Galactic Starfighter and the Real Thing

DartSuncho

Okay, I know most of you guys actually enjoy Galactic Starfighter the way it is, but certainly it can become much better. I guess some of you (and hopefully the game designers and managers) have watched the Star Wars movies. The space battles were anything but slow. There was speed. A key concept that's missing here. When I fly my fastest ship on normal speed I feel like I'm driving a paraglider or something. How is this supposed to be epic and cool? You know, there is game named "the need for speed", by the same master company, if I'm not mistaken. Not that i play it, but the idea is that speed alone is sufficient to make a whole new game. I have no idea what drove the designers to make the renown Star Wars space battles the slowest thing in the universe, contrary to the official source. The speed is definitely possible to add, it's actually there, but restricted for some unknown purpose and against all action logic. So here are my suggestions:

1. Make the boost speed normal speed. Put brakes if you must for fine maneuvers but let us enjoy the flying. You know, this moment when you pop up from what it looks to be a wormhole (when you should be on your carrier ship actually) and head for the action takes forever. It's a moment of prolonged agony and is quite exhausting. I mean literally. By the time you reach another ship your engines are depleted, and the chasing begins on slow cadence. That's, of course, if you're driving fast enough in the beginning to not fall asleep. On "normal" speed you have enough time to make a coffee. What kind of pointless, sadistic design is this?

2. Please, put some option to remove all pollution from the screen, especially the center rings, or make it switchable by some key. That would be beautiful. The marker showing targeted enemy is fine but I see absolutely no need of all the circles that ruin the vision. They add nothing. Zero information. It's not even a cockpit view. Or put it somewhere else, away from the center, if possible.

3. One minor change in the current situation. The shaking of the ship when boosting is ridiculous. It's not a steam locomotive after all. One can assume that putting more energy in some high tech space engine will only rise its temperature. What could be the cause for vibrations? I feel as if the shaking was put to remind the player that what otherwise would be called normal speed is actually something quite exclusive and has to be repaid with sleep mode of recharge.

Okay, I know most of you guys actually enjoy Galactic Starfighter the way it is, but certainly it can become much better. I guess some of you (and hopefully the game designers and managers) have watched the Star Wars movies. The space battles were anything but slow. There was speed. A key concept that's missing here. When I fly my fastest ship on normal speed I feel like I'm driving a paraglider or something. How is this supposed to be epic and cool? You know, there is game named "the need for speed", by the same master company, if I'm not mistaken. Not that i play it, but the idea is that speed alone is sufficient to make a whole new game. I have no idea what drove the designers to make the renown Star Wars space battles the slowest thing in the universe, contrary to the official source. The speed is definitely possible to add, it's actually there, but restricted for some unknown purpose and against all action logic. So here are my suggestions:

1. Make the boost speed normal speed. Put brakes if you must for fine maneuvers but let us enjoy the flying. You know, this moment when you pop up from what it looks to be a wormhole (when you should be on your carrier ship actually) and head for the action takes forever. It's a moment of prolonged agony and is quite exhausting. I mean literally. By the time you reach another ship your engines are depleted, and the chasing begins on slow cadence. That's, of course, if you're driving fast enough in the beginning to not fall asleep. On "normal" speed you have enough time to make a coffee. What kind of pointless, sadistic design is this?

2. Please, put some option to remove all pollution from the screen, especially the center rings, or make it switchable by some key. That would be beautiful. The marker showing targeted enemy is fine but I see absolutely no need of all the circles that ruin the vision. They add nothing. Zero information. It's not even a cockpit view. Or put it somewhere else, away from the center, if possible.

3. One minor change in the current situation. The shaking of the ship when boosting is ridiculous. It's not a steam locomotive after all. One can assume that putting more energy in some high tech space engine will only rise its temperature. What could be the cause for vibrations? I feel as if the shaking was put to remind the player that what otherwise would be called normal speed is actually something quite exclusive and has to be repaid with sleep mode of recharge.

/facepalm "Sigh" where to start with you.

Do you have any idea how much reworks it would require to do what you want? Obviously not. Answer: A LOT.

You are the only person who has it in their mind that this game is to slow. Yet you sight no examples of a game that is indeed fast enough. People describe this as X-wing/Tie Fighter meets Rogue Squadron, GSF defiantly meets their pace of action/speed and those games were highly beloved.

Bioware clearly wanted to provide as many visual element for players to have visual feedback as possible. GS charge cloud makes equally zero sense but I gives feedback to other players that the GS is about to fire. So the same is true for the distortion caused by boosters it's feedback to the player.

"Normal speed you have time to make coffee" You said. Well that's BS as you don't have time to write a simple in game chat in the /ops channel without flying in a straight line getting shot up.

If the UI is so useless to you I believe ALT+Z makes it go away. For me I use every last bit of the info that the UI displays.

