Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My Idea that I haven't seen in other games.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
My Idea that I haven't seen in other games.

VegaPhone
01.21.2013 , 12:38 PM | #11
To keep it interesting have the matches based on tournaments, and betting on that.

If its a random match then its just watching some action or highlights of combat, which would add some life... but to keep it interesting it should be live stream of games from tournies.

_Darkstar
01.22.2013 , 09:18 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Chickensevil View Post
I wouldnt be so sure on that. People love spectator sports and if you can bet on teams I think that would make it very active.
PvP games are hardly spectator sports though, and you really think people will want to log on and sit on the fleet watching other people play the game? That is like taking a TV down the park and putting that in the goalmouth while everyone sits around and watches the football.

It would be a very interesting feature, for 1 match, and then people would move on and forget it, or more likely come here and complain about a lack of content.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Sinnfein_Winters
01.22.2013 , 09:59 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
PvP games are hardly spectator sports though, and you really think people will want to log on and sit on the fleet watching other people play the game? That is like taking a TV down the park and putting that in the goalmouth while everyone sits around and watches the football.
Why not? They already just sit on the fleet already..might as well give them something to do. I like the idea and I think it would be great, kind of like watching any other sport...but it brings to mind of the Colosseum from the Roman Empire era.
Shadowlords Empire
Guildmaster The Harbinger Arcane Legacy
"What the frak?"

_Darkstar
01.22.2013 , 10:03 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinnfein_Winters View Post
Why not? They already just sit on the fleet already..might as well give them something to do. I like the idea and I think it would be great, kind of like watching any other sport...but it brings to mind of the Colosseum from the Roman Empire era.
If it was as easy as switching on a TV for them to watch it would be a good idea (It is a good idea), but the effort it would take to implement this in no way justifies the gain from it (It is not a practical idea).

When asking for new content that is significantly different to existing content (IE: Very hard to make) you need to ask yourself:
  • Will this bring a lot of new people to the game?
  • Would this stop someone from getting bored and quitting?

And the answer to both those is: no.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Sinnfein_Winters
01.22.2013 , 11:16 AM | #15
When asking for new content that is significantly different to existing content (IE: Very hard to make) you need to ask yourself:

That I do agree with, I don't think it would be easy at all or even feasible to implement, but would be awesome.
Shadowlords Empire
Guildmaster The Harbinger Arcane Legacy
"What the frak?"

Machine-Elf
01.22.2013 , 03:13 PM | #16
If it was as easy as switching on a TV for them to watch it would be a good idea (It is a good idea), but the effort it would take to implement this in no way justifies the gain from it (It is not a practical idea).

I actually think the answer to both of those is yes.

Anyway, this idea has already been addressed by the guy whose thread I have linked in my signature, except he used Huttball as an example.

I'm all for it. Maybe this way those holonet, or holovid (or whatever they're called!) things on fleet would actually be given some use.

VanguardT
09.04.2013 , 10:28 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I think it'd be sweet if on the fleets there was a section like the sports books in Vegas where there were some big boards and you could bet on and watch some WZ's. Maybe an upgrade to make the Collector's edition people not feel ripped off like we were. I.E. Collector's Edition vendor Access to it Up top on fleet or somewhere thereabouts. Free access for upgraded sub payers and NO cartel access cards/f2p. Strictly sub fun. I don't know how difficult that would be to implement but what other game has that?? I think it would be fun and attractive to get new people to play and stay subbed. An interesting way to make ingame credits for those that don't like PvE. Thoughts?
This would actually be simple to implement, you wouldn't need live feeds, just a board allowing matches with players names and stats next to them. You could have various betting areas, such as betting on player that will get the most kills, highest heals, most threat, winning team, and possibly score ranges. While the idea is a good one and would allow for some gambling, this would most likely not bring more people to the game as suggested in another post.

Omisri
09.04.2013 , 11:07 AM | #18
I wouldn't mind if I wasn't able to see the match but had whatever result mailed back to me (with my winnings if applicable).

It could of started off very basic with a mission giver, giving you a list of WZ's that are currently starting up (example the 1 Min 30 Seconds before the game starts and people load in). You could chose a few if you had the creds.

Live views could get complicated if it were like a live hub, due to the amount of WZ's in action at one time being variable. But you could still 'Holocall' in to the match, surely.
Kleck - Jugg Omisri - Maud Aeox - Assassin Meign - Sorc Idep - Stealthy Operative Jacke - Merc
SWTOR - No longer is it like the pain of a full bladder in your car on a long journey, relieved by a hidden service station. But the dissapointment you get when you find out you were not in a car - you were asleep, just wet yourself, and had to pay for new bedding.

DOHboy
09.04.2013 , 02:43 PM | #19
you do realize the opportunity to abuse this would be HUGE. A Pre-made gets in and has a 15:1 or larger odds against random pug mainly due to the number of "bets" on the pre-made (which is how odds are done based on number of bets etc). Now guild seeing their team is a 15:1 favorite goes in and bets against themselves (or someone bet for them). At which point they go in and throw the game due to "accidental" DC etc. and take their profits and keep going.

Watching matches would be one thing, actively betting on them MASSIVELY prone to abuse.