Shouldn't trash mobs matter?

TheKilltech

what's their Raison d'etre? their reason to be??

i mean they are only there to slow us down so we don't consume content too fast and to offer a tiny bit of immersion. but other then that they have no relevance for anything which is why we try to skip them as well as we possibly can. which again causes BW to use them differently such that it is impossible to skip them (skytroopers/KOTFE).

however an elegant solution would be to make smashing the trash matter in one way or another. for example in flashpoints/operations cleaning out all mobs/completing bonus objectives could offer some bonuses for the boss fights: either by buffs, temporary abilities or just reduced ads spawning in boss fights. therefore if people skip directly to the boss fights and fail a few times they would have the option to do some cleaning in order to reduce the difficulty instead of just giving up frustrated (which isn't fun). note that that would allow for a more nuanced difficulty setting allowing both hardcore and casual players enjoy the same content but playing it differently (i.e. less nerf threads).

in the open world they could additionally have a chance to drop some loot that starts a 'secret' staged bonus daily misssion with decent rewards or something. or thinking beyond the stone-age MMORPG design they could be used to start dynamic content (i.e. multi-stage/multi-objective open world operations with non linear progression depending on player number and player actions).

Yes, if everyone hates trash mobs, Bioware should either make them more easily skippable (not less) or give them more purpose. Bonus missions are not enough incentive for me to not want to skip them, especially with later-game expansion stuff after I'm already level-capped so the XP is worthless and the credit payout for those bonus missions is tiny.

there is a great 'quote' on design:

"Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away"

and by this measure SWTOR is far away from being a good design when it comes to trash mobs. yeah, sure all WoW clones probably are. i mean if one takes this quote to heart it really helps exposing big construction flaws. thus it would be cool if some designers at BW would do just that and start thinking on how to remedy it.

Edited by TheKilltech