith is Dromund Kaas...Which is non-existant in the new canon.

why is the main sith homeworld in all other lore that isnt kotor related named Morriban , and not korriban. does it have somthing to do with bioware having to create there own content for the game? cause alot happend to this game since g lucas sold star wars. one little thing.. they added the music from the movies to the game. and it use to only play the music they made for this game only.

i know lucas was really pissed about what soe did to SWG, that game was all about the original movie's content and having stuff in it, i wonder if that is one of the reasons there wasnt more canon stuff , but this game, doesnt have much, except, coruscant , corellia , ord mantel and nar shada, theres no droids at all that look like any from the movies in this game. I think the 3k years ago thing is a cop out or they had to at first development when lucas still owned it. now i think they are slowly adding stuff,

for instance a couple items theyve added that look like there from the movies.

The humble hero armor set. if dyed black/black, looks like luke skywalkers garb from return of the jedi

the exterminator's robe is is the first jedi/sith cloak that doesnt look like a short sleeve dbag jedi robe

anyway discuss, theres alot more but cant think of it off the top of my head.

You have to look at name changes like this in reference to the world we live in now. There are places through out the world where the names have changed for one reason or another. Ill give you an example.

My hometown has been around since the 1600s and was originally settled by the Dutch. The town was originally called Bridgetown. But at some point this changed to Bridgeton. The story goes that a reporter misspelled Bridgetown in the local newspaper and somehow it caught on. Whether this is true or not has never been verified but it is a fact that originally my hometown was known as Bridgetown.

But most of the time names will be changed due to conquering forces stepping in and deciding to erase any link to a previous nation/government.

According to the films. The Old Republic as we know it in this game falls and the Sith take over. Only for the Sith to fall and the Galactic Republic to take its place. Holding strong for 1000 years prior to Palpatine and his plot. Its very likely the Korriban name was changed in an attempt to hide the knowledge of the Sith. As we see in both KOTOR/SWTOR and other non-canon sources. Korriban was looted numerous times by grave-robbers and want-to-be Sith looking for secrets to the Dark Side. Its possible the first leaders of the Galactic Republic wished to stop this sort of thing by the use of disinformation.

The reason for the name change was as someone posted earlier, Mr. Lucas felt that having Korriban and Coruscant sounded way to similar. So it got changed to Moriband, but it still makes sense from a logical story perspective as well.

I have a bachelors in Archaeology, and while my understanding of theory is at an undergraduate level, I can say that in a universe like star wars, where there is almost constant war, literal vast space between civilizations, and the potential to loose or forget hyperlanes to reach planets, it is certainly possible names can change or be different over the span of three thousand years. And sometimes it doesn't take thousands of years, the town I grew up in as a kid changed its name to something completely different, and the town was barely a hundred years old.

They just recently released a story arc from the Clone Wars that never made it to Netflix, its an unfinished story reel, which is worth the watch, there are four, 22 min episodes with voice and sound/music about Anakin, and Kenobi. it is worth the watch they reveal some very interesting back story to something in the original trilogy, and its a fun ride despite the animation and art not being finished. http://www.starwars.com/video/crystal-crisis-on-utapau-story-reel-introduction

Now at the end of the story arc, I won't spoil it but Yoda mentions "Legends" of when the Sith and Jedi fought for control of the galaxy, and mentions what I think are the massive weapons the Jedi Knight here in SWTOR deal with in their first chapter, and perhaps a few others from other class stories. But during his little speech his details are very vague, and not accurate. And Anakin refers to them as children stories or myths, so it is possible by the time the movie era starts the Star Wars populace has forgotten most of the details regarding the Old Republic era.

To me every Star Wars books, game etc is canon because they deemed it canon at some point. They can't just say now that only the movies are canon. Yes you can say it but it doesn't change a bloody thing for the fans.
Yeah sorry but the movies have always been the only cannon of Star Wars.

Lucas never deemed any of the EU as cannon, he of course approved the stuff being made but that did not make them cannon. It was only the fans who started thinking the EU was cannon and now they see the error of that thought process, whether they want to/like it or not.

Oh and the renaming of Korriban was done by Lucas not Disney, sense all the Clone Wars episodes were done before the sale happened

Morriban is an example of why Lucas should have sold-out and retired ten years ago. He was goofing little things like this up because he couldn't keep his eye on everything that was moving around his empire. It was his call if I recall the production interviews.

In the end there is a lot of EU junk I'm happy to see flushed, and a lot that I'd like to see retained. In the end I doubt I will accept the "official Disney" cannon on its own. Seems like that genie is out of the bottle now anyway.

The more I read about the original concept Lucas had for Star Wars, the more I think he created something he really wasn't fully in-touch with. It is analogous to Gene Roddenberry and the shift from Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan. Sure, we venerate Roddenberry for creating the ST universe, yet the man whose hands were all over the first movie was effectively fired from the second. It is the second movie whose look, feel and style has gone on to define that Universe in most regards.

