Why do Sith and Jedi use swords instead of guns?

cool-dude

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something more Elegant as well as Dignified and Honorable to battle with something up close and personal as with a Light saber or sword or some other melee weapon. When one is slayed by such a melee weapon, it is more Honorable then a Blaster shot that some one just got lucky with, or the pray and spray and hope they hit something.

And also as it says in the movie, " It is more Dignified and less clumsy as a blaster is" ?

I would say that it takes mad skills but i think back to SW 7 and remember the Ex Trooper taking on REN with no training on the use of a light saber. So I will not say it takes "Mad skills", based on what i said.

But then again it is as COOL as HELL to kill someone with a Light Saber....:D

Edited by Sith-Viscera

When the Je'daii Order was founded blasters were not that common. Also you can use a sword to defend, not only attack (see Soresu). Also bladework allows the Jedi/Sith to express his/her personal concepts, beliefs, mentality through the 7 forms (Shii-Cho, Makashi, Soresu, Ataru, Shien, Niman, Juyo) and variants (Jar'Kai, saberstaff etc.) during combat. Lightsabers can cut through basically anyhing (except cortosis, phrik, songsteel or beskar), something guns can't do. And last (and least) it's an identifying symbol of both Orders. (Even the Rakata used a similar weapon, the forcesaber.)

I was just thinking that a force-user that used the force to enhance his/her senses and physical abilities would be a lot more effective with a fire-arm. Only using Sabers for hand-to-hand combat or slicing into things. Most, if not all, people who fire weapons at Jedi/Sith are non-force users. but if we had a force user that used the force to practically make him/herself a kind of a real super soldier. I cant imagine a Sith with a saber or a Jedi with a saber winning. Edited by cool-dude

Ummm... Exactly what extra can the Force provide for guns? You can't imagine a lightsaber-Jedi defeating a gun-Sith? Well, let me explain: Force Leap, Slash. Done. You know you can deflect and reflect bolts with a saber but you can't defend a saber with a rifle...

This is actually lamer than Force Awakene

See entire new jedi order era.

or if you prefer canon only, Kanan and Ezra.

Both is actually quite common. Sometimes both at the same time (or totally combined in the case of S1+2 Ezra), sometimes just switching back and forth as the situation demands.

The old republic Jedi don't probably because they were arrogant, they didn't see any need for the "uncivilized" and "clumsy" weapons.

It's not cannon anymore but there was Laranth Tarak in the Courscant Nights series of books that was a blaster wielding Jedi.

I think part of the reasoning is the philosophy that if Jedi have to kill, they should be up close and personal so they feel it to try and prevent them from killing needlessly.

The Sith, on the other hand, I'm not quite sure why they use lightsabres, other than to see the fear in their enemy's eyes as they kill them or to display their power.

I'm a little surprised Sith don't use a bigger array of weapons, other than your planet killing type. I suppose if they used blasters the Jedi, who traditionally practice a more defensive style of lightsabre combat, would just sit back and deflect the bolts and they'd be at a stalemate.

It's just to make them unique, no real reason. If they wanted to be completely combat effective, they'd also use a blaster with their lightsabers. Obi Wan's line after killing Grevious with a blaster always annoyed me. I'm sorry you can't see the tactical advantages of a projectile weapon Obi! Because I guess decapitating someone with a plasma blade is just oh, so civilized.

It's not cannon anymore but there was Laranth Tarak in the Courscant Nights series of books that was a blaster wielding Jedi.

I think part of the reasoning is the philosophy that if Jedi have to kill, they should be up close and personal so they feel it to try and prevent them from killing needlessly.

The Sith, on the other hand, I'm not quite sure why they use lightsabres, other than to see the fear in their enemy's eyes as they kill them or to display their power.

I'm a little surprised Sith don't use a bigger array of weapons, other than your planet killing type. I suppose if they used blasters the Jedi, who traditionally practice a more defensive style of lightsabre combat, would just sit back and deflect the bolts and they'd be at a stalemate.

By stalemate do you mean 'they deflect the shots back at the shooter and, lacking an awesome blaster deflecting plasma sword, the shooter gets killed'?

Ummm... Exactly what extra can the Force provide for guns? You can't imagine a lightsaber-Jedi defeating a gun-Sith? Well, let me explain: Force Leap, Slash. Done. You know you can deflect and reflect bolts with a saber but you can't defend a saber with a rifle...

This is actually lamer than Force Awakene

A force-user who uses a gun, like an assault rifle, might of focused their entire force technique around predicting an enemies movements, improving their speed, and the ability to hide their force presense. if the Jedi/Sith leaped to them, they might of seen it, and used force speed to get out of the way. A force wielder who had training in military fire-arms, maybe mines, grenades, etc, would be superior because they have a wider range of skills outside the force, but can use the force to make themselves faster, hide themselves from other force users, have super human reflexes, etc.

Imagine the operative with force powers.

