Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

built in VOIP please.

dancezwithnubz
02.23.2014 , 07:52 AM | #1
with full mute/opt-in etc.

Bombers have changed the battlefield, organisation is now more important than ever. VOIP comms using premades are more dangerous than ever.

c'mon BW< help out the players who have a life outside SWTOR and even up the playing field.

Armonddd
02.23.2014 , 07:54 AM | #2
signed

Quote: Originally Posted by dancezwithnubz View Post
c'mon BW< help out the players who have a life outside SWTOR
lol, irrelevant
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

OscarDivine
02.23.2014 , 08:25 AM | #3
I can just hear everybody's terrible music playing over my speakers and game already... Def need a mute option if this is added.

That said...

Signed.

Sangrar
02.23.2014 , 10:14 AM | #4
the main problem I got with this is A: not everyone has a mike, someone would complain the other team all has mikes and their team has only one or two with mikes and start yelling about a "mike imbalance", B: with all the trolls and pretentious people already in chat shouting random crap just imagine what would happen if those people were allowed to yell on mikes, I am imagining it now :"you are all noobs go **** yourselves you supid ***holes go to **** I am better than all you scrubs **** you you *********** ********es!", mute may fix that but still it had to be mentioned, and C: people talking all at once, at least in chat you can see each individual message, what happens if several people are talking at once and no one can understand it? and D: what kind of effect would it have on the game engine, would it cause lag or anything ( just a question not sure what it would do)
Click this REFFERAL LINK for free character transfer, free inventory slot, and one week free sub time for preferred and subscribed accounts! You can read more about it HERE

VoW_LugNut
02.23.2014 , 10:27 AM | #5
An entire team spamming "COVER ME PORKINS!"

no thanks...
Washed up ex-NiM raider
Lugnut/Freddie'Mercury/Qudur

Verain
02.23.2014 , 10:49 AM | #6
I always post in these threads to say:

No. Awful idea.

But first, a word about your "doesn't have a life" thing- the amount of time to download and patch and log in to SWTOR far, far exceeds all the time to get Skype, Ventrilo, Mumble, and Teamspeak combined. The ability to type in about 40 characters worth of login info is also trivial. If you are losing to premades, it's not because you magically have a life. Heck, if you can't even be arsed to speak to someone in a chat program, you're more likely to be the one without one.

Now, on to telling you why this idea sucks.

1- Existing COTS Solution = Reinventing the wheel.
There's several free solutions, and some are even free software. EVERYONE already uses these. This is a PC game, so it doesn't require special hardware or some odd condition or setup. If you find a group to run with, they are already using voice much of the time. So, what does this buy the community? NOTHING. But what does it cost Bioware? A LOT! First, Bioware has to start coding from scratch, meaning they have to task several people with this feature. Second, this feature, once added, will have to keep kicking around, so it will have to be updated with future features. Third, Bioware has to monitor or check this data path through their system, so it adds a whole other dimension to their live support / customer server, so that ENTIRE BACKEND needs to be programmed, and voice is not a cheap data stack to keep around. Fourth, they have to ensure that the features offered and quality offered are competitive with the existing set of free solutions which already work in the general case. This is awful. This reason alone is why this idea is bad and will never ever happen.

2- If you can't be bothered to download a couple megs today, the odds of you being worth talking with are really low.
If you step from "casual" to "hardcore" by downloaded any of the many free options to do team speak, and that strikes you as insane, the odds of you having anything resembling communications are low.

3- The voice channel is only as useful as its least racist member.
It took me all of half an hour to realize that open party chat on the Xbox is ludicrous. Of course, I still play with my friends. I'm sure you CAN find a good group, but at some point, you will run into a bunch of total asses, and then what? When some kid comes in there and spams the voice channel full of awful, not only does customer service have to be spun up on it, but no one will stay in the voice channel at all.

4- The voice channel is only as useful as its least skilled member.
More subtle, if you put a bunch of random people in the channel, one of them being abusive or moronic is enough to keep the good players silent, or they will just leave- but even if everyone has their head in the game, wants to win, and isn't trying to burn the house down, a bad player giving bad advice ("fly in formation! everyone follow me to B!") will be very disruptive compared to other chat forms.

5- Voice chat failed in WoW
Maybe you don't play WoW, but it's a safe bet that way over half of SWTOR players have. I mean, the game is mostly based on it in every way imaginable. GSF is actually most notable for being entirely independent of any WoW offerings, in fact. In any event, voice chat was added to WoW back in like Burning Crusade (2006 or something). Literally no one uses it.

Here it was broken for like several months:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593622934

Note the single pageness of that topic. Note how they IMMEDIATELY tell them to use a third party app, because that is how this problem is solved.

No one wants reinvented the wheel voice chat. No one will use it. It's a bad idea. If it matters to you, buy a public vent. Or use any of the existing public vents, such as oqueue, pick a channel, and spam the info before the match. Or do anything at all except ask Bioware for an expensive bloated feature that will be opted out of by every skilled player the moment some prepubescent voice joins channel and starts calling everyone chuweros.

( Chuwero is from http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/10 , which has some curse words if you are seeking to avoid that).

Armonddd
02.23.2014 , 11:02 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I always post in these threads to say:

No. Awful idea.
The current problem, though, is that your average joe has no obvious incentive to coordinate with his allies. In a team game, that's kind of an issue.

(Well, as much as GSF is a team game, anyway.)
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Verain
02.23.2014 , 11:18 AM | #8
Man, I type stuff in, welcome new players, try to explain a bit.

No one says anything ever. Those guys you want to be in team speak with? Heck no!

okiobe
02.23.2014 , 11:32 AM | #9
In game VOIP would not help pugs become more coordinated. Immature players would spam and abuse VOIP just to be funny. Those who are seriously trying to use VOIP to help their team win would get frustrated because no one would listen to them. It would probably end with them cursing out the team for being uncoordinated and then quitting group.

I do wish there was more communication in the group. At least on my server I rarely see anything in chat besides and occasional 'hi' at the beginning and 'gg' at the end.
The HarbingerThe First Order
Okiobe 55 Commando Mirque 55 Operative
The Ebon Hawk - Mujo
www.twitch.tv/okiobe

Dormancy
02.23.2014 , 11:34 AM | #10
I wouldn't mind having it available. My two predictions are:

1) It will manage to break my Relaxed Vestments Chestwraps again.
2) Nobody will use it anyway (just like ME3 multiplayer's (yes, people still play that)).
Say YAY!