Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Now you're just being petty. I know you're smart from your comments in other threads; I'm sure you know that's not what I was saying at all.

If we see a lot of gay NPCs here, and then we see no gays in the movies, that's a plot hole. Where did they all go?

I also suggested putting a gay character in the new Star Wars movies, to show they do still exist, as this would help to close that plot hole. Was that hateful of me, too?

If we go solely by the population depicted in the movies, then we have to ask - how can the A-Galaxy-far-far-away's (AGFFA) population be sustainable? There is a serious population imbalance between male characters and female characters.

On the issue of a plot hole - given the supposed 10% of the population being homosexual (the number is a lot harder to pin down, given the stigma attached to being same gender attracted in all societies, even the more tolerant ones), if every single NPC in the game was gay, it would still be possible. (Lets just ignore other factors for the moment, such as the fact that some species might be more or less inclined towards same gender attraction.) The number of people in AGFFA is so mind bogglingly big, I doubt anyone's brain can truly wrap itself around it (maybe if you're some kind of mathematics genius... but still), the number of characters in SWTOR represents a very very tiny (less than 1%*) percentage of the overall population of AGFFA.

Conversely, the reverse is true. It is possible for there to be no gay people among the entire population of SWTOR NPCs, because the 10% could be people who aren't shown in the game.

Neither scenario is terribly "realistic" - but we are talking about game where people run around wielding "magic" and laser swords, and fly in space ships, where "evil" causes physical deformities. I would, personally, like one gay and one lesbian option for every class for a full romance, and a selection of non-companion NPCs to flirt with. I don't think that's too much to ask.

In any event, there's no way we'll end up with more SGRs than OGRs in this game - at best we will have equal numbers (provided they turn all existing OGRs herosexual, which seems very unlikely). It causes no plot hole.

* To put it in perspective, 1% of 1 trillion is 1 billion. Now I doubt there's one billion NPCs in SWTOR. AGFFA is in the multiple trillions of people. (10% is 100 billion, so y'know.)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go solely by the population depicted in the movies, then we have to ask - how can the A-Galaxy-far-far-away's (AGFFA) population be sustainable? There is a serious population imbalance between male characters and female characters.

On the issue of a plot hole - given the supposed 10% of the population being homosexual (the number is a lot harder to pin down, given the stigma attached to being same gender attracted in all societies, even the more tolerant ones), if every single NPC in the game was gay, it would still be possible. (Lets just ignore other factors for the moment, such as the fact that some species might be more or less inclined towards same gender attraction.) The number of people in AGFFA is so mind bogglingly big, I doubt anyone's brain can truly wrap itself around it (maybe if you're some kind of mathematics genius... but still), the number of characters in SWTOR represents a very very tiny (less than 1%*) percentage of the overall population of AGFFA.

Conversely, the reverse is true. It is possible for there to be no gay people among the entire population of SWTOR NPCs, because the 10% could be people who aren't shown in the game.

Neither scenario is terribly "realistic" - but we are talking about game where people run around wielding "magic" and laser swords, and fly in space ships, where "evil" causes physical deformities. I would, personally, like one gay and one lesbian option for every class for a full romance, and a selection of non-companion NPCs to flirt with. I don't think that's too much to ask.

In any event, there's no way we'll end up with more SGRs than OGRs in this game - at best we will have equal numbers (provided they turn all existing OGRs herosexual, which seems very unlikely). It causes no plot hole.

* To put it in perspective, 1% of 1 trillion is 1 billion. Now I doubt there's one billion NPCs in SWTOR. AGFFA is in the multiple trillions of people. (10% is 100 billion, so y'know.)

Well the numbers are off it's more like 3%. Still, when talking trillions of people, that's a huge number!

However, to much to ask for? It just might be. After all, where just now getting ready to obtain a character recustomization option, and even then, it's Cartel Market (by the looks of it).

Would it be to much to ask for the option to have a choice in blaster types and lightsaber types for the classes? Maybe the Agent would rather use a blaster pistol. The Sith Warrior would like to use a double bladed lightsaber.

Out of SGR flirts/companions and weapon customization, which do you think would have more mass appeal?

A new class added in. There's those who want that. Which do you think would have more mass appeal?

New storylines for the classes? Hmmm...the SGR flirts/companions would likely be easy enough to add in over this one.

