Some Quick Space Info for PvP types

Wainamoinen

I was on the closed PTS beta for this, from the second weekend.

Galactic Starfighter is PvP, so I reckon us PvP crowd may be interested. Here's some stuffs:

Your Ship

There are three ship classes (Scout, Strike Fighter, Gunship) going live, and on CPTS the Scout and Strike Fighter each had two variants. Imps and Reps had their own models, but the same hardware.

Scout is a speedy and manoeuvrable interceptor, Strike Fighter is a bit tougher and harder-hitting, Gunship is a space sniper that nukes from long distance.

There was also a Bomber (actually more of a minelayer) on CPTS that was a cool utility ship (could drop mines, weapons platforms, repair drones, respawn nodes) but this has been held back – possibly for tuning as it was regarded as potentially overpowered, possibly to provide for all equally once F2Pers get access in Feb.

You earn Fleet Requisitions and Ship Requisitions in combat. Fleet Reqs let you buy ships or improve ships you own, Ship Reqs can only improve ships you own. They were trying out the option of converting Ship <> Fleet Reqs for a CC conversion cost: this risks being seen as pay to win. In practice, it would let you buy new ship versions quicker, so not overwhelming - you couldn't upgrade them any quicker and the ship versions are meant to be balanced. I'm still not great with it, but can live with it. People can pay money to get new basic shipframes quicker.

You can customise your ships a lot. You have stock Primary Weapons, Secondary Weapons, Engines, Shields, and a load of other component classes. These can be upgraded through a short talent-tree style route, and you can also buy different options in each slot (e.g. Rapid-Fire Lasers, Heavy Lasers, Light Lasers, Quad-Fire Lasers in primary weapon slot). There are also missile types, and gunships get railguns.

There are also cosmetic customisations, these can unlock with CM stuff.

You have crew, either stock characters or your unlocked companions, who each bring abilities and benefits. One is designated as co-pilot for an on-use ability, and gives you some voice colour/advice during combat.

Controls

Controls are mouse and keyboard. There was a lot of begging for joystick option, but BW haven’t enabled that. I can understand why: if a joystick gave you an edge, then those without (a majority and those starting) would be at a disadvantage without shelling out real money for hardware on this game alone.

I have a bit of an issue with the controls but not an insurmountable one. It’s a compromise arrangement. Mouse controls both ship direction (pitch on vertical axis and yaw on left/right) and targeting (there is a reticule ahead of your target that marks where you have to shoot to hit it, or hold over target to establish missile lock). LMouse and RMouse fire Primary / Secondary weapons.

On Keyboard you have roll; speed up/down; and spacebar for speed boost. You also get four number buttons for special abilities; F1-F4 for power control to weapons / shields / engines / balance; and targeting options (tab through, closest target, target under reticule, target firing upon you). You can remap commands.

Other stuff

You can play on an equal footing from level 1 (at least on CPTS, maybe they’ll up this to level 10, dunno, I would). Character level doesn’t affect ship power (beyond companion optioins maybe).

There is only one game type (Domination – node capture by hanging around near them) and two maps (Lost Shipyard – asteroid field with destroyed structures; Kuat Mesa – think Makeb with stone towers and some structures). The fact they call Domination a game type suggests they are thinking about others, but didn’t see any on CPTS.

The difference between people who had gained experience and those who were entering without upgrades was noticeable on CPTS. I don’t want to stereotype, but there were some complaints form people I assumed were PvE types about getting instantly vapourised before they could do anything. My reaction to which is: it’s PvP not RPG. You learn, upgrade, improve as quick as you can. You don’t peer at your buttons and contemplate which one your character would choose when someone has you targeted.

The CPTS times were brutal for euros – 1am to 5am for me in UK – so a fair number of people with invites from over here didn’t take them up. But they were at least at weekends.

Before the beta began I was so hacked off with the treatment of DPS scoundrel that I’d unsubbed, and only got the beta invite when I had 2 days left to play on SWTOR. I was intrigued (and flattered) enough to resub for a couple of months to see how GS looked.

I'm a bit concerned about it cannibalising numbers from ground PvP. Hopefully it's cool enough to bring in people who wouldn't PvP at all otherwise, we'll see in practice.

Bottom Line

Galactic Starfighter has some issues, and won’t be to everyone’s taste (what is?), but flying around in 12 v 12 Star Wars space combat blowing Imps out of the sky was great fun and kept me wanting to go back and do it again each night. I’d say give it a try and see what you think.

Guss Tuno as co-pilot: “I don’t want to explode!”.

Edited by Wainamoinen

i bow to you for that mate.

Thanks ever so much taking the time to put such great info alot of us were very eagor to hear.

Really cant wait for this.

I think initially ground pvp will suffer for 1st few weeks just like when arenas came in it was slow popping time for normal queue everyone was group or solo ranked queue.

roll on 3rd dec.

one thing, was there any sign if repetation would play a part in upgrades?

and was there any sign they would be adding achievemenbts in pvp section for this?

Thank you for an in-depth review, but this has still not really peeked my interest. Will try it of course.

