Star wars books... Give me a decent one!

Not sure if this is the right section to post this. but I enjoy reading and I like fantasy sci-fi etc.

Ive read a few star wars books many I cant remember the title of. memorable ones being Truce at Bakura , some of the jedi knight series. the Darth Bane series <-- which was actualy pretty good for what it was.

The problem I have with the star wars books is that they become predictable and boring, given the variety of authors covering star wars universe i simply dont know the good ones from the bad, and unfortunately end up getting books i dont finish because I lose interest.

Ive read alot David Gemmel , James Barclay , Tolkien , ive dabbed in the Raymond Feist Magician series. Im currently reading Geroge RR Martin , game of thrones .... and I know that the star wars books dont carry that sort of epic scope, as the forementioned authors . but is there some series within the star wars universe remotely complex? and engaging?

I love star wars lol. just want more interesting books. do they exist?

Edited by falcon_Xtreme

Hello! First time poster here and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents. The Han Solo Adventures written by the late Brian Daley are by far the best Star Wars books in my opinion. The trilogy is all about Han and Chewie before they met Luke and Obi-Wan on Tatooine. Gritty and compelling; Han and Chewie are definitely not to be messed with; no "Greedo shot first" scenerios here. I recommend this trilogy to anyone who asks me for a great Star Wars read. :p

Second and third offers would be the The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn and the Star Wars: Wraith Squadron series by Aaron Allston. Hope my suggestions help! :)

Hello! First time poster here and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents. The Han Solo Adventures written by the late Brian Daley are by far the best Star Wars books in my opinion. The trilogy is all about Han and Chewie before they met Luke and Obi-Wan on Tatooine. Gritty and compelling; Han and Chewie are definitely not to be messed with; no "Greedo shot first" scenerios here. I recommend this trilogy to anyone who asks me for a great Star Wars read. :p

Second and third offers would be the The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn and the Star Wars: Wraith Squadron series by Aaron Allston. Hope my suggestions help! :)

Actually, this post here pretty much hits the nail right on the head, although I would have listed them the other way...

X-Wing series (not just Allston's, but also the ones by Michael Stackpole - both are good)

Rather than say The Thrawn Trilogy, I'd probably suggest the entire Thrawn series starting with Outbound Flight, and ending with Survivor's Quest.

Chronologically, they are:

• Outbound Flight,
  • Allegiance,
  • Heir to the Empire,
  • Dark Force Rising,
  • The Last Command,
  • Spectre of the Past,
  • Vision of the Future,
  • Survivor's Quest.

The Han Solo adventures are not the best SW novels, or so I think anyways, but they are still very good, and provide a good insight into Han Solo's early life.

Actually, this post here pretty much hits the nail right on the head, although I would have listed them the other way...

X-Wing series (not just Allston's, but also the ones by Michael Stackpole - both are good)

Rather than say The Thrawn Trilogy, I'd probably suggest the entire Thrawn series starting with Outbound Flight, and ending with Survivor's Quest.

• Outbound Flight,
  • Allegiance,
  • Heir to the Empire,
  • Dark Force Rising,
  • The Last Command,
  • Spectre of the Past,
  • Vision of the Future,
  • Survivor's Quest.

The Han Solo adventures are not the best SW novels, or so I think anyways, but they are still very good, and provide a good insight into Han Solo's early life.

This^

That said, Stackpole's X-Wing books and comics are the best Star Wars series out, imo. Tim Zahn's Thrawn books are a close second, but overall I prefer the X-Wing series. It proved that main movie characters weren't needed to carry the story in post-RotJ novels.

The posters above me have listed many of the great SWU books, however if you are not entirely opposed to graphic novels and comic books, I'd suggest Crimson Empire.

It has an interesting plot, truly epic battles(including the final one) and you get a rare glimpse into the inner workings of the elite of the Galactic Empire's military forces, the Imperial Guard, as well as seeing the galaxy from their perspective.

Edited by Temeluchus

This^

That said, Stackpole's X-Wing books and comics are the best Star Wars series out, imo. Tim Zahn's Thrawn books are a close second, but overall I prefer the X-Wing series. It proved that main movie characters weren't needed to carry the story in post-RotJ novels.

I agree with most of these points, but I will say I preferred the Wraith books (Allston's) to Stackpole's. I felt while Stackpole did do a brilliant job writing them, the characters in Allston's felt more 'alive' I guess the word is.

I've always enjoyed Troy Denning's books. However, I do know that Kevin J Anderson has writern a few star wars books, if they are anything like his Saga of Seven Suns then they will be well worth a read, or if you just want and awesome sci-fi series in general, go for the Saga of Seven Suns.

• [* ] (this IS MY FAVORITE, )Outbound Flight,
  • Allegiance,
  • Heir to the Empire,
  • Dark Force Rising,
  • The Last Command,
  • Spectre of the Past,
  • Vision of the Future,
  • Survivor's Quest.

Outbound flight FTW

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for, but I would concur with the others who have listed Timothy Zahn's trilogy as the place to start.

