Can we please get a 306 Gear requirement in ranked?

GhOsTPrOz

It's really frustrating queueing for a match and having a guy in 273 gear with a tank tactical on his Sentinel DPS, and you know it's almost an instant loss.

The bolster system doesn't do enough for these players to be viable because they don't have proper set bonus (or any usually) or tactical and plus more often then not under geared players don't know their class/what they're doing either which adds to both the group and the players frustration.

It only makes sense to me to require 306 iLvL to queue for ranked.

306 iRating

Tactical Equipped

25 Valor

Should be the minimum requirements to queue for solo ranked.

Valor has no indicator to skill, but it does offer somewhat of a barrier to people throwing on multiple valor 1 toons without forcing legitimate players to get high valor through wzs, which most won't enjoy.

Edited by EnzoForMe

306 iRating

Tactical Equipped

25 Valor

Should be the minimum requirements to queue for solo ranked.

Valor has no indicator to skill, but it does offer somewhat of a barrier to people throwing on multiple valor 1 toons without forcing legitimate players to get high valor through wzs, which most won't enjoy.

We've all been begging for it for a long while now. It's rare to see such unanimity of opinion from the ranked community on something. Maybe for season 14 they'll finally do it. Part of the problem is that I think Bioware assumed bolster is doing a good enough job without understanding the importance of set bonuses and tacticals.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

You need to consider the circumstances. Imagine a person who is not good in PVP yet he ques ranked just to try and see it. Do you think it would help if he had 306 gear? Valor 100? Tactical equiped? I do not think so. If people wanna troll they will equip 306 gear, a tactical and what ever else you want and then swap gear when they are in the wz.

These limits would be nice, but they would not solve the problem in general. I guess that is why they were not implemented.

You need to consider the circumstances. Imagine a person who is not good in PVP yet he ques ranked just to try and see it. Do you think it would help if he had 306 gear? Valor 100? Tactical equiped? I do not think so. If people wanna troll they will equip 306 gear, a tactical and what ever else you want and then swap gear when they are in the wz.

These limits would be nice, but they would not solve the problem in general. I guess that is why they were not implemented.

I doubt that's what the devs were thinking. They weren't implemented because the devs thought bolster did enough. They were mistaken.

Obviously a 306 gear requirement wouldn't solve all of ranked's problems. But forcing someone to get to 306 at least makes them do something, and play their class a bit more. Simply put, it would filter out the people in 270 gear, which itself would be a big benefit. There may not be as many of those on DM, but we still get quite a few on SF.

And the best part is, there is literally no downside. There's no reason for anyone to ever queue in anything less than 306 gear in ranked.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

You know there used to be a minimum gear requirement for ranked before, right? And then the Devs for no reason removed it?

I would add "Have a set bonus". Having at least a two-piece set bonus shows that you've minimally prepared to do competitive play. It's not like it is difficult to get enough tech fragments to buy the gear pieces while farming up that 306 gear. (If it is an alt, then the 306 gear lets you farm tech fragments that much easier.)

I doubt that's what the devs were thinking. They weren't implemented because the devs thought bolster did enough. They were mistaken.

Obviously a 306 gear requirement wouldn't solve all of ranked's problems. But forcing someone to get to 306 at least makes them do something, and play their class a bit more. Simply put, it would filter out the people in 270 gear, which itself would be a big benefit. There may not be as many of those on DM, but we still get quite a few on SF.

And the best part is, there is literally no downside. There's no reason for anyone to ever queue in anything less than 306 gear in ranked.

Its very rare we agree on anything... but in this case we do. If you weren't already BiS everything, why would you bother queing something called ranked?

Its very rare we agree on anything... but in this case we do. If you weren't already BiS everything, why would you bother queing something called ranked?

My expectation of a mode called "ranked" would be that you start out at the bottom of a ranked ladder, having matches against people with ranks similar to yours. As you win, you would begin to climb the ladder, facing people with increasingly high skill and equipment levels. Eventually you would reach a level commensurate with your skill and equipment level above which you would be unable to climb, either because you were at the top, or because you couldn't reliably beat anyone above you.

In a reasonable "ranked" system, you wouldn't be paired in a match with or against anyone who is totally out of your league in terms of skill or equipment, so it wouldn't matter how badly you were equipped or cruddy your skils were, you'd mostly be playing against people who were at a similar rank to you. That would be what I would expect the whole point of "rank" to be.

I assume it would put 8 people of similar rank together provided there are 8 people of similar rank queuing.

What do you do when that assumption fails due to low population or outliers?

Edited by KendraP

I assume it would put 8 people of similar rank together provided there are 8 people of similar rank queuing.

What do you do when that assumption fails due to low population or outliers?

This. But also, it's just fundamentally unreasonable to go into ranked with anything less than 306, set bonus and tactical. You wouldn't try doing a hm/nim op with bad gear, why does anyone think they should be able to do endgame pvp with bad gear?

This. But also, it's just fundamentally unreasonable to go into ranked with anything less than 306, set bonus and tactical. You wouldn't try doing a hm/nim op with bad gear, why does anyone think they should be able to do endgame pvp with bad gear?