Edited by cool-dude

yeah pretty much, tradition and skill, mastering forms, you can hold off 5 guys with blasters if you have a lightsaber, but you cant hold off 5 guys using a blaster if they have lightsabers...even if they all have blasters. Lightsaber is not only an offensive but also a defensive weapon and you can also use it as a can opener, or a door/wall opener :D. Lightsaber wins in every way against blaster except in range, and hell you can just throw the saber.

yeah pretty much, tradition and skill, mastering forms, you can hold off 5 guys with blasters if you have a lightsaber, but you cant hold off 5 guys using a blaster if they have lightsabers...even if they all have blasters. Lightsaber is not only an offensive but also a defensive weapon and you can also use it as a can opener, or a door/wall opener :D. Lightsaber wins in every way against blaster except in range, and hell you can just throw the saber.

Yeah, Ki Adi Mundi definitely proved you can hold your own against multiple blasters. Oh wait...

But really, in practical uses, they would have their pros and cons, and a truly effective Jedi or Sith would use both, if writers tried to make sense of this lore. A lightsaber isn't as advantageous as you may think, once you remove all the fluff.

Edited by Sage_of_Battle

Yeah, Ki Adi Mundi definitely proved you can hold your own against multiple blasters. Oh wait...

But really, in practical uses, they would have their pros and cons, and a truly effective Jedi or Sith would use both, if writers tried to make sense of this lore.

Was Ki Adi Mundi a master of Soresu though?

Actually, his preferred style was Soresu, so....

And anyway, why would that matter? He was taken down by 10ish clones, a member of the High Jedi Council.

Nothing just asking,Soresu is basically a wall of defense so i'm surprised he was taken down that easily.

Nothing just asking,Soresu is basically a wall of defense so i'm surprised he was taken down that easily.

Total surprise and Palpatine clouding prediction abilities. The clones received their orders and carried them out without hesitation or malice which also meant few Jedi even had a chance to notice until taking hits.

So the pros and cons are perhaps not quite far off for either weapon. You can deflect blaster bolts with a lightsaber but that requires knowing an attack is coming. Whichever weapon you have a good sniper can take you down from extreme range. And ofc, if you're in a hazardous area (sensitive or explosive equipment for example) you'd have to be really good to deflect bolts safely.

In regards to lore, there's really no sensible explanation. It's just **** writing on George Lucas' part. But, what you can take away from his death and the deaths of other Jedi regarding blasters, is that against overwhelming numbers, it becomes increasingly difficult to defend with just a lightsaber. Geonosis also proved this. And considering no matter the engagement, Jedi will always be outnumbered, they're at a disadvantage more often than not.

In regards to lore, there's really no sensible explanation. It's just **** writing on George Lucas' part. But, what you can take away from his death and the deaths of other Jedi regarding blasters, is that against overwhelming numbers, it becomes increasingly difficult to defend with just a lightsaber. Geonosis also proved this. And considering no matter the engagement, Jedi will always be outnumbered, they're at a disadvantage more often than not.

Ok that's one example, which is fine but as it was said it was like 10 of them. The point stands though that if he had a blaster rifle he wouldn't have faired better. At least he deflected some of them :p

Total surprise and Palpatine clouding prediction abilities. The clones received their orders and carried them out without hesitation or malice which also meant few Jedi even had a chance to notice until taking hits.

So the pros and cons are perhaps not quite far off for either weapon. You can deflect blaster bolts with a lightsaber but that requires knowing an attack is coming. Whichever weapon you have a good sniper can take you down from extreme range. And ofc, if you're in a hazardous area (sensitive or explosive equipment for example) you'd have to be really good to deflect bolts safely.

There where jedi that even managed to escape Order 66 not council member jedi but there where on Kahy*** for some reason that planet was lucky for jedi. I am talking others then Yoda.

There is something more Elegant as well as Dignified and Honorable to battle with something up close and personal as with a Light saber or sword or some other melee weapon. When one is slayed by such a melee weapon, it is more Honorable then a Blaster shot that some one just got lucky with, or the pray and spray and hope they hit something.

There is nothing elegant or dignified about fighting with a sword. In real life sword fights last about 3-5 seconds between trained opponents before someone gets hit. And in real life killing people in close quarters combat is gory, bloody, and horrifying. The more distance between you and your opponent, the more likely someone is willing to kill the other guy, because with guns it can be less personal.

Also yeah, why has nobody given a Jedi a sniper rifle? I mean Bane pulled a Halo-style headshot killing spree with one in the books. And that was before he was even trained in how to properly use the force.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Ok that's one example, which is fine but as it was said it was like 10 of them. The point stands though that if he had a blaster rifle he wouldn't have faired better. At least he deflected some of them :p

Actually, regarding your original point, it's pretty debatable, considering one person in a defensible position can hold off double or even triple the amount of enemies with a high fire rate weapon. This is true for real life combat situations, I don't see why it wouldn't be true in a battle where the enemies are using projectile weapons in Star Wars. If he had a repeating blaster rifle and was quick on the draw, he could've at least pinned down the clones from cover.

But it's a moot point in Ki's case, as lightsaber or blaster are no match for bad script writing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sage_of_Battle