The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 16: Exar Kun vs. Darth Krayt

Aurbere

Welcome to the final match of Round 1! Several battles of epic proportions have been waged between incredibly powerful Force users. But now we have reached the final match of the First Round, and it shall prove to be the greatest battle of them all. What will happen when Darth Krayt meets Exar Kun in battle? We can only find out when these two Sith Lords face off in The BattleZone!

Battlefield: Iron Citadel of Cinnagar

Lightsaber Skill:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun was truly unique in his day. His skill in lightsaber combat was unrivaled. He had developed a mastery of Niman, taking the form to its highest levels by throwing out the form’s tendency for moderation. Through his mastery of Niman, Exar Kun achieved a high degree of mastery in Forms I-V.

Over time, Exar Kun expanded his mastery to Juyo and Ataru, essentially mastering all forms of lightsaber combat. In his prime, his form was built around speed and unpredictability.

His lightsaber was unique as well. It bore the designs of a standard single-bladed weapon, but it was actually of double-bladed lightsaber. Exar Kun wielded this lightsaber with one hand, and used the weapon’s special functionalities to increase and decrease the length of the blade as he pleased, further increasing his unpredictability.

Darth Krayt:

Darth Krayt was a master of Jar’Kai dual blade combat, and the sixth form of Jedi lightsaber combat, Niman. He was also a master of Juyo and Ataru. His masterful skill with using two weapons did not detract from his skill with a single blade as he showed equal proficiency in both.

Darth Krayt was brutally efficient in his form. He had fully mastered his rage, using it to enhance his abilities in the Force and lightsaber combat.

After reaching his prime, Darth Krayt was capable of fairly easily defeating Cade Skywalker in lightsaber combat. He also defeated Darth Wyyrlok in a lightsaber duel.

Edge: It is difficult to give the edge here as they have very similar levels of skill. However, Exar Kun has a very unique double-bladed lightsaber that allows for incredible unpredictability. So Exar Kun's unique weapon and sheer mastery of Niman give him the edge.

Physicality:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun is a young human male in his prime, but other than that, he has no real exceptional physical attributes.

Darth Krayt:

Darth Krayt has spent decades overcoming the physical weaknesses that were forced on him. After his final rebirth, these physical weaknesses were removed utterly.

Edge: They are both your average human, so neither of them get the edge.

Mentality:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun was considered to be arrogant, but he never gave in to arrogance, and was generally capable of great tactical insight and planning, as well as manipulation.

Exar Kun was also a capable user of Dun Moch, the Sith tactic of psychological warfare.

Darth Krayt:

Darth Krayt was not the normal Sith Lord. He was focused on rebirthing the Sith and working towards creating a better Sith Empire, one bereft of the constant pursuit of power. However, the fear of death clawed at his mind, and his fear drove him to find a way to save himself from it.

Eventually, though, he no longer feared death and viewed it as a means of rebirth. He sought the rebirth of the galaxy through death.

Darth Krayt had also made peace with his past. After Darth Wyyrlok tried to use Sith Sorcery on him, Darth Krayt cast aside Wyyrlok’s attack and cut him down.

Edge: Both of them are capable of great tactical insight and a willingness to do what it takes to achieve their own goals. Darth Krayt’s strength of will also makes it unlikely that Exar Kun would be able to use Dun Moch effectively against him. They are effectively even in this area.

Force Abilities:

Exar Kun:

Exar Kun’s rise to power was a product of him wearing Sith artifacts, but these eventually lost their significance, and Kun only wore them as a means of intimidation.

Exar Kun fully mastered the esoteric powers of the dark side. He was a master of Sith Sorcery and Sith Magic, using these skills to create deadly Sith War Beasts and powerful rituals. He could even induce complete paralysis of large crowds of people through Sith Sorcery. Exar Kun’s mastery of the dark side was evident in his ability to unleash blasts of pure dark side energy to completely annihilate his foes. These blasts were incredibly lethal and could only be defended against by those with intimate knowledge of Sith Sorcery.

