is this game going to be non-canon ??

greekpower

after what the ceo of Lucasfilm said about the EU and that nothing. except star wars movies and clone wars and only the upcoming novels-games-books-movies ext. going to be canon i m concern .... share your thoughts and it would be wonderful if a bioware staff answer

I would think that's going to be the direction of editorial decision, yes. At least, it would not surprise me if that's what they decide.

Yes but i think its gonna be kinda difficult to be a non-canon there are elements in the game that George Lucas used in the prequel like Corucsant for example

The recent delay of the latest expansion for another EA title, Star Wars: The Old Republic, is unrelated to today's announcement. The Lucasfilm rep told GameSpot, "As far as The Old Republic MMO is concerned, nothing is going to change. [TOR] has always been a part of the Expanded Universe, and that's not going to change."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/lucasfilm-confirms-all-future-star-wars-content-to-be-canon-including-the-games/1100-6419225/

in my opinion the Expanded Universe (LEGACY) as all ways been better then the canon

Edited by Genuine

Let me answer the original question this way, yes this game is still cannon, thrawn is still cannon, and everything that happened in the novels is still cannon. Star Wars 7 is a glorified fanfic movie, and it should be treated as such. The novels have precedence here and if Disney wants to make a movie that contradicts all the novels, fine, but it should be treated as a fanfic film. Edited by DeltaBos

Look, the EU wasn't exactly ever true canon to begin with. Lucas stated idk how many times that it wasn't done in the direction he would have taken it. It was just there as a placeholder since at the time EP VII wasn't even going to happen. But now that it is, the decision to deem 35+ years of books and games in the EU non-canon was done to give the guys at Lucasfilm, JJ Abrams, Disney, and Lawrence Kasden a little more room with the creative freedom. I mean think about it, they had two choices and either one was going to piss fans off. Do they keep the characters from the books that honestly not every Star Wars fan has had access to, and confuse the hell out of people who don't know who said characters are, on top of piss off fans of say Mara Jade by screwing her up entirely?

But what of the second route? Where they say "Nope it all goes and this is how it really goes?" Yes it pissed off fans of the books as well as the games, but from a creative freedom standpoint, as well as a means to draw new fans into the SW fandom, it was honestly..the better choice. Either way, someone was going to get alienated in the fandom, and it's best to alienate the fans of the books in this case. Besides that, in the tweet from Jennifer Heddle, she herself said not to take anything she says regarding the videogames seriously, especially concerning TOR since it's a huge gray area. The new Story Group in charge of canon could very well still say this game is canon, which in turn would..honestly make KOTOR canon again, or they can say no it's not and you know what, it wouldn't hurt anything? Why, because if you truly enjoy the game, it shouldn't matter if it is canon or not.

Edited by DarkAngelRiku

That's actually a good piece of logic Rikku. That's pretty much what it boils down to, someone is going to be pissed. That's why I think that, for those of us who are fans of the books, should treat the new films at fanfics. If those who don't know the books think that this new story is how things went then that's fine, but for those of us who know about Starkiller, Mara Jade, the Vong war, Chewbacca's death, the whole Darth Caedus thing... we know the whole picture and many of us just flat out won't accept replaced stories. Again, those who don't know any better that's fine, they don't know the other stories that are getting demolished and if they want to believe that these new movies are cannon than it's hard to explain otherwise. Oh and the reason the guy who started this thread cares if this is considered cannon was because he, like most of us, want to feel like we're contributing to the Star Wars universe, "making our mark." If this game isn't considered cannon then technically our characters don't really matter in the big scheme of things and a lot of players would be ticked.

Your logic and the OP's is pretty good too, but think of this game in the way of another MMO based in a well established story. Let's take LOTRO for example. We know what happens in the books, we know none of LOTRO is canon (seeing as it has your toons meeting Frodo and Co.) You weren't contributing anything to the lore of Middle Earth right? Yet a lot of people still loved the game for the Middle Earth feel, and plenty still do. So...why not do that for this game? It may/may not be canon (as Heddle even said TOR is a huge gray area they're still trying to decide on), or it might not. So what if it isn't canon to the Star Wars universe? So what if your character doesn't have an impact (need I remind you technically everyone's toon is Barsen'thor or Darth Knox or Grand Champion of the Great Hunt). What matters is it has the Star Wars feel and that's the part you should be enjoying.

As for the Legends and the true canon, you're free to think what you want regarding what really happened and what didn't, it honestly won't change the fact the First Six and soon to be 7-9th movies, as well as Clone Wars and Rebels are the only true things that have happened so far. The thing I'm noticing a lot of the people who are upset by this is the fact they've forgotten that the Expanded Universe was -never- true canon to begin with. It was placeholder stuff that Lucas, or anyone who owns Star Wars can nix at any given time and say "Here's what really happened." Which is exactly what Lucasfilm, Disney, and JJ are saying. I mean..if Timothy Zahn can accept the fact none of his stuff is canon (with him being one of the best EU authors), why can't everyone else? He's not up in arms about it, so neither should you be.

Personally, I did like the books (the ones I did manage to get), and I loved Mara Jade and the Solo twins. Thrawn was a good story, but honestly, I'm excited for this new movie, and more importantly excited about seeing old favorites like Luke and Han again, and for the new story. Before the Legends fans say "this didn't happen because I refuse to acknowledge it" maybe you guys should give JJ/Disney/Lucasfilm a chance with Episode VII before you choose to just call it a glorified fanfic. You never know, you may indeed find yourselves calling it canon over the books, or you might not.

Edited by DarkAngelRiku