Test of Repair Costs

Totaltrash

Ya know, I think your sarcasm is in reality, truth. :mad:

BW needs to act fast, I havent seen 70 page threads pop up so fast in my life. Not only that, they will need to publicly apoligize for their blatent error, or the people that canceled their subs are not going to re-sub. I am not canceling mine cause i just plain love Star Wars IP but I would rather they keep a larger playerbase for me to sink my lighsabers into.:D

and that is precisely the problem... EA knows there are plenty of Star Wars lovers that they can just continue peddling crap to while cash grabbing them for every penny they have.

Sometimes some tough love is needed. The only language they understand or care about is MONEY

Personally with the direction this game is going I dont see how some of the stuff introduced here is even good for the Star Wars universe.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tested the following medium armor Chest pieces:

Tionese Field Tech Jacket

Campaign Field Tech Jacket

War Hero Field Tech Jacket

Warrior's Vest (Orange, level 15)

Covert Torse Energy Armor (adaptive Cartel)

All chest pieces had the same standard 51 Tionese Armoring/Mod/Enhancement

All chest pieces were tested with and without that enhancement

The test was done from 100 to 95 durability

The Covert Torso was done from 120 to 115 durability

My toon was naked except for the chest piece, Fathraa's Thugs were hitting me until 95 durability was reached.

Results:

Armor type - Sale price of Armor - Repair with Enhancement - Repair without Enhancement

Tionese - 5025 creds - 502 creds - 468 creds

Campaign - 7220 creds - 612 creds - 568 creds

War Hero - 1 credit - 251 creds - 207 creds

Orange - 65 creds - 254 creds - 210 creds

Cartel - 3105 creds - 338 creds - 302 creds

Repair Cost / Sales Price

Tionese 0.09

Campaign 0.08

War Hero 254.0

Orange 3.85

Cartel 0.11

The higher the sales prices, the worse the ratio becomes, the costlier the repairs will be.

Strong incentive to use PVP shells!

Repair cost percentage contributed by the enhancement:

Tionese 6.77%

Campaign 7.19%

War Hero 17.53%

Orange 17.33%

Cartel 10.65%

Summary: Repair costs depends overwhelmingly on the sales price of the shell, not on any enhancements!

Hence, I stand by what I've said before:

The increased repair costs CLEARLY DOES NOT reflect any kind of "bug fix" for enhancement costs.

Game Update 1.7: Return of the Gree

2/12/2013

•Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements.

Shame on you Bioware for lying to your customers! :(

P.S. If someone else has posted a similar test already, I apologize for the redundancy.

Another great post on what I view as a very important issue, particularly for people who have spent Cartel Coins on purple gear. Thank you very much.

Which suggests a bug. My level 36 sniper dies and pays only 1k in repair costs(I did do a specific test run for this). One possible bug I've heard is that it appears using remodded purples causes a cost to be charged twice.

I don't think it's a bug. The legacy shell headpiece is is worth 8k with no mods in it at all. This means a 10% repair would be 800+ (on that one piece of armor with no mods). I did a similar test to the OP with headpieces including the exalted legacy one. I came to the same conclusion he did. I haven't heard this remodded purple issue before. Can you elaborate so we can come up with a test to verify?

Yeah, I have to say that it might make some sense for sell price of shells to be scaled by item quality, and of course set to 1 credit for certain things to defeat credit farming. But repair cost should be fixed and completely flat based on the Rating of the item and the value of other mods inserted; nothing else. If it has the same Rating and the same level and quality of mods slotted, it should cost the same to repair. Full stop. Anything else is just going to lead to weird and stupidly borked imbalances between the repair costs of two pieces of gear that differ in no meaningful way.

They also need to just slash the repair costs across the board for endgame gear, back to 1/3 or 1/5 of what they curently are. But that's a separate issue.

Edited by Heezdedjim

And how often do you lose 40 durability on low levels? Once per 3 levels? If you tell me you are unable to get 10k at level 25 during 3 levels, then you are probably doing something wrong. And also, it seems that you have cash to spare, as full legacy augmented gear is not cheap.

Every time you tank a flash point. No more help-a-noob in those.

I'm amazed that Bioware did not fix the repair costs in the last patch.

At least they could have apologized for posting false information in the 1.7 patch notes, if they truly intend repair to work as it is now.

Very disappointing! :(

Anyway, I will re-mod my entire PVE gear to PVP shells, anything else is just a waste of credits, including their hyped Cartel stuff.

Edited by Totaltrash

As you can imagine, this test costs me about 100K in mod-swapping. I can afford that and I could afford these new repair costs too, but many people cannot, especially not fresh 50's in Tionese with no alts. If Bioware does not change this, it will be detrimental to the game.

But regardless how you feel about the costs, the point of this test was to show that Bioware's claim in the patch notes is plainly false! I don't know about you, but I do not enjoy being lied to when I pay for something.

