Localization of the game in Russian | Локализация игры на русский язык.

htnpic

English version:

Dear friends, perhaps these are already full, but they did not give any result as I understand it is very sad.

Star Wars The Old Republic has a huge potential, which unfortunately is not available to many Slavic countries because of language barrier, I do not argue that you can play this game with a basic knowledge of English, but a lot

part of the plot remains unclear, which greatly upsets fans of this universe.

I'm in the game recently, but got great pleasure from learning and her passing and would like,

to this pleasure was given to all those who don't know English language.

Russian is a common language for all Slavic countries, which strongly distinguishes it from the rest and requires a more demanding attitude, repeatedly notice the Slavs in this game.

What I want to be implemented:

1. Localization of subtitles.

2. Access to change the language in the game for those who wish to play on the original.

3. No language binding to specific servers.

Русская версия:

Дорогие друзья, возможно подобных тем уже полно, однако они не давали никакого результата как я понимаю, что очень печально.

У Star Wars The Old Republic огромный потенциал, который к сожалению многим славянским странам недоступен из-за языкового барьера, я не спорю, что играть в данную игру можно и с базовыми знаниями английского, однако большая часть сюжета остается не ясной, что сильно огорчает фанатов данной вселенной.

Я в игре совсем недавно, однако получил огромное наслаждение от изучения и её прохождения и хотел бы,

чтобы данное наслаждение получили все, кто плохо знает английский язык.

Русский язык является общим языком для всех славянских стран, что сильно выделяет его среди остальных и требует более требовательного отношения к себе, неоднократно замечаю славян в данной игре.

Чтобы я хотел, чтобы было реализовано:

1. Локализация субтитров.

2. Доступ к изменению языка в игре для тех, кто желает играть на оригинале.

3. Отсутствие привязки языка к определенным серверам.

Edited by htnpic
Supplement and change of the main message

No. We dont need that.

As Russian from Russia i can assure you that there are very few people interested in SWTOR in Russia and even less people that could subscribe. So, localization to the language of impoverished 3rd world country with little to no potential playerbase would be a total waste of time and money.

Instead developers should focus on really important things (bugs, story, appearance options etc).

As someone from Russia, I would have to decline. I have no intention of playing the localized version, as:

1) I prefer to enjoy media in it's original language.

2) Should the localization happen, it'll probably be done on a separate server, similar to how we have The Leviathan and Tulak Hord. Thus, all my international friends will not be able to play with me, as they have neither the understanding of Russian language, nor any intention of learning it.

2) Should the localization happen, it'll probably be done on a separate server, similar to how we have The Leviathan and Tulak Hord. Thus, all my international friends will not be able to play with me, as they have neither the understanding of Russian language, nor any intention of learning it.

Probably not. I play on The Leviathan but with the game set to English, and it works just fine. SWTOR is not like "classic" (GameForge-run) (European) Allods Online, where the server list depended on the game client's language setting.

No. We dont need that.

As Russian from Russia i can assure you that there are very few people interested in SWTOR in Russia and even less people that could subscribe. So, localization to the language of impoverished 3rd world country with little to no potential playerbase would be a total waste of time and money.

Instead developers should focus on really important things (bugs, story, appearance options etc).

You are absolutely mistaken if you think that there are few of us, in one of my guilds online there are 300 people, all of them are Russians. 80% constantly complain that they do not understand the main plot, to be honest, I know English, but not enough to translate complex phrases from the game. We would have been much more if the game had Russian subtitles. Localization of the game is development, and development is always good.

As someone from Russia, I would have to decline. I have no intention of playing the localized version, as:

1) I prefer to enjoy media in it's original language.

Nobody forces you to switch to new servers, everything that is updated is only subtitles, on each server they will be the same, everything depends on the region that you set in the settings.

It is very stupid to refuse the native language in your favorite game, I am more than 100% sure that you do not fully understand the whole plot.

Nobody forces you to switch to new servers, everything that is updated is only subtitles, on each server they will be the same, everything depends on the region that you set in the settings.