I think it's pretty obvious (and I admit, could be wrong here) that in the next new planet (no idea when this will come about, mind you) there will be more SGR flirts. Not sure about SGRomances with the next quest givers, but maybe a good bet they're bi to appease everyone, after Makeb had everyone going gaaaaah, even though there were enough "Add SGR to be fair" and it got added and it then became "Not enough!" which is only suprising because it seemed pretty much known it wouldn't be adding any SGR companions.

Not without a heavy dose of space magic and the people who killed him whining that either a) they can't get him as a companion or b) he's dead and seeing him with someone else is "immersion breaking".

Personally I think they can get stuffed. Space Magic FTW.

Or just write a story where it shows he survived!

Or just write a story where it shows he survived!

Aaaand, cue the whining from all the DS people who killed him off. That's the problem - although if you're suggesting something like another SWTOR comic that mentions his survival in passing, it might maybe work, I guess.

Aaaand, cue the whining from all the DS people who killed him off. That's the problem - although if you're suggesting something like another SWTOR comic that mentions his survival in passing, it might maybe work, I guess.

They chose the DS option. He died. You write two new intro scenes. One where he didn't and you meet up, and one where he did and you meet up.

My BH saved the Supreme Chancellor, but if they came in and said "Another BH killed the Supreme Chancellor." I'm not going to go "But I saved him!" :p

and there are likely people who are complaining that they cannot Kill Republic Scientist chick, and that they want to do so...

and there are likely people who are complaining that they cannot Kill Republic Scientist chick, and that they want to do so...

Well of course! I think everyone has NPCs they want to kill, regardless of anything. :p

I know I'd like to beable to kill Skadge (BH companion) and that one Imperial Officer who asked my Chiss to help cover up the murder of another Chiss.

Well of course! I think everyone has NPCs they want to kill, regardless of anything. :p

I know I'd like to beable to kill Skadge (BH companion) and that one Imperial Officer who asked my Chiss to help cover up the murder of another Chiss.

So, did you do it or refuse the quest? :p

Funny thing about that quest is that you only have the option to ask "why should I go against my own people?" if you're an Agent, it never recognizes your species on any other class.

So, did you do it or refuse the quest? :p

Funny thing about that quest is that you only have the option to ask "why should I go against my own people?" if you're an Agent, it never recognizes your species on any other class.

I refused the quest! :D On my Chiss >_> BH was willing to do it.

I refused the quest! :D On my Chiss >_> BH was willing to do it.

I still did it on my Chiss...like I told Aristocra Saganu, I'm a servant of the Empire, not some lost child of the Ascendancy. :cool:

I guess this is going off topic too much.

I honestly don't see the developers turning any non-companion NPC into a companion. I think they're going to be very cautious about adding companions in general because the more companions they add, the more content there is that people will potentially want for those companions, and there are so many as it is. Maybe they made the mistake of giving us so many at the start. I think I would have preferred more, deeper content with fewer companions overall.

We have essentially come to the end of all the content that has been previewed and talked about after the game's launch, other than the elusive secret space project. I wonder what exactly the writers are working on now. :confused: Extreme pessimism: Nothing. Extreme optimism: There's already some content for another Makeb-like DLC being written. It makes me happy to know that Alex Freed said Bioware contracted him to write something for the game, at least I know there's something being written even if it's small. :p

I still did it on my Chiss...like I told Aristocra Saganu, I'm a servant of the Empire, not some lost child of the Ascendancy. :cool:

I guess this is going off topic too much.

I honestly don't see the developers turning any non-companion NPC into a companion. I think they're going to be very cautious about adding companions in general because the more companions they add, the more content there is that people will potentially want for those companions, and there are so many as it is. Maybe they made the mistake of giving us so many at the start. I think I would have preferred more, deeper content with fewer companions overall.

We have essentially come to the end of all the content that has been previewed and talked about after the game's launch, other than the elusive secret space project. I wonder what exactly the writers are working on now. :confused: Extreme pessimism: Nothing. Extreme optimism: There's already some content for another Makeb-like DLC being written. It makes me happy to know that Alex Freed said Bioware contracted him to write something for the game, at least I know there's something being written even if it's small. :p

My Chiss was an Inquisitor. Looking back, I sort of regret going that route with her though, as I don't see Chiss being a good race for the SI storyline. I'll likely change her race in 2.1

As for new companions, I agree. I don't see it happening, but I do hope! Using non-companion NPCs and turning them into Companions helps get the player more invested into the companion, and for BW's part, I think it would get more people interrested in spending money on the option of making them a companion.

