can swtor run on this

lordmattmm

hi i was wondering if swtor could run on low med graphics with a hp envy h8-1414

possessor AMD FX-6120 3.5ghz

video card will be AMD Radeon HD 7450

10gb of memory

1tb hard drive- i know this has nothing to do with it lol

motherboard M3970AM-HP (Angelica2)

300w power supply

You should be okay to run it. The big things to make sure you have for this game is RAM and Processor, since the memory issues with the game make RAM very important. Processor helps with the graphics, since your video card isn't all that great. You'd probably be best running at medium-low settings on an average-sized resolution. Probably 1024x768/700 (depending on widescreen vs. standard monitor). I ran the game on fairly high settings with less, but a better video card before I got the system I have now.

You should be okay to run it. The big things to make sure you have for this game is RAM and Processor, since the memory issues with the game make RAM very important. Processor helps with the graphics, since your video card isn't all that great. You'd probably be best running at medium-low settings on an average-sized resolution. Probably 1024x768/700 (depending on widescreen vs. standard monitor). I ran the game on fairly high settings with less, but a better video card before I got the system I have now.

He's got 10 gbs of ram, that's plenty. Going to look up the rest though. I can run this game for 13 hours with 8 gbs of ram before it crashes from lack of ram.

Everything is fine but that graphics card. If you're looking to buy that PC you could do better with your 650$ on newegg or somewhere else I'm forgetting the name of right now.

Power Supply is extremely weak as well which doesn't leave much room for upgrading the GPU without upgrading the PSU as well.

Edited by ckoneful

He's got 10 gbs of ram, that's plenty. Going to look up the rest though. I can run this game for 13 hours with 8 gbs of ram before it crashes from lack of ram.

Everything is fine but that graphics card. If you're looking to buy that PC you could do better with your 650$ on newegg or somewhere else I'm forgetting the name of right now.

Power Supply is extremely weak as well which doesn't leave much room for upgrading the GPU without upgrading the PSU as well.

The video card came up with a few laptop hits, so I'm not sure its a laptop or a desktop model, so I didn't suggest upgrades. But I agree. PSU and video card would be the weak link here and are asking for an upgrade. Anything more than about 6gb of RAM will keep the game from crashing too often. I had a computer with 4gb and it kept crashing out every couple hours, presumably from the memory leak issues in SWTOR.

The amount of RAM is irrelevant, why does windows have a pagefile ?

There maybe issues with userspace settings though.

The really simplified answer is that the kernel runs in kernel space, and normal programs run in user space. User space is basically a form of sand-boxing -- it restricts user programs so they can't mess with memory (and other resources) owned by other programs or by the OS kernel. This limits (but usually doesn't entirely eliminate) their ability to do bad things like crashing the machine.

The amount of RAM is irrelevant, why does windows have a pagefile ?

There maybe issues with userspace settings though.

The really simplified answer is that the kernel runs in kernel space, and normal programs run in user space. User space is basically a form of sand-boxing -- it restricts user programs so they can't mess with memory (and other resources) owned by other programs or by the OS kernel. This limits (but usually doesn't entirely eliminate) their ability to do bad things like crashing the machine.

Well, I also had a 2gb pagefile but it didn't seem to make a difference regarding crashes. I think the game tends to fill up the RAM before resorting to pagefile usage or something. *shrug*

I base my observations regarding RAM and crashing based on a number of friends with different RAM sizes and I see that crashes happen more frequently with those running less RAM. I run 16gb on my rig and I've CTD'd once on the first day I used the computer to play SWTOR and never again. But as you said, there's a few more factors involved but you can play the game of hardware vs software with this game. Better hardware usually makes a bigger difference than changing the software environment for this game from what I see.

Edited by Chylla

• 7 months later...
I got this HP Envy h8-1414 several months ago, Do any of you have a specific suggestions for a graphics card? And, What was that about the power supply?

The power supply is what provides your computer with DC from the home's AC line.

The more power intensive parts you have, the better power supply you need. 300w won't cut it for most builds of today.

Also, this thread is kinda old, you should've just made a new one instead of necro'ing an old topic.

Edited by Glumish

I am able to run SWTOR on a pretty dinky mobile setup running a 256MB nvidia mobile card (Don't have the laptop in front of me and I don't use it for gaming purposes enough to rattle off the full specs, unfortunately). It does run hot and I have to have the graphics on basically the lowest settings possible, but it does run well enough that I can level/do dailies/do FPs. Ops and WZs are basically off limits due to the low framerates I get in them but it does the job well enough considering the strain I put it through (I once made it run The Secret World, just to see if it would do it. Spoiler alert: It did, just veeeeery poorly haha)

On my desktop I have an aging but capable GTX460 and an also aging but capable i5 Lynnfield that I can still run pretty much everything on, including SWTOR highest settings except for shadows and bloom . I'll probably be looking to replace, well, pretty much everything at some point, but I'll probably have to get a new mobo >_<

Edited by Arenatah