Least boring republic class story?

Brutalisateur

Im fairly new to SWTOR and mostly just play it as a single-player game for the story elements. Ive got one Imperial Agent and one Sith Warrior and i think those stories are really interesting. But I thought Id try to play on the side of the good guys too, so Im trying to get somewhere with a republic character.

The problem is that I dont find any of the prologue stories for the republic classes to be very interesting. There are no hooks, nothing to draw you in. Just a bunch of generic "go get the baddies". So Im wondering if there is a story worth playing on the republic side, one thats actually better than what you see in the prologue?

Im fairly new to SWTOR and mostly just play it as a single-player game for the story elements. Ive got one Imperial Agent and one Sith Warrior and i think those stories are really interesting. But I thought Id try to play on the side of the good guys too, so Im trying to get somewhere with a republic character.

The problem is that I dont find any of the prologue stories for the republic classes to be very interesting. There are no hooks, nothing to draw you in. Just a bunch of generic "go get the baddies". So Im wondering if there is a story worth playing on the republic side, one thats actually better than what you see in the prologue?

I really enjoyed playing my Jedi Knight, was really sad when her story was finished. Currently got a little smuggler on Belsavis and her story has been wonderful as well. My friend had fun playing a trooper and my husband was happy with his Jedi Councillor. I guess it just comes down to what you personally like.

Roll one and give it a try, only you can really say what you feel like playing at the moment =)

Are you a big fan of the Force and the lore of the Star Wars EU? go for the Jedi Consular.

Want the typical Luke Skywalker classic Star Wars story? Jedi Knight.

Want to play a similar thing to the Clone Wars and the military style? Trooper.

Love Firefly? definitely Smuggler.

But of course it runs deeper than that and I'm sure eventually you'll find the one you like to play through, Jedi Knight is certainly the most 'epic' storyline for the Republic.

But in truth the Imperial storylines are so much better written, they really are, and no I'm not an empire fan, I love all aspects of the Star Wars universe.

I hated firefly (I dont like anything whedon does) but other than that I have no preference, other than that I like unpredictable stories with lots of twists and turns. I also prefer scenarios where the character is heavily invovled on a personal level and not just some helpful stranger/deus ex machina.

Yeah I think its the empire side that have the more personal/twist and turns in their story imo. I tried to play republic but I only got to taris. I would say roll a jedi knight their story is rather interesting out of the republic classes imo. Edited by lokdron

I did write another reply here but it disapeared when the site shutdown. But the gist of it was that I decided on a Trooper because of Jennifer Hales splendid voiceover. And now Im wondering if the story gets better or worse after chapter 1? Im on Nar Shaddaa now.

I have a level 42 trooper and thought the story was much better once you get to chapter 2. I also have an imperial agent that im waiting to play more once my trooper hits 50, and I love the agent story. Looking back, I wish that I would have rolled an agent first and made him my main, but I still love my trooper. :-) All in all it just depends on your own personal prefrence.

I have a level 42 trooper and thought the story was much better once you get to chapter 2. I also have an imperial agent that im waiting to play more once my trooper hits 50, and I love the agent story. Looking back, I wish that I would have rolled an agent first and made him my main, but I still love my trooper. :-) All in all it just depends on your own personal prefrence.

Always finish the Agent class last, do all the others first, because when you realise how many people from other storylines are involved in the agent's, well needless to say, mind blowing.

I've not gotten any of my Republic toons to far, but I can at least tell you that Smuggler and Trooper have the better early game hooks. Jedi Consular and Jedi Knight pretty much got me to the end of the planet and I felt like I had solved the big bad problem and that was that. For other stories, I finished the first planet and it felt like my story had only just begun.

I'd say finish all the other stories first, then do the Consular last.

The Consular story ties everything together, plus you'd be saving the best for last. I was surprised to be meeting characters from KOTOR, KOTOR II, the game trailers, characters from other class storylines, and even some villains and characters that are only otherwise seen in the Imperial storylines. There's plenty of cross-over and although the story does suffer from being slow in some parts, it was a total TOR-gasm for a lore junkie like myself. Plus the whole "secrets of the Force" thing.

It was really very interesting, but I'd argue it's harder to appreciate until you've seen all the other storylines first.

Edited by Jenzali

I'd say finish all the other stories first, then do the Consular last.

