Gunnery Commando PvE Guide

jesseleeca

Just 3 things I want to bring up

1) Why aren't you taking Charged Barrier? It gives 5% damage reduction, I know it got the nerf bat but still, many of the boss fights have raid damage going out and that 5% means healers get to heal the tanks more and generally lighten their load.

2) Why Concussive Force? It's a PvPskill that has almost no use in PvE except for trolling tanks/melee dps/people who throw down AOEs by knocking mob away. Granted it's hilarious as hell but IMHO Charged Barrier is much more practical.

3) I took Weapon Calibrations over Soldiers endurance because a) I don't need 2% more endurance, ~21000 hp is more than enough and if you're taking that much damage, you're screwing something up and 400 more hp won't save you; b) the increased dps. But if you find you do more dps without increased alacrity, go for it.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Why Concussive Force? It's a PvPskill that has almost no use in PvE except for trolling tanks/melee dps/people who throw down AOEs by knocking mob away. Granted it's hilarious as hell but IMHO Charged Barrier is much more practical.

I have Concussive Force in my build as well because it really comes down to either that or Heavy Trooper to get to the points needed to get up the tree and when I made my choice I didn't see the 2% end and healing bonuses as being enough to outweigh the usefulness of CF when soloing heroics. It's also useful for dog punting in EV if/when you go back for the weekly or to help gear up guildies new 50s.

This is the build I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McZrIkbRMdokfzZf.2

Edited by Furiel

I have Concussive Force in my build as well because it really comes down to either that or Heavy Trooper to get to the points needed to get up the tree and when I made my choice I didn't see the 2% end and healing bonuses as being enough to outweigh the usefulness of CF when soloing heroics. It's also useful for dog punting in EV if/when you go back for the weekly or to help gear up guildies new 50s.

This is the build I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McZrIkbRMdokfzZf.2

Sidenote: Haven't been to EV/KP in forever... As for gearing people up, I think we went straight for HM EC when we were gearing up our tank's alt sentinel, he got almost full Campaign the week he hit 50.

Back to the point. I acknowledge that 2% end/healing received isn't much, but as I said in the OP, any little bit helps and your healers will love you for it. It really comes down to the benefits in raids, little benefit (Heavy Trooper) vs. virtually no benefit (CF). And besides, I think if I got 4 extra meters to my knockback I would draw even more guild aggro from when I troll them and get /gkicked :D.

Edited by jesseleeca

Recently started putting one point in weapon calibrations and one point in First responder and I have to say I've been very pleased with the results. I realized that for whatever reason hammer shot pretty much grants first responder on demand even when you only have one point in it (so crits only have a 50% chance to give you the buff), which makes me feel a little better about using it.

Advanced Tech and Heavy Trooper are definitely worth it for PVE imo. Those little extra bits definitely help.

Edit: On rotations: I know it doesn't really hurt anything to open with Full Auto since you'll regen the two ammo back during the cast (or close enough it doesn't matter), but I always find myself going straight to the Grav x3. It gets the armor debuff on the boss 3 seconds quicker, and gets me to HiB and DR that much quicker. Plus I like to squeeze FA (for ammo regen purposes) in between HiB and DR, and while I can USUALLY depend on CoF proccing, usually isn't the same as always.

I've found even when keeping First Responder up a lot that you don't need to use Hammer Shot as much as you might think. The 4 piece set bonus is subtly amazing because it makes HiB free for us, and that means you should be using it on cooldown (unless the CD finishes during a FA channel). I try to use RP more or less on cooldown, preferrably when I'm at around 8-9 ammo and pair it with FA so I benefit the most from it's long channel time.

Others' thoughts on rotation? I feel like I keep missing the mark of where I should be and while our rotation isn't difficult that doesn't mean I couldn't be doing something better.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

Lots of good info here, thanks for the guide, I just have a couple general theory issues I've been trying to figure out to try to squeeze out just that much more DPS. Looking through some of the dummy parses deadandburied and a few other people posted I've noticed a few uses of things like plasma grenade and such which on boss fights I almost never use, and it leads me to the next couple questions...