Heir to The Empire

Dark Force Rising

The Last Command

Familiar characters, plus some new ones to root for...and arguably one of the best villains (my opinion) ever.

Kevin J. Anderson's books - he writes well, but despite having read one trilogy more than once, I really don't remember much about it. Not even the name of the trilogy, or any of the individual books in it, if that tells you anything. I just think he wrote too many books, in too short of a time. That's just my opinion, though.

Riôt

Perfect start. these books have it all, Han is a player in these books make me laugh, intro to Chewie, Boba and lando.

Also explains the kessel run and how he shaved time off it, aahh im going back to read these again :)

Perfect start. these books have it all, Han is a player in these books make me laugh, intro to Chewie, Boba and lando.

Also explains the kessel run and how he shaved time off it, aahh im going back to read these again :)

Brian Daley (RIP) did a great job of filling in George's plothole with that explanation of the Kessel Run. :)

I agree with most of these points, but I will say I preferred the Wraith books (Allston's) to Stackpole's. I felt while Stackpole did do a brilliant job writing them, the characters in Allston's felt more 'alive' I guess the word is.

I cried manly tears of sorrow when

Ton died.

I always like to suggest Yoda: Dark Rendezvous by Sean Stewart, a gem often missed and underrated. It's portrayal of Yoda and Dooku, and their relationship and philosophies, is very interesting and clever. It's a surprisingly good character study, with a splash of Star Wars-y action of course.

Edited by DarthRobert
Additional material

lol I have over 130 SW novels alone (114 in audio book format to because I use to listen to them while on patrol)... that's not counting the guides, RPG books and whatnot that aren't actual novels...

most are good some are meh but the thing I loved about them is that even the so-so ones are worth a read because of how the stories all flow into each other and weave such a detailed and enormously rich universe

only advice I usually give people just starting to get into the EU novels is find somewhere to start (post RoTJ, rise of the empire, old republic eras) and read them in order... because of how interwoven the continuity is if you don't you will either get lost or spoil a lot of the other stories

if you plan on reading a lot of them I'd say start with something like Truce at Bakura ... while not the best of the EU it starts right after the movies end so it's familiar and you won't spoil any of the great books set after it... or even the Thrawn trilogy because when it was written there were no books between it and the end of RoTJ yet so it contains no spoilers from those newer books that were...

here is a list of all the novels... it even has them in chronological order of when they take place

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books

Edited by Liquidacid

lol I have over 130 SW novels alone (114 in audio book format to because I use to listen to them while on patrol)... that's not counting the guides, RPG books and whatnot that aren't actual novels...

most are good some are meh but the thing I loved about them is that even the so-so ones are worth a read because of how the stories all flow into each other and weave such a detailed and enormously rich universe

only advice I usually give people just starting to get into the EU novels is find somewhere to start (post RoTJ, rise of the empire, old republic eras) and read them in order... because of how interwoven the continuity is if you don't you will either get lost or spoil a lot of the other stories

if you plan on reading a lot of them I'd say start with something like Truce at Bakura ... while not the best of the EU it starts right after the movies end so it's familiar and you won't spoil any of the great books set after it... or even the Thrawn trilogy because when it was written there were no books between it and the end of RoTJ yet so it contains no spoilers from those newer books that were...

here is a list of all the novels... it even has them in chronological order of when they take place

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books

Considering TaB takes place almost directly after the celebration on Endor, yes. Definitely a good place to start, and the first sign that Luke likes women other than his sister. :D

I always avoided the books thinking star wars to be more a visual thing than something that would jump at me while i was reading. Then I picked up the first book in the NJO series, and never stopped until it was done.

When Chewie dies at the end of the first book I was stunned. But having a moon fall on you is a hell of a way to go.

It's an up and down series and a serious investment at something like 19 books. Dark Nest was meh, Legacy of the Force was basically what the newer movies should have been (if they could make a movie series of this it would kill the newer movies), and I really liked the latest series Fate of the Jedi (cause I love it when they fight sith). Millenium Falcon is also a good book that follows han and leia as they look into the history of the Millenium Falcon.

I always avoided the books thinking star wars to be more a visual thing than something that would jump at me while i was reading. Then I picked up the first book in the NJO series, and never stopped until it was done.

When Chewie dies at the end of the first book I was stunned. But having a moon fall on you is a hell of a way to go.

It's an up and down series and a serious investment at something like 19 books. Dark Nest was meh, Legacy of the Force was basically what the newer movies should have been (if they could make a movie series of this it would kill the newer movies), and I really liked the latest series Fate of the Jedi (cause I love it when they fight sith). Millenium Falcon is also a good book that follows han and leia as they look into the history of the Millenium Falcon.

That's where I started, pretty much kept me interested all the way through.

New Jedi Order and Fate of the Jedi series have been my recent reads and I enjoyed them very much. NJO is a very long story arc with many authors contributing so you will have some books better then others. I liked the story and remembered which authors I enjoyed and which ones I did not so I can prioritize books down the road.