Spacebar has never, ever seen this much love

Kharui

I tried.. I tried to get into the story. I really did! I knew coming into this game that it was going to be story heavy, but I love star wars and I love mmo's so there was no way I wasn't giving this game a shot.

At the start, the "let's talk crapola" for 2 minutes while I grab a quest was cute.. even interesting, espesially the class quests! But I am now at a point where I get to a quest hub and basically cringe at the thought of talking with an NPC.

"Just hit spacebar if you can't handle some dialogue". Okies.. done that and I'm still mad as hell and just not up for this type of play. Goodluck to ya if you can sit through the dribble on every alt, through every quest (even spamming spacebar).

I had fun for a little bit.. nothing new really except for a full on frustration fest of a leveling experience for me. I am sure I am not alone, but also, I can see how many people would like this type of questing.

I wish the game the best but it just isn't good enough for me to overlook the SPACEBAR SPAM I face with questing. I hope I never see this style in any future MMO I play.

Have fun ya'all!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with you

I honestly couldn't care less WHY you want me to kill 10 boars.

I do actually listen to most of the class quest stories though, but the 4 million boring side quests really makes me lose patience

Honestly, once you've played one bioware game you've played them all. The story has been re-skinned since the first kotor

Edited by Lucerin

I love the story. I sat through all of the Republic story on my trooper, and I mostly skip it on my alts now (except if the quest is awesome story-wise). I don't skip any of the class stories though, and I might do the Republic story again at one point in the future. That said I always skip alien dialogue. It is so annoying to listen to.

I only find myself using the spacebar to just skip over everything when I'm redoing quests on alts. I also use the spacebar a lot when watching for the first time, because its' easier to read the subtitles and space halfway through the voice part. Although for the more important/epic/etc. scenes I don't ever spacebar. It isn't really that big a deal, and I've got quite a few alts... but I acn see how people would disagree.

Have to agree with you

I honestly couldn't care less WHY you want me to kill 10 boars.

I do actually listen to most of the class quest stories though, but the 4 million boring side quests really makes me lose patience

Honestly, once you've played one bioware game you've played them all. The story has been re-skinned since the first kotor

Sometimes the class story isn't enough, I'm sure there's probably a synopsis of them online somewhere so I can read them, because I just want to be 50. In my eyes 1-50 is just a tutorial, because I'm not really interested in the part where I don't have all of my skills and skill points.

Sure it's true but what ? You want more diverse and complex characters with less stereotypical personnalities ?

There's a big problem between your wish and the people playing their games.

Lots of people need help to find which answer is light or dark, why being mean as a Sith Warrior doesn't appeal to Vette or anything like that.

If they include more complex NPCs with more blurry personnalities, how all thoses people will be able to play the game ?

Yeah, I find it amusing how much money they pumped into the Voice Acting, only to have the majority of players spacebar convos.

In flash points: After the second or third time running a FP, who doesn't spacebar?

Leveling Alt Characters: besides class quests, I don't beleive many people listen to the same dialogue that they just listened to not to long ago*.

* Not to long ago because leveling is a breeze and if you have half a brain, you can remember things that happened 3 weeks back.

I love the story. I sat through all of the Republic story on my trooper, and I mostly skip it on my alts now (except if the quest is awesome story-wise). I don't skip any of the class stories though, and I might do the Republic story again at one point in the future. That said I always skip alien dialogue. It is so annoying to listen to.

Thats me too. I love the stories. Interacting with the NPCs give the game a layer of emersion I enjoy. I don't constantly play but when I do I just take my time, relax and have a good time.

So, would you prefer a 'Quest Board' that just has a bunch of notices pinned to it?

'Kill 10 Republic Gunmen'

'Gather 6 droid cores'

'Talk to Sgt. Green'

'Clear enemies out of Scroth Base'

And you just run up and go click click click click and run away?

/shrug, maybe you would. I suspect that you're also the type to NEVER read quest text in other games.

Some of us like a little RPG in our stories.

I thought I would be the same with my second time playing through. But even though there are a lot of the same quests, the different classes have different reactions and motivations and there's a whole other layer when you start doing DS and LS as well. Going into the game again I really thought I would be agreeing with you but I'm very happy to say I'm enjoying all the cut

Scenes second time through

Yeah, I find it amusing how much money they pumped into the Voice Acting, only to have the majority of players spacebar convos.

In flash points: After the second or third time running a FP, who doesn't spacebar?