I had well over 1mill credits by the time I was 50. And I know a lot of others who ranged between 600k to 1 mill as well with their first character. So not seeing the issue unless the person just blows his credits on stupid ****. Which is probably the case. Maybe people should start asking themselves "do I really need this."

OM BW LIED TO IT'S CUSTOMERS!!!!!

Wait, they have been doing this since before launch. Being dishonest is the norm for BW, nothing new. As long as you understand they want your money and don't care what they have to do to get it than it makes sense. It's capitalism, not really a new concept.

OM BW LIED TO IT'S CUSTOMERS!!!!!

Wait, they have been doing this since before launch. Being dishonest is the norm for BW, nothing new. As long as you understand they want your money and don't care what they have to do to get it than it makes sense. It's capitalism, not really a new concept.

Heh, I agree - but there should be a fine line between capitalism and fraud, or in this case false advertisement.

Anyway, my test was meant to explain where the increase in repair costs is coming from (NOT from enhancements) and perhaps to help people lower their costs by picking the right gear (PVP and cheap Orange).

Edited by Totaltrash

And the point of this test is...? Repair costs are never an issue since Bioware can see how much people are earning doing various activities if they want to.

PvP ? never pay a repair cost.Wipe 10 times on the same boss? Youll pay for it heavily.In general i give pugs about 3 chances to get a boss down.If not, im usually done since ive got other stuff i can do.Either way, ive NEVER and i mean NEVER been broke in this game.My idea of broke is dropping below 100k.

Ive poured millions of credits into our guild bank for tabs since i use it the most.My guild has me to thank for that.Ive modded battlemaster, WH,EWH ,and two raid sets on my own using credits ive earned in game AND pulled all the mods out.Ive crafted augment kits AND the augments themselves placing them and pulling them out constantly.

Not once have repairs been an issue.Ive given guildies thousands if not millions of credits for repairs, items they wanted or mods and repair cost was NEVER an issue.

So i fail to sympathize.I work a full time job ,and have a life outside the game as well (shock and awe! )

Have a great day!

P.S. As of this posting i just bought my fifth cargo hold for 2 million credits...just saying!

That's nice now you have a big nest egg, but if ths is left unchecked and the folks stop raiding, they stop buying off the GTN, We will have a GTN crash, this will effect everyone in game at some point, that big nest egg you have will dwindle, because even you wil be paying more for repairs in just every day game play, the flow of money will not be the same as it was before the extra cost, just like if the payroll tax at you job jumped up over 50% over night, you would not be able to buy the things you do now you might have a big saving but sooner or later it would dwindle. I have millions of credits also, so it will be along time before I feel the pinch, once people have to save every credit they make for crazy repair costs thats just sucks the fun out doing FP'S and OP's.. or pretty much anything

And Op I woul like to know about the Blue and Green repair costs myself. thanks..:)

Just did the same test with lvl 11 orange greaves and cartel market bottoms.

Durability taken down from 120 to 110 for both. Same mods inserted in both.

202 credits for greaves repair and 472 credits for cartel market equipment repair.

For those under 50, you pay significantly more for repairs using the cartel market gear.

I had well over 1mill credits by the time I was 50. And I know a lot of others who ranged between 600k to 1 mill as well with their first character. So not seeing the issue unless the person just blows his credits on stupid ****. Which is probably the case. Maybe people should start asking themselves "do I really need this."

personally i don't like going under 1 mil credits on any of my toons at any time but with that said I buy all purples for alts while leveling as I do mostly pvp to level (moot point about repair costs) but I do daily fp's only for rak weekly to get the coms and you can always plan on getting into a crap group as that's about 50% of the time. I buy augments, gear, etc to boost my abilities on my toons so if the occasional spend of 5 mil credits to buy several enhancements and armorings are stupid then I guess I'm guilty. Bottom line is you can spend at least 500k in repairs a week running ops in your guild working progression for your guild. No one wants to be forced to run dailies just because they don't craft or have lots of competition crafting and people constantly undercutting and things don't sell fast. The point is that they effectively tripled the repair costs as an effort to remove credits from the game. To many people sitting on to many credits it's their way of doing that but they are going to effectively change the entire economy of their game in a way that will detriment the player base. It's not going to help them bring in more money as lots of people who don't have lots of time to play are now going to go to outside sources ie websites selling credits in game to cope and bioware still won't get any of the pie. People will leave and fewer subs will result in even less revenue for bioware causing them to do more stupid changes or charges to make up the profit loss. Just my 2 cents

btw I couldn't believe my repairs on columi gear at 25% was over 55k. I can understand now why a normal que for LI as a dps is 20min - 1 hr was today a 3 hour wait without a single pop. No one wants to pay those repair prices.

As requested by several posters, I have incuded a Blue and Green Chest piece in the original table.