Oh and can people stop confusing Electronic Arts and Bioware, Contrary to popular ignorance, EA is very hands off on the developers it owns when it comes to game content, and does not coordinate studios to make them work together on each others game like how you describe.

It really sounds to me like you aren't even interested in a space combat game which GSF is. It seems more like you want a pure flight simulator or perhaps a SW racing game. There is a sector of player base calling for Swoop/pod racers perhaps you should join them. Bioware has announced that there will be another expansion that matches the scale of GSF is size and scope, one theory is Racing.

As for making GSF faster for you, I have a suggestion. Buy some tape and tape your face to the screen, might look faster that way.

Mach 3 is slow? Cause that's about baseline speed for the GSF fighters and scouts.

Compare to the movies and old games where baseline speed is 400-500 mph. About Mach .7 to .85.

What you're lacking, is the ability to fly like a cinematographer. It's not a game problem, you're just not flying well for the purpose of creating an illusion of speed.

The reason the ships seem slow is a two part issue. One the camera is mounted behind the ship a fair distance, rather than a stationary side view that pans along the flight path. Two, you're not flying 5-10 meters away from a large stationary object that give a reference that moves fast enough to blur with speed at the distance that the camera is placed.

Same issue that makes a 140 mph crop duster at work over the fields feel faster to a pilot than a SR-71 at 90,000 feet and 1500 mph. In one you **** your pants when you realize you almost took your head off with those power lines you almost didn't see in time, in the other the ground crawls by ever so slowly.

In short, you're confusing camera zoom and perspective with speed. If you're far away from a stationary reference flight will feel slow to an inexperienced pilot, regardless of the actual speed.

**Edit: He DEFINITELY doesn't want a real simulator. Three to ten minutes just to start the engines and taxi to takeoff, 10 to 500 minutes to fly to the combat zone, a few minutes at most of combat and then flying home. No, for someone who thinks that GSF is too slow a sim that accurately represents things like F-22s, F-15s, F-16s, Mig-29s, Su-30s, etc. is going to feel like watching a glacier melt.

As far as flight combat goes, GSF is actually bordering on insanely fast. Much faster and it would be very little dogfighting, because no one would be able to hit anything.

If you go by the movies and various published stats on SW ships, you'd actually have to remove boost and reduce speeds by 50% to 65%. Turn rates on some of the ships would have to be bumped up though, especially roll rates.

Edited by Ramalina

If we're thinking of the same circles those indicate your firing arcs. Rather important if you're trying to judge whether you're keeping the enemy fighter well within the lock on arc of your missiles or if they're about to slip away.

They also tell you the firing arc of your blaster. Also very useful if you're trying to gauge how much of a tracking penalty you're going to have and whether it is worth firing at the enemy or if they are so close to the edge of the firing arc that your tracking penalty will be so high you'll likely just waste blaster power trying to get 1 hit.

The circles are kinda important if you're attempting maximize your chances of killing the enemy as efficiently as possible.

Lol, I knew that about twenty people play this expansion (i see their names), so it's pointless to raise any questions. Obviously you didn't get the point. Especially the guy with the LOT-of-reworking on his head. I'll make it simple for you. The boost speed is already there. I can only imagine what hard labour would be required to make the space key pressed all the time. Depletion of the boost engines is the one thing that makes no sense.

There was something like acceleration in Rogue Squadron, but as far as i remember that game was a lot of fun; dont know why, but it looks like the speed (or the recharge time of engines) is an issue here. Or maybe it's the terrain. In Rogue Squadron there was always something to shoot at, because it was not PVP. But when you fly over huge, plain rocks with nothing to do but wait for the sweet boost it becomes tedious... Of course there always will be people who enjoy flight simulators, but their to people who play for fun ratio is indistinguishable from zero with unarmed eye.

And fun means NOT wasting time to get from point A to point B. You can clearly see the right evolution in SWTOR. The game started copying WoW with the philosophy that your time must be wasted running on foot between doing fun stuff so you can spend your days (and hopefully your entire life) as a subscriber. The first mount was at 25 level and the speed buff at 14. Now it's different. Why? Because they understood that the old days are gone. There are other MMOs now which are very dynamic and fun.

Again, in GSF you start from a remote location doing nothing but pressing space to reach the battle. After that you wait. Every battle is a competition and this one is about who is flying slowly until the right moment, so it much more closely resembles a race (when you keep your strength for the finish) than what i propose here. It's simply not fun, but dont worry, the devs will understand it someday. They learn and react, just not fast enough to save their buisness... And I'm not the only person with this issues on mind. I'm the only one here. The others tried it and just quit it. I've seen some of them.

To mr sim: There is a lot of confusion in your head, but I cant help you with that. You can continue to read your mind and respond to it, but it adds nothing to reality.

Edited by DartSuncho