Best theory yet about Rogue One!

Captain_Zone

It appears that Kyle Katarn lives on! After the Expanded Universe imploded with the advent of the New Continuity, it looked like a lot of our favorite characters died along with it. Disney has decided to bring some of those characters back, even if just mentioning them. In Rebels, Shae Viszla is now canon, and possibly the rest of TOR too. It remains to be seen if that's the case, though. The main female lead in Rogue One, Jyn Erso, which sounds quite a bit like Jan Ors, and even has the same backstory, is partnered up with a guy who is 99% probably Kyle.

You can read the theory here. It makes sense!

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3859966

Not all that surprising.

Even after Disney made the announcement it was pretty clear that they would take some EU/Legends stories and make them canon again by incorporating them into TV series and movies. Why throw away all those GREAT stories?

BTW Don't get me wrong, when I heard Sabine say that she was part of House Viszla, I smiled and instantly made the connection. BUT just because Sabine is of house Viszla does not make Shae Viszla or TOR canon? It just means that House Viszla is canon.

First off, no, Shae Viszla is not canon. Only clan Viszla is canon, thanks to this guy http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pre_Vizsla well before Sabine was introduced.

Secondly, I highly doubt we'll get Kyle Katarn. We may get a non-force using version of him, with a different name, but don't get your hopes up too high.

Edited by MadDutchman

First off, no, Shae Viszla is not canon. Only clan Viszla is canon, thanks to this guy http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pre_Vizsla well before Sabine was introduced.

Secondly, I highly doubt we'll get Kyle Katarn. We may get a non-force using version of him, with a different name, but don't get your hopes up too high.

Whoa! Why all the negative waves? Stranger things have happened. It would be stupid of Disney to completely ignore the old Expanded Universe, as psandak said. To paraphrase, why throw away all of those great characters and tales?

Since Kyle Katarn is one of the most popular, having him in a "Dark Forces" movie, which is basically what "Rogue One" is, would get a LOT of Expanded Universe fans, myself included, to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. They ticked off a lot of us when they declared the old ExU non-canon.

As far as Clan Viszla goes, who says that Shae Viszla isn't a member? As I said in my ORIGINAL post, it remains to be seen which other elements of this game become canon in the future.

Let's just wait and see. :)

Whoa! Why all the negative waves? Stranger things have happened. It would be stupid of Disney to completely ignore the old Expanded Universe, as psandak said. To paraphrase, why throw away all of those great characters and tales?

Because thats just the stupid type of thing Disney would do, remove the EU as much as possible so that there is only their Star Wars.

But yeah I feel that they ripped Jacen/Jaina solo off in TFA anyway.

Since Kyle Katarn is one of the most popular, having him in a "Dark Forces" movie, which is basically what "Rogue One" is, would get a LOT of Expanded Universe fans, myself included, to give Disney the benefit of the doubt. They ticked off a lot of us when they declared the old ExU non-canon.

As far as Clan Viszla goes, who says that Shae Viszla isn't a member? As I said in my ORIGINAL post, it remains to be seen which other elements of this game become canon in the future.

Let's just wait and see. :)

No intention to be negative, just realistic. They may very well bring Kyle Katarn in one day (whether they use that name or not), but Rogue One is not likely to be it. Dark Forces turned into a story very much about the Force, which we already know Rogue One is not.

As for Shae Viszla, there is nothing at all to say that as far as canon is concerned. In Legends, yes, they are very likely in the same clan, but in canon, she doesn't even exist. The clan exists, but that is it. End of connection.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a wet blanket here, but people have been trying to contort themselves into arguing TOR as canon since the split. And if TFA taught us anything, it's that Dave Filoni is really the only EU champion left.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a wet blanket here,

In all fairness, you're having to be one because of the way others have been grasping at even the tiniest hint of a straw for things from the EU/Legends being brought back. Not that they're being used as part of a creative process, or inspiring other events/characters etc, but that they are being copy & pasted into canon.

