How did Luke become a Jedi?

Was browising the thread about Leia, and the plot hole about her knowing her mother, when someone else brought this up and I have to say its always bothered me.

So, at the end of TESB, Luke leaves Yoda with the little green guy telling him his training isn't complete. And he's got a point - Luke's only been there for a few months, I suppose (and I'm being generous with that, it could be days. Hard to tell from the way it's edited) and he's clearly not.

Then in ROTJ he turns up and he's suddenly a Jedi. He's got robes, the mind trick and the supernatural calm. Contrast that with his final appearance in TESB - still an impulsive farmboy, pretty good with a sabre but no force-master.

Now, I know a fair bit of time elapses between the end of TESB and the start of ROTJ - maybe about six months to a year (to give Lando time to infiltrate Jabba's guard and for the whole 'rescue Han' plan to be set in motion). But is that long enough for Luke to graduate, as it were?

Yes...again like Anakin, Luke had a ridiculous learning curve to become a full fledged Jedi Knight. The only thing he had left to do, to become a Jedi Knight was confront Vader...and he did. I can provide evidence of Luke being powerful in the movie timeframe, if you'd like. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Did a double-take there, all I did was look at the avatars and I though Wolf was having a conversation with himself. :p

But what Wolf says is correct, we should also remember that Luke picked up Vader's fighting style by dueling him. Approximately a year passed between the end of ESB and the beginning of ROTJ which is more than enough time for Luke to learn the basics and tap into his immense power.

That said, he was not exactly abundant with skill. He knew how to perform basic feats of telekinesis and was skilled in the use of the lightsaber, yet skilled required the dark side to overcome his father. That said he still was greatly skilled, however again Luke very much learned on the fly by mimicking Vader's style in the midst of battle.

Despite this it was a long time after before Luke reached his full potential.

Yes...again like Anakin, Luke had a ridiculous learning curve to become a full fledged Jedi Knight. The only thing he had left to do, to become a Jedi Knight was confront Vader...and he did. I can provide evidence of Luke being powerful in the movie timeframe, if you'd like.

No, no,no ... you misundertsand me. I get that he's powerful. It's more - where did he learn the mannerisms of the Jedi (robes, mind trick .... eerie confidence tc)>

No, no,no ... you misundertsand me. I get that he's powerful. It's more - where did he learn the mannerisms of the Jedi (robes, mind trick .... eerie confidence tc)>

His training indeed was more then a couple of days with Yoda(source says a month), though he also taught himself and also getting stuff from Obi-Wan's journals, a holocron Obi-Wan had, and so forth afterwards before ROTJ.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Oh I see what your saying now. Its possible he learned that kind of stuff from Obi-Wan's journal... I'm sure he also learned much of the Jedi teachings from Yoda as well and as he grew more mature (his fight with Vader likely added to that) came to understand these teachings more deeply.

He spent a considerably deal of time in conclusion in which he likely communed with the Force and all that jazz, its even possible that the Force ghost of Kenobi imparted some knowledge to him.

But I think in general the movie was trying to show that Luke had matured and grown in confidence from that farmboy on Tatooine, through becoming a Jedi and learning their teachings.

I beleive he came across some records from multiple sources in the gap between TESB and ROTJ, plus as someone said he read Ben's journals, this was enough for him to begin to experiment a bit, and the combination was just enough for him to reach the level in ROTJ.

I beleive the Holocron was after ROTJ though, when the Emperor returned, since Leia essentially stole it from Emperor Palpatine (who of course stole it from the Jedi)

You guys seem to be overlooking the little thing called The Force. I think meditating on and feeling The Force is what caused the big changes in Lukes demeanor. As he became more in tune with the Force he became more "Awake" to the Universe and learned and experienced things that no mortal teacher could really teach him. Remember by Rotj he had been in contact with the Force for several years and was seeing and experiencing things that no other non force sensitive being ever would. I imagine that changes you in pretty significant ways.

Was browising the thread about Leia, and the plot hole about her knowing her mother, when someone else brought this up and I have to say its always bothered me.

So, at the end of TESB, Luke leaves Yoda with the little green guy telling him his training isn't complete. And he's got a point - Luke's only been there for a few months, I suppose (and I'm being generous with that, it could be days. Hard to tell from the way it's edited) and he's clearly not.

Then in ROTJ he turns up and he's suddenly a Jedi. He's got robes, the mind trick and the supernatural calm. Contrast that with his final appearance in TESB - still an impulsive farmboy, pretty good with a sabre but no force-master.

Now, I know a fair bit of time elapses between the end of TESB and the start of ROTJ - maybe about six months to a year (to give Lando time to infiltrate Jabba's guard and for the whole 'rescue Han' plan to be set in motion). But is that long enough for Luke to graduate, as it were?

Read the book "Shadows of the Empire". He spent a year helping to track down Han Solo. Spent a lot of time on Tatooine studying Obi-wan's journals, learned about the force, even learned how to create a new lightsaber, you know the one you see in ROTJ.

He's done enough and basically done most of what a padawan does, his final trail, defeating Vader, which he does, so yes he is a Knight.

Yoda: No more training do you require. Already know you, that which you need.

Luke: Then I am a Jedi.

Yoda: No. Not yet. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will.

Luke wasn't a jedi at the beginning on Return. He had to go through his trials. For him, his trials amounted to one thing: defeat Darth Vader. He succeeded and only then was an actual jedi.

And yes, I do mean that he defeated Vader ... from a certain point of view. When Luke was able to reach through and connect with Anakin Skywalker--that was the point where Vader was defeated and Anakin redeemed.

... a certain point of view ?

Agree, I do.

The holocrons later allowed Luke to take notice of what was possible. Then he just did it.

Robot Chicken: A Certain Point of View

Screwed with, Luke was.