Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Accuracy - yes, I am a dumb dumb

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Accuracy - yes, I am a dumb dumb

Sappharan
06.29.2020 , 10:11 PM | #1
Perhaps I am not the brightest bulb, but I always took PvP guides' recommendation for 105% accuracy to be just that, a recommendation. Evidently, experience has taught me that it is critical to achieve that rating.

Played a lot of games this evening, and I noticed something curious - my damage for attacks that *should* hit for at least 30k (I have hit for 50k with them) sometimes hit for 7k. Now, I am aware that taunting and tanking are factors to be considered, but that kind of reduction should not be possible. Or is it? I was thinking that with my accuracy so low (about 102.5% and yes, I do intend to get the required 105%) it was reducing the damage I was doing for my opponents. Is this true, or is there some other factor for which I am not accounting?

TLDR (it's short, so this should not be needed) Will a lack of accuracy that is recommended reduce the damage I do in PvP?

Evolixe
06.29.2020 , 10:35 PM | #2
No. The only thing accuracy does is factor in for the roll between a hit or a miss/resist.

5% accuracy will decrease your chance to miss/get dodged/parried or resisted. But its either all damage or none of it.

And this is also what makes it so crucial. Because a little bit of accuracy can literally mean the difference between doing 30k damage in a GCD or doing 0.
Evolixe | Exilove
Darth Malgus
Watch me live on Twitch

Sappharan
06.29.2020 , 10:52 PM | #3
Thank you.

cflems
06.29.2020 , 10:54 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Sappharan View Post
Perhaps I am not the brightest bulb, but I always took PvP guides' recommendation for 105% accuracy to be just that, a recommendation. Evidently, experience has taught me that it is critical to achieve that rating.

Played a lot of games this evening, and I noticed something curious - my damage for attacks that *should* hit for at least 30k (I have hit for 50k with them) sometimes hit for 7k. Now, I am aware that taunting and tanking are factors to be considered, but that kind of reduction should not be possible. Or is it? I was thinking that with my accuracy so low (about 102.5% and yes, I do intend to get the required 105%) it was reducing the damage I was doing for my opponents. Is this true, or is there some other factor for which I am not accounting?

TLDR (it's short, so this should not be needed) Will a lack of accuracy that is recommended reduce the damage I do in PvP?
You're probably hitting into defensive cooldowns which provide damage reduction. Almost every class has some of these, and usually they have a very noticeable animation (saber ward, energy shield). Try not to use your big burst attacks into DCDs, and instead spam fillers or AOE until they run out. Sometimes there are DCDs that last so long that it's worth bursting into them because you'll have your burst back by the time they run out (notably: energy shield, adrenal, deflection, saber ward, ballistic shield). For these cases just try not to waste long offensive cooldowns like recklessness and laze target hitting into large damage reduction which will reduce their effectiveness.

And whether you should run 105 accuracy depends entirely on your class/spec. If you run MM sniper or carnage mara you may even want 110% accuracy. If you run concealment, lightning, madness, or AP, you more likely want zero accuracy. If you play something not listed then around 105 is usually optimal but 102.5 should be fine if you're careful with your big white damage attacks (they don't miss on stunned targets).

Sappharan
06.29.2020 , 11:02 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by cflems View Post
You're probably hitting into defensive cooldowns which provide damage reduction. Almost every class has some of these, and usually they have a very noticeable animation (saber ward, energy shield). Try not to use your big burst attacks into DCDs, and instead spam fillers or AOE until they run out. Sometimes there are DCDs that last so long that it's worth bursting into them because you'll have your burst back by the time they run out (notably: energy shield, adrenal, deflection, saber ward, ballistic shield). For these cases just try not to waste long offensive cooldowns like recklessness and laze target hitting into large damage reduction which will reduce their effectiveness.

And whether you should run 105 accuracy depends entirely on your class/spec. If you run MM sniper or carnage mara you may even want 110% accuracy. If you run concealment, lightning, madness, or AP, you more likely want zero accuracy. If you play something not listed then around 105 is usually optimal but 102.5 should be fine if you're careful with your big white damage attacks (they don't miss on stunned targets).
Great advice! Thank you!

Playing mostly Sentinel, Concentration. (I miss my Combat )

Evolixe
06.29.2020 , 11:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by cflems View Post
white damage attacks (they don't miss on stunned targets).
Miss they do. But in order to miss on a player your accuracy will have to be debuffed below 100% in one way or another.
Players cannot dodge or parry while under the effect of a stun. This is correct.
Evolixe | Exilove
Darth Malgus
Watch me live on Twitch

Xertasian
06.30.2020 , 09:19 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
No. The only thing accuracy does is factor in for the roll between a hit or a miss/resist.

5% accuracy will decrease your chance to miss/get dodged/parried or resisted. But its either all damage or none of it.

And this is also what makes it so crucial. Because a little bit of accuracy can literally mean the difference between doing 30k damage in a GCD or doing 0.
you is about the only few..who actually understand importance of accuracy in PVP..all my toons have 110% (decpttion sin, carnage mara etc.)..missing a 30k damage in a gcd is crucial in some cases..especially in rank where killing people fast is priority..

i had people laugh saying why i have that much accuracy for PVP..i tell them..when target is at 10% hp..i'm on sin..i go for assisinate and it get resisted..then the target run off get healed and come back with help to kill me..because i was running 100% accuracy..
Back streaming again http://twitch.tv/Xertasian

DavidAtkinson
06.30.2020 , 09:33 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Xertasian View Post
you is about the only few..who actually understand importance of accuracy in PVP..all my toons have 110% (decpttion sin, carnage mara etc.)..missing a 30k damage in a gcd is crucial in some cases..especially in rank where killing people fast is priority..

i had people laugh saying why i have that much accuracy for PVP..i tell them..when target is at 10% hp..i'm on sin..i go for assisinate and it get resisted..then the target run off get healed and come back with help to kill me..because i was running 100% accuracy..
Most players have no clue what stats they should be running. They use what anyone else uses.

I've run 110% accuracy a couple of times on my marauder and I noticed that despite 90% of the playerbase saying its trash.. wasted, I melted targets in PVP much waster with 110% than I did with 100% or 105%. I always wondered why, but it seems to be working. With 110% your attacks seem to be having a much bigger effect on the targets, despite players calling you a noob in PVP for it.
Darth Malgus Server
Delusional Marauder Main

septru
06.30.2020 , 11:07 AM | #9
run 170% accuracy and never worry about forcebound again.
-Prum
The only real top 3 operative btw

Evolixe
06.30.2020 , 11:20 AM | #10
If only :/
Evolixe | Exilove
Darth Malgus
Watch me live on Twitch