If I group with another player, do I need to follow them to their ship?

Chiricahua

I'm speaking of at republic fleet, or is there a better way? Also if we get separated on a planet, do they show up on the map?

If you get separated on a planet, you can indeed see the other group member(s) on map.

I'm not sure I understood you first question though: you don't need to go on other players ship, other than for class missions that are in special locations (= not on planets). You can always use your own ship and travel that way. When you land on a planet, the game automatically puts you in same instance if there is more than one.

You don't have to stay anywhere close to one another while grouped. You can travel separately in your own ships - although it is possible to travel together in just one ship or the other, if you are not the same class (I think)

For reference, a guildie and I used to group together and enter the queue for a Flashpoint. Sometimes, he would be doing Oricon and I would be doing CZ-198 while waiting for the queue to pop.

There are little purple figures on the map and compass to show where your group-mates are. Even on the galaxy map, there are indicators for where your group-mates are.

Edited by JediQuaker

if you are not the same class

Actually, there's an option to allow other players of the same class into your class mission phases, but it's off by default. It's worth remembering that only the own of the phase will progress while you're in the same phase though, so you can't have 4 sorcerers, say, all doing their missions at once.