Hideous looking gear - come on Bioware, you can do better!

Dvander

I've noticed increasingly the higher level you go, the more hideous the outfits get. Some are just plain old ridiculous. For example, looking at screenshots of the 1.2 tier gear, it is mind boggling why the Trooper class for example, has shark fins on their boots. Everything else seems okay, and then you ruin the entire look by adding a dolphin like fin on the outside of the boots.

Then there is the consular brown, new version of a robe, cut down the middle exposing the shoulder - okay that is interesting, but then you get to the lower half of the body where you have a bell bottom type design that totally ruins the form of the model. Again, totally unnecessary to have made the lower half of the robe into some sort of balloon shape cut in with various edges. Overall, hideous.

Then there is the Knight version, that looks like he is out of the time of the Indian Mohicans. All he needs is a Tomahawk and the look is complete. The pants are really - pants - and that ruins the whole look. What's next, give him some running shoes?

I can't see that being Jedi fashion, no matter how 'before the time' of the movies this game is supposed to take place in. Lastly I think your designers are going overboard with this 'old fashioned' (?) design style. These designs would be a shame in the 1920s for example and up. So I don't know where they are drawing their inspiration from. Those eras are known for their fashion and most currently designers today still look at those for inspiration.

There is nothing fresh in these designs, and when by some miracle they get something new and interesting, they add something that completely ruins the form of the outfit and thus destroying the aesthetic.

Your artists need to watch the Episode 1-3 movies for ideas or rather prototypes upon which to build their designs. High level Jedi robes for example, should be in woven folded silks, with a slick black coat, perhaps with a hood down model - since every other robe in the game has a hood. Enough with the hoods? Perhaps some variation? Some with the hood up, some with the hood down. You don't need technology for that, just make two sets. The overcoat has to flow nicely, see Obi Wan's robe, and not have stupid things like shark fins on it. See Anakin's robe, compare the two. They are different enough but still share some things in common to be called different. The patterns and possibilities are limited only by your consistency - and not adding weird things onto them.

Lastly, look at Japanese kimonos/feudal male jacket designs, and the traditional robes of a court samurai to get an idea for how to design aesthetic lines. Very few pieces of armor in this game have any aesthetic quality. Like I said, the early armor you get on your starting planet looks 100 times better than anything you will wear later on, which gets worse and worse. From Jedi, to Bounty Hunter, and so on. (Starting planet that is, the later 40ish level Bounty Hunter armor from Armormech looks pretty good.)

Fix Jedi robes on model 2, where the butts extrude out 1/3 of the model. This is clearly a bug. No other model type has extruding butts.

I really hope 1.2 changes this and we are able to make orange versions out of quest items - some of them are actually unique looks - like from prototype random blue drops which look infinitely better on my 50 Jedi outfitted from Synthweaving who really just looks like a vagrant. Anakin and Obi Wan certainly didn't look like vagrants to me. They had a sense of mystery about them. Something these designs do not capture and are missing a lot of.

Less convoluted designs = better aesthetics all around.

I don't mean to sound too harsh, but time is running out on this issue and I don't see the future improving from the screenshots we have seen so far.

Edited by Dvander

The timeframe between Swtor and episodes 1-3 movies is significantly removed. Why should they dress the same or even similar? We don't dress as people did 1000 years ago, generally, and certainly not in the interest of fashion.

The timeframe between Swtor and episodes 1-3 movies is significantly removed. Why should they dress the same or even similar? We don't dress as people did 1000 years ago, generally, and certainly not in the interest of fashion.

So the fashion of the Old Republic was:

Hugh Jass, Jedi Knight!

Some of the gear is absolutely terrible, but using the movies to make your case does not work. I dont even know what humans were wearing a 1000 years ago, but it would look drastically different than what we wear today.

Not one piece of smuggler gear looks good. I wont even play the class because of this. Smugglers dont wear capes, its a fact. (Lando was a Baron when he wore his, he dropped it the sec he got the Falcon back lol)

Whats the difference between lvl 14 Jedi Knight gear and lvl 50 Rataka gear? A little armor on the shoulders is all. Plus the big butts lol... Big booty jedi walking around dropping it like it was hot. What the hell were these guys thinking.

Its not like Bioware can not come up with good gear. Bounty Hunter from lvl 40 and up looks great. I would say with the exception of BM Socr gear, all the Empire stuff looks great.

I say let the fans send in there art work and concept ideas and have a contest.

Edited by CharleyDanger

No they can't. Not even one set of gear is very good. Maybe some are only "good", but most of them are horrible. They've got worst designers ever.

And what is the best - look on trailers / intros for SW TOR. They are perfect models, perfect gear. But where it is now in game? It disappear!

AND YES, gear and outfits in the game may look +- same like in the movies. Just go and play KOTOR, there are some nice piece of gear and its similar to that in movies. Just a little evolution by the time, but Jedi and Sith has traditions. They didn't wear some stupid outfit and 1000 years later simple and ****** looking robes.

Edited by RixoFutu

I'm really not a fan of most of the armour looks in the game. To be honest I'm generally very disappointed with visual character options anyway. Including character creation. Everything seems so... 'wacky'.

I don't think it's fair to say not to look to the movies for inspiration. I realize that ToR is set waaaaaaaay back in the past compared to the films, but if you look at the technology and the general design of the ships, stations, vehicles, etc. they haven't progressed that far in that time.

So, why would the clothing be different because it's so far back in time? Nothing else is.

This is why we need apperance tab and it was told to Bioware from the very start. They armor design is full of ****. Like they have no people that could think of something nice that don't look stupid. When did you move from "star wars" to "lady gaga" ??

Something to think about:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/6212/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Endgame-Fashion-Shows.html

I'm really not a fan of most of the armour looks in the game. To be honest I'm generally very disappointed with visual character options anyway. Including character creation. Everything seems so... 'wacky'.

I don't think it's fair to say not to look to the movies for inspiration. I realize that ToR is set waaaaaaaay back in the past compared to the films, but if you look at the technology and the general design of the ships, stations, vehicles, etc. they haven't progressed that far in that time.

So, why would the clothing be different because it's so far back in time? Nothing else is.

Now that I think about it, my favorite set of gear in SWOTOR, the lvl 40 Bounty Hunter PvP gear, looks very similar to the Boba/Jango Fett gear.

I agree, making the gear look more OT and Prequel would mean a lot less pissed off SWTOR players.

Didn't they way in some Q&A that we'd get an appearance tab in 1.2? At least something about social armor for med/heavy? Just saying it would help open up the option for look customization.

But, I don't think it's happening yet after all, unless someone can confirm.

That social 3 pilot armoring is calling me...

Edited by Stenrik

well.. i think the inquisitor gear looks great.. im currently lvling a sorc and assassin purely for the war hero gear lol

Haha, thats one of the worst sets :D

But yea, it shows that people got different taste, wich is why every single piece of gear should be orange so people could pick and chose like they want.

I like the lv 20 inquistor alot more for example, looks like something a sith would wear, the lv 50 pvp set looks like something out of a Lady Gaga video.

And yet the level of technology between SWTOR and the films hasn't changed at all.

And yet the level of technology between SWTOR and the films hasn't changed at all.

The "level of technology" advances and declines for different species at different times. I see your argument, but it's actually much deeper and would derail this thread. It suffices to say at one point, 30k+ years prior there were species with even greater levels of tech that incorporated force, amounting to galactic-power-imbalancing artifacts, only to be tossed, by their own internal strife, basically back into the stone age (rakata) or "removing themselves" to distant, protected localities. What we have now are the then-fledgling races "coming of age" re-discovering the "old stuff".