Exar Kun was also capable of Force Flight, an ability he used in conjunction with his usage of Ataru.

His Force Senses were also incredibly powerful. He used his Force Sense to track down Ulic Qel-Droma from across the galaxy.

Darth Krayt:

Darth Krayt was a very powerful Sith Lord. He continued to grow in power over decades of living. His strength in the dark side was such that his power could be felt by every Sith in the galaxy.

Darth Krayt was a master of Force lightning, using it to destroy stone fortifications, and instantly kill creatures with simple bursts. His mastery was such that he matched Darth Wyyrlok during their battle.

Darth Krayt was a powerful user of telekinesis. He could redirect objects thrown at him, or utterly destroy stone.

Darth Krayt had a talent for Farsight. He was able to see his rebirth and his ability to heal himself of the Vong implants. He could predict his future with incredible clarity.

Darth Krayt had developed a mastery of esoteric dark side abilities. He could use Sith magic to prolong his life despite his failing body, though he also used stasis to prolong his life as well. He could project Force illusions, Mind Walk, and use Force Drain.

Darth Krayt had even mastered the very rare Dark Transfer. He could use this ability to augment his healing abilities by considerable levels. He could use this ability to incapacitate, and resuscitate others at will, or even kill them if he so chose.

Krayt was also capable of seeing shatterpoints everywhere.

Darth Krayt has also showed the willingness to apply his impressive Force abilities in combat.

Edge: Exar Kun appears to be the more powerful Force user, mastering fully the esoteric powers of the dark side to destroy his foes. However, Darth Krayt has powerful abilities of his own, abilities that he has used to annihilate his opponents.

So it comes down to their willingness to use the Force in combat. Exar Kun has rarely used the Force in combat, but Krayt has and he has even defended himself against lightsaber wielding opponents through the Force alone. And while Exar Kun has Force blasts available to him, Darth Krayt is still more likely to use his Force abilities, so he gets the edge here.

Thoughts: Remember that the edge in the Force abilities section is more than just for the stronger Force user. There are many variables to consider. Also, it has been quite some time since I read anything in the Legacy era, so I apologize for anything missed or incorrect.

So who will win? Who is truly superior?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking this over and over, I see it coming down to this, who gets desperate enough to go for their ace cards first? either Kun goes for one of his big charge Blasts and kills Krayt that way or Krayt goes for Dark Transfer, I am not certain either of them would allow themselves to be killed by a lightsaber blade, they would eventually pull out their Force Prowess.

I've been thinking this over and over, I see it coming down to this, who gets desperate enough to go for their ace cards first? either Kun goes for one of his big charge Blasts and kills Krayt that way or Krayt goes for Dark Transfer, I am not certain either of them would allow themselves to be killed by a lightsaber blade, they would eventually pull out their Force Prowess.

I agree.

So following Rayla's line of thinking, I believe that Krayt would be the first to use his Force abilities.

Yes but I do not believe he will be the first to use the one that he needs to. Kun will take the early lead with his saber skills and Krayt will then fall back on his force abilities specifically Force Lightning and to me this is where its going to screw him Kun will be able to block it and for his preference that's when he will use the Force Blast. I don't think the first force ability Krayt is going to use is going to be Dark Transfer as unless its some one he has a personal affection or vendetta he will rely on his more basic powers first.

Yes but I do not believe he will be the first to use the one that he needs to. Kun will take the early lead with his saber skills and Krayt will then fall back on his force abilities specifically Force Lightning and to me this is where its going to screw him Kun will be able to block it and for his preference that's when he will use the Force Blast. I don't think the first force ability Krayt is going to use is going to be Dark Transfer as unless its some one he has a personal affection or vendetta he will rely on his more basic powers first.

I agree. I'm not sure Krayt would use Dark Transfer right away.

I haven't had time to go to in-depth with this yet but I have a personal concern. It has been derived and agreed with the fact that Kun is more powerful and skilled than Krayt. What's the point of being more powerful than someone else if you can't defeat them in a fair battle?