It is very stupid to refuse the native language in your favorite game, I am more than 100% sure that you do not fully understand the whole plot.

Who are you to call them stupid? You may not agree with them but it doesn't make them stupid. Also, given their typing in English is better than most native English speakers, I am more than 100% sure they do fully understand the whole plot.

Who are you to call them stupid? You may not agree with them but it doesn't make them stupid. Also, given their typing in English is better than most native English speakers, I am more than 100% sure they do fully understand the whole plot.

I deeply congratulate them, not everyone knows English well.

I did not call them stupid, I just stated that it is not very cool to refuse from their native language.

Perhaps you misunderstood me because of a bad translation, but understand me, I didn’t want to offend anyone and hurt anyone, I just said that it’s not very logical to refuse my own language. Many people refuse to play simply because most of the content simply does not understand, I am among them. I would really like to get into this game, but I have to sit with a dictionary in order to understand the main part of the game, which is very sad.

I sincerely hope that those to whom the message above was addressed will not be offended at me, since this is simply an incorrect translation and I sincerely hope that my favorite game will be translated into my native language and I will be able to completely dive into it with my head

I did not call them stupid, I just stated that it is not very cool to refuse from their native language.

Hmm. Then these weren't your words?

I just said that it’s not very logical to refuse my own language. Many people refuse to play simply because most of the content simply does not understand, I am among them. I would really like to get into this game, but I have to sit with a dictionary in order to understand the main part of the game, which is very sad.

I mean it sucks you can't fully understand the lore calling other people stupid is not going to make Bioware listen to you and localize the game in Russian. I too wish they would translate this game into Brazilian Portuguese so I could have an easier time introducing my friends to this game as not everyone speaks english, but in all years of the game they have never released an additional language, which sucks but I can understand it because it would a tremendous undertaking to fully translate this game... and then there is risk of additional complaints because X language won't have voice-actors while English, German and French do. I'm not saying we shouldn't ask for localized translations but calling people idiots for "refusing their own language" is not going to increase our already small chances of having a localized translation being made.

My own advice is that Bioware should allow some manner of add-ons, within limits of course, like ESO. Some ESO players have been working for months to fully translate ESO into Brazilian Portuguese and all of that is possible because of an add-on. If Bioware can implement something similar which just let players do it themselves the community can get organized and translate it.

Edited by FlameYOL

Show me the place where I called someone stupid, for I am walking blind.

Nice try on dodging the issue but pretty sure Steve still has the quote from the exact comment. Edit: Just tested the arrow myself and if you click the little arrow it'll bump you directly to your post.

Edited by FlameYOL

Nice try on dodging the issue but pretty sure Steve still has the quote from the exact comment. Edit: Just tested the arrow myself and if you click the little arrow it'll bump you directly to your post.

Do you translate so badly? Read again, have I personally offended you? I just said that it was stupid to deny my language, no more, I do not see here personal insults.

Do you translate so badly? Read again, have I personally offended you? I just said that it was stupid to deny my language, no more, I do not see here personal insults.

Yes, my translation skills are clearly poor. And no, you haven't offended me but your words here do seem insulting or at the very least condescending to your fellow countryman/woman.

This makes us think you're question their ability to understand the story, as well as thinking its stupid to refuse your own language whatever that means (As in do you think its stupid for Russian to reject a proposal for a localized translation or do you think its stupid for Russians to prefer playing games on English? Which is it?), just on the basis its not on their native language... if that wasn't your intent then maybe re-word it a little bit because from the looks of it it sounds like you're low-key calling them dummies.

Yes, my translation skills are clearly poor. And no, you haven't offended me but your words here do seem insulting or at the very least condescending to your fellow countryman/woman.

This makes us think you're question their ability to understand the story, as well as thinking its stupid to refuse your own language whatever that means (As in do you think its stupid for Russian to reject a proposal for a localized translation or do you think its stupid for Russians to prefer playing games on English? Which is it?), just on the basis its not on their native language... if that wasn't your intent then maybe re-word it a little bit because from the looks of it it sounds like you're low-key calling them dummies.