Well, not that in-depth - Dulfy has done a longer one over here . I got to blow her up a couple of times, which was fun, but she was doing much more destroying than being destroyed.

Giving it a try even if you're sceptical is the right idea. I was a bit surprised by the lack of names I recognised from PvP forum on there, given that it really is a new way to PvP, which is why I thought a PvPer perspective here might be useful.

Thanks

np

I think initially ground pvp will suffer for 1st few weeks just like when arenas came in it was slow popping time for normal queue everyone was group or solo ranked queue.

I suspect you're right. Will see how things balance out medium to longer term.

I do think it's a bit of a mistake to divide the game's population into PvP / PvE and never the twain shall meet. People can try and play both, and if they enjoy it then more people are drawn in. Anyone who says they won't even try GS because they know they won't like it is a bit like a kid who refuses to ever touch ice cream because they know it's cold and slimy.

Sure, maybe you won't enjoy swooping around and gunning down Imperial Dogs / Repubic Scum who can actually fight back. I do. And you won't know if you're missing something you'd like unless you try it.

one thing, was there any sign if repetation would play a part in upgrades?

and was there any sign they would be adding achievemenbts in pvp section for this?

Reputation - didn't have any on CPTS. Upgrades were just off your earned reqs (the GS comms). Also daily/weekly missions that earn reqs.

Achievements - lots.

Edited by Wainamoinen

So my Saitek X52 Pro cannot be used ? *facepalm*. Sorry but people buy products all the time to gain an advantage, I fail to see why BioWare would not allow this to 'even the field'.

Yeah, like I said, joystick not specificially supported.

You can remap buttons though, so that's an option with a reporgrammable joystick.

However, with the targetting being mobile as well as movement, I really don't think a joystick will cut it. You'd need a fixed crosshairs for a joystick, and if you did THAT, then you'd lose in a dogfight against a foe who could move his targetting (imagine your're both looping each other - his guns track that fraction ahead of yours = you lose). Maybe a mapped two-stick controller would work.

I can understand people wanting a joystick, and I posted a thread on the CPTS forum stating issues I had with the controls, but at the same time after I thought about it for a bit I can understand reasons Bioware decided to go the way they have. They want to make it as accessible as possible.

Oh, something else I was tempted to keep to myself, but think it's only fair to share: one of the devs on the CPTS forum stated that pitch was more effective than yaw to turn. So you will turn quicker if you roll and pitch than if you simply yaw sideways. I didn't test it, but I can believe it.

Edited by Wainamoinen

Galactic Starfighter has some issues, and won’t be to everyone’s taste (what is?), but flying around in 12 v 12 Star Wars space combat blowing Imps out of the sky was great fun and kept me wanting to go back and do it again each night. I’d say give it a try and see what you think. .

I think 12v12 is going to be really interesting--it'll be even better if you can group 12. Then you could really do things like guild v. guild.

Question: what are the physics like? Similar to the current space combat missions? True to the laws of momentum?

"Stay on target! Stay on target!"

I think 12v12 is going to be really interesting--it'll be even better if you can group 12. Then you could really do things like guild v. guild.

Squadrons in comm contact could be awesome. I believe it's at least starting solo-queued though.

Question: what are the physics like? Similar to the current space combat missions? True to the laws of momentum?

Physics aren't realistic but they work, I'd say.

Example: you can't keep accelerating to a ridiculous speed (go to plaid!) that takes you the same period of maximum deceleratoin to stop. You do have a top speed, and this varies from ship to ship (and can be boosted with upgrades). As can your turn speed, etc. You also have boosters that draw from a finite, regenerating, engine energy reserve (you can boost this through power management or abilities). If you want to turn tighter, you'd better slow down.

Scouts might seem like eggshells, and they do die quicker, but they can be a right pain in the arse for a lumbering bigger ship to lock on or chase down. Close range, they can run rings, probably better advised to blast them from distance. But then they can whizz up to you.

There are some abilities (Kologarn turn?) that would probably leave you a vivid pink smear inside your craft if they were physics-realistic. So long as you aren't too unbalanced by a lack of deep-space physics reality, it feels fine. There's no gravity, but a top speed implies resisitance. So imagine you're flying around in a gas bubble rather than friction-free open space, if you want a mental feel for it.

One effect is that you need to learn to orient yourself without having a pull to tell you which way is "down".

thanks for the feed back.

another thing they said there would be rewards for your ground fighters, did you see any of this?

Also what was the grind like to open a new ship up?

one last thing, was this legacy wide or each char needs to unlock all ships etc?

Sorry for all the questions just buzzing :)

really cant wait, i really hope some that dont do pvp try this, like OP said to not try is stupid, im a pvper but ive tried some raids, if anything in my guild is anything to go by similar to other guilds i think this will be a very used part of the game, theres loads in my guild that dont join me normally for pvp but are hyped about this space pvp.

Squadrons in comm contact could be awesome. I believe it's at least starting solo-queued though.

Physics aren't realistic but they work, I'd say.