The Consular story ties everything together, plus you'd be saving the best for last. I was surprised to be meeting characters from KOTOR, KOTOR II, the game trailers, characters from other class storylines, and even some villains and characters that are only otherwise seen in the Imperial storylines. There's plenty of cross-over and although the story does suffer from being slow in some parts, it was a total TOR-gasm for a lore junkie like myself. Plus the whole "secrets of the Force" thing.

It was really very interesting, but I'd argue it's harder to appreciate until you've seen all the other storylines first.

Uh... okay. I thought it was frankly pretty bad. If you're into secrets of the force, inquisitor is much better. 90% of the consular story is being a diplomat in some form or another. I guess players who like diplomacy will probably enjoy that, but I sure didn't.

Uh... okay. I thought it was frankly pretty bad. If you're into secrets of the force, inquisitor is much better. 90% of the consular story is being a diplomat in some form or another. I guess players who like diplomacy will probably enjoy that, but I sure didn't.

In theory, yes, but the actual execution of the Inquisitor's story just falls flat on his face. It was advertised as being the Palpatine of the Old Republic. The guy that shoots lightning and manipulates half of the galaxy into serving him. What you get is a half-assed comic book villain with no real motivation for killing anyone other than just "For the EVULZ lul". Not only that, but the Inquisitor doesn't succeed at most of his own goals, and all of his evil plans are simply told to him rather than thinking them up himself.

Want a cult on Nar Shaddaa? Sure, two random civilians will think up the evil plan for you. Want to grow a powerbase? Okay, just follow everything that an old ghost says. So much for manipulation when you can't even turn your own companion to the Dark Side. In fact, after playing almost all the other storylines, no player character is actually on the receiving end of being manipulated more than the Inquisitor.

Of course, this all comes down to personal opinion. I just think at least Consular delivers as promised (a diplomat, a patient and wise Jedi. If diplomacy and the state of the Galactic conflict isn't your thing, that's fine too) while the Inquisitor is nowhere near a Palpatine and the actual quality of the storywriting is much lower than the Consular's. When you think of what a Sith really should be, the Warrior does it better in every way imaginable.

Edited by Jenzali

In theory, yes, but the actual execution of the Inquisitor's story just falls flat on his face. It was advertised as being the Palpatine of the Old Republic. The guy that shoots lightning and manipulates half of the galaxy into serving him. What you get is a half-assed comic book villain with no real motivation for killing anyone other than just "For the EVULZ lul". Not only that, but the Inquisitor doesn't succeed at most of his own goals, and all of his evil plans are simply told to him rather than thinking them up himself.

Want a cult on Nar Shaddaa? Sure, two random civilians will think up the evil plan for you. Want to grow a powerbase? Okay, just follow everything that an old ghost says. So much for manipulation when you can't even turn your own companion to the Dark Side. In fact, after playing almost all the other storylines, no player character is actually on the receiving end of being manipulated more than the Inquisitor.

Of course, this all comes down to personal opinion. I just think at least Consular delivers as promised (a diplomat, a patient and wise Jedi. If diplomacy and the state of the Galactic conflict isn't your thing, that's fine too) while the Inquisitor is nowhere near a Palpatine and the actual quality of the storywriting is much lower than the Consular's. When you think of what a Sith really should be, the Warrior does it better in every way imaginable.

I think the Inquisitor suffers from the medium they used. Everyone spends the entire game being told what to do by NPCs. Stop an pay attention for a minute; or just think back about the "decisions" you make. NPCs tell you what to do and you decide if you want to do it the LS or DS way. The Consular goes where Syo Bakarn says. The Warrior goes where Baras says. The Agent goes where Keeper says. The Inquisitor goes where Zash says. It just *seems* worse for the inquisitor because you want to pretend you're a free agent.

For the Consular...

Act I is a train wreck. The story pretends you have this deep and meaningful relationship with Yuon, who your character has known for either a few hours or maybe a few days depending on how you read the story. I think you even have a few dialogue options where you tell her how much she's influenced you. Uhuh. And then you go around curing all these people. Ok. Except the game informs you that curing them will "weaken" you, which amounts to being told you look pale once per planet. It's comical when at the end of Act I the Big Bad tells you how weak you've become, when you actually just leveled 10 times or so and aren't remotely weaker.

