Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

warzone game lag

TrixxieTriss
03.11.2020 , 11:26 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Orenprax View Post
I agree that there should be no negligible difference in ping, no matter what content one is running once connected to the server. And truth is I run far more PvP instances than PvE these days, so I’m sure it’s possible it only seems worse in warzones to me. I also realize the OP described their issues in terms of FPS as well as latency, so I’m at fault for conflating the two when relating my experiences by not being clearer.

With that in mind, I am not having FPS issues. The problems I am having are to do with ping. These issues are worse (for whatever reason) when in warzones. It could very well be similar in all grouped or instanced environments; but, I can only speak to warzones vs strongholds. While my ping had been higher than normal outside of warzones; inside, I jumped to over 1-2000ms with a few “running-in-place-red x-disconnects-then-everything-going-super-fast-at-once-catch-ups”.

I have run live traces and it seems like I’m losing packets and having increased ping outside my country on the way to swtor servers. I can accept that my ISP's fibre connection which normally gets 32ms to the game decides to route to places experiencing disruptions about once every one-and-a-half months (the frequency with which this seems to happen with swtor).

What’s odd about it is I don’t experience issues outside the game, and more specifically (I’ll stress here that this is my specific experience with warzones vs stronghold) it’s worse in warzones. And as that pertains to the title of the thread, it prompted me to respond. If only to commiserate. This is only a hand raised, and a “me too”.

I am currently sitting at ~35ms and have no issues. The next time I encounter this issue, I can post pingplotter logs. Maybe even do some tiny sample size, anecdotal experiments.
The reason you aren’t experiencing this out of the game is because it’s how you ISP is choosing to route you to the game.
This is not done maliciously towards Swtor of course, but through an automated algorithm based on commercial paring agreements they have with backhaul companies once it leaves their own network.
The thing to remember is every destination is different and depending one where it is, you might or might not get routed the same as you do to swtor. Which is why you may not have any issues with anything else.
Unfortunately the company maybe routing the traffic to the game through some bad hops that have some bad hardware at the moment.
There is another issue that can affect internet. Every company can use different hardware vendors and sometimes going from one backhaul to another or isp to the backhaul can cause some issues (I won’t go into it because it’s pretty technical).
This can cause packet loss and ping spikes if they don’t mitigate it or something breaks and they need to use another route that has small compatibility issues or isn’t optimised for the same traffic.

moonstriiker
11.28.2020 , 07:40 AM | #12
I'm pretty sure it's latency & server-side lag. I had matches earlier where I'd get hit by someone around the corner a good 1.5 secs before they came to me around the corner and casted it. I also played 4 years ago, and it didn't lag at all. None of these issues, and I had a far worse PC back then. From what I've experienced, PvP is horrible in this game currently unless, probably, you're close to 1 U.S. server location. (I'm in mid-Florida) With the US servers only in Virginia, I'm betting PvP is only enjoyable for those close to Virginia. Anywho, I won't be logging in anymore.

TrixxieTriss
11.28.2020 , 04:09 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by moonstriiker View Post
I'm pretty sure it's latency & server-side lag. I had matches earlier where I'd get hit by someone around the corner a good 1.5 secs before they came to me around the corner and casted it. I also played 4 years ago, and it didn't lag at all. None of these issues, and I had a far worse PC back then. From what I've experienced, PvP is horrible in this game currently unless, probably, you're close to 1 U.S. server location. (I'm in mid-Florida) With the US servers only in Virginia, I'm betting PvP is only enjoyable for those close to Virginia. Anywho, I won't be logging in anymore.
You should try playing from Australia. I’d love to be located a state away from the server.

Nickodemous
11.30.2020 , 05:35 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by moonstriiker View Post
I don't think that this was exclusive to you this weekend. I experienced random server spikes all weekend which created serious lag for a few seconds....then went back to normal. It was not exclusive to pvp warzones also. This has only happened to me on one other occasion and it was before the last patch. Not sure if that is truly the case but it is the only thing I can figure. Normally I have no problem EVER with lag. This has only started happening recently.
Tyranticus - Ty'zor - Maullin - Clandestu - Pepe'nero

The Elite Warlord Club - The PVP FAB FIVE

Nickodemous
12.01.2020 , 05:57 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Nickodemous View Post
I don't think that this was exclusive to you this weekend. I experienced random server spikes all weekend which created serious lag for a few seconds....then went back to normal. It was not exclusive to pvp warzones also. This has only happened to me on one other occasion and it was before the last patch. Not sure if that is truly the case but it is the only thing I can figure. Normally I have no problem EVER with lag. This has only started happening recently.
Or because I had forgotten to update my video card, which I did yesterday, and lag spikes stopped. Sucks getting old, I thought I had already done it.
Tyranticus - Ty'zor - Maullin - Clandestu - Pepe'nero

The Elite Warlord Club - The PVP FAB FIVE