Leveling Alt Characters: besides class quests, I don't beleive many people listen to the same dialogue that they just listened to not to long ago*.

* Not to long ago because leveling is a breeze and if you have half a brain, you can remember things that happened 3 weeks back.

You don't know how much money was used for the voice acting, you don't know how many people use spacebar to skip content or how often.

About alts, I do remember some things but not everything. Also, it's not exactly the same dialogue as I'm not using the same answers (I have characters from 100% light to 100% dark and in between) and some dialogue changes based on species/classes.

It's the first MMO with that much voice acting, I think it's great but not perfect. I agree that in the repeatable part of the game, less talk would be good (but I'm not using spacebar as soon as you wrote, maybe because English is not my native language).

Believe it or not, but my Spacebar has this shiny bit. The plastic there got polished by my thumb while skipping the side quest BS talk.

I listened to it all on my first character, but after that... I can't stand these.

The game has no replay value, I am afraid.

And I know this may sound stupid, but I actually like WoW quests more. I can read them if I want to, or I can just accept the quests and go kill the damn "something" while not feeling claustrophobic cos of the tight spaces on planets like Nar Shadaa or Corellia.

You know... the feeling of open world. For some reason I can't even feel it on Taris.

When I first heard about this game, I was extraordinarily excited. I have been in love with Bioware games since the first time I played KoTOR, and I thought that this game would be a panacea for everything that bothers me about modern MMORPGs (which is mostly the people who play them). For the first time, I thought I had found a game where I would be surrounded by other players who are more or less like myself.

I thought that a game with meaningful group choices would encourage players to be discerning about whom they play with and to make friends with those of like mind. I mean, who could enjoy playing a character with a group of people who constantly make the wrong choices?

I thought that a game with fully voice-acted quests would appeal to mature people with the attention span to enjoy the immersive experience of Bioware games and deter those who simply want to click through their quest text and follow the big yellow arrow to the next thing they have to kill.

I thought that an immersive, story-driven game would attract people with enough personal investment in their game characters to give them minimally appropriate names, and I even hoped against hope that the very immersive nature of Bioware games might foster a game community that places some degree of value on basic literacy (because nothing destroys immersion like conversing with a person who insists on typing using numerals in place of prepositions).

Then I began reading reports from people who played in the beta and I died a little bit inside.

I am sorry if you did not enjoy playing the game, but your inability to sit still for voice-acted quests is a reflection of your own preferences and your own (ill-informed) expectations, not the quality of this game. There are a lot of things I do not find enjoyable about Modern Warfare. That does not make it a bad game.

Fortunately for you, there are lots of other games that do not have cinematic cut scenes for every quest. In fact, I am pretty sure that is every other MMO on the market. Hopefully you can find one that better suits your tastes.

Even on my 3rd alt, I have barely used the spacebar. The different dialogue options, different voice acting, etc is enough for me. I don't get the whole, "i don't care why" crowd when it some to sidequests.

Like someone else said, it would be better to just have the class quest and a bulletin board on every planet with random "Kill 10 creatures, collect 12 items" notices for no reason? I guess for some of you the answer would indeed be yes.

Believe it or not, but my Spacebar has this shiny bit. The plastic there got polished by my thumb while skipping the side quest BS talk.

I listened to it all on my first character, but after that... I can't stand these.

The game has no replay value, I am afraid.

And I know this may sound stupid, but I actually like WoW quests more. I can read them if I want to, or I can just accept the quests and go kill the damn "something" while not feeling claustrophobic cos of the tight spaces on planets like Nar Shadaa or Corellia.

You know... the feeling of open world. For some reason I can't even feel it on Taris.

I love the city planets. Corellia is my favourite planet in the game. Its cool exploring a city from time to time, instead of just wide open spaces like every other MMO. To each his own.

I do find it funny how people say, "THIS IS JUST A WOW CLONE" and they also say, "THIS DESIGN SUCKS CAUSE IN WOW I COULD DO THIS INSTEAD."

Can't win.

How many times has Bioware said this game is set around story telling... yet we continue to have people post how they don't like story of any kind... (sigh)... it's like hating Pizza yet you order it anyways and then complain about it...

I guess some people are slow....

Oh BTW to save some of you some time, there is no end game, or I should say the end game Bioware gave us is a bit of a mess right now, the meat and potatoes of SWTOR is rolling alts and doing there class story...... So if you hate story then this game is definitely not for you.

Edited by Monoth