Example: you can't keep accelerating to a ridiculous speed (go to plaid!) that takes you the same period of maximum deceleratoin to stop. You do have a top speed, and this varies from ship to ship (and can be boosted with upgrades). As can your turn speed, etc. You also have boosters that draw from a finite, regenerating, engine energy reserve (you can boost this through power management or abilities). If you want to turn tighter, you'd better slow down.

Scouts might seem like eggshells, and they do die quicker, but they can be a right pain in the arse for a lumbering bigger ship to lock on or chase down. Close range, they can run rings, probably better advised to blast them from distance. But then they can whizz up to you.

There are some abilities (Kologarn turn?) that would probably leave you a vivid pink smear inside your craft if they were physics-realistic. So long as you aren't too unbalanced by a lack of deep-space physics reality, it feels fine. There's no gravity, but a top speed implies resisitance. So imagine you're flying around in a gas bubble rather than friction-free open space, if you want a mental feel for it.

One effect is that you need to learn to orient yourself without having a pull to tell you which way is "down".

The enemy gate is down :cool:

So my Saitek X52 Pro cannot be used ? *facepalm*. Sorry but people buy products all the time to gain an advantage, I fail to see why BioWare would not allow this to 'even the field'.

Yeah, we demand better treatment! I can't use this joystick either :mad: EVEN THE FIELD!!!! Without my joystick, I'll be at a disadvantage to those controller kids who have buttons and triggers and d-pads all over the place.

[Dulfy] ...was doing much more destroying than being destroyed.

She was a monster in there. Go Dulfy!

Good review, thanks for that. First time I have tried a flight pvp game and I got my butt served to me in every dish imaginable. It was fun though, I think it will be well received for the most part.

h, something else I was tempted to keep to myself, but think it's only fair to share: one of the devs on the CPTS forum stated that pitch was more effective than yaw to turn. So you will turn quicker if you roll and pitch than if you simply yaw sideways. I didn't test it, but I can believe it.

I did test it and they are 100% correct. Even the bomber could turn tight this way. (Using yaw it was really a pig to try to maneuver.)

1) another thing they said there would be rewards for your ground fighters, did you see any of this?

2) Also what was the grind like to open a new ship up?

3) one last thing, was this legacy wide or each char needs to unlock all ships etc?

4) Sorry for all the questions just buzzing :)

1) Not that I saw, but it was mainly testing stuff worked, they introduced new ships or something each weekend.

2) Entirely depends on how quickly you earn Fleet reqs, which depends on the rate BW decide to set them at (they varied it in the test). Given the CC cost to convert from common Ship Requisitions to rare Fleet Requisitions, I imagine that if you want to buy a new model anytime soon you'll have to pay some conversion cost in CC. My totally numbers out of my behind guess: 5k to 10k Fleet Reqs; you earn circa 50 Fleet Reqs and 1000 Ship Reqs per battle; 1CC to convert 25 comms at 1-1 rate. Means you could take 100 battles to earn a 5k model from earned Fleet Reqs, or 5 battles and 200 CC to earn 5k Ship Reqs and convert them into Fleet Reqs. Depends on the cost and various rates (costs, rate of earning, CC cost to convert, conversion rate) that BW decide on for Live.

Like I said, the ship models aren't upgrades that you buy, just options, sidegrades. But you can have up to five ships set up in your "loadout" - effectively a stable you choose from - and you can select any of them in battle at the start or when you respawn. So having more options gives you more options and greater versatility in play.

3) Legacy wide? No. For one, the ships are faction specific (if ability-mirrors) so your Imps can't fly Rep ships. I started an Imp char on PTS just to check it out, and could fly from level 1, but only the basic Imp ships despite the fact I had all options and completely maxed a couple of models on Rep. Maybe you could use the same ships on another character of the same faction (didn't check, d'oh), but I strongly suspect that it isn't the case. Expect ships and all their upgrades to be char-specific.

4) I have no problems answering questions, nice ego-massage and to be able to talk about it now the NDA's down. It's just my opinions and experience though, and not Bioware official.

Edited by Wainamoinen

thanks for the feed back.

another thing they said there would be rewards for your ground fighters, did you see any of this?

You get credits and experience doing GS, so the rewards would be money and XP. I used a 1st level commando for part of the testing and got him to 12th level and onto Coruscant doing just GS space missions and his basic class missions. I only did the Heoric I had to go through too pick up a datacron, no FPs and no side missions.

Also what was the grind like to open a new ship up?

It will be relatively slow unless you want to spend cartel coins. If it's like testing you start with a strike fighter and a scout. The strike fighter takes more damage and the scout goes faster. I found I liked the strike fighter better when I started but preferred the scout after I got the hang of flying and evading. (Not that I'm good at it, but at least I don't blast into every obstacle when evading in the scout, now. :) ) At 2500 reqs for a new ship (either a different Scout or Strike Fighter or to add a gunship, it's going to take a while. If it's more then 2500 it'll take longer. (At about 50 fleet reqs per match, you're looking at 50 matches. I don't know what weeklies will give.)

one last thing, was this legacy wide or each char needs to unlock all ships etc?

Unlocks are character, not legacy.