Agent/Smuggler Roll

redfour

I'm sure there have been numerous posts about this, but a nerf needs to happen, and soon. Roll ruins huttball. And huttball has been popping a lot lately. Roll either needs a cooldown (something like 8-10 seconds?), or it needs to drain WAY more energy, OR a combination of the above stated things with roll a much shorter distance.

Every game with an agent/smuggler begins with the person rolling too the ball, or all the way to the opposite endzone. The first score happens within 10-15 seconds of a game. I rarely make "this needs nerf posts" but I play a lot of WZ's, and this is something I have been seeing happen over, and over and over again. There is no real way to counter this either. I don't want to have agents or smugglers nerfed into the ground, but this ability is insane.

I guess if you don't want to nerf the roll, then make no cooldown for my sorc's sprint ;) (just kidding about sprint, incase some of you didn't pick up the sarcasm).

I'm not a fan of roll either, but as per your sprint sarcasm joke...Roll takes a lot of energy to use. By the time they get the ball they have practically zero resources.

Not necessarily why I've seen. And I hear operatives talking about a hybrid they use to spam it.

Not necessarily why I've seen. And I hear operatives talking about a hybrid they use to spam it.

I don't know what Hybrid would be able to spam it. Only by going high up in Concealment does it become cheaper, and nothing I know of in the other trees increases energy regen to any significant degree.

There is an easy fix to this which I reckon is the way BW will go. Can't roll with the ball. Simple. Yeah sure they can get to the middle quick but if you have a few players with half a brain an op/scoundrel is rather squishy and they'll bug out or die fast or perhaps they may get the pass off but I doubt it. It will disappear in time just need to wait it out but in saying that, waiting for BW is painful, your more likely to die first.

There is an easy fix to this which I reckon is the way BW will go. Can't roll with the ball. Simple. Yeah sure they can get to the middle quick but if you have a few players with half a brain an op/scoundrel is rather squishy and they'll bug out or die fast or perhaps they may get the pass off but I doubt it. It will disappear in time just need to wait it out but in saying that, waiting for BW is painful, your more likely to die first.

Funny thing is the roll is kind of useless while holding the ball. Snipers get a lot more distance while holding the ball, since their roll isn't reduced by being slowed.

I honestly think adding a cooldown would fix the issue, i think somewhere around 8 seconds would be good

Ugh.

I don't think people realize just how much a cooldown would kill this ability. If it got a cooldown, the energy cost would have to be removed and it become unaffected by slows or roots just to stay even somewhat useful.

I don't know what Hybrid would be able to spam it. Only by going high up in Concealment does it become cheaper, and nothing I know of in the other trees increases energy regen to any significant degree.

Not sure but that's what I've heard. I do see some if them just spamming it though. Especially in huttball.

this is Operative/Scoundrel roll. Stop bothering us, Snipers and Gunslingers with your QQ, our roll is on 20s CD and is impossible to abuse the same way as OP/Scoundrels can.

Seriously? He was pointing something out, no need to get all defensive about it.

Also, pretty sure the Huttball counts as a snare, so you only roll 6m anyway.

I honestly think adding a cooldown would fix the issue, i think somewhere around 8 seconds would be good

Guessing you haven't played operative/scoundrel lately? When we don't count huttball, the roll is usually used as a cap closer and escape ability. As an escape ability, 12m, quite often 6m if the guy I'm trying to escape is clever, would be pretty useless. As a cap closer, 12m is usually enough if we talk about enemy who uses pushback and sits still after it. However, if the enemy uses their speedboost to escape, the roll would become completely useless, since the enemy could move far more than 12m with their boost.

I'd recommend a roll counter instead. If you do 2+ rolls in X seconds, you get a small cooldown then. If you can limit your roll spam, you don't have a cooldown. Just to give some kind of window of reaction.

It's just dang silly when you see them all chaining 3,4,5+ rolls non-stop.

I'd recommend a roll counter instead. If you do 2+ rolls in X seconds, you get a small cooldown then. If you can limit your roll spam, you don't have a cooldown. Just to give some kind of window of reaction.

You do realise, after about 4 rolls (5 if you're concealment) - you'll be pretty much completely out of energy, so no doing anything for like 30 seconds unless you have Adrenaline Probe up.

What's it matter if it lets you claim an otherwise out of reach objective? Or even just escape the fight to total reset?

Unless you decide to roll in circles around a bunch of enemies, being out of energy is not going to outweigh the advantage all those rolls gave you in the first place.

I'm not a fan of roll either, but as per your sprint sarcasm joke...Roll takes a lot of energy to use. By the time they get the ball they have practically zero resources.

U lie, they get full energy by popping some talents that gives them energy back.

U lie, they get full energy by popping some talents that gives them energy back.

They have cool head, gives them 50 (half) energy back, actually. But the remaining 50 will be recovered back in maybe 8 seconds. However, cool head has 2 minute cd.

What's it matter if it lets you claim an otherwise out of reach objective? Or even just escape the fight to total reset?

Unless you decide to roll in circles around a bunch of enemies, being out of energy is not going to outweigh the advantage all those rolls gave you in the first place.

Let's take the Hypergate pylon as an example, the pylon has a certain delay immediately after a blast where you can't cap it. Meaning if you and lets say, a shadow were to race to get to the pylon, you'd arrive first but be unable to cap and you now have no chance of fending off the shadow as you just used all the energy to roll there in the first place.

This is relatively sound solution, except that I would go with cost increase instead of CD. Let's say decrease base cost by 5 energy, and then each roll increases cost of rolling by 10 energy, for 6-8 seconds. 2 rolls cost same, 3 are still possible, 4th if you burn resource regen CD. But overall, it makes you do less rolls at once. Could be tweaked, to bigger base reduction/on-use increase, making it more usefull in fights, but less as long-distance movement tool.

This is relatively sound solution, except that I would go with cost increase instead of CD. Let's say decrease base cost by 5 energy, and then each roll increases cost of rolling by 10 energy, for 6-8 seconds. 2 rolls cost same, 3 are still possible, 4th if you burn resource regen CD. But overall, it makes you do less rolls at once. Could be tweaked, to bigger base reduction/on-use increase, making it more usefull in fights, but less as long-distance movement tool.

That is certainly another possibility, a cost increase on successive rolls in X time frame.

DweezillKagemand - What's the cooldown on Adrenaline Probe? What's the cooldown on pylon explosion waves? :p

I'm not sure there's actually a big advantage to racing to cap a pylon in Hypergate early either way though.

Not like in say voidstar, where being able to race to a door to place a bomb before anyone else can blink will pretty much end the game right there.

3 seconds. 4.5 seconds MAX and it wouldn't kill the ability.

This ability needs to remain very low on CD because it is a crappy ability. If you go up to 6 seconds, you need to remove the snare weakness thing on it (assuming you keep the high energy cost), and yet you would still cry because we'd be good huttball carriers.

It's a crappy ability that can be countered fully by a stun, mezz, root, and partially by a snare. With the abundance of the aforementioned (see: one of the many resolve qq threads), you should have no problem stopping an operative from rolling.

What? You can only stunlock for 8 seconds? Well, given the current TTK (see: one of the many ttk qq threads), you should have NO problem killing a squishy little operative.

L2p and stop whining. I've never has lost a huttball match due to an operative/scoundrel. They've gotten the ball first, yes, but it did nothing after we killed him.

Edited by Zunayson