Expanding the companion storyline...

SithKoriandr

...so there I was watching the new episode of Criminal Minds last night and I was brought to tears!

And today talking about the show, it had me thinking, why not expand on the storyline of character with losing your romance!

It was heartbreaking but it shows you just how into it you are! Make Chapter 5 the death of your romance option and it can have an NPC you pick up along the way as you seek justice/revenge of the same spec!

This would have the added bonus of changing the crews up a bit more amongst the players! Some would lose a male companion some would lose a female companion, and then replace them with a new one (whether they should be romancable or not, I'm not sure, possibly so people don't go "Now Im single! Noooo!"), but for those actually into the storyline, this could be that heart breaking moment and then a storyline of seeking justice/revenge, I think it would be a great next chapter!

I would LOVE to watch Corso and/or Quinn die.

*cough* I mean, yeah, that could be an interesting and tragic occurrence. But I think it'd be better suited to a single-player game, something where the revenge and resolution will happen and be over within another 20 hours; perma-losing your MMO companion, especially one you're emotionally invested in, would be extremely, extremely harsh.

I would LOVE to watch Corso and/or Quinn die.

*cough* I mean, yeah, that could be an interesting and tragic occurrence. But I think it'd be better suited to a single-player game, something where the revenge and resolution will happen and be over within another 20 hours; perma-losing your MMO companion, especially one you're emotionally invested in, would be extremely, extremely harsh.

Well I did say you replace them with another of the same spec. And the losing of someone you have that emotiona investment in, is what I thought would make the story so much better :)

If the storyline has you lose the character your character isnt interrested in (lets go with Skadge as he seems to be unpopular enough) then it's good riddace.

Now, lose you love interrest, and it becomes shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing, and you will want revenge/justice. It makes for the better storyline.

This would be a good thing and a bad thing. As the person above to eloquently put it, some companions make the story so much more enjoyable that you wouldn't want to play without them. But I do see the appeal of a tragic twist and on my 3 toons I would lose Andronikous, Torian and probably Kaliyo (Undecided) so wouldn't be bothered at all!

Sadly even if this got as far as a beta implementation it would be changed in the same way that we can no longer kill companions when we meet them, or how SW's who never become Darth's can call themselves Darth.

Well I did say you replace them with another of the same spec. And the losing of someone you have that emotiona investment in, is what I thought would make the story so much better :)

If the storyline has you lose the character your character isnt interrested in (lets go with Skadge as he seems to be unpopular enough) then it's good riddace.

Now, lose you love interrest, and it becomes shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing, and you will want revenge/justice. It makes for the better storyline.

IMO, if that killed every classes “love interest” it would lose the shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing moment that you trying to create. Also now every classes is in a revenge/justice story and the class stories have lost the distinctness that make you want to play it. However if it was only one class then I think it would have that shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing moment and a good revenge/justice story without being overdone.

I just hope it’s not the sith warrior because dark side or light side, Vette, Jaesa or Quinn I think that a story where a Darth lord has to deal with the ups and downs of a relationship could be more interesting than a revenge one.

Very bad idea indeed :

- there are a lot of players who don't care about romances at all and wouldn't give a damn about any of fhe LIs dying. So the concept of a whole expansion about the loss of your LI would be quite boring for them.

- those, like me, who do care for the romance and their LI would be angry/disappointed and probably leave the game over this. We want more content with our favorite companions, not our LI taken away from us :mad:

To quote another poster :

If they kill my Malavai I'm out!

IMO, if that killed every classes “love interest” it would lose the shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing moment that you trying to create. Also now every classes is in a revenge/justice story and the class stories have lost the distinctness that make you want to play it. However if it was only one class then I think it would have that shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing moment and a good revenge/justice story without being overdone.

I just hope it’s not the sith warrior because dark side or light side, Vette, Jaesa or Quinn I think that a story where a Darth lord has to deal with the ups and downs of a relationship could be more interesting than a revenge one.

You know. I hadn't thought of that! You're right, it'd be like leveling up a new character, you already ran the missions once, so while it would probably be good the first time through, the other times it becomes more of the same.

Very bad idea indeed :

- there are a lot of players who don't care about romances at all and wouldn't give a damn about any of fhe LIs dying. So the concept of a whole expansion about the loss of your LI would be quite boring for them.

- those, like me, who do care for the romance and their LI would be angry/disappointed and probably leave the game over this. We want more content with our favorite companions, not our LI taken away from us :mad:

To quote another poster :

If they kill my Malavai I'm out!

I can see many are against it. Like I said, just a suggestion based on a reaction from watching Criminal Minds. But I guess it would just be to much.

I agree that the structure of an MMO makes killing off the player's companions a bad idea, even though it could make for an epic story. That said, I do hope they continue the companion stories... the convo with Kira about how the Jedi should rule the Republic makes me think there's some very interesting story material there.

I agree that the structure of an MMO makes killing off the player's companions a bad idea, even though it could make for an epic story. That said, I do hope they continue the companion stories... the convo with Kira about how the Jedi should rule the Republic makes me think there's some very interesting story material there.

Oh, continuing the storylines with them, I hope, is just a given, even if it seems to be a slow process.

I think it would be a good idea, Bioware played too safe with this despite their early talk of being able o kill off companions.

Bring in some consequence.

I agree with this. I wouldn't make it love interests, but instead set up a scenario where one of your companions ends up having to sacrifice themselves to save everyone. After that companion dies you unlock a mission series where you get a 7th companion that replaces that missing companion.

I agree with this. I wouldn't make it love interests, but instead set up a scenario where one of your companions ends up having to sacrifice themselves to save everyone. After that companion dies you unlock a mission series where you get a 7th companion that replaces that missing companion.

ME1 style where you get to pick who dies?

I would like Vette to tell me that she cannot continue her life with me on my ship, that she seeks peace and that she is pregnant and want to offer our child a better place to grow up. She would try to leave my spaceship and I would force choke and throw out of the lock into ocean of stars, into the cold of the void !

I would like Vette to tell me that she cannot continue her life with me on my ship, that she seeks peace and that she is pregnant and want to offer our child a better place to grow up. She would try to leave my spaceship and I would force choke and throw out of the lock into ocean of stars, into the cold of the void !

You are a sick, sick, person.

You are a sick, sick, person.

I'm a Sith, Sith pearl so that is my vision on the future content. There are currently some moral choices, but it needs to get more of it and go much, much deeper, into complete negation of morals represented by what real world taught people

While not something I'd ever take the option for, that does seem to be typical Sith behavior.

I'm a Sith, Sith pearl so that is my vision on the future content. There are currently some moral choices, but it needs to get more of it and go much, much deeper, into complete negation of morals represented by what real world taught people

Ok, you are a Sith, Sith person! But seriously the game can’t go to dark because of the Teen rating. As it is I’m not sure how much darker BW can make it without going to an M rating.

• 3 weeks later...

I could envision Kaliyo "Disappearing" and a whole quest line following the intrigues of what happened in the unfulfilled hope of ever finding her again ...

I like the idea of killing off companions as harsh as it is. So long as the game mechanics the companion covered are covered off in a new way.

Edited by Rigermortis