Right now on occasion due to poor luck on CoF procs, etc I'll be running through my rotation and I'll have 5 stacks of charged barrel, no CoF proc and FA, DR and HIB are all on cooldown, when that happens what do you guys do? Currently I'll cast another GR and hope for a CoF proc, obviously this wastes a potential charge of charged barrel but as FA is our hardest hitting ability my theory is it gives the most DPS potential because of the CoF proc chance, but looking at those parses I'm now wondering if that's accurate.

My other main question also involves the use of HIB. Right now I use it generally on CD, but I will push back it's use if I don't have 5 full stacks of charged barrel. Obviously it's rare when it will come off CD and I won't have 5 stacks, but it does happen on occasion during movement phases or if I get really lucky with CoF procs. So I'd like to know if it's worth it or not to keep pushing it back or if I should be using it on CD regardless of having 2, 4 or 5 stacks of charged barrel.

First off. You macro and use Reserve Powercell, Tech Overide and Plasma Grenade. Only use when all 3 are available. Least that's how i use it. You don't have to use tech Overide btw. If you do you'll be using the GCD of 1.5 seconds. If you do not use it cast time will be less then the GCD based on your cast speed. I'm more often than not moving around so prefer to use it. If you prfer to wait for all 3 to be off cooldown then it's 2 minutes between uses. If you aren't using tech Overide it's 1.5 minutes between uses. I prefer to wait for the 2 minutes and use when i also have my Power on use relic used. On a single mob it's a dps increase. Use it when you have the mob fully armor debuffed. Only the dot is uneffected by armor. Use it when FA, HIB, and DR are on cooldown as well. For fights where there are adds it's best to save it for that. Minefield and last boss in EC. Adds on 1st boss in TfB. All are good examples.

For when CoF has not procced. You always use FA wether CoF procs or not. FA has priority over everything else when CoF is procced. When CoF is not procced HiB and DR have priority. Although if you're lazy like me i have FA and grav Round macroed together in that order. So quite often HiB and DR are delayed due to FA going off wether it has a CoF proc or not.

For HiB use. Now and then you won't have a 5 stack because of CoF procs, etc. I personally prefer to use HiB then DR following that. I always want it this way. HiB will use zero ammo. DR will use 2 ammo. Using them together like this it's a toal cost of 2 ammo in 3 seconds. Because HiB uses zero ammo this quite often put you in the higher ammo recovery rate as well. Which gives you the ability and or ammo to use DR. You don't want to delay DR use as it's overall dps is higher than any other ability except FA with a CoF proc. You also want to use HiB and DR together for the best ammo regen possible. So while HiB will hit ~6% less hard with a 4 stack it's still best to use it together with DR. Ammo regen and not delaying DR are the main reasons and overall this is a dps increase vs delaying the use of these 2 abilities. If i math it using my parses with a 4 stack vs delaying the use of HiB and DR is a 2 dps loss using a 4 stack. With a 2 stack it's a 29 dps loss. I can live with the 2 dps loss as my FA GR macro is a significant gain for me. So overall for me it's a gain with a 4 stack. Your macros if you use any and play style will effect this. I don't however use HiB with only a 2 stack though. To much of a loss.

Edited by deadandburied

For when CoF has not procced. You always use FA wether CoF procs or not. FA has priority over everything else when CoF is procced. When CoF is not procced HiB and DR have priority. Although if you're lazy like me i have FA and grav Round macroed together in that order. So quite often HiB and DR are delayed due to FA going off wether it has a CoF proc or not.

Personally I would give a fully buffed HiB+DR combo a higher priority over a CoF procced FA just because of the significantly longer CD and the fact that you get to do some ammo regen. Besides, CoF is still going to be there after you do the combo.

Personally I would give a fully buffed HiB+DR combo a higher priority over a CoF procced FA just because of the significantly longer CD and the fact that you get to do some ammo regen. Besides, CoF is still going to be there after you do the combo.
i prefer HIB + FA + DR as it spreads out the ammo usage a bit: half the ammo used every other GCD instead of all of the ammo being used in two consecutive GCDs

Power: Don't expressly take it over aim but if you're gaining 30 power and losing 20 aim, go for it.

I guess i still dont understand this...I was switching around a mod to get a look at it. I lost 8 aim and gained 30 power and my dps goes down.