Maybe I'm alone, but I thought the way Syo Bakarn as the First Son was lame. It was telegraphed on early Voss, so it wasn't a surprise, but finding out that, instead of being this powerful Sith with awesomely deceptive and manipulative powers, he's just possessed, well... lame. Not to mention that after playing several Imperial chars, I don't buy the whole Child of the Emperor thing. No, sorry, but if these guys who are supposed to be instrumental in the Empire's war strategy weren't even mentioned in the conquest of Corellia (or anywhere) then no, they aren't that important. Sorry.

I'm not finished with any of them, so take this with a grain of salt, but...

I felt like smuggler's beginning was great, but the plot sort of falls apart

after you get your ship, as there's not much of a motive to do anything after that. You go, okay...got my ship. Now I'm supposed to...um, deliver cargo? Then, oh, wait! Yeah, running stuff around!

But the characters are excellent, a lot of the dialogue is hilarious, and it's a fun character to play. So if you want this crisp plot, it sucks. But the characters are awesome and there are a lot of delightfully amusing moments.

Jedi Knight is probably my favorite as the characters are wonderful and there really is the grand epic plot. Light side and darkside decisions also make a lot of sense in this class, and I think it plays pretty well either way.

Trooper's plot is very linear. I like most of the companions, but with the exception of Vik, they're all so nice that I feel like I'm in a pep rally half the time. There's a great hook, but absolutely no twists.

The plot is pretty much "you need to track down and kill these five people" and you do it just to be told you need to build your team. Which you do in the order you're given. Then you go off and support the war effort or something.

But...I think that trooper excels when it goes into shades of grey. You're a normal person, serving the Republic, and sometimes bad things happen. The LS/DS decisions you make are really tough, and take a lot more thought than "this is good" or "this is bad".

Jedi Counselor is hands down my least favorite. I seriously want to shock collar every one of my companions other than Zenith. Qyzen is a bizarre alien who talks in radio static and is obsessed with points. Tharan is a creepy, insufferable twit who is in love with a computer program (but will flirt wildly with a female counselor anyway). Iresso is about as exciting as watching paint dry. And the Nadia romance plays out like a freshman in high school hitting on her English teacher and the teacher lapping it up. (As she writes emo poetry in her trapper keeper and talks about your Force bond.) Beyond that, darkside choices make you come off as a psychopath, lightside choices make you come off as pretty pretty princess Mary Sue Jedi who heals everyone with her super special shield. At least there is something along the lines of a plot, and it does occasionally throw up a twist or two

Like Yuon, that dirty girl who betrayed her Jedi vows. Oh, and Zenith really is the slimiest politician ever. Tai totally deserves him.

. But I've been coplaying my Counselor with my friend's knight and wondering why we can't trade companions and storylines...

Obviously just my opinion. Different people are going to like different things. ;)

The JK story line itself is pretty decent. The trouble with JK is, you need to establish your character's backstory as having been bred in a vat and raised by droids programmed to turn him into the most bland individual the galaxy's ever known, unless you want to go crazy.

Seriously, everybody in the JK story line gets a personality, aside from the JK.

Truthfully, it's been so long since I went to the dark side, I couldn't tell you. I adored the storyline for my trooper - and that's one of 2 I actually finished before being seduced by the Empire. The consular story has potential, but didn't live up to that potential for me. The high point after chapter 1, well, after going to, I think, Balmorra, was a companion - not a romance companion. And funnily enough, a major part of that companion's background shows up in the Agent storyline...Bioware did well tying all of the class stories or companion stories together.

Thought you would want to know that the Republic Storylines start out slow but at a certain point start to draw you in.

So far the best Republic Storylines I have seen are the Jedi Knight, Jedi Concular, and Trooper. Havent seen any of the smuggler story so cant comment on it in anyway.

Thought you would want to know that the Republic Storylines start out slow but at a certain point start to draw you in.

So far the best Republic Storylines I have seen are the Jedi Knight, Jedi Concular, and Trooper. Havent seen any of the smuggler story so cant comment on it in anyway.

The beginning of the smuggler story is very good. I can't remember how far into it I got before I changed sides. But my hubby assures me that it's excellent, especially if you are male.

If you ask me the Jedi Counslar has the best overall storyline, it starts off fairly weak but get better rapidly, if you can push through Tython and Taris.

The Inquisitor is also really good, but it drags near the end of chapter 1 and start of chapter 2 for a bit, the rest is really epic.

That's strange, the general consensus of all the "rate the story" threads Ive read is that Consular is the least inetersting class story in the game. People have different tastes but if the majorityt of people dislike something, it's usually not good.