Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Games within games

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Games within games

TrixxieTriss
05.16.2018 , 10:00 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by -Bob- View Post
Way to kill the conversation.
I think the convo was already dead... but I didn’t mean to bury it

TacoClaw
05.16.2018 , 11:52 PM | #62
Awesome, but totally unexpected turn in the conversation! But I'll chime in with this: Jordan Peterson has been talking a lot about psychopaths recently and interestingly also talking about the value of gaming for providing insights into social organization. So these comments are topical while also being completely off the original topic!!

Peterson's idea is that concepts of justice and rightness as espoused in the popular pc culture are hopeless biased and that a better way to uncover essential truths of human psychology and social organization is to study games, specifically to see which games people will continue to play. The degree to which a game attracts or stops attracting players tell us something important about the way humans (or individual humans) are fundamentally built on a psychological level. In other words, how and what we choose to play is more revealing than what we profess to believe or think. Kind of a cool idea, I think.

Anyway, back to the main topic: I'm not sure I would call some of the behavior number farming. I think of number farming as caring only about getting a certain solo metric and nothing else. A competition is about getting a bigger number than the opposition. The idea of a "game with a game" could include number farmers, but this doesn't interest me very much. What I was referring to was players actually competing against each other, but on the same team and with totally different objectives than the stated ones. Maybe for some this is a distinction without a difference, but to me the social competition is meaningful. Because with the former (solo number questers) I just feel weird being around it, but with the latter I feel down right used.

ALaggyGrunt
05.17.2018 , 12:56 AM | #63
Back on topic, we all play games within games to a degree.

There is only one best, but quite a lot of us try to beat a certain high score. The more measures you can consider high score (medals, killing blows, assists, objective points, consecutive), the more we can play this game. I'd say this is one of the less harmful ways we keep ourselves amused, and beneficial to people actually playing, because your personal high score is a lot easier to beat than the best [insert class here] in the game, or that thread. It's also how we as players keep ourselves from getting bored when the game doesn't really present any primary objectives. It hooks into the psychopath/sociopath thing because people who tend to play PvP for fun tend not to care about the other team's fun.

Also the hard-to-define "did I play better than last time?" question. Eventually that one gets answered "no" enough times and that usually means it's time to at least take a break.

Tangent: Psychopaths have a serious advantage as CEOs because corporations exist first and foremost to make money. Decisions which screw a lot of people over (ruin lives or even outright kill) to make still more money are much easier to make if you don't care about people in general, and the shareholders do love it when you make them more money (and tend not to look much past the next quarterly report).

And edit: they've got a serious advantage in PvP because they're not above doing... well, anything to win.

TrixxieTriss
05.17.2018 , 01:55 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by ALaggyGrunt View Post
and the shareholders do love it when you make them more money (and tend not to look much past the next quarterly report).
It makes you wonder what sort of people run EA

Rafiknoll
05.17.2018 , 05:16 AM | #65
I wasn't able to follow this thread for the last couple of days, but I think it sums up to:

People who rationally rather be in the main turret than guarding a node are acceptable. When it comes to the point when they cap but not guard, kill but not cap, or ignore ball carriers AND the ball spawn completely, this is getting out of hand and these people are doing things simply wrong.

The conversation at this point seems to discuss how many people of the exaggerated type exists and why do they exist. I think it is less relevant. When you encounter them, call them out or leave the match. If you have too many of the first type (those who rather contribute to victory through numbers), go be the node guard or you are to blame just as them, or (if you play an improper class/spec for that) ask someone to do it. If they truly are the normal type, one will comply.

Lhancelot
05.17.2018 , 11:41 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
It makes you wonder what sort of people run EA
I thought about Shark Tank on TV and wondered which sharks are actually psychopaths and which ones are not.
Star Forge Suffocates Fairfield Innervates Amice

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

RACATW
05.17.2018 , 03:12 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I quoted/copied some of that directly from another source. It was generalised so as to not make people fall asleep reading a medical journal.
I’m sure there are exceptions to every rule or situation, but in “general”, what I posted is correct for a large majority of them.
Well I suppose its also not pointing out the fact that violent crime (which is on the checklist) is a mitigating factor for the number of female psychopaths there are.

As females are not predisposed toward violent crime and tend to be able to empathize better. This reduces the chances of them being classified correctly...

but I get your point