Not really on the main topic of the guide, but

During the second phase, we put the melee dps on Firebrand and have everyone kill it. This is the part that gets tricky if you have 2 melee. Since DD will come before the DoT falls off you will have to rotate people taking it, if you have 3 ranged, it's a piece of cake, if you have only two, the healers will have to switch. What we did when we had 2 melee was have a ranged dps and the healer on Stormcaller eat the first DD, have that healer switch with the one running lightning on the ground and have that healer take the next one with the other ranged dps and just rinse repeat. And whatever you do, don't kill Stormcaller before Firebrand, F's soft enrage is crazy. And if you have more than 2 melee dps, sorry guy, you're screwed and should probably think about changing your raid comp, and besides, how the hell did you do Z&T?

If you DPS firebrand down first and your melee swap to stormcaller for the focused burn, you can have 3 dps and a healer (or 4 dps) rotating taking DDs, and no hopping up/down is required. It may make your healers a little happier.

OK let's look at delaying HiB and DR if CoF procs. Crit rates and crit multipliers already factored in. Damage based on my gear and dummy testing.

Average damage for hit/time

Average damage per tick*3/time

FA=2624*3=7872/3=2624dps (with CoF proc)

GR=2560/1.5=1707dps

HiB=3412/1.5=2275dps

DR=3864/1.5=2576dps

Let's try hitting FA when CoF procs VS delaying HiB and DR.

FA-HiB-DR-GR-GR-FA-GR-GR-FA-HiB-DR=21 seconds

3 seconds=7872/3=2624dps (this is higher)

6 seconds=7872+3412+3864/6=2525dps

9 seconds=7872+3412+3864+2560+2560/9=2252dps

12 seconds=7872+3412+3864+2560+2560+7872=2345dps

18 seconds=7872+3412+3864+2560+2560+7872+2560+2560+7872/18=2285dps (this is higher)

21 seconds=7872+3412+3864+2560+2560+7872+2560+2560+7872+3412+3864/21=2305dps

vs

HiB-DR-FA-GR-GR-FA-GR-GR-HiB-DR+FA=21 seconds

3 seconds=3412+3864/3=2425dps (this is lower)

6 seconds=3412+3864+7872/6=2525dps

9 seconds=3412+3864+7872+2560+2560/9=2252dps

12 seconds=3412+3864+7872+2560+2560+7872/12=2345dps

18 seconds=3412+3864+7872+2560+2560+7872+2560+2560+3412+3864/18=2252dps (this is lower)

21 seconds=3412+3864+7872+2560+2560+7872+2560+2560+3412+3864+7872/21=2305dps

Basically this tells us that there is no detriment to delaying the use of HiB if a CoF procs. However if you have to move and you ended with a FA then dps is greater then not delaying HiB. Add to that if you had to move at that time you'd have 2 instants available for use for HiB and DR. VS You used HiB and DR and can't use FA which then delays the use of FA. While moving now your choice is using Sticky and Hammershot or if you have Tech overide available you can GR for example. So not only did you have to use weaker hitting abilities while moving you also delayed FA usage. Granted we often find that we have to move during the middle of a FA. If you delay HiB and DR for a FA over the course of the fight FA would be interupted more often then not delaying HiB and DR as you're using FA more often. All of the above happens quite often in the course of a raid nite. Love when FA finishes and i have to move and have HiB and DR available for use while moving. Hate when i have to move in the middle of a FA.

You also have to remember we have latency, server lag, etc. Meaning for example let's say you hit an ability and your latency is 50ms and the server takes 50ms to respond. That's 0.1 seconds. I'd call that the absolute best case scenario. It's actually significantly higher than that for me on my server when you add lag to that. This means the less abilities you hit provides the least amount of total response time. Since we're delaying the use of HiB and DR during a CoF proc this means we're hitting FA more often and HiB/DR less often. 1 ability vs 2. Which means less ability usage and less total response time during the course of a raid nite. Which equates to higher dps.

Based on the above i believe delaying HiB and DR for a CoF FA does the greater dps during the course of a raid nite.