The point being that had the man created what he set-out to do, we would have had a movie more like Krull than Star Wars. This guy though Jar Jar Binks was going to change motion pictures, that however was Peter Jackson, Andy Serkis and Gollum. Lucas spoke of Ep 4 as likely to be a kids movie when it was in production. Wrong. When he got back around to Ep 1 he again was talking about making something for the younger set. Wrong again.

Yes he created it, but we are NOT talking about a JRR Tolkien in terms depth of understanding of his own creation. So much of SW and Lucas' impact wasn't his writing, directing, and sure as heck not casting. In truth his dialogue was week, his directing pretty average, his casting rank poor with exceptions and he had zero ability to draw performances out of people. Where he crafted this universe was in the technical. The CGI, the spec effects, sound, and more. THAT he was brilliant at, visionary in a way that is hard to overstate.

None of what he was good at served us well when it came to things like Jar Jar, Jake Loyyd, insipid lines, and seemingly zero grasp of what it was the rest of us were really plugged into. So true is this that he too often wanted to walk away. He let whole patches of his Universe run wild leading to the EU purge we have now.

He's retired now and Star Wars is vastly better for it. Disney might cause us pain but I don't fear it anymore than Lucas' inability to guide or contain his creation.

It's "Moraband" and it's not a different planet. As others have said, the info on the SW website related to the Clone Wars episode confirms it is the same planet as Korriban and that it was written as Korriban and Lucas changed the name. Since Yoda travels to the Valley of the Dark Lords and to Darth Bane's tomb, I'm not sure why anyone would think they were different planets....but it's already been confirmed to be the same planet and the people stuck with Lucas changing the name have rationalized it as a name change due to being a planet abandoned a long time ago. It says right on the trivia gallery on the SW website: "At the start of story development, the Sith world was called Korriban, but George Lucas preferred to change its name to Moraband. A world so ancient could have been known by different names in different eras." Elsewhere, they refer to it as "an ancient Sith world abandoned after many wars, ages ago." So it's not hard to think that the name could have changed. We have cities and countries that have changed names...not hard to believe that an abandoned planet in a huge galaxy might have come to be known by a different name.

I am a real Star Wars fan and I have adapted to the change. It is now canon as Moraband. No biggie. Not only was the planet mentioned in that story arc, but Yoda visited it.

Doesn't mean it was never known as Korriban. Just means it was called "Moraband" at the time of the Clone Wars. Might be called something different in the future.

Had nothing to do with Disney. They had nothing to do with the Clone Wars. That was all pre-sale and all on Lucas.

The more I read about the original concept Lucas had for Star Wars, the more I think he created something he really wasn't fully in-touch with.

Star Wars.....now called "A New Hope", but it was just "Star Wars" back when it was released in 1977.....underwent so many drastic changes and script re-writes. They had special effects limitations. The studio wanted numerous things changed. Lucas changed his mind several times (shocking, right?). Even things in the later films like Vader being Luke's father and Leia being his sister, we're not the plan after the first movie. Here he was years later still tinkering with stuff.....for example, changing it so Han doesn't shoot first. Basically, everything after the first movie was set in motion somewhat by the final result for the first movie as far as the characters, the Jedi, etc.....but he's also always taken that attitude that's SW was his and he could change it all he wanted and whenever he wanted......almost defiantly thumbing his nose at his own fans.

star wars.....now called "a new hope", but it was just "star wars" back when it was released in 1977

It was always called "A New Hope" (also Episode 4) but this was a subtitle to something so new no one noticed it. Plus Star Wars was in big bold print and A New Hope was in really small print under it. The only place you actually notice it is on the opening epilog/intro.

but he's also always taken that attitude that's sw was his and he could change it all he wanted and whenever he wanted......almost defiantly thumbing his nose at his own fans.
Sadly from what I have seen many people will easily agree with this.

I have seen it as this is his creation, something that came from deep within him, his child of a sorts. Something that personal could never seem complete, exact to his image or more importantly dissuade his doubts and fears. With so many obstacles he had to deal with such as the studio, tech limitations and his own doubts he could never see it as finished. In the end selling to Disney was the only way to be freed from his Universe.

Also I believe he understood the fan relationship perfectly. He saw that it did not matter what he did or didn't do, he could never make the fans happy.

Edited by mudmobile

It was always called "A New Hope" (also Episode 4) but this was a subtitle to something so new no one noticed it. Plus Star Wars was in big bold print and A New Hope was in really small print under it. The only place you actually notice it is on the opening epilog/intro.

Original 1977 crawl had no subtitle (photo here), it was added in the first re-release (1981?).