These new results are not kind to newbies... :(

Lesson: Use PVP shells and cheap (sales price) Orange gear if you want to save on repair costs!

Total,

Thank you very much sir for this information. You are a credit to the forums. I have done some additional testing that you may want to include.

First, for the same or a very similar amount of damage to any mod-able shell, I am consistently getting a cost of repair / sale price of equipment ratio of 0.08. This is true of artifact, orange, and cartel armor. I will test pvp gear on one of my 50's later. Are you certain that the durability of each item you tested was reduced by the same amount?

Some exciting news for pre-lvl 50's. CRAFTED orange modable armor usually sells for a fraction of the price of other orange modable pieces. What does this mean? Take a look:

1) Orange crafted boots lvl 11 Sale Price: 170 Cost to repair (110/120): 14

2) Orange non-crafted boots lvl 40 Sale Price: 1720 Cost to repair (110/120) : 143

All mods were ripped from these, so they were just the shell. It appears that crafted orange pieces generally have very low resale value to vendors, meaning that they also have very low repair costs. Crafters ftw!

Edited by tdgesq

Total,

Thank you very much sir for this information. You are a credit to the forums. I have done some additional testing that you may want to include.

Thanks! :)

Yes, I can include it or you could just post another table in this thread yourself. The more info we gather, the more options people will have to choose the best (cheapest) gear set.

First, for the same or a very similar amount of damage to any mod-able shell, I am consistently getting a cost of repair / sale price of equipment ratio of 0.08. This is true of artifact, orange, and cartel armor. I will test pvp gear on one of my 50's later. Are you certain that the durability of each item you tested was reduced by the same amount?

Yes, I'm certain that each item was at 95/100 (115/120 for the adaptive).

I tested each item twice, just to be sure that I get reproducible numbers.

Some exciting news for pre-lvl 50's. CRAFTED orange modable armor usually sells for a fraction of the price of other orange modable pieces. What does this mean? Take a look:

1) Orange crafted boots lvl 11 Sale Price: 170 Cost to repair (110/120): 14

2) Orange non-crafted boots lvl 40 Sale Price: 1720 Cost to repair (110/120) : 143

All mods were ripped from these, so they were just the shell. It appears that crafted orange pieces generally have very low resale value to vendors, meaning that they also have very low repair costs. Crafters ftw!

Correct!

The Warrior Vest (lvl 15) I used in my test was a crafted item and that shell vendored for only 65 credits.

That's not true for all Orange gear - some of the higher level orange stuff from FPs sells for a lot more.

Hence I recommended to re-mod to the cheapest (sales price) Orange gear possible, because only that ensures lower repair costs. Naturally, PVP gear is still the best option, but that's only available at level 50.

Yes, I'm certain that each item was at 95/100 (115/120 for the adaptive).

I tested each item twice, just to be sure that I get reproducible numbers.

All of my tests were done on 120 durability base. I'm wondering if you are getting different numbers on the adaptive due to B/W (correctly for once, maybe) basing the repair cost on the damage percentage. 95/100 is 0.95, while 115/120 is 0.96. Should still be very close though.

The Warrior Vest (lvl 15) I used in my test was a crafted item and that shell vendored for only 65 credits.

That's not true for all Orange gear - some of the higher level orange stuff from FPs sells for a lot more.

And that is very interesting. You have a crafted vest that is 4 lvl's higher than the crafted item I tested, yet it has a significantly lower vendor resale value. I'm beginning to suspect that there isn't a good system in place for pricing crafted items at the vendor, luckily for players since they all seem generally low. Please keep up the good work!

Amazing that we have YET to see a Bioware response truly addressing this issue and what fixes are planned. Multiple threads, hundreds of pages, thousands of views and SILENCE from the Developers for a week as of tomorrow. We got a "it's working as intended" from Beesodd and "we're looking into it" by Joveth last week, then nothing. It's mind-boggling.

The OP took a lot of time and credits to prove that the devs have NO idea what they are doing. Bioware should be embarrassed that a player could quantify what they couldn't or wouldn't and apparently knows their repair ratios better than they do. They pushed 1.7 with no QA because they KNEW stuff was broken; they just didn't care.

Since legacy and the Cartel Market are arguably the best features SWTOR has to offer at the moment, it makes zero sense that they intended to punish the players for using Legacy/Cartel gear. This is clearly a bug, and one they seem to have no intention of rectifying. Sadly, this is exactly what I've been in denial over for the last year.

The inmates aren't running the asylum; the building is empty.

I shudder to think what game-breaking bug will be pushed in the future.

This game had so much bloody potential. What a waste.

Last Week we were trying to kill Dreadtooth with 10 stacks of his debuff (We did it :D) and when I saw the repair bill......109k (I'm full Dread Guard) I was like "oh my god"

First Gratz and second the first thing i thought of when you siad "oh my god" was This...