Of course, some of us would pay a couple dollars just to get the combat lines of some companions changed. :p

But going back to thread topic, if they did it with the Makeb NPCs, they'd have NPCs people have recently become aware of, possibly some level of attachment, and more willing to purchase, plus it gives the SGR companions option to players. Pay2Gay would likely get thrown about, but so what?

As for new companions, I agree. I don't see it happening, but I do hope! Using non-companion NPCs and turning them into Companions helps get the player more invested into the companion, and for BW's part, I think it would get more people interrested in spending money on the option of making them a companion.

Of course, some of us would pay a couple dollars just to get the combat lines of some companions changed. :p

But going back to thread topic, if they did it with the Makeb NPCs, they'd have NPCs people have recently become aware of, possibly some level of attachment, and more willing to purchase, plus it gives the SGR companions option to players. Pay2Gay would likely get thrown about, but so what?

The name I have seen tossed about for a prospective NPC-turned-companion, that I remember people being enthusiastic about, is Thana Vesh. I'd originally skipped Imperial Taris (because I was so bloody sick of the planet after playing through on a Republic toon), but I went back and did the (admittedly very greyed-out) quest line with my sorcie to see what the buzz was about...and yeah, I'd pony up some cash for the Cartel Coins to acquire her as a companion, SGR or otherwise (of course, my sorceress, in my opinion, has no good romance options at all, so a Thana Vesh SGR would fill the bill quite nicely).

EAWare is sitting on a potential gold mine with some of these NPC-to-companion ideas. Obviously some are impossible, like Darth Lachris, but others would be just perfect. Lerek Serrus (consular storyline, Balmorra) would be a good option, and possibly some off the Twi'leks from Kalikori (that were specifically storyline NPCs). There are multitudes of possibilities for SGR ideas. Sadly, even with EAWare's obsessive focus on the Cartel Market, I'm not holding my breath for this.

Some people did mention a lack of homosexuals in the EU, however there were some. In one of the SW novels there was a pair of gay mandalorians. And it's not like they don't exist, it's not not a plot point in the storytelling. And why it didn't appear much had more to do with Lucas' aesthetics than such a thing just not existing.

Besides, omnisexual figures have existed in myth far longer than people realize. Do you remember Zeus? King of the Olympian Gods? yeah, he nailed everything with a pulse. Men, women, boys, girls, animals. It didn't matter to him. If he could have sex with it, he WOULD have sex with it. It didn't matter to him. Didn't matter much to other gods either. Not when you can pretty much take any form you want to screw with people.

Gods and Dragons, shape shifting sex fiends. Hell, Zeus once became a bucket of water to impregnate a woman. An inanimate object.

But this is vastly off-topic, so let's get back to the matter at hand:

Whining for Mr. Musco to come here and give us information about companion-based SGRA's, whether "gender and faction" distribution will be equal for all sexualities (or if you'll see two bi women on either faction to fulfill the gay quota) and who has the best looking butt.

Colonel Yudrass for butt.

Whining for Mr. Musco to come here and give us information about companion-based SGRA's, whether "gender and faction" distribution will be equal for all sexualities (or if you'll see two bi women on either faction to fulfill the gay quota) and who has the best looking butt.

Colonel Yudrass for butt.

And accent. Could listen to him talk all day. I don't even know what kind of accent it's supposed to be, but... yeah.

Back on topic, somewhat...

Item for discussion: if the next story arc has opportunities for mini-romances like Makeb, which of these options are fair/equitable/acceptable/meh/terrible?

1) One mini-romance per faction (like Makeb)

1a) The single mini-romance is bi/hero-sexual

2) At least 2 mini-romances per faction so that PCs of either gender have an opportunity to engage

2a) The NPCs are bi/hero-sexual so that the PC can take up with the gender of their choice

3) something I'm not thinking of at the moment because it's mid-afternoon on a Monday z_z

I think I may be in the minority that thought (1) was okay, if not immediately equitable, simply because mini-romances are so sparse in the game as-is. If Theoretical New Arc came out with an SGR-able male on the Pub side and a female on the Imp side, hey! the Force is in balance -- just not all at once. Frustrating at the moment for sure, up until it's addressed with new content. Unfortunately, the rate of new content is slower than anyone would like (including BW, I'm sure).