On the plus side though, you're being an arse or nasty about how you go about doing it, so it's all good!

Because thats just the stupid type of thing Disney would do, remove the EU as much as possible so that there is only their Star Wars.

But yeah I feel that they ripped Jacen/Jaina solo off in TFA anyway.

Actually it was Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker they amalgamated into Ben Solo, AKA Emo Boy... err Kylo Ren. lol

But yeah, they made him even more emo than Anakin and that one dude in Twilight put together.

No intention to be negative, just realistic. They may very well bring Kyle Katarn in one day (whether they use that name or not), but Rogue One is not likely to be it. Dark Forces turned into a story very much about the Force, which we already know Rogue One is not.

As for Shae Viszla, there is nothing at all to say that as far as canon is concerned. In Legends, yes, they are very likely in the same clan, but in canon, she doesn't even exist. The clan exists, but that is it. End of connection.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a wet blanket here, but people have been trying to contort themselves into arguing TOR as canon since the split. And if TFA taught us anything, it's that Dave Filoni is really the only EU champion left.

Actually, the original Dark Forces had nothing to do with Jedi or the Force. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II was the one that made Kyle into a Jedi. Rogue One follows the events of the original.

Personally if/when Kyle does come back, I hope he stays strictly as just a regular guy, none of the Jedi nonsense. I don't mind him being a Jedi, but I found it more appealing when he was a Stormtrooper/Rebel Agent, relying on his training and weapons rather than The Force and a lightsaber. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Actually it was Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker they amalgamated into Ben Solo, AKA Emo Boy... err Kylo Ren. lol

But yeah, they made him even more emo than Anakin and that one dude in Twilight put together.

Well what I meant was they merged Jacen and Ben into one character, but I also can't help but feel as if Rey is Jaina too.

Personally if/when Kyle does come back, I hope he stays strictly as just a regular guy, none of the Jedi nonsense. I don't mind him being a Jedi, but I found it more appealing when he was a Stormtrooper/Rebel Agent, relying on his training and weapons rather than The Force and a lightsaber.

But if this happens could you still say that its still Kyle Katarn, in my opinion the force is also a part of that character as since its our 'histories' that shape our characters removing aspects of Kyles life will also mean that he is not the same guy.

But if this happens could you still say that its still Kyle Katarn, in my opinion the force is also a part of that character as since its our 'histories' that shape our characters removing aspects of Kyles life will also mean that he is not the same guy.

Sure he could still be the same guy, he pretty much was that guy up until at the end of the DF series. I mean he had bits and pieces of latent Force Sensitivity and rudimentary training, but he still relied on weapons and Stormtrooper training to push him through.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

With Jyn Erso being a bit obvious transiteration of Jan Ors, its quite possible they'll bring KK into the picture as well. However, like some have mentioned, the new direction of movie-based canon seems to take an intentional step away from past EU tendencies, for example how it abused things by just linking everything with force users and the Skywalker family.

You see a cool character in the past EU? The odds are he/she is either:

(a) he/she's some long lost family member, or a descendent of some other established, famous character

(b) he/she's a force sensitive and potentially a new Jedi

© he/she's a Skywalker bloodline, or somehow related to them

(d) all of above

If anything, I don't view these sort of contrived characterizations as creative or convincing... and its what made me move away from the EU. "Oh god, it's another Skywalker-Solo story, with the same cliches all over again..."

Currently many people are guessing Mads is perhaps casted as KK. He very well may be. But then does he have to become a Jedi again, like how every hero becomes a Jedi in EU? I don't think so. I don't think this is the direction the reboot is gonna take. IMO that's probably what they intended to make clear when the new EP7 reestablished that there was no explosion of new Jedis under Luke. I mean, the former Empire took many decades to try and make sure the Jedi were extinct. You certainly can't expect just a single generation from Luke can recover and make all that go away, and suddenly have enough Jedies to form a new, fully functioning Jedi Order.

