KoToR 1 and 2 remake.

Ivoryhammer

Does anybody else think KoToR 1 and 2 deserve new remakes? Like new combat, Dragon Age Origins style dialogue, a romance system, like Carth and Canderous(maybe) for female romance, Bastila for male romance, and Juhani could be either gender, I think Mission would be a bit risque for that, she's pretty much jailbait.

And KoToR 2 had a ton of cut content that would've made the game so much better.

Even though it probably won't happen, I can still dream right? It's the 10th anniversary of KoToR next year.

welll you can already look around at the mod community... there are quite a few good ones that restore the cut content from KoToR 2 and that put in better textures to make the games look a bit more modern

Yeah I got the restoration project for 2, it helps, but the game still feels like it has something missing. And I probably should look around for HD textures, the game still looks decent for being 9 years old.

I certainly think that KOTOR I and KOTOR II deserve remakes. I mean KOTOR II was so rushed into production that they cut out content that would have made the game more complete and better. Also it would be nice of they used the Mass Effect conversation system and upgraded the graphics to the level they are now.

I agree, a remake of both games, packaged together for PC and Xbox would be very welcome for me. As long as they don't just do what 343 did with Halo Anniversary and just put new graphics on the very old game engine, and add a few terminals.

I'd like to see more minigames like pazaak, a face based on SWTOR's version of Revan, the chance to find out Revan's real name, expanded storyline bridging the two games (showing Revan's mission to Rekkiad, T7's repairs of the Ebon Hawk on Nathema, and T7 returning HK-47's remains to the Ebon Hawk.)

And also if we had optional voiceovers for both Revan and Meetra, using the voice actors from this game, itd just be amazing.

I agree, a remake of both games, packaged together for PC and Xbox would be very welcome for me. As long as they don't just do what 343 did with Halo Anniversary and just put new graphics on the very old game engine, and add a few terminals.

I'd like to see more minigames like pazaak, a face based on SWTOR's version of Revan, the chance to find out Revan's real name, expanded storyline bridging the two games (showing Revan's mission to Rekkiad, T7's repairs of the Ebon Hawk on Nathema, and T7 returning HK-47's remains to the Ebon Hawk.)

And also if we had optional voiceovers for both Revan and Meetra, using the voice actors from this game, itd just be amazing.

I think BW should keep away from editing the storyline, the whole 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' thing applies here. But I'd love to see the graphics updated to the level SWTOR and more detail put into surroundings. Fully voiced actors would also be great fun, as long as the option to customize appearance and gender (which could be greatly expanded) remains.

Its difficult though, by remaking the games BW risks removing its integrity - there's definitely a sense of nostalgia for the old gameplay, graphics and interface.

EDIT: Maybe they could do something similar to what they did with Ocarina of Time? Haven't played it but how much change to they exactly make to the game? Or did they leave completely as it was?

Edited by Beniboybling

Re-released with a graphics update? Sure. I really don't want to see anything changed, though, except to complete KOTOR 2 with all of the files that are already hidden in the game code.

What I especially don't want to see, are voices for Revan and the Exile, nor do I want to see the "dialogue wheel." The dialogue wheel is a piece of garbage BioWare never should have implemented. It changed your character's response choices from clear, concise messages and word-for-word copies of what your character is going to say, into one or two word phrases that leave you guessing at what your character will actually say after choosing that option.

It also oversimplified the system. Pick option 1 to gain paragon points, and option 3 to gain renegade points. In KOTOR, there are sometimes 3 different dialogue choices that will net light points, and 3 more that will net dark points, in the same conversation. And they give different outcomes to the scenario, as well. Since the implementation of the dialogue wheel, there's almost always been only 3 total ways to resolve a situation, the blue way, the red way, and the neutral way. And you always know what path on the wheel will lead you to each conclusion. Boring.

As for giving main character's voices, I think that's a mistake as well. Especially in a game like KOTOR, where you can see the word-for-word message your character is about to speak anyway, there's no need to actually hear your character say the words. Everyone envisions a slightly different voice for their character than everyone else. Forcing us all to hear the same voice, I don't think adds anything to the genre. It does take away our ability to use our own imaginations, though. With a voiced main character, I have to sit through my character yelling and screaming, when I wanted him to stay calm. Without voiced dialogue from the main character, at least I'm happy in my ignorance, thinking my character said that line calmly, even if the dev who wrote the line meant for the emotion there to be anger. Even when I want my character to be angry, there are many different ways to express anger. Sometimes you speak coldly, other times you yell, some people break down and cry in their frustration. I want to be able to decide HOW my character gets angry, or sad, or excited, not have the game decide those details for me.

