Cathar as a Playable Species

iamthehoyden

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping that they would make Cathar a playable species. It will be interesting to play as a Cathar Jedi or as a trooper. Besides I have wanted to play a Star Wars game where you play as a Cathar since they introduced the species through Juhani in KOTOR I.

I agree.

An interesting tidbit though, is that the Cathar race was introduced WAAAAAY before KOTOR. The novel "Han Solo at Stars' End" introduced the race back in 1979! Before the release of "The Empire Strikes Back"!

They've been around a long time.

Cheers!

For SWTOR, even the Selkath have been remodeled to have human bodies. No surprise that the Cathar have become another "humans with bumpy heads" alien.

They were not remodeled much. In your link you provided, their is a picture of a Selkath wearing boots, and the only notable difference is that SWTOR only provides a "thin" model while the original KOTOR depiction had them appear as a little bit wider framed.

Their body structure is essentially humanoid, so I personally do not see the huge difference.

I too am a bit shocked by the scene with the male Cathar in the trailer... Cathar being the new playable race was what had me the most excited to be honest (not that i am not excited about the new planet and other new content - i am just so happy with a new race, and of all the races i would have picked the Cathar myself as the first new playable race. - May many more playable races be in the future!) ... so im not sure what to make of this make-up cat... though, again in all honesty, i wasnt sure i liked the male Cathar that are currently in the game as NPCs and this new model does look somewhat better than the squashed old male face - but then again the squashed one had a hell of a lot more character!

Come on - where is the fur??! :rak_confused::rod_confused_p::i_confused::jawa_confused::mon_confused: Excitement trap? :mon_trap:

They were not remodeled much. In your link you provided, their is a picture of a Selkath wearing boots, and the only notable difference is that SWTOR only provides a "thin" model while the original KOTOR depiction had them appear as a little bit wider framed.

Their body structure is essentially humanoid, so I personally do not see the huge difference.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, and I don't care enough to check, but the Rakata have had their physical appearance changed. In KotOR they had weird legs that were at non-Human angles, whereas in SWTOR the Rakata that appear are Humanoid in terms of body shape. Think it's a shame that Bioware don't put the effort in to get the species spot on :(

Not sure if it's been mentioned, and I don't care enough to check, but the Rakata have had their physical appearance changed. In KotOR they had weird legs that were at non-Human angles, whereas in SWTOR the Rakata that appear are Humanoid in terms of body shape. Think it's a shame that Bioware don't put the effort in to get the species spot on :(

I understand why they do it - i mean they would have to change all the gear in order to accommodate the new species.. which would be a long annoying process that would get in the way of other developments.

I personally would choose this as a priority and do it any way - this is a Sci-Fi!!! I cant stand that so much of Sci-Fi, films/tv-shows, consist primarily of humanoids. Humans only can imagine something they have seen before - you can make a creature with the fangs of a lion, the scales of a snake, the arms of a gorilla, etc. -> that limitation is bad enough... but to also then make humanoids everywhere simply because it is the easier path... i cant stand that. As far as i am concerned Sci-Fi should be as creative as it gets -> with a basis of science.

That said, considering how many people are impatient already, Bioware probably made the correct decision regarding whether to put a huge amount of their time into interesting and complicated alien species.

Edited by TheSunStar

I agree.

An interesting tidbit though, is that the Cathar race was introduced WAAAAAY before KOTOR. The novel "Han Solo at Stars' End" introduced the race back in 1979! Before the release of "The Empire Strikes Back"!

They've been around a long time.

Cheers!

That's right! Some of the very first SW novels. I liked that series.

Actually you're thinking Trianii, which are similar to Cathar but larger with heavier fur and tails. They're not quite as large as the Togorians though.

Their first intentional appearance was in Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith #1 in 1994. Myhr Rho in the 1979 Star Wars Holiday Special was retconned to being a Cathar in 2006.

I wonder how they've dealt with the clipping issues. I've noticed jorgan's forehead clips through some headgear.

I'm worried about the clipping issues that might occur with the larger Cathar body type. Like Master Quib (think that's his name) on Tython. Always wanted a character that looks like that... Tarzan-like :D

Double yay! :D I think Cathar is a great choice for a new playable species, and glad to see a thread about it here. ^^

I am super curious to see what options will be available for them too! If I can make one with a decent looking head of hair (I'm weird, I can't stand playing bald or near-bald characters, lol) I am totally making myself a kitty when they are released. Definitely saving a class/slot for one! And hopefully they will be unlockable through legacy too, like current species are. :)

Crossing my fingers for a lioness or snow leopard type of pelt! <3

I totally agree with you but I'm hoping for a jaguar or leopard pelt:D

Actually you're thinking Trianii, which are similar to Cathar but larger with heavier fur and tails. They're not quite as large as the Togorians though.

Their first intentional appearance was in Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith #1 in 1994. Myhr Rho in the 1979 Star Wars Holiday Special was retconned to being a Cathar in 2006.

I stand corrected! Thank you!

I guess my brain thought "Cat person, I remember those in Star's End!" and mixed up the two. My bad.

Cathar, Meh, cats.

Bring out the rodians already, I'd make a rodian hunter in a heartbeat. Imagine, stalking smuglers in warzones while quoting Greedo in your head.

Also I'm tired of all the near human species we have. We have the hulks scrawny siblings, blind people, zabraks and regular humans. Bring out the cool aliens.

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any rumors when we'll get our cute Cathar? Right now I finished my last Imperial alt... and the only Republic class I'd like to play is the Jedi Knight. And as I happen to have a very, very old charakter from roleplaying, who was a Cathar Jedi... you got the point, I think ;) As for rumors, I could only find 'this year', but maybe anyone found something more specific, like a month, or the season at last...

Can someone tell my BW's reasoning, if there is any to be had, as to why Cathar are the next species. I have no use for them and it seems it was an arbitrary decision.

Well, if you look at the post right above your post.

Are there any rumors when we'll get our cute Cathar? Right now I finished my last Imperial alt... and the only Republic class I'd like to play is the Jedi Knight. And as I happen to have a very, very old charakter from roleplaying, who was a Cathar Jedi... you got the point, I think ;) As for rumors, I could only find 'this year', but maybe anyone found something more specific, like a month, or the season at last...

There are many players who really look forward to playing a Cathar, I'm one of them. Wish we could start playing them right now. Hope that the next new species is more to your liking =)