That being said, I wouldn't object to any of the above. It actually puzzled me at first that (2) wasn't the case on Makeb on the Empire side, since there were clearly 2 NPCs in the "lead" role. I don't know if the Republic is set up the same way.

Thoughts? Musings? Rotten vegetables?

And accent. Could listen to him talk all day. I don't even know what kind of accent it's supposed to be, but... yeah.

Back on topic, somewhat...

Item for discussion: if the next story arc has opportunities for mini-romances like Makeb, which of these options are fair/equitable/acceptable/meh/terrible?

1) One mini-romance per faction (like Makeb)

1a) The single mini-romance is bi/hero-sexual

2) At least 2 mini-romances per faction so that PCs of either gender have an opportunity to engage

2a) The NPCs are bi/hero-sexual so that the PC can take up with the gender of their choice

3) something I'm not thinking of at the moment because it's mid-afternoon on a Monday z_z

Thoughts? Musings? Rotten vegetables?

All options suit me just fine, though i'd like to see more actual bisexual characters in the game. What i don't want is mini-romances. I liked Lord Cytharat but three flirt lines and one kiss (while this imperial soldier is watching you) is hardly a romance. I don't even want to romance Lemda now because it means even more frustration. Well, at least i hope you don't have to kiss her in front her uncle.

Some people did mention a lack of homosexuals in the EU, however there were some. In one of the SW novels there was a pair of gay mandalorians. And it's not like they don't exist, it's not not a plot point in the storytelling. And why it didn't appear much had more to do with Lucas' aesthetics than such a thing just not existing.

Besides, omnisexual figures have existed in myth far longer than people realize. Do you remember Zeus? King of the Olympian Gods? yeah, he nailed everything with a pulse. Men, women, boys, girls, animals. It didn't matter to him. If he could have sex with it, he WOULD have sex with it. It didn't matter to him. Didn't matter much to other gods either. Not when you can pretty much take any form you want to screw with people.

They are the only two gay cannon chars.. Well where i should say.

Edited by Iwih

It's not as if George Lucas has said "no gays" in Star Wars, like he has put Yoda's species off limits.

I remember one of the LA taking heat one time. For a Rep saying that there is no such thing as gay in the SW universe :p

I remember one of the LA taking heat one time. For a Rep saying that there is no such thing as gay in the SW universe :p

That was a Bioware guy who tried to say that he'd worded it really badly and that by "no gays" what he really meant was that people in the Star Wars universe didn't have a similar attitude to sexuality like Earth people, so they didn't label each other like that.

I don't think he worked as a Community Representative for long after that.

That was a Bioware guy who tried to say that he'd worded it really badly and that by "no gays" what he really meant was that people in the Star Wars universe didn't have a similar attitude to sexuality like Earth people, so they didn't label each other like that.

The one i remember was before tor. So it wasn't BW if i remember right. But its been a while ago so i might be wrong,

Edited by Iwih

The one i remember was before tor. So it wasn't BW if i redeemer right. But its been a while ago so i might be wrong,

Never heard of that one, but George Luacs is fairly up for gay equality (mentioned in Natashina's SGRA FAQ).

Yeah, he said something like "gay" doesn't exist in Star Wars, meaning, calling people "gay". There was an apology and clarification afterwards and possibly a firing, I think. That's the only thing that I recall, I think some people over time have falsely attributed that to something said by Lucas or LucasArts. I've searched to see if I could find anything else being said before and found nothing.

Yeah, he said something like "gay" doesn't exist in Star Wars, meaning, calling people "gay". There was an apology and clarification afterwards and possibly a firing, I think. That's the only thing that I recall, I think some people over time have falsely attributed that to something said by Lucas or LucasArts. I've searched to see if I could find anything else being said before and found nothing.

After thinking about it. I think the thing i read was on a forum around the time the Two said Mandalorioans where first revealed. So it was probably just hear say

Edited by Iwih

That's what I meant, but I wasn't around when the fracas happened and everything after that has been mostly "he said, she said" because of the forum purge.

Would've just been easier to say "Homosexual, not gay" (because the term 'lesbian' wouldn't exist, that's for sure.)

Edit: PROOF that because Jedi hold office on Earth, there therefore must be gay people in A Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Edited by Tatile