On Fatman, the game IS fun.

Angedechu

This is where I find hope for TOR. (I don't play on FATMAN, but a decent middle sized server, I only use this as a comparison)

Games like FFXIV, and such, tanked because the gameplay utterly sucks AND player dearth

Player dearth is correctible, not gameplay problems on the scale of FFXIV and Warhammer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

then BW should do the right thing...close all the other servers, and make this game a single-sharded universe. Repurpose the closed servers to house the new influx of people on Fatman.

Only if they keep Dalborra. Having now played an MMO and especially PvP at 27ms i don't intend to play at 400ms ever again.

Single sharding the game would mean that the Oceanic players would return to stupid latency.

one world are u freaking kidding me u cant run on fleet when u have 250+ people on it and not have problems for most players that is and u want the hole pop on 1 server no thanks just dont make any more

do managed server transfers to empty the crap servers or better manage new players into old servers better i have a hi pop server leave our aussie servers out of your euro crap

Of course, one does have to consider the OP is trolling due to the subject being:

On Fatman, the game IS fun.

and their first line being:

I don't play on FATMAN

If they don't play on it how do they know it's fun there? Or do they just think massive queues are fun?

Edited by Bhaers

i play on fatman and its awesome. groups for pve are almost automatic and there are plenty of repubs to gank. the fleet has 250+ peak hours and the pvp hot spots like tat or hoth keep the leveling fun. i tried other servers like thendy but its DEAD and staring around at the same 3 guilds almost made me uninstall.

then BW should do the right thing...close all the other servers, and make this game a single-sharded universe. Repurpose the closed servers to house the new influx of people on Fatman.

While I agree with the concept, one server wouldn't work. IMO, they should close all but about 6 servers. Two PVE, PvP, one RP, and one RP-PVP - something for everyone with populated worlds. Too bad this is all a pipe dream.

Edited by Sane

While I agree with the concept, one server wouldn't work. IMO, they should close all but about 6 servers. Two PVE, PvP, one RP, and one RP-PVP - something for everyone with populated worlds. Too bad this is all a pipe dream.

So, some people are saying the game has around 1.7 million subs, but let's be dreadful and say the game only has 600k. Do you understand that it would be technically impossible to run a server with 100k people on it?

Imagine primetime. Fleet with 6k people. That would be just awesome right? 3 FPS YAY!

When server transfers come they'll work like this: Low pop server toons can move to mid pop server X, Y, or Z.

I play republic on Fatman and it is indeed awesome. We're outnumbered 3 to 1 so our pvp queues are instant even at off hours and group invites are always easy to find. The people on republic side are very respectable for the most part but id imagine its like that everywhere on republic side.

So, some people are saying the game has around 1.7 million subs, but let's be dreadful and say the game only has 600k. Do you understand that it would be technically impossible to run a server with 100k people on it?

Imagine primetime. Fleet with 6k people. That would be just awesome right? 3 FPS YAY!

When server transfers come they'll work like this: Low pop server toons can move to mid pop server X, Y, or Z.

I would say a low ball estimate is 1 million active subs now.. putting all that in 6 or even 10 servers ...hell 20 servers would be a bit of a challange. yes they need to lower the server pops.. butthere are inherant problems with that..

consider name changes.. i know i have used the same name on more than one server...who is forced to change their name if they are merged to the same server?

it seems no one considers the logistical nightmare that that would cause. its not fair to ask either person to change the name of the character, and it is definitly impossible for them both to be in game on same server.

one world are u freaking kidding me u cant run on fleet when u have 250+ people on it and not have problems for most players that is and u want the hole pop on 1 server no thanks just dont make any more

do managed server transfers to empty the crap servers or better manage new players into old servers better i have a hi pop server leave our aussie servers out of your euro crap

You just brought shame to all Aussies playing this game.

Actually, you're wrong.

a) The hero engine is actually able to support 100k people on the same server

b) Server hardware isn't a problem either, since a "server" isn't a single computer. Modern servers are virtual systems ran on clusters of computers that can be expanded at will, and it takes just the same hardware to house 1.7M players on a single shard as it takes to house them on a hundred shards.

Though the server latency due to coordinating all the data would probably rise to borderline levels, but technically it IS quite possible.

c) Client limitations are overcome by instancing. This is already done, and on Fatman you'll often see a second instance of the fleets.

Yes, loading appearances for 250 players at the same time causes a temporary stutter, but once loaded it's quite playable on any mid-range gaming PC.

You'd still need regional and playstyle shards, though.

And, since I actually DO have a tourist alt on Fatman, i can agree with the OP: On Fatman, the game IS fun.

My main server is among the top-poplulated european ones - which basically still means that you'll only see fleet reach 100+ players at prime time on weekends and holidays. Normally it feels just empty.

And if I weren't in a guild that actually gets stuff done, I'd really consider rerolling to Freedon Nadd, which is the european Fatman. The difference when it comes to finding groups and waiting for pvp is just ridiculous.

It doesn't have to be a single-shard-fits-all.

But this game WOULD be a lot more fun if current Fatman would be the AVERAGE server - which would mean around a dozen servers max for each region (US West, US East, EU English/International, EU German/French, APAC, ...)

For now I'll just enjoy my tourist alts on Fatman and Freedon Nadd when I feel like playing an MMO instead of a single player game with co-op mode provided by guild. It IS fun.

Perhaps BW/EA gets the message before it's too late - I wouldn't bet on it though. In fact, with the recent anouncement that transfers won't happen before "early summer" (which basically means: July), I'd actually bet against them. Such a shame, such a waste ...

Indeed. As I recall, people are complaining about the massive queue to log into Fatman.

Guess the game isn't so fun when you're stick in line.

I would rather wait 1 hour to login than to wait 40 minutes between every single WZ.

Anyone who wouldn't is an idiot.

The Swiftsure is just as fun, can usually find 150+ people on the Fleet in the evening hours (Emp and Republic)

Even during the day there is a nice 80-100 people there thanks to all of us East Coasters who fit into the PST playtime.

I started an alt on another server with a friend when the game came out (he didn't play long), logged onto that server a few weeks ago and I cant believe that anyone would even bother to log on there anymore, was 20 people on the fleet and I'm pretty sure they were all zombies...

I rerolled on The Fatman, and have enjoyed the experience there so very much. :)

I re-rolled as-well.

I personally thought the chances of a decent republic population was slim...Till I saw 200+ on the republic fleet and 120+ on coruscant...100+ on ord mantell

People are sending out LFG groups in heroics and flashpoints constantly

* Warzone queues are VERY fast. Atm for 10-49.

* Saw like 70 reps by the pvp vendors on the fleet.

- Normally I only see 5 or 10 on my old server.

Yeah, I'll stay on fatman.

Edited by Valperion

on the fatman is fun maybe but other servers is died and is not fun wait 30 min queue. EU servers comepletely died most of them, they need to shut down many died servers. My server died i 1 month ppl just gone stoped playing changed to GW or back to wow some waiting D3. I gave up at valor 84 and going to play diablo 3 im tired of promises and wait ages for queue, all guild mates did the same we had 68 ppl in guild now only 3-4 online ussually. how you can explain it? i look at many servers rating the game is going down pretty fast compare to wow swtor 6 months old wow still have this month 10.3 million ppl. they doing sales on game because they losing players im looking for servers rating everyday and its going down http://www.torstatus.net/ Edited by Algaaa