In KOTOR, Jade Empire, and Dragon Age: Origins (and other games like Fallout), not once did my character do or say anything that was out of character. Multiple times in each Mass Effect game and Dragon Age 2, my character would say things that were out of character for the person I was trying to play. I'd rather they let me use my own imagination to fill in the details and nuance associated with my own character's voice and actions within dialogue scenes. It allows me to play MY character, instead of THEIR character.

That said, I want to say that I agree with the decision to give the main characters in ToR voices, because there's multiplayer. I wouldn't want to have a fully voiced dialogue scene broken up by text responses from other players in my party. Just like I wouldn't want Carth or Bastila to not be fully voiced. In ToR, you're the hero of your own story, but you're the companion in everyone else's. Other players need to be able to hear your character's thoughts and feelings.

-Travail.

I think a remake would tarnish the legacy of those two games... While were at it might as well remake the original trilogy too... ;)

I think a graphics update would do the game good, but I agree, remaking some elements would take away the nostalgia. However you may be aware of The Secret of Monkey Island, its a point and click game made in the 70's (I think). As you can imagine the graphics and interface where pretty basic. But a few years ago they gave it a 'graphics update' basically painted over the original graphics. The colour palette and design where the same but it just had an updated look, I think kotor could really benefit from something like this. As would swtor plyers as they'd have the chance to experience the earlier games that came before.

I'd buy the remakes for 100$ each even if they only had graphic updates. I'd love if they had all the missing content in them and such though. However, I don't think the game designers/company that made KOTOR 1 and 2 have a licence with Lucas Arts anymore, which means they can't do anything Star Wars legally. Something would have to be done about that. I'm really not sure how that whole process works. Edited by Radzkie

I would love to see re-makes of KOTOR 1 and 2. I would also love for Revan and Meetra to have voices. If you don't want to hear them you should have the option to turn them off, but I do want to hear MY characters speak. I wanted my characters in DA: Origins to speak as well, just like Mass Effect, DA2 and this. Updated graphics, a finished KOTOR 2 and voices for the player characters would not tarnish the games in anyway for me. I'd be a lot more excited to play them, and I love those games as they are now. Edited by Kilikaa

I'd buy the remakes for 100$ each even if they only had graphic updates. I'd love if they had all the missing content in them and such though. However, I don't think the game designers/company that made KOTOR 1 and 2 have a licence with Lucas Arts anymore, which means they can't do anything Star Wars legally. Something would have to be done about that. I'm really not sure how that whole process works.

Bioware made the original KOTOR.. I see no reason why they wouldn't be allowed to re-make it. KOTOR 2 was made by, I believe, Obsidian. That one would be a tougher game to re-make because I'd want BW to do it.

Bioware made the original KOTOR.. I see no reason why they wouldn't be allowed to re-make it. KOTOR 2 was made by, I believe, Obsidian. That one would be a tougher game to re-make because I'd want BW to do it.

Did Bioware have no input in KOTOR 2 then, it seems that Obsidian where developing KOTOR 3 - but the don't seem to have anything to have with SWTOR...

Oh god no, they already trashed everything to do with KotOR II in the novel, don't wreck it even more.

Oh god no, they already trashed everything to do with KotOR II in the novel, don't wreck it even more.

I don't blame BW for the things in the Revan novel. That is Drew's fault. I really do believe he hated the idea of Meetra "The Exile" Surik and anything Obsidian did. I bet Tim Zahn would have written a much better novel. Besides, BW only has to make KOTOR 2 what it was going to be with all the missing content and updated graphics. The only thing they would add are voices to Revan and Meetra. Other than that what would they need to touch?

I don't blame BW for the things in the Revan novel. That is Drew's fault. I really do believe he hated the idea of Meetra "The Exile" Surik and anything Obsidian did. I bet Tim Zahn would have written a much better novel. Besides, BW only has to make KOTOR 2 what it was going to be with all the missing content and updated graphics. The only thing they would add are voices to Revan and Meetra. Other than that what would they need to touch?

They might get carried away....

They might get carried away....

True, but keep in mind LA would also have to be involved. If they tell BW adding voices and the deleted content are fine and to leave it at that then BW has no choice but to comply. This is where having LA put heavy restrictions on BW would be beneficial.

Much love for Bioware, but I don't think I could trust them with a remake of KOTOR 2. Even without the restored content that game was much better than the first one (in my opinion). Lucasarts would have to put major restrictions on Bioware to keep KOTOR 2 its own game, so they can't turn it into another Revan novel fiasco.

Keep in mind that SWTOR was made before Revan came out and Drew is writer for the game. No doubt he wanted a flashpoint or some specific encounter with Revan in the game. So he wrote Revan into the game.

Edited by Aurbere