Star Fighter Analysis: TIE Interceptor

Wolfninjajedi

Yep another Star Fighter thread, so lets get to it! This time its looking at the Empire's TIE Interceptor!

=======================

"Your generic TIE grunt is just plain suicidal. And the TIE Defender jockey is bloodthirsty. But the TIE Interceptor pilot, he's suicidal and bloodthirsty. When you see a squad of those maniacs flying your way, you'd better hope your hyperdrive is operational."

―Kyle Katarn

The TIE interceptor was another of the TIE series used by the Galactic Empire, and unlike the TIE fighter its wings were in an arrow shaped unlike the TIE fighter with its Horizontal. Due to their speed, shape, and narrow profile in comparison to the TIE fighter, the Interceptor's nickname was "Squints" by enemy pilots. The new solar design gave the pilot a dagger-like appearance while increasing visibility and making it a much smaller target for ship gunners to hit. The original model came equipped with 4 L-s9.3 laser cannons, one installed on each wing tip, new targeting software was also installed which offered greater accuracy during complex flight movements.

Emperor Palpatine was aware of the superior abilities of the Interceptor and its low cost, and had planned to have the TIE fighter replaced and by the Battle of Endor they filled then 20% of the total Imperial fighter compliment and overwhelmed many Rebel fighters. Officers of the Imperial Navy sometimes adopted Interceptors as their own personal fighter, installing shield projectors and hyperdrives so they could be used as an escape craft, the Interceptor later became the basis for the Predator-class fighter.

========

Schematics of a TIE Interceptor= http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/7a/TIEint_schem.jpg

Roles= Space Superiority Fighter, Interceptor

Engines= SFS P-s5.6 Twin Ion Engines

Power Plant= SFS I-s3a solar ionization reactor

Shielding= None standard, can be equipped as an upgrade

Max Acceleration= 4, 240 G

Max Speed(atmosphere)= 1, 250 km/h

Sensor/Targeting/Navigation Systems= Equipped

Hyperdrive System= None, can be equipped as an upgrade

Hull= Titanium alloy hull

Avionics= SFS F-s4 flight avionics system

Armaments= Original Design= 4 SFS L-s9.3 laser cannons, Later Refit= 2 SFS L-s9.3 laser cannons, 4 blaster cannons, 2 multipurporse warhead launchers

Crew= 1 pilot

Cargo Capacity= 75 kilos

Consumables= 2 days

Other Systems= AE-35 subspace transceiver, ejection seat

============

Thoughts: Really this is the fighter that the Empire should have had designed first, but better late then never I suppose even if the Rebels had a fighter of their own to match it. It is a good fighter though for what it is and what its suppose to do, be good in dogfights.

honestly the Tie Interceptor is my favorite in the empire's squadron. it would be the only craft I'd want to fly if I were imperial. In Xwing v Tie Fighter i always took it with me (unless it was a bombing mission, then I took the gunboat.)

If the interceptor were a lady, she'd be the Christina Hendricks of the imperial fleet. Classy and shows up out of no-were.

honestly the Tie Interceptor is my favorite in the empire's squadron. it would be the only craft I'd want to fly if I were imperial. In Xwing v Tie Fighter i always took it with me (unless it was a bombing mission, then I took the gunboat.)

If the interceptor were a lady, she'd be the Christina Hendricks of the imperial fleet. Classy and shows up out of no-were.

Ya flew it a few times in XVT myself, nice craft.