For three reasons:

1. Because it's called "ranked" and the implication is that the game is using a ranking system to put together competitive and fun matches by filling them with people at or around the same rank.

2. Because endgame PVP in both ranked and unranked provides rewards in the form of gearing. Why does Ranked PVP (or PVP of any kind) reward players with any kind of equipment, mods, or crafting materials? The implication of providing those rewards for completing matches and daily or weekly quests is that you should be improving your gear while you PVP.

3. Because the game doesn't stop you from attempting very hard or impossible things, it just kills you. These forums aren't full of people who are massively undergeared or underskilled wandering into ranked PVP and complaining that it's "too hard" and "ranked PVP isn't fun", the forums are full of people who shouldn't even be seeing those people in ranked matches complaining that those people are "not good enough".

It's really frustrating queueing for a match and having a guy in 273 gear with a tank tactical on his Sentinel DPS, and you know it's almost an instant loss.

The bolster system doesn't do enough for these players to be viable because they don't have proper set bonus (or any usually) or tactical and plus more often then not under geared players don't know their class/what they're doing either which adds to both the group and the players frustration.

Agreed. +1. From my experience everyone who is below 306 gear was just a troll, bot or a thrower

1. See my previous response. I assume the matchmaking does put players of a similar rating in the same match provided there are enough players of that rating in the queue. What happens when there's only 1 guy in 270 gear thats never queued before in the queue and 7 with max gear and a rating of at least 1500? Should they all have to wait? There is a low population and outlier issue - i.e. there simply aren't enough "good" players to have a "good" match and a "bad" one.

2. Endgame PvE drops rewards in terms of gearing too. Would you wander into a NiM op with 270 gear and expect bolster to carry you?

3. See point 1 and my previous question.

1. See my previous response. I assume the matchmaking does put players of a similar rating in the same match provided there are enough players of that rating in the queue. What happens when there's only 1 guy in 270 gear thats never queued before in the queue and 7 with max gear and a rating of at least 1500? Should they all have to wait? There is a low population and outlier issue - i.e. there simply aren't enough "good" players to have a "good" match and a "bad" one.

edit: Woof wrong window

Realistically if people REALLY want skill to matter they'll autobolster people to identical mastery/endurance/power regardless of gear level. you'll roll as many identical base statlines as you possibly can in an environment with differing classes.

Edited by Raazmir

2. Because endgame PVP in both ranked and unranked provides rewards in the form of gearing. Why does Ranked PVP (or PVP of any kind) reward players with any kind of equipment, mods, or crafting materials? The implication of providing those rewards for completing matches and daily or weekly quests is that you should be improving your gear while you PVP.

No, this is where you're mistaken. Queueing in anything less than 306 gear with set bonus and tactical puts you at a tremendous disadvantage, because virtually everyone else in queue has those things. You can gear other characters with the tech frags you net from ranked.

Ranked is unequivocally NOT the place to gear up. If you try to gear up via ranked, you are honestly trolling the queue, which is unacceptable.

edit: Woof wrong window

Realistically if people REALLY want skill to matter they'll autobolster people to identical mastery/endurance/power regardless of gear level. you'll roll as many identical base statlines as you possibly can in an environment with differing classes.

Bolster already does that. Bolster brings you up to the max item rating. But it doesn't give you a set bonus or tactical, which are essential. Not to mention, not having gear speaks to a much bigger issue: that you have barely any experience on your class in this expansion and that you don't take ranked seriously enough to gear for it. I have never seen someone in less than 306 gear perform adequately in ranked, ever.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

I assume the matchmaking does put players of a similar rating in the same match provided there are enough players of that rating in the queue. What happens when there's only 1 guy in 270 gear thats never queued before in the queue and 7 with max gear and a rating of at least 1500? Should they all have to wait? There is a low population and outlier issue - i.e. there simply aren't enough "good" players to have a "good" match and a "bad" one.

I think we all agree that if there are not enough players online of appropriate skill and gear to put together a ranked PVP match that's actually fun and competitive, no match should be created. Some on this thread want to achieve this by restricting who can queue so that only people at the top level of gear can participate, and I want to achieve this by fixing the matchmaking so it stops putting newbies into matches with experts, but still allows all players at max level to participate. It simply should not be possible to "troll the queue" by entering while undergeared or inexperienced, because if you do so, you should only be placed in matches with other people who are also undergeared or inexperienced.

My view is that if you believe that the ranked PVP player pool simply is not large enough as currently constituted, you should be looking for reforms to the rules which will lower, not raise, the barriers to entry.

Edited by tulkinghorn
additional thought

1. Get rid of vote kick. Players should never moderate a game. Especially not ranked players in SWTOR(lul).

2. At the same time make it so a player cannot queue for ranked, if he hasn't got 306 item rating and a tactical equipped.

Some people demand a full set + full augs for ranked, but i think 306 item rating and a tactical would be a good start.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe they are working on something at the moment to address this. But it might take them awhile to implement. Ie, don’t expect this year.

What do they need to "work on"??? All they have to do is re-activate Expertise as a stat...

#BringBackExpertise

Edited by KingDeathII