I do like the HiB-FA-DR for the best ammo regen. However i'll stick with my way of doing it FA-HiB-DR as i'm fine with ammo regen and believe my dps would be higher overall during the course of a raid nite as i'll get more FA's in and use less abilities overall. Granted this is really dependent on the fight, your ammo regen, lag, movement, play style, etc. But i do prefer 1 rotation vs 2 rotations based on differing variables. I'm lazy like that and feel i can do better staying with 1 rotation.

Now i'm not saying any of these are wrong. FA-HiB-DR or HiB-FA-DR or HiB-DR-FA, when CoF procs. Just pointing out that all 3 are viable and which i prefer and why. And forgive the math if it's slightly off. It's close enough.

Edited by deadandburied

i prefer HIB + FA + DR as it spreads out the ammo usage a bit: half the ammo used every other GCD instead of all of the ammo being used in two consecutive GCDs

Tried it out last night, worked like a charm, thanks for the advice.

If you DPS firebrand down first and your melee swap to stormcaller for the focused burn, you can have 3 dps and a healer (or 4 dps) rotating taking DDs, and no hopping up/down is required. It may make your healers a little happier.

Nice idea, don't know the exact reason we start on Stormcaller, going to edit the post and try this strat out next raid. As for making the healers happy, who cares? :p

@deadandburied

Thanks for the thorough analysis. The logic is sound and I don't see why it wouldn't work out that way, going to try it out next time I go on a raid. The only thing I have to bring up is that I usually use Tech Override with Reserve Powercell and Plasma Grenade instead of GR since it has a much higher damage.

@deadandburied

Thanks for the thorough analysis. The logic is sound and I don't see why it wouldn't work out that way, going to try it out next time I go on a raid. The only thing I have to bring up is that I usually use Tech Override with Reserve Powercell and Plasma Grenade instead of GR since it has a much higher damage.

I like to save Tech Override for an emergency off heal, and I really prefer to save Reserve Powercell for an 8 ammo Full Auto usage. Plasma Grenade just honestly doesn't seem worth it to me, especially since it synergizes with nothing in Gunnery.

HM EC

Toth & Zorn (T&Z)

1) Stay at max range. Your raid should have at least 2 ranged dps for this fight so you and him will be on Zorn at all times. Stay at >29 meters so you don't get Fearful, which gets handed out to people closer to Zorn when Toth jumps to him, and either kill yourself or screw up the damage since you'll have to switch targets.

2) When feet phase (aka Giant red spikes want to kill you phase) comes you will most likely not have time to stand still and cast anything so use your SG and RP+TO+PG and also HiB and DR to try to keep up your dps. And while you're running around remember not to get too close to Zorn since Toth often jumps right after feet phase.

3) A good time to pop the adrenal+relic=825 power combo is after a tank swap when the tanks have used taunt. Using it at the start of the fight after getting everything set up gives you more time to use it again but can be deadly if you pull threat of the tank and Toth decides to jump, giving both the ranged dps Fearful.

4) If you get the yellow reticle under you in Toth's berserk phase, run it to him, all the while trying to keep dps on Zorn. Just use the same abilities listed for feet phase.

Depending on your DPS situation I wouldn't even bother with relics or adrenals on Toth and Zorn. Even on 8 man we've found we run into the problem of getting to a jump before fearful has worn off the other tank. At that point adrenals and relics are actually hurting. Save it for under 10% and getting the mobs even. It's way more important that Toth and Zorn die very close to each other than it is to kill them as quickly as possible.

We're still trying to get through HM TFB (been integrating a lot of new members recently) so haven't been into NiM EC (also in no rush to spend more time there if I'm honest). New Firebrand and Stormcaller sound kind of annoying with having to switch people for the doubles. What kind of average DPS do you have to push to just split both groups up (2 DPS on each tank the whole time) and not hit a second double destruction?

I like to save Tech Override for an emergency off heal, and I really prefer to save Reserve Powercell for an 8 ammo Full Auto usage. Plasma Grenade just honestly doesn't seem worth it to me, especially since it synergizes with nothing in Gunnery.

I pretty much always use TO to throw an extra GR in during heavy movement if it looks like my stacks are going to drop off, such as T&Z move phase or if I get the yellow circle of doom on them.

