Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone ever PUG Operations?

Dustile
02.22.2015 , 12:11 AM | #1
I can never find a group for Operations. It's like I'm the only one looking to PUG. SM queue? forget it. I've waited 4 hours and never got a pop. No one is ever looking for groups in general chat either? I'm on Harbinger. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. It's so frustrating! I hit 60 and now I have nothing to do cause I can't PUG Operations. =( Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm already a Tank =P. Yeah, I wait 4 hours as a Tank and don't get a pop. I don't know what to do, but if i can't figure it out I'll have to play something else but I love SWTOR!
If you were a hot dog... Would you eat yourself?

iusCogens
02.22.2015 , 12:24 AM | #2
Are you in Imp side or Pub side? I'm most active around night time APAC time and fleet is alive with people pugging for ops. (Word of advice, 16m GF is a waste of time and money. It very rarely succeeds.) You can always start a new one yourself. Alternatively, joining a guild that does raids regularly helps as well.

Don't jump into Ravagers and ToS right away if you've never done operations before. Make sure you're first geared and augmented, do DF/DP SM to practice raid awareness (important for tanks!) and clear at least four of HMFP to give you a taste of what to expect in Ravagers and ToS. Read guides and watch Youtube videos from tank perspective too. If you've done all of that, nothing is stopping you from starting your own pug group.

Joran-Koon
02.22.2015 , 01:02 AM | #3
Join a raiding guild, it's your best way into ops especially at a beginner level.
Kalizo
Failure
Twitch

power-alex
02.22.2015 , 01:12 AM | #4
Joining a guild and finding raid group doesn't happen overnight.
Let me tell you how it happened to me. I was on my first toon, sage heals, and I met a tank in a fp (it was around 2.6), he must've thought I had some skill (because my gear was a total crap, I stacked on critical, most of it was basic or below, no augments), we started talking after a fp, he gave me gearing tips, we discussed my rotations and then he asked whether I was interested in joining their guild. I was in a dead guild atm (accepted a random invite on origin planet), so I accepted his offer. The guild consisted of a very nice bunch of people. They helped me gear up, and took me on raids with them, explained all the mechanics and carried me through. So they gave me my big break in the game.

I realize that this is a unique story. But here's how you can do it by yourself (how I did on the imp side). I leveled a few toons and I was doing flashpoints and pvping and whenever I met people with skill I would start talking to them and ask whether their guild needed people, would they like to recruit me. Several turned me down. Several guilds turned out to be dead guilds. Until I finally got in a big active guild. I actually impressed one of the members in pvp, asked about recruitment and they directed me to guild master, who invited me. Inside the guild at first I was just asking for groups for flashpoints and pvp and sometimes joined their ops runs when they needed someone to fill in, thus making acquaintances and growing my connections. Until finally several month later I became a part of a permanent progression raid group.

So my answer to you - this is a social game and although pugging is kinda a part of it, making friends and raiding with friends is a lot more productive and enjoyable though takes more time to get there.
Also before asking to join a guild it is helpful if you learn you class first and gear up and augment your gear. This just shows that you can pull your weight and can actually be helpful and not a burden, which increases your chances of being accepted.

All the best to you and I hope you clear Ravagers and ToS soon!

PS: As for the ops group finder: it is a way for pre-made groups to get extra reward and avoid travelling to the ops entrance. Don't even waste your time queuing for ops.

wainot-keel
02.22.2015 , 08:24 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by iusCogens View Post
Are you in Imp side or Pub side? I'm most active around night time APAC time and fleet is alive with people pugging for ops. (Word of advice, 16m GF is a waste of time and money. It very rarely succeeds.) You can always start a new one yourself. Alternatively, joining a guild that does raids regularly helps as well.

Don't jump into Ravagers and ToS right away if you've never done operations before. Make sure you're first geared and augmented, do DF/DP SM to practice raid awareness (important for tanks!) and clear at least four of HMFP to give you a taste of what to expect in Ravagers and ToS. Read guides and watch Youtube videos from tank perspective too. If you've done all of that, nothing is stopping you from starting your own pug group.
For these new ops ? There's a lot to stop you from starting your own group. These instances are totally anti-pug. Is it possible ? Pretty sure it is, but pugging these should be last resort.
At most, as "pug" goes, what I see is someone asking to fill their last 1 or 2 spots, requiring voice chat and, very often, a link to the achievement to prove you've already done them before.

Like it's been said, join a raiding guild. For these new ops, there isnt much place to casually play with others, only with your guildies.

iusCogens
02.22.2015 , 09:01 AM | #6
True, I might have been too hasty on that. In my experience, Ravagers is more pug-able than ToS, but it really depends on the group you get. What I usually do is grouping together with two, three friends (filling tank and healer roles preferably) and pug the rest of the DPS.

power-alex brought up a good point; get into FPs and Warzones, play your class well, and talk to people. It's likely to grant you a spot in progression team, which is more reliable than pugging.

AlrikFassbauer
02.22.2015 , 01:45 PM | #7
The problem is, that the advice "join a guild and your problem is solved" removes even more players from "the PUG scene", making it completely non-existent in the end.

Is this what people want ? No more PUGs ?

It's a bit like saying "you've got troubles as an Republic player in PvP ? Roll Imp instead !" , this creating an MASSIVE inbalance towards Empire in PvP ...
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

Merlinmagus
02.22.2015 , 01:50 PM | #8
The way we do:
We are a small guild with not enough people to make a 16 group but we are in contact with another small guild which is like the same as us. We are coordinated and it's very enjoyable. We only had to split in Underlurker/Torque but we finish last bosses with 16 man.

wainot-keel
02.22.2015 , 04:28 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
The problem is, that the advice "join a guild and your problem is solved" removes even more players from "the PUG scene", making it completely non-existent in the end.

Is this what people want ? No more PUGs ?
That's not what I want. But realistically, these new ops, the story modes, are not pug material. What was the reasoning, on BW's side, to make them virtually unpuggable I don't know (and that would be a good question), but that's what it is. If you want to run them with good chances of clearing them, then do it with a guild.

Pugs are currently almost non-existant not because here on forums some of us suggest "join a guild", but because the instances are far beyond what the average pug can handle.

Kyovarde
02.22.2015 , 08:19 PM | #10
I pug Ravagers at least 2-3x per week and ToS once. Who are these people saying that these OPs are not puggable or that they are overly difficult? Are you really that terrible at this game?