I fully agree with you, maybe I incorrectly expressed my idea, but there were no personal insults, and you can think and invent anything.

Probably not. I play on The Leviathan but with the game set to English, and it works just fine. SWTOR is not like "classic" (GameForge-run) (European) Allods Online, where the server list depended on the game client's language setting.

Hmm. I wasn't aware of that, since I don't play on both non-English servers. I thought it's something automatic: you switch to another server, and the game loads the interface in an appropriate language. My mistake.

Still, I stand by what I said. A localization is a major undertaking, and it should be considered only when there's a sufficient demand for it. Some people, like me, do not require it to play and enjoy the game. If they do, they should speak up in this thread, so that the community management team will see that there's a clear demand for it, and maybe suggest the idea to the development team.

You are absolutely mistaken if you think that there are few of us, in one of my guilds online there are 300 people, all of them are Russians.

It is one thing to say that, and another to show those numbers here, on official forum. Maybe you should suggest for your guild to come and speak up for themselves? This way, it'll be clear that many people do want to see the localization, not just you and maybe few others.

It's not that I'm hell-bent against localization happening, ever. I simply explained how I feel on the matter. But, in such cases, numbers are important. If people come to this thread and explain that they do want it to happen, it could possibly happen.

Or, at least, facilitate a reaction from the community management team with an explanation on how the developers feel about expanding the number of language options.

I do, in fact, understand the whole plot. Or what I've seen of it so far, since I still haven't completed the game up to Ossus.

I'm well aware that my understanding of the English language is far from perfect, since I was self-taught, but it is enough to understand what the game wishes to tell me.

As for my refusal to play the possible translation, it is a personal choice. I played many games in both languages available to me (Russian and English) and saw that, despite the best efforts of the translation team, some things are inevitably lost in translation. I do not feel like I should choose an inferior version, when I can simply play the original, and see everything in the exact way the developers intended.

Still, like I said, it is simply a personal choice that explains why any effort to make a translation will be wasted on people like me, who do not need it in the first place.

There is also the matter of voice acting. From what I heard (and a quick google search supports this), a dub of it is present for both German and French versions of the game. This means the cost of the full localization to Russian will inevitably skyrocket, as they'll have to hire enough people to voice everything in this game. And that's a lot.

Hopefully, I explained my reasoning better this time.

I would really like to get into this game, but I have to sit with a dictionary in order to understand the main part of the game, which is very sad.

This is precisely how I learned the language? Back in 2000, games were either undubbed or had such a godawful machine translation that if you wanted to enjoy anything at all, you had to sit with a dictionary. Physical dictionary, not those quick online ones we have now.

Playstation games were most notorious with this, as well as being occasionally unplayable in Russian version, so if you wanted to continue past certain parts of the story, you had no choice but to switch to English.

Now, I'm well aware that not everyone has the desire or time to sit and learn the language from scratch, and I'm definitely not saying that you should. I had plenty of free time as a child, but as a working adult, the idea of learning another language genuinely terrifies me, as I, most likely, will not be able to allocate the same amount of time for it now.

What I'm saying is, if you want to see the translation happen, find like-minded individuals and ask them to make a big deal out of it. Preferably here, as this is the official forum for the game.

I sincerely hope that those to whom the message above was addressed will not be offended at me

I'm not offended. As a bilingual person, I understand very well how easy it is to say the wrong thing when you're not able to freely converse in another language.

Hmm. I wasn't aware of that, since I don't play on both non-English servers. I thought it's something automatic: you switch to another server, and the game loads the interface in an appropriate language. My mistake.

Still, I stand by what I said. A localization is a major undertaking, and it should be considered only when there's a sufficient demand for it. Some people, like me, do not require it to play and enjoy the game. If they do, they should speak up in this thread, so that the community management team will see that there's a clear demand for it, and maybe suggest the idea to the development team.

It is one thing to say that, and another to show those numbers here, on official forum. Maybe you should suggest for your guild to come and speak up for themselves? This way, it'll be clear that many people do want to see the localization, not just you and maybe few others.

