squelch (mute) abuse

is ANYTHING being done about this old issue?

i just got squelched on the fleet for no reason. i had alt tabbed out of the game to do some internet browsing, then i went back in the game to reply to a whisper from a friend. but i couldnt, because i was squelched. i have never spammed in this game, not even for guild recruitment. i know that there was a group of players that wanted to greif me, and now they've done it. i cant enjoy the game until i am unsquelched.

days of my sub will now be wasted.

what the hell.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't 10 people have to report you in a short amount of time for that to happen? I can't imagine someone could find 9 other people to report someone just to annoy them.

10? that sounds correct but wow that is just absolutely....i cant even describe it.

if there's a way to show my chat logs, i will post them here, so you cans see that i was not spamming. i was talking to a few different people through whispers, though.

i am very upset..this was an issue MONTHS ago, and they havent done a single thing to prevent it, all they've done is said "if it happens we'll punish the other people"

"oh yeah but youll still be squelched"

how am i suppose to play pvp? i cant guard nodes efficiently when i cant call for help!!!!

Edited by Darthflowmotion

Yeah I suspect there's more to the story than what you are telling us. You mentioned that there were players trying to grief you, so I suspect that your responded to them in such a way that was deemed as spam. Also the above poster is right, at least 10 other people have to report you before you get squelched.

i am very upset..this was an issue MONTHS ago, and they havent done a single thing to prevent it, all they've done is said "if it happens we'll punish the other people"

So let's be honest here.... clearly you pissed someone off in game for this go be ongoing for months. To go on for that period of time and with the number of different players that would have to report you..... you do the math.

Does not excuse them abusing the /report to squelch you.... but think about it. You have to attract attention in an MMO... given how self involved so many MMO players are these days.

So, who did you piss off? And what can you do to reach out and make peace? It is in your best interests, IMO, to do so.

Edited by Andryah

Yeah I suspect there's more to the story than what you are telling us.

Since he indicated this is hampering his ability to communicate in PvP.. Ima go out on a limb here and say he probably taunts or chats_off in PvP and has drawn this grief to him.

Beyond that.. who knows..... it's the internet.. he could spin us any yarn he likes.. from complete truth to complete fiction. :)

Never underestimate the power of *****. He could very easily be telling the simple truth. You'd be amazed how many people on the internet will readily team up to be an *** to someone, with little provocation.

I imagine your best bet, OP, is to put in a report to CS about the people who you suspect are abusing the system. Give CS as much of the straight up facts you know as possible and then let them handle the rest. If people really are abusing the system against you, you can probably get them in big trouble for it and make the problem go away.

Making a thread... I doubt is gonna do you much good.

The odds are, however, that he isn't.

Or at the very least is only telling the side of the story that makes him look like the victim.

See, the way I was raised, you try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure what you'd call the opposite of that (I guess "guilty until proven innocent") but it's perplexing to me. It's kind of discouraging to imagine that people with a mindset like this probably end up on juries sometimes.

I guess one could argue that it's saying "innocent until proven guilty" for the people who are supposedly squelching him, but why would you give them the benefit of the doubt and not the guy describing the problem? It's like a sort of anti-treachery belief or something. "If there is a one-sided story, it's probably false."

If we are going on pure, detached odds, the odds would be that he may or may not be telling the truth, and that there's a high chance of his story being somewhat biased, simply because of how the human brain works (note, however, that this does not mean there's a high chance of bias that makes him the bad guy... in terms of odds, it could go either way, 50/50). With no information about him aside from his story, it's basically a 50/50 split the whole way.

So if we're really going to be pedantic about this, the logical thing to do is to assume equal possibility of him being a victim, him being a villain, and anything in-between. From this basis, someone whose job it is to resolve the situation would need more information to make a logical decision about whether his story holds up as is portrayed.

But I'm not here to be 100% logical. In this instance, I prefer the benefit of the doubt. Since there is no one named in the story aside from himself and no resolution to the situation without getting CS involved, there is no benefit to me approaching the situation as if I'm judge/jury (with the logical odds) or approaching it as biased-against-him condemner ("he's probably not telling the truth"). The only action I can do that serves any good is to assume that he is the victim and attempt to give him sympathy/advice as if he is. Any other action I can do, aside from silence, ultimately has no social benefit.

There's some logic for you...

This has happened to my friend recently. He received an apology from cs and confirmation that the system was abused but the mute can't be removed since it is all an automated system.

This is easily abusable and it is not so hard to get a bunch of friends to report someone, especially if you're popular in your guild. I've seen this hapenning more than once. Automated squelch has to go, it doesn't work against credit spam like it was intended to.

I've seen squelch and mass-report abuse first-hand so I am far from readily assuming, like so many of you, that op got what he deserved.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

So let's be honest here.... clearly you pissed someone off in game for this go be ongoing for months. To go on for that period of time and with the number of different players that would have to report you..... you do the math.

Does not excuse them abusing the /report to squelch you.... but think about it. You have to attract attention in an MMO... given how self involved so many MMO players are these days.

So, who did you piss off? And what can you do to reach out and make peace? It is in your best interests, IMO, to do so.

i was referring to the squelch system being abused months ago. this is the first time i have been squelched

Never underestimate the power of *****. He could very easily be telling the simple truth. You'd be amazed how many people on the internet will readily team up to be an *** to someone, with little provocation.

I imagine your best bet, OP, is to put in a report to CS about the people who you suspect are abusing the system. Give CS as much of the straight up facts you know as possible and then let them handle the rest. If people really are abusing the system against you, you can probably get them in big trouble for it and make the problem go away.

Making a thread... I doubt is gonna do you much good.

thank you.

i only made the thread because i was really angry last night..normally i'd just whisper a friend in game and talk to them about something like this but nope, i cant even do that! :mad:

also, am i wrong for thinking that squelching only exists to stop spammers? or is it meant to be used on normal players just because you dont like them?

This is easily abusable and it is not so hard to get a bunch of friends to report someone, especially if you're popular in your guild. I've seen this hapenning more than once. Automated squelch has to go, it doesn't work against credit spam like it was intended to.

this is what i would have said in the OP if i wasn't an autist

Don't 10 people have to report you in a short amount of time for that to happen? I can't imagine someone could find 9 other people to report someone just to annoy them.

9 people is not that many people to get if you want to grief someone and they think it is funny.

I am curious though what you did ingame, to piss off enough people to where they would do it...

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

i only made the thread because i was really angry last night..

Oh, it was very clear you were angry.

Best not to post on a gaming forum when angry. Nothing good comes from it.

In fact, posting this thread does your particular case absolutely no good at all.

If you feel you have been griefed, you need to take that up with CS. You know.. someone who can actually follow up on who did what to you and sanction them for it.

Edited by Andryah

well it looks like this one only lasted for 12 hours, but ive read that the next time it happens it will be 24 hours....hopefully it never happens again.

time to change my character's name :(

What were you saying though? Were you in general chat? Were you spamming guild recruitment messages? What were you doing when you got squelched exactly?

What were you saying though? Were you in general chat? Were you spamming guild recruitment messages? What were you doing when you got squelched exactly?

i was just afk in the fleet cantina. came back, went to reply to a friend's whisper, then i saw that i was squelched. :(

• 10 months later...

That "squelch" option sucks....

I was squelched for nothing. Just 10-20 guys from one guild reported me for nothing. Now I cant say anythingl...... Even in WZs. Thats not good for the other players. How the hell Im supposed to tell "INC GRASS" or something like that?

The players still abuse it.... A whole guild can report you and squelch you in a seconds... Just if their leader say so.

Edited by iankalo