The EU went this way, and I certainly did not like it . Everytime I see new EU material, it reminds me of the manga/animation "Dragonball". First, they said "Super Sayans" are ultra-rare and legendary... Then suddenly, the protagonist's rival becomes one Super Sayan, OK. That's two. Maybe its fate or destiny, since they are rivals... and then... they both get married, now the entire next generation become Super Sayans, and then their children pass on Super Sayans, and then there are suddenly some obscure, long-forgotten Super Sayans suddenly coming in to the storyline.. good grief... without the Sayan blood, you're basically nothing in that manga. *sigh*

So if every new generation of hero has to be a Jedi or a Skywalker-Solo bloodline, then what use are all the soldiers, agenets, leaders that fought for the Galaxy? Just collateral?

Why can't KK be just a normal human badarse?

If anything, that's what Rogue One seems to be about. The absence of the Jedi will be felt heavily, and the struggles of underdogs without any superpowers, in harsh situations, trying to fight the Empire. If KK is a part of that, then that's cool enough for me.

my 2cents

Edited by kweassa

A good analysis of things Kweasse, though there were some ****** non-Force User characters who weren't related to Solo or Skywalker.

Still though spot on and I can totally agree about Dragonball, personally, Super Saiyan should have just been it. No SSJ 2,3, 4 and now God SSJ. That just makes the whole "Legendary Super Saiyan" rather....well moot and pointless if there are like 5/6 levels to go through.

A good analysis of things Kweasse, though there were some ****** non-Force User characters who weren't related to Solo or Skywalker.

Still though spot on and I can totally agree about Dragonball, personally, Super Saiyan should have just been it. No SSJ 2,3, 4 and now God SSJ. That just makes the whole "Legendary Super Saiyan" rather....well moot and pointless if there are like 5/6 levels to go through.

I know, right? :D That's seriously I felt every time I saw a new Legacy, NJO series come out. I mean sure, the main title is "New Jedi Order" so it has to be about creating the new order pf Jedi, right? That much, I can understand. But still, the process is just too... I dunno... to me, every novel in those series felt like basically a fan-fiction with a lazy narrative and poor plot devices.

So for me, EP.7 was a godsend. They finally got rid of all those 'messy' 'explosion' of new Jedis under Luke. I mean, like, it's Luke... the greatest Jedi in the series, and he actually FAILS !! He's not a god. He can't do everything himself, and even in something as important as raising new generation of Jedi.. he fails in it.

Just imagine what Luke would have felt when he decided he failed, and would just give up and retreat into unknown parts of the galaxy. At that moment, his failure would weigh heavily on his heart. He WAS the greatest hero! Everybody thought he was the new beginning of the Jedi... but he actually FAILED in that task. My god, the emotion, the self-hatred, self-pity, disappointment, the impending feeling of dread and sadness, to think that he will be the last Jedi... feeling the responsibility, as he thinks he's failed Yoda and Obiwan..

...now a narrative like this, I can dig into. It's certainly 100% more interesting (for me) than Luke just becoming a Grandmaster of all the Jedi and everything flourishing, as if the Great Jedi Purge never happened.

And my god, every relative, descendent of Skywalker-Solo family becoming superduper blockbuster Jedi... heh. Nope. No more "Super Saiyan" stories in canon. What a relief!

...and now Rogue One coming, a Star Wars story with no Jedi!! It's gonna be actually Star WARS -- where soldiers, agents, tacticians, leaders... 'normal' people like you or me do THEIR part against the oppression of the Galactic Empire... h3ll YEAH...!