Granted, unpredictable events/errors can happen. However, in the analysis and in the material itself it is clear that these guys weren't prone to making battle mistakes. For example Anakin in ROTS. Anakin is more powerful than Obi-Wan and probably wins a majority if they did the same battle over and over again. However, in ATOC Anakin makes some foolish mistakes so he is obviously prone to making foolish mistakes again. But this is not the case with Kun and Krayt.

I guess I'm beating around the bush to my leaning towards Kun but does anyone else see what I'm saying/ever think about it this way before?

I haven't had time to go to in-depth with this yet but I have a personal concern. It has been derived and agreed with the fact that Kun is more powerful and skilled than Krayt. What's the point of being more powerful than someone else if you can't defeat them in a fair battle?

Granted, unpredictable events/errors can happen. However, in the analysis and in the material itself it is clear that these guys weren't prone to making battle mistakes. For example Anakin in ROTS. Anakin is more powerful than Obi-Wan and probably wins a majority if they did the same battle over and over again. However, in ATOC Anakin makes some foolish mistakes so he is obviously prone to making foolish mistakes again. But this is not the case with Kun and Krayt.

I guess I'm beating around the bush to my leaning towards Kun but does anyone else see what I'm saying/ever think about it this way before?

kind of but the most powerful lists do not take into account stylistic differences or mentality. So they are not the sole way to determine a winner.

The lists don't take into account who would win in a duel. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader is a perfect example of how the superior fighter is not always going to come out on top.

So I guess I'll get the ball rolling with an argument for Darth Krayt.

As previously mentioned Darth Krayt is far more likely to use his Force abilities in combat. I have no doubt that Exar Kun could win a straight up lightsaber duel, but few duels have ended up like that. Once Exar Kun's advantage in lightsaber skill starts to overwhelm Krayt, the One Sith leader will use his Force abilities. Darth Krayt has shown incredible raw power with the Force, thus I have little doubt that Krayt could seize the advantage in the duel through his more conventional Force abilities.

I would agree, but the moment Krayt pulls out one of his Force Waves or Force Lightning blasts, Exar Kun is going to reply in turn, then I think Krayt is in trouble, because Kun's Force Waves have proven more powerful and even a lesser Force Blast is going to cause Krayt serious injury, he is not going to be given the breathing room to use his healing powers, because Kun never relents in a battle.

I would agree, but the moment Krayt pulls out one of his Force Waves or Force Lightning blasts, Exar Kun is going to reply in turn, then I think Krayt is in trouble, because Kun's Force Waves have proven more powerful and even a lesser Force Blast is going to cause Krayt serious injury, he is not going to be given the breathing room to use his healing powers, because Kun never relents in a battle.

Understood. However, I believe that it is possible for Krayt to seize the advantage, however long that may last, by using his Force abilities first. Of course I never said that Krayt's abilities would secure victory, just that they could give him an advantage.

Edited by Aurbere

Meh. - My honest reaction to this matchup.

Jking.

Well, kind of, to be frank I'm not sure who would win this, and I don't much care. I don't find these characters particularly interesting from an abiliites perspective, they just seem to be the 'awesome all-rounder' type which are dull dull dull dull dull. But that is no attitude for the BattleZone am I right?

I digress.

As for who would win this, I think we'll all agree that Exar Kun is a stronger Force user and a more skilled lightsaber duelists. But I think we'll all agree that such factors alone do not decide the outcome of such a conflict. Just you wait, Traya is going to be ***-whooping her way to the top of the pile come Round 2. Just you wait...

But I digress again, and I'm sure your all very eager to here my opinions on this. So I won't delay.

Krayt wins. Simple as. Now go home.

Oh wait... you wan't reasons? What's that? You aren't enjoying my stream-of-consciousness-style-writing? Well that's too bad, because I am, and I'm pretty bored right now. So just suck it up and keep reading.

Such fun.