It's not that I'm hell-bent against localization happening, ever. I simply explained how I feel on the matter. But, in such cases, numbers are important. If people come to this thread and explain that they do want it to happen, it could possibly happen.

Or, at least, facilitate a reaction from the community management team with an explanation on how the developers feel about expanding the number of language options.

I do, in fact, understand the whole plot. Or what I've seen of it so far, since I still haven't completed the game up to Ossus.

I'm well aware that my understanding of the English language is far from perfect, since I was self-taught, but it is enough to understand what the game wishes to tell me.

As for my refusal to play the possible translation, it is a personal choice. I played many games in both languages available to me (Russian and English) and saw that, despite the best efforts of the translation team, some things are inevitably lost in translation. I do not feel like I should choose an inferior version, when I can simply play the original, and see everything in the exact way the developers intended.

Still, like I said, it is simply a personal choice that explains why any effort to make a translation will be wasted on people like me, who do not need it in the first place.

There is also the matter of voice acting. From what I heard (and a quick google search supports this), a dub of it is present for both German and French versions of the game. This means the cost of the full localization to Russian will inevitably skyrocket, as they'll have to hire enough people to voice everything in this game. And that's a lot.

Hopefully, I explained my reasoning better this time.

This is precisely how I learned the language? Back in 2000, games were either undubbed or had such a godawful machine translation that if you wanted to enjoy anything at all, you had to sit with a dictionary. Physical dictionary, not those quick online ones we have now.

Playstation games were most notorious with this, as well as being occasionally unplayable in Russian version, so if you wanted to continue past certain parts of the story, you had no choice but to switch to English.

Now, I'm well aware that not everyone has the desire or time to sit and learn the language from scratch, and I'm definitely not saying that you should. I had plenty of free time as a child, but as a working adult, the idea of learning another language genuinely terrifies me, as I, most likely, will not be able to allocate the same amount of time for it now.

What I'm saying is, if you want to see the translation happen, find like-minded individuals and ask them to make a big deal out of it. Preferably here, as this is the official forum for the game.

I'm not offended. As a bilingual person, I understand very well how easy it is to say the wrong thing when you're not able to freely converse in another language.

I am extremely grateful to you for the detailed answer and for taking the time to my topic. I understand Your policy and have nothing against him, I do not understand, for that I apologize.

I would very much like to get the localization of at least the story of the company in their native language, which I probably understand no one will do. In any case, I'm going to encourage my friends to subscribe in the subject to this message and the wish came up to developers and publishers. This is very important for all of us and I very much hope that if it ever happens no one will be deprived and will get what he wants and will play in the language he wants. In any case, thank you for your time!

Edited by htnpic

I don't understand why this topic caused any aggression. I find it normal to make the game convenient for players from all over the world, especially in a popular universe like star wars. I want Russian players to get as much pleasure in completing quests as the rest. It would only expand their audience. Not everyone knows English well. Even if you are a fan of the original, no one will take away your right to choose the language. I believe that the author of this topic just wanted to say your suggestion to improve , not to offend anyone.

Let's be kind, because we all love this game.

I don't understand why this topic caused any aggression. I find it normal to make the game convenient for players from all over the world, especially in a popular universe like star wars. I want Russian players to get as much pleasure in completing quests as the rest. It would only expand their audience. Not everyone knows English well. Even if you are a fan of the original, no one will take away your right to choose the language. I believe that the author of this topic just wanted to say your suggestion to improve , not to offend anyone.

Thank you very much for your support, I really hope that this game will be translated into Russian and that no one was offended, as well as that this message will reach the developers.

Polish, Ukrainian, Bulgarian have "similar" langs to rus (not true, but common opinion) and have same problems with English. So I would like to see one of that langs as well implemented.

Got where we going ?

And hate comes from the fact that only Russians always and everywhere ask preferences and always break own promises and obligations. If you didn't meet it yet - u're damn lucky.