I mean, if I see KK in there, and then they decide to hint us he becomes ANOTHER Jedi or force user???? If that happens, I'd seriously be disappointed. If they drop some kind of hint as to Jyn Erso is Rey's mother???? That's even worse -- that's going right back to the 'lazy narratives and plot devices' -- as in, "Who is Rey? Oh, she's another descendent from another past-timeline character.... "... :rolleyes: Jesus Christ, I'd seriously be disappointed at something like this. No more originality, hello EU all over again. :rolleyes:

I mean, if I see KK in there, and then they decide to hint us he becomes ANOTHER Jedi or force user???? If that happens, I'd seriously be disappointed. If they drop some kind of hint as to Jyn Erso is Rey's mother???? That's even worse -- that's going right back to the 'lazy narratives and plot devices' -- as in, "Who is Rey? Oh, she's another descendent from another past-timeline character.... "... :rolleyes: Jesus Christ, I'd seriously be disappointed at something like this. No more originality, hello EU all over again. :rolleyes:

This is something that is bothering me to be fair, the films seem to be going in a direction that the only capable force users are the skywalker bloodline, Kyle Katarn is a kick-*** jedi in the games and a few books so why restrict force using to solo/skywalkers.

I just know they are going to make Rey a solo or skywalker and I know for a fact that will piss me off for exactly the reason I gave above, there are other powerful force users out their so why does everyone have to be a solo or skywalker.

This is something that is bothering me to be fair, the films seem to be going in a direction that the only capable force users are the skywalker bloodline, Kyle Katarn is a kick-*** jedi in the games and a few books so why restrict force using to solo/skywalkers.

I just know they are going to make Rey a solo or skywalker and I know for a fact that will piss me off for exactly the reason I gave above, there are other powerful force users out their so why does everyone have to be a solo or skywalker.

Dear god, let's hope not.

For the exact reason you've written I'm dearly hoping Rey is a 'nobody' -- not another 'descendent' of some Force-user bloodline. If Rey's parents were part of the resistance, that's cool. Even if its from a force-user/Jedi, its OK so long as its not someone famous.

But by god, if its another Skywalker-Solo.... :mad:

I mean... like, Zahn's character, Thrawn... people loved him and loved those novels because while it still had plenty of Skywalker Jedistuff in it, still Thrawn was a 'nobody' in terms of central narrative, so to speak. He wasn't another Sith... another Force user... another someone that borrowed previously established character. He was a militaryman, an alien species, and yet so bad-arse. Brilliant strategist and tactician, and didn't need to carry lightsabers. It gave us very colorful depictions of how the Empire was actually ruled when it wasn't all about Palpatine and Vader. The command, the military operations, the fleet, the 'normal people' caught up in the war...

...that's why I think Rogue One is also cool. I think it gives us a long, lost approach to the Star Wars universe without relying everything on the Skywalkers... something that was lost once everyone found a cheap and lazy way to come up with characters and storyline... hey, if its not Luke, Leia and Solo. then its their children... and then their children.. and their children... and more decendents... aaaaaggggghhh!! :D

I mean, if Donnie Yen's character is some other kind of force-user or force-sensitive, that somehow uses bits and parts of the force, but not like the Jedi, that'd be super cool. If he's another Jedi??? Good grief....:D

Edited by kweassa

Galen Marek, Kyle Katarn, Jaden Korr, Kyp Durron, Corran Horn

to name a few from the Empire/New Republic era. All very powerful, non of them Skywalker. I don't think it is that bad.

And Episode 1 (regardless of your feelings about it overall) makes it pretty clear why the Skywalkers are so important.

Honestly I fully expect Rey to be a Skywalker. It lets them not only have the old "the big bad guy is your relative" issue going on, but the "your teacher is actually your father who abandoned you" thing going on, and I kinda doubt they'd pass up that opportunity, especially considering Rey's personality.

No such reason at all. Visions are visions. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes however, lightsabers are part of the force, and carry with them kind of a signature of who's used them. I'm sorry to say, but Rei is likely a skywalker, but I really hope Finn is a force user and ends up coming to train with Rei and Luke.