Anyway, reasons. Yes, Exar Kun is a the third most powerful Sith Lightsaber Duelist this galaxy has ever seen! Well, at least according to one of those lists made by that magnificent and awesome guy called... what's his name again? I forget. Oh well. Back on topic. Krayt is no chump either. He is a highly skilled lightsaber duelists as well and on top of that is an expert practitioner of Niman, of what we can assume to be the Sith variant. The same variant used by Exar Kun. You know what that means? It means Krayt isn't going to be caught of guard by Kun's unorthodox style, which ain't that unorthodox anymore. Sure the unusual hilt will catch him off guard and the whole dual phase thingy. But the guys got two blades... surely that counts for something right? Right? On top of that Krayt has what opponents such as Vodo Siosk-Baas lacked. Immense wells of dark side energy. We are talking swimming pools here. We are talking about a Sith Lord more powerful than Darth Traya herself. Yes you heard me.

No it doesn't make him as or more powerful than Kun, but such wells of energy will make him faster and stronger than Baas, combine that with his mastery of Niman and Krayt will fare exponentially better than him against Kun.

So now we've established than Kun is going to eradicate Krayt in combat, but will be in for the long haul, lets move on to the real factor here, Force ability. Yes Kun is superior but once again Krayt trumps him with his fancy tricks.

Force drain, that ability that everyone seems to like to dumb down when it comes to Traya is going to make an explosion on this thread cause Krayt is so powerfuuuuulsss. Right? Right. The main advantage of this ability is that it levels the playing fields, Kun is simply not powerful enough to resist it completely, and his knowledge of the technique will not help him in countering it. Kun is slowly going to have his power whittled away while Krayt grows stronger and stronger, faster and faster etc. etc.

But it gets worse. S-H-A-T-T-E-R-P-O-I-N-T, that other ability everyone forgets that Traya has. This is absolutely deadly in lightsaber combat, a conflict that revolves around precision and all that jazz. I've been told that Krayt possesses various talents of bad@ssery in this field so I expect it will come into play, and painfully. Krayt can see all Kun's weaknesses, weaknesses in his lightsaber technique, weaknesses in his psyche, weaknesses in whatever purple get-up he's wearing today, heck even weaknesses in his footwork. But these aren't just weakenesses, they are S-H-A-T-T-E-R-P-O-I-N-T-S. Shatter. Like

All Krayt has to do is exploit one of those shatterpoints and Kun falls apart.

But guess what? It gets gosh darn worse. That's right. Kun's going doooowwwn. All the way to monkey town. And he ain't coming back, not without bananas. And not the nice kind. Behold! Dark Transfer. Now I really don't know exactly what this ability is but is has something to do with shatterpoint, death, pain and general bad@ssery - and for that reason I'd expect that if Kun happens to be hit by such a blast he's going to be in for a world of pain. It likely won't kill him, but it will mess him up. Kun might be able to block it with his lightsaber, but it will certainly be an effective finishing move once Kun's defences are down. Which will happen when Krayt starts applying Force Drain and Shatterpoint.

Force blast? Force Drain. Force wave? Force Drain? All other powers? Force Drain.

Read all that? I'm impressed. Bye now.

TL;DR? What am I supposed to care? Please.

Edited by Beniboybling

Anyway, reasons. Yes, Exar Kun is a the third most powerful Sith Lord this galaxy has ever seen! Well, at least according to one of those lists made by that magnificent and awesome guy called... what's his name again? I forget..

I have two comments on this paragraph:

1. He's 6th most powerful Sith.

2. Oh and that magnificent and awesome guy you're referring to is actually #2 on the REAL Most Magnificient and Awesome Guy community list to someone named "sell-dog"

I have two comments on this paragraph:

1. He's 6th most powerful Sith.

2. Oh and that magnificent and awesome guy you're referring to is actually #2 on the REAL Most Magnificient and Awesome Guy community list to someone named "sell-dog"

1. Bah! An error

2. ...can't remember his name but, nope that definitely wasn't it. :D

I assume everyone is suitable stunned by my arguments and we are ready to announce the winner?