Why does it take so long for SWTOR to fix bugs?

Klarick

Seriously? The ability delay bug, the lagfest bug, the multiple flashpoint and OP bugs, the list goes on and on and on. I play many MMO's currently and SWTOR is by far the worst in this regard. Is it a matter of incompetence? Did the wrong people get fired a few months back?

What's up Bioware?

It's probably because swtor is built on a 5 yr old beta version of the hero engine and not optimized nor will it ever be. That and I think they just don't care anymore at this point. The poor communication and customer service makes that apparent. I gave up expecting them to fix this stuff long ago.

In BW/EA's defence (yes it is possible) finding a bug is one thing. Fixing it is something else entirely. Truth be told from a programming standpoint it is entirely possible to fix one bug an inadvertently introduce others. That could to some extent have happened here. On a project this size, coding errors are unfortunately a fact of life.

Well my first question is what are the other mmo's you have been playing. How long have they been out and what not. If they haven't come out this year or the year before then its kind of unfair to compare them with swtor when it comes to bugs. Yes swtor is a year old but for a mmo that's still rather young, its still working through its own growing pains. The bugs will be fix in time, as long as we allow the dev's time to fix them.

I fear a lot more bugs would have been fixed sooner if swtor had not been force down that path of f2p. Figuring out how to make F2p work in the game more then likely took up a chunk of resources and time. This cause content to be pushed back and slowed the fixing up bugs.

Also as has been said in this thread already finding the bug maybe easy but fixing bugs in code is not always easy. You have to make sure your fix will not cause anther bug to pop up and trust me with as big and as complex as the code for this game is they have a lot of stuff to check. They have to, if they are doing it right, check as many possible combinations of variables that are passed to the code and how the new code interacts with the old. Not a quick and easy task.

Give them time, let them work, and don't over react.

From a software development stand-point this is dependant on the bug and how long it takes to fix it.

1) The user logs the bug

2) QA recieve this information, determine if it has been logged before

3) If new, they need to find it they can replicate this bug

4) If bug can be replicated, they produce the steps to reproduce it and it is provided to the relevant team.

5) The developers then need to find the code that is causing the bug. It is something in the Engine (which I am sure they have the source code for),

6) The time to fix is estimated and it is given a priority based on current work being done and the bug type (Critical, user can't continue, high, user has major problems but a workaround exists, medium, it is an annoyance and common but a workaround exists, low, this is very minor (like floating rocks, etc..) there is no workaround required.

7) Based on this and time, it is then given a patch allocation

8)It is worked on, and if it is fixed and not bumped it is will make it to the patch.

This is simplifying it.

They have had a massive amount to work on, people complaining about the bugs, the lag, the poor customer service, anything and everything is up for them to complain about. BUT if they were to fix the little issues, not gone free to play, not released new ops, not releasing HK-51, all of these things take time to introduce, and suffice to say, look over the patch notes, since the start there has been 2700 plus fixes implemented, that is a lot of work and this is only what is listed on the patch nodes.

Just understand the difficult of developing software, increase it for the difficulty of developing a game and then increase it again for developing an MMO. Items will be addressed, log them in the correct manner and look at the patch notes as new releases come. You will find it in there one day.

Fixing bugs isn't easy.

Fixing really game-breaking bugs like "large portion of playerbase experiences game crashes to desktop every two hours" is really friggin' hard. Especially if you want to do it without breaking something else.

And they don't have nearly as much staff as they did. I'm still pretty irritated, something like that should be an 'all hands on deck' sort of situation.

Seriously? The ability delay bug, the lagfest bug, the multiple flashpoint and OP bugs, the list goes on and on and on. I play many MMO's currently and SWTOR is by far the worst in this regard. Is it a matter of incompetence? Did the wrong people get fired a few months back?

What's up Bioware?

Its pretty hard. Nothing they couldn't manage in a year mind you, but it is pretty hard. Especially when it seems all they do to fix issues is create a fault overwrite.

All those bugs have been fixed bro. Stop makin things up.

Edited by wrmrstacrdwower

What's up Bioware?

/handwave

You do like this game.