As for using PG, I use it sparingly but I find times it is quite useful as it does more damage than GR, so on the rare occasion I can't use FA due to impending movement, I don't need to build any stacks and both HiB and DR are down I use it. But like I said, it's sparingly because it's REALLY rare all of those conditions are met.

Heals usually aren't that much of an issue and if I do need to heal myself, I just use Advanced Medical Probe with the 5 stacks of Charged Barrel. This may not be optimal but it's just how I do it

Depending on your DPS situation I wouldn't even bother with relics or adrenals on Toth and Zorn. Even on 8 man we've found we run into the problem of getting to a jump before fearful has worn off the other tank. At that point adrenals and relics are actually hurting. Save it for under 10% and getting the mobs even. It's way more important that Toth and Zorn die very close to each other than it is to kill them as quickly as possible.

DPS is never a problem for us, since our raid is well geared (full 61 to >half 63), just an old habit from a time when people weren't as geared i guess. It is a good idea for people who aren't fully geared up. As for tanks still having fearful, pst... our tanks are boss and can take it just fine :cool:. Only time we have to slow dps is when Toth is enraged to stop him from jumping before the Baridium Heave hits him.

We're still trying to get through HM TFB (been integrating a lot of new members recently) so haven't been into NiM EC (also in no rush to spend more time there if I'm honest). New Firebrand and Stormcaller sound kind of annoying with having to switch people for the doubles. What kind of average DPS do you have to push to just split both groups up (2 DPS on each tank the whole time) and not hit a second double destruction?

I wouldn't recommend splitting the dps for this fight since it will almost certainly lead to a second round of DDs. As for the precise dps needed, I don't have hard numbers in front of me so I'll have to ask the other people in my guild but it is the hardest dps check in the game right now and we had to have the heals throw DoTs on the tanks to make sure we cleared the enrage.

Ok guys, i'm gonna throw a weird idea here, but a gunslinger friend of mine did some math that shows replacing around 15% of his cunning for aim is a net bonus. Something to do with "logarithmic" (not sure, don't laugh ^^) progression of stat bonuses. The guy's serious, and now does a horrible amount of dps (2170+ on a 6min dummy), not even in full 63 gear (got two DG guns though). My GS guildmates followed his advice and saw a dps boost too.

So the idea here is : would it work for Troopers too ? Is there any math nerd around here willing/able to do som sims (as Methodical didn't implement their SimCraft for gunnery commandos before moving back to WoW) and sort this out ? Serious answers only please ;)

EDIT : Got my friend online, apparently the aim gearing only works for Sharpshooter spec, as Aim enhances distance damage and cunning boosts tech damage. As we gunnery do roughly 50% distance and 50% tech, I don't think replacing aim for cunning would be optimal. But maybe Assault spec should think about it though...

Edited by TheBigGregski

Just wanted to chime in again on a couple of things. The Aim/Cunning thing for gunslingers probably has nothing to do with 'logarithmic' curves (which is what the DRs are btw) since the DRs for primary are basically flat out to about 10x what we currently stack. And everything to do with the whole ranged vs. tech thing. Which I think is what your GS friend said when you clarified with him.

As long as Full Auto is a Ranged attack, it's a non-viable strategy for us. That said, if for some reason they decided to make full auto a Tech attack, we'd all be able to dump some accuracy as well as rethink the Cunning thing.

The other thing I brought up a couple pages ago was hitting DRs on surge/accuracy and whether or not alacrity makes sense at that point. After looking at our tree again, I realized that with the 30% increase to bonus dmg of FA and DR, this shifts the relative position of the surge curve compared to the others. In other words, even when you're at soft cap, it's worth it--to a point--to keep stacking surge. I'm not sure what the point is where it becomes beneficial to consider alacrity over surge but based off qualitative math (i.e. pulling it out of my rear end) it'll be at about the 400 points area. Something we won't be approaching until after dread guard. Or maybe not given that they stated they'll be going horizontal progression after this tier of gear. *shrug*

A corollary to this is that with FA being so much of our dmg, it's worth it to stack crit a little past DRs. I'm at 39% and loving life.