Edited by alexzk

Polish, Ukrainian, Bulgarian have "similar" langs to rus (not true, but common opinion) and have same problems with English. So I would like to see one of that langs as well implemented.

Got where we going ?

And hate comes from the fact that only Russians always and everywhere ask preferences and always break own promises and obligations. If you didn't meet it yet - u're damn lucky.

I will absolutely accept that the OP meant no disrespect nor offense and their wording earlier was poorly chosen due to language barriers.

However, your statement seems pretty clear and is rather unwarranted. You may have had bad experiences with a Russian person in the past but that doesn't mean all Russian people are like that. Please try not to overgeneralize. Also, I see no hate in this thread ... just a misunderstanding due to a language barrier.

Side note: Ukrainian, Polish, Bulgarian, and Russian languages all have a common root. They are all Slavic languages, though as I understand it are of different branches. Similar to how French, Spanish, and Italian are all Latin based languages.

As to your first point, I see what you're getting at. If the devs were to localize the game for one language then why not for all languages. Of course, this would be impossible due to the sheer number of languages in existence. However such localization should be heavily dependent on how many people who speak that language actually play the game. If there is a large enough Russian speaking playerbase then I see no reason why the devs shouldn't localize the game. Although I would draw the line at voice acting and make it text only simply for the reason that voice acting is expensive and more time consuming.

There are, indeed, full voice-acted audio sets for French and German (selected when you select the language of the game's text). The only *audio* lines that don't change are the ones in the various alien languages (Huttese, Dashade, etc.). And yes, this was a major cost for the game at release - there are something like 200 000 spoken lines in the base game, and when you throw in all the expansions, it has probably passed 300 000 by now.

But it also raises a different question, one that applies to all dubbed / revoiced material. Regardless of any question of the quality of the translation (and it can be highly variable), the voice actor's voice can change the "feel" of a scene. Examples from SWTOR:

* The female Inquisitor in English has a deliciously evil, sexy voice, while in French, she radiates a sort of flat menace in almost every line except when she's flirting with Andronikos.

* The lines in the Trooper story on Taris where you first meet Elara Dorne are inexplicable in the French audio. After she goes away, Aric comments on her Imperial accent, which is clearly audible in English (Imps = British, Pubs = American), but not in French (Imps = French, Pubs = French).

* The Trooper / Aric Jorgan romance opens in the conversation "Surprise Inspection", where Aric comments on recent problems with the squad's gear, and you can [Flirt]. In English, it's a relatively ordinary-sounding comment about stuff in her personal locker that might be against regulations, while in French, the words ask if he is going to inspect her equipment, and her voice says that she means the fleshy equipment inside her armour, that is, she is inviting him to grope her.

However, your statement seems pretty clear and is rather unwarranted. You may have had bad experiences with a Russian person in the past but that doesn't mean all Russian people are like that. Please try not to overgeneralize. Also, I see no hate in this thread ... just a misunderstanding due to a language barrier.

Side note: Ukrainian, Polish, Bulgarian, and Russian languages all have a common root. They are all Slavic languages, though as I understand it are of different branches. Similar to how French, Spanish, and Italian are all Latin based languages.

Their most popular comedian was joking "west ppl so duuuuumb, so duuuumb".

Also most popular about USA since xUSSR was "I live 10 years on Brighton Beach and those idiots still do not know russian".

That's the whole point, they never want learn something not Russian.

And yes, about Slavic - russian is hardly Slavic. Polish can understand 90% of Ukrainian, same for Belorus and others, but russian fits about 30% only. So native Russians when hear Polish/Ukrainian laugh that is some kind of "broken russian" which is not natural.

It was old Kyiv Rus (1000 years ago, prior Moscow even founded) they had some proto-Slavic language. Next they concurred territories of current Russia. Tribes who was there took new language how they understood it. I.e. bad. And till Lomonosow & Pushkin all russian nobles were using french/dutch just because it was no single lang. It was many of different bad understandings of proto-Slavic. Later that 2 guys somehow generalized language out of that many to rise sales as we could say today.