I may *actually* math it out at a later point, or do a proper ops dummy parse, but don't hold your breath.

FWIW in full 61 with 63 barrel, 3 63 armorings, and full 63 mods, I'm able to stand toe to toe with some excellent sents in identical levels of gear.

Edited by SafeJungleFever

Just wanted to chime in again on a couple of things. The Aim/Cunning thing for gunslingers probably has nothing to do with 'logarithmic' curves (which is what the DRs are btw) since the DRs for primary are basically flat out to about 10x what we currently stack. And everything to do with the whole ranged vs. tech thing. Which I think is what your GS friend said when you clarified with him.

As long as Full Auto is a Ranged attack, it's a non-viable strategy for us. That said, if for some reason they decided to make full auto a Tech attack, we'd all be able to dump some accuracy as well as rethink the Cunning thing.

The other thing I brought up a couple pages ago was hitting DRs on surge/accuracy and whether or not alacrity makes sense at that point. After looking at our tree again, I realized that with the 30% increase to bonus dmg of FA and DR, this shifts the relative position of the surge curve compared to the others. In other words, even when you're at soft cap, it's worth it--to a point--to keep stacking surge. I'm not sure what the point is where it becomes beneficial to consider alacrity over surge but based off qualitative math (i.e. pulling it out of my rear end) it'll be at about the 400 points area. Something we won't be approaching until after dread guard. Or maybe not given that they stated they'll be going horizontal progression after this tier of gear. *shrug*

A corollary to this is that with FA being so much of our dmg, it's worth it to stack crit a little past DRs. I'm at 39% and loving life.

I may *actually* math it out at a later point, or do a proper ops dummy parse, but don't hold your breath.

FWIW in full 61 with 63 barrel, 3 63 armorings, and full 63 mods, I'm able to stand toe to toe with some excellent sents in identical levels of gear.

I'm sitting just a tad over 35% Ranged Crit when fully buffed (circumstances had me briefly stacking power, and then I decided I liked it). Would love to see some hard numbers on this though. LagunaD did some maths a little while ago that seemed to indicate it didn't matter much.

I'd hate to have to go back and get some crit mods made though >_<

So I play Eyvan who is in full Dreadguard. I use the 7-31-3 First Responder build. The rotation I use that works really really well is, Grav round till 5 stacks OR Full auto procs, if FA doesn't proc DR->HiB (reason why DR is a bigger hit and should always be on cooldown when you have 5 stacks on the boss) HiB is the same way but it NEEDS the 5 stacks of charged barrel to do anything. Sticky grenade if you are moving and can't set for X amount of time. Reserve power cell on FA (with pro) if at or below 50% ammo. If below 25% ammo burn out fast and pop recharge cells. Also aim over power all the way with gunnery.

So I play Eyvan who is in full Dreadguard. I use the 7-31-3 First Responder build. The rotation I use that works really really well is, Grav round till 5 stacks OR Full auto procs, if FA doesn't proc DR->HiB (reason why DR is a bigger hit and should always be on cooldown when you have 5 stacks on the boss) HiB is the same way but it NEEDS the 5 stacks of charged barrel to do anything. Sticky grenade if you are moving and can't set for X amount of time. Reserve power cell on FA (with pro) if at or below 50% ammo. If below 25% ammo burn out fast and pop recharge cells. Also aim over power all the way with gunnery.

Why not HiB > DR for the better ammo regen? 3 Grav Rounds and a Demo will put you deep into mid tier regen.

I can't see that making a profound difference in ammo regen. I would say if it works for you knock yourself out. What I posted is what I have been doing for the last year ish. So all of it is second nature to me. Edited by spiewak

I can't see that making a profound difference in ammo regen. I would say if it works for you knock yourself out. What I posted is what I have been doing for the last year ish. So all of it is second nature to me.

I have to agree with Arc here. HiB and DR have the exact same cooldown, so order doesn't matter beyond its effect on energy regen. Going HiB -> DR is vastly superior to DR -> HiB because commando regen is non-linear. The free 1.5s of ammo regen is enough to give you a decent amount of headroom before you use DR.

I think that if you swap the order of those two abilities in your rotation, you